What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (10 Viewers)

'thriftyrocker said:
'MAC_32 said:
'thriftyrocker said:
Which TE is worth more in a dynasty league: 27yo with 61/669 or 25yo with 61/667? Obviously the first because the 2nd should have gotten 80/1000.
Don't agree with this line of thinking, at all.Age and production are factors, they're not the only ones.
Talent, situation, and upside all favor the 25yo as well, IMO. Risk favors the 27yo. Not really looking to discuss the 25yo that much, just the difference between the two players in the rankings struck me. It seems affected a lot by fantasy points in the current season, which is swayed a lot by TD production. The lazy ranking is "well Pitta came out of nowhere and scored more FP so he's a TE1 trending upward." On the other hand, the other guy is younger, put up similar numbers aside from TD, is a better athlete, is on a better offense (for the time being). But we hate him. He only had 2 TDs so he was disappointing. So he's still trending downward. Rudolph is everyone's #5 TE including my own, but all he did was score TDs. There were rumblings throughout the season that he just wasn't that good. But hey he scored TDs so hype him up some more and maybe he'll score some more.
As someone who follows the Packers closely, I can tell you that since the "book" was written on Finley early this season, he's quietly been a lot better football player. Somewhere around midseason, he started meeting weekly with Aaron Rodgers. He's not been perfect by any means since, but he's been much more focused, and the drops have dwindled. He's also made a lot more key blocks. Obviously, that doesn't all go towards the stat column in FF, but the biggest thing holding Finley back has been his lack of maturity. He's probably still on his way out of GB, but that may actually help his target numbers. It is similar to the point that EBF is making regarding some of those RBs. Finley is cheap right now. He may very well be a great buy low.
Can easily say that shift in focus is financial driven though. His stock was fading and he's staring at his next contract. Once he gets it who is to say he won't regress back to the immature guy he was before?No one knows for sure, but ignoring that element in your evaluation would be a huge mistake.

'Concept Coop said:
I'm having a hard time valuing Foster vs. Morris. For a rebuilding team the answer is obvious. But for a contender, how foolish would you feel if the Texans invest in the OL and Foster returns to form for another year or three? Foster in his prime, with a better OL, can win you a title. This was obviously a down year. Is it the start of a trend, and he needs to be dumped? Or is a guy like Morris not enough, because of the risks associated with him and because of his seemingly deflated value because of his lack of pedigree. Ironic to ask about Morris' pedigree when also talking about Foster, but Foster was doubted after his first big season too. And Morris isn't 21 like Trent, he's 24. It's a conundrum to me.
Assuming non-PPR, I think it is close. You have to make a call on Foster's gas tank; what did his big dip in per touch production mean?I'd take McCoy, Peterson, Richardson, and Martin over Morris in standard formats. After that, it's a tough call. Charles, Foster, Rice, Spiller, and Morris are all in that mix.
Perhaps I am seeing this through rose colored glasses because I am a big Spiller fan, but I have a hard time not putting Spiller in the former group instead of the latter. For instance, I don't see all that much distinction between McCoy and Spiller. Both are electric talents, with Spiller much more capable of the home run play and McCoy a little bit better of a touchdown threat...albeit his system is now due for a massive overhaul and whether he remains the goal line back of choice with Brown as a backup is an absolute question mark. Spiller showed this year that if he is healthy, he is essentially situation proof- it doesn't get much worse than literally playing as the backup or lesser share of a timeshare for a player of his talent and he STILL put up a fantastic fantasy season. Even if he is never a workhorse back, the upside is obvious if he becomes the greater share of a timeshare, right?I think Spiller currently is a fantastic bargain, as I think the general consensus is to value him behind most, if not all of the players you mentioned. The only player I would definitely not currently trade him for is Trent Richardson. I would also have to think long and hard about trading him for Peterson or McCoy or Rice or Charles. After that, I think it is a no brainer. For instance, I feel like I would be getting a steal if I were able to get Spiller straight up for Doug Martin or Foster and ABSOLUTELY would be fleecing an owner that traded him for Alfred Morris as I believe Spiller is worth Doug Martin (or Foster or Morris) plus another player (this gives you an idea of what I feel the difference in talent level actually is and how much situation is altering their respective values currently). I am a big advocate of valuing situation for running backs much more than many people do, but not when I think there is a massive talent disparity (and I believe there is a very significant difference in talent between Spiller and the likes of Alfred Morris).You can probably repeat this exact same argument for Jamaal Charles, as I think he is essentially the clone of Spiller (perhaps a bit more talented, but with a bit more age). Jamaal Charles also feels criminally underrated and I can't imagine concretely valuing anyone but Richardson ahead of him (this goes more to the ranking a few posts ago that had Charles as low as RB10).On a different topic, I also believe David Wilson is essentially the premier buy low target for the "name" running back market during the off season. I think he showed all you needed to see over the last handful of games on the season. Sure his price has risen from early in the year and he is far from cheap at the moment, but his cost has not yet risen to the point where it equals his actual value. I find it EXTREMELY unlikely that David Wilson doesn't begin next year as the greater part of a timeshare at worst, with the possible upshot of being the bell cow if things break exactly right. Everyone always knew he had the talent and he began to show signs of putting it together last year. I can't imagine having him as low as some people do given these factors. For instance, MJD, Forte, and Ridley have no business being ranked ahead of him, in my opinion. After that, you can interchange Murray, Chris Johnson, Morris, and Lynch with him and I would not argue someone who preferred David Wilson to any of these players.I also think you can essentially repeat somewhat the same argument for Ryan Mathews who I see as another fantastic buy low (and if it isn't David Wilson, then Mathews is the best target for the "name" running back market). People are going to put WAY too much credence into last seasons abortion of a season despite the fact that the entire Chargers offense regressed to disgusting levels (meaning it was hardly just Mathews. QB, offensive line, receivers, tight end, and coaching staff all performed WAY below expectation, likely dragging each other down along the way). Just 1 season ago, he was putting up some of the best per touch metrics in the league, looked like a very talented player, and appeared on his way to joining the elite level of fantasy football running backs. Given how cheap he has suddenly become, I think it would be silly to base valuations on just last season when there are plenty of reasons to suggest it may have been more of an anomaly than the norm.

'Bronx Bomber said:
5. Brady6. Brees
I never understood this. Over the last 4 years, Brees has 450 VBD. Brady has 402. In the most Brady-friendly comparison possible, he's averaged 129 VBD per season over his last 5- which is, of course, hugely inflated by that insane 2007. Brees, over his last 5 years, has 114. No matter how you slice it, Brees has been as productive as Brady, if not moreso, and he's 1.5 years younger. That's not a huge deal when comparing a 21 year old to a 23 year old, but it's a big, big deal when you're comparing a 34 year old to a 36 year old. Brees probably has 50% more career left in front of him than Brady.
I agree. Rather have Brees if I had a choice.

Perhaps I am seeing this through rose colored glasses because I am a big Spiller fan, but I have a hard time not putting Spiller in the former group instead of the latter. For instance, I don't see all that much distinction between McCoy and Spiller. Both are electric talents, with Spiller much more capable of the home run play and McCoy a little bit better of a touchdown threat...albeit his system is now due for a massive overhaul and whether he remains the goal line back of choice with Brown as a backup is an absolute question mark. Spiller showed this year that if he is healthy, he is essentially situation proof- it doesn't get much worse than literally playing as the backup or lesser share of a timeshare for a player of his talent and he STILL put up a fantastic fantasy season. Even if he is never a workhorse back, the upside is obvious if he becomes the greater share of a timeshare, right?I think Spiller currently is a fantastic bargain, as I think the general consensus is to value him behind most, if not all of the players you mentioned. The only player I would definitely not currently trade him for is Trent Richardson. I would also have to think long and hard about trading him for Peterson or McCoy or Rice or Charles. After that, I think it is a no brainer. For instance, I feel like I would be getting a steal if I were able to get Spiller straight up for Doug Martin or Foster and ABSOLUTELY would be fleecing an owner that traded him for Alfred Morris as I believe Spiller is worth Doug Martin (or Foster or Morris) plus another player (this gives you an idea of what I feel the difference in talent level actually is and how much situation is altering their respective values currently). I am a big advocate of valuing situation for running backs much more than many people do, but not when I think there is a massive talent disparity (and I believe there is a very significant difference in talent between Spiller and the likes of Alfred Morris).You can probably repeat this exact same argument for Jamaal Charles, as I think he is essentially the clone of Spiller (perhaps a bit more talented, but with a bit more age). Jamaal Charles also feels criminally underrated and I can't imagine concretely valuing anyone but Richardson ahead of him (this goes more to the ranking a few posts ago that had Charles as low as RB10).On a different topic, I also believe David Wilson is essentially the premier buy low target for the "name" running back market during the off season. I think he showed all you needed to see over the last handful of games on the season. Sure his price has risen from early in the year and he is far from cheap at the moment, but his cost has not yet risen to the point where it equals his actual value. I find it EXTREMELY unlikely that David Wilson doesn't begin next year as the greater part of a timeshare at worst, with the possible upshot of being the bell cow if things break exactly right. Everyone always knew he had the talent and he began to show signs of putting it together last year. I can't imagine having him as low as some people do given these factors. For instance, MJD, Forte, and Ridley have no business being ranked ahead of him, in my opinion. After that, you can interchange Murray, Chris Johnson, Morris, and Lynch with him and I would not argue someone who preferred David Wilson to any of these players.I also think you can essentially repeat somewhat the same argument for Ryan Mathews who I see as another fantastic buy low (and if it isn't David Wilson, then Mathews is the best target for the "name" running back market). People are going to put WAY too much credence into last seasons abortion of a season despite the fact that the entire Chargers offense regressed to disgusting levels (meaning it was hardly just Mathews. QB, offensive line, receivers, tight end, and coaching staff all performed WAY below expectation, likely dragging each other down along the way). Just 1 season ago, he was putting up some of the best per touch metrics in the league, looked like a very talented player, and appeared on his way to joining the elite level of fantasy football running backs. Given how cheap he has suddenly become, I think it would be silly to base valuations on just last season when there are plenty of reasons to suggest it may have been more of an anomaly than the norm.
If you mean PPR, then I agree with most of what you said. I rank Spiller just above McCoy right now and also ahead of Foster. I believe the prior posts you were addressing were talking non-PPR though.

The time to buy Spiller was a year ago. Or better yet, before last season. His value is sky high right now and most of the people who own him in my leagues are huge fanboys. I don't even want to know what it would cost to pry him away.

I'd disagree that he's more talented than Doug Martin though. I think too many people equate talent at RB with speed and explosiveness, which is why people rave about the talent level of flashy backs like Charles and Spiller. Not to say that those guys aren't supreme talents, but their speed and quickness comes at the expense of bulk and power. I think Doug Martin is as talented as Jamaal Charles. He just has a different kind of talent.

I can understand the reasoning of ranking the smaller backs really high, but I wouldn't personally give up Martin or Richardson for a Spiller or Charles. He's got everything you'd want in a back for the NFL and for FF.

Perhaps I am seeing this through rose colored glasses because I am a big Spiller fan, but I have a hard time not putting Spiller in the former group instead of the latter. For instance, I don't see all that much distinction between McCoy and Spiller. Both are electric talents, with Spiller much more capable of the home run play and McCoy a little bit better of a touchdown threat...albeit his system is now due for a massive overhaul and whether he remains the goal line back of choice with Brown as a backup is an absolute question mark.
McCoy is an entire year younger and that comes into play. McCoy will be 25 going into next season, Spiller will be 26. 25.5 was my 2012 baseline age for RBs(top 25 options dynasty options). I don't blame those who don't value a 1 year age difference that much, but I personally do. Aside from that, I would likely have them in the same tier.

Last edited by a moderator:
The time to buy Spiller was a year ago. Or better yet, before last season. His value is sky high right now and most of the people who own him in my leagues are huge fanboys. I don't even want to know what it would cost to pry him away.

I'd disagree that he's more talented than Doug Martin though. I think too many people equate talent at RB with speed and explosiveness, which is why people rave about the talent level of flashy backs like Charles and Spiller. Not to say that those guys aren't supreme talents, but their speed and quickness comes at the expense of bulk and power. I think Doug Martin is as talented as Jamaal Charles. He just has a different kind of talent.

I can understand the reasoning of ranking the smaller backs really high, but I wouldn't personally give up Martin or Richardson for a Spiller or Charles. He's got everything you'd want in a back for the NFL and for FF.
Is this the sort of talent that leads to him setting an NFL record for career yards per carry and rushing for 1500 on the worst team in the league a year after blowing out his knee? Or is this more the kind of talent that Mendenhall has- the kind that leads to him getting passed over by Ike Redman and John Dwyer?

I think a lot of what you say has merit. I believe it is a truth that the big play, explosive players tend to get a talent upgrade over the more consistent churners in a lot of people's minds, even if the overall stats put up by both types of players are relatively equal.I also am totally in agreement with your stance on not trading Richardson for either Spiller or Charles. I have seen "it" from Richardson and despite his incredibly disappointing finish to the season (at least from an efficiency metrics standpoint), have no problem projecting him as a great player once the situation improves around him. There are a lot of times that I saw Richardson run and came away impressed, thinking he simply looked better/bigger/stronger/tougher/more aggressive than everyone playing against him.

However, I am just not as sold on Doug Martin yet as I probably should be (and I am an owner in 2 leagues). I think he is a good player, but not a great one. I fully believe Spiller and Charles are great players. I don't say this because Spiller and Charles are freak speed/athleticism guys who can take any touch to the house. I say it because when I watch them play, I come away impressed that they simply look better than the guys around them in many areas. Spiller is a small guy who is blindingly quick, yet he is deceptively difficult to bring down. There was one play in week 16 against Miami where he got a goal line carry and, despite the fact that he didn't score, I remember coming away incredibly impressed with how hard he ran and how difficult it was for Miami to bring him down. It started up the middle/slanted to the right, he got shut down, fought off a tackle, bounced it outside to the left, fought off another tackle, bounced it further outside to the left before meeting another defender and eventually being forced out of bounds just short of the goal line. Several defenders met him and had a chance at him, but couldn't bring him down. This is a typical thing for him (or at least more typical than it should be for a player of his size and build). Charles, on the other hand, seems to ALWAYS be able to find the hole when it is there and maximize it. I have rarely seen a player so capable of always finding the right place to go.

I feel that Spiller and Charles are much safer than Doug Martin because their talents translate to ANY system or situation and can impact any team. Hell, the Bills and Chiefs are 2 of the more dismal teams in the NFL and there is very little offensive talent surrounding them, yet both running backs still managed to put up great seasons. Spiller had to deal with being the backup and then the lesser half of a timeshare for a lot of the year and still thrived. I currently feel like Doug Martin is more dependent on volume and situation to put up great seasons. We are probably splitting hairs and I am even possibly biased and being too hard on Martin as an owner (because I don't want to get stuck holding the bag on a rookie season where he performed over his head), but I feel much more comfortable projecting Spiller and Charles for 1500+ yards and 10+ touchdowns for the next bunch of years than I do Doug Martin. Maybe I am just misreading Martin, but he doesn't "wow" me as a player that simply looks better than everyone he is playing against yet. He looks good, but not THAT good.

Is this the sort of talent that leads to him setting an NFL record for career yards per carry and rushing for 1500 on the worst team in the league a year after blowing out his knee? Or is this more the kind of talent that Mendenhall has- the kind that leads to him getting passed over by Ike Redman and John Dwyer?
:unsure: Shouldn't even dignify that with a response, but my point is that there's a lot of ways to skin a cat and one shouldn't necessarily be valued over the other. The difference between Martin and Charles is kind of like the difference between Dwayne Bowe and Mike Wallace. They can both get yards, but they do it in very different ways.

Whereas Charles has better home run speed and quickness, Martin is bigger and stronger with better ability to bounce off hits. So saying that one is clearly more talented than the other is probably a bit misguided. They have a similar talent level, but are good at different things.

I think people generally overrate the flashy aspects (speed/quickness) compared to the more subtle qualities. Hence why you tend to hear more about the talent level of speedy backs like CJ/Charles/Spiller/McFadden compared to guys like Gore/Martin/Rice who have just as much ability, but achieve their results in a different fashion.

I feel that Spiller and Charles are much safer than Doug Martin because their talents translate to ANY system or situation and can impact any team. Hell, the Bills and Chiefs are 2 of the more dismal teams in the NFL and there is very little offensive talent surrounding them, yet both running backs still managed to put up great seasons. Spiller had to deal with being the backup and then the lesser half of a timeshare for a lot of the year and still thrived. I currently feel like Doug Martin is more dependent on volume and situation to put up great seasons. We are probably splitting hairs and I am even possibly biased and being too hard on Martin as an owner (because I don't want to get stuck holding the bag on a rookie season where he performed over his head), but I feel much more comfortable projecting Spiller and Charles for 1500+ yards and 10+ touchdowns for the next bunch of years than I do Doug Martin. Maybe I am just misreading Martin, but he doesn't "wow" me as a player that simply looks better than everyone he is playing against yet. He looks good, but not THAT good.
Different strokes for different folks. I actually think Martin is the safest pick of the three and the most versatile. He can literally do everything. Run with speed. Run with power. Juke tacklers. Break tackles with strength. Run routes downfield and catch the ball away from his frame. Make defenders miss after the catch. He doesn't have the awe-inspiring speed of someone like Spiller, but when you are an A- back in every category, the cumulative grade is an A+. I see his future being something like Ray Rice, Frank Gore, Matt Forte, Marshawn Lynch, and Arian Foster. Those guys don't always catch the headlines with flashy big plays, but they fill the box score every week with their versatility. You put this guy in your lineup and you know he's going to rush for 60+ yards and catch 3 or 4 balls every week. That's just gold in PPR leagues. Nevermind the fact that Martin is tied with the flashier Charles for third in the NFL in 20+ yard runs behind only Peterson and Spiller. He wasn't just an accumulator. He made quite a few special plays.

:unsure: Shouldn't even dignify that with a response, but my point is that there's a lot of ways to skin a cat and one shouldn't necessarily be valued over the other. The difference between Martin and Charles is kind of like the difference between Dwayne Bowe and Mike Wallace. They can both get yards, but they do it in very different ways.

Whereas Charles has better home run speed and quickness, Martin is bigger and stronger with better ability to bounce off hits. So saying that one is clearly more talented than the other is probably a bit misguided. They have a similar talent level, but are good at different things.

I think people generally overrate the flashy aspects (speed/quickness) compared to the more subtle qualities. Hence why you tend to hear more about the talent level of speedy backs like CJ/Charles/Spiller/McFadden compared to guys like Gore/Martin/Rice who have just as much ability, but achieve their results in a different fashion.
Okay, so there are lots of different kinds of talent. I'll take the kinds that lead to you averaging half a yard more per carry than any other RB in the history of the game. In case you missed it, this is me vehemently disagreeing with your claim that Doug Martin is as talented as Jamaal Charles. Nowhere close.

Edit: and don't try to tell me I conflate speed with talent. I was down on Tatum Bell and Felix Jones and Leon Washington way before it was fashionable. I've long sung the praises of Mike Anderson. I think Emmitt Smith was as talented as Barry Sanders. I'm a frequent Rice defender- often from you. My favorite RB in the league is MJD. I'm one of the biggest pro-AlfMo guys posting. I don't think Charles is better than Martin because he's faster or has better highlights. I think so because he's better than Doug Martin. The NFL record for ypc just confirms what my eyes have always told me.

averaging half a yard more per carry than any other RB in the history of the game.
This doesn't get nearly enough attention.He could see his Y/C average drop by around 20% for the next three years and he'd still own the record. And he's only 26 next year (less than a year older than Spiller).

Okay, so there are lots of different kinds of talent. I'll take the kinds that lead to you averaging half a yard more per carry than any other RB in the history of the game. In case you missed it, this is me vehemently disagreeing with your claim that Doug Martin is as talented as Jamaal Charles. Nowhere close.Edit: and don't try to tell me I conflate speed with talent. I was down on Tatum Bell and Felix Jones and Leon Washington way before it was fashionable. I've long sung the praises of Mike Anderson. I think Emmitt Smith was as talented as Barry Sanders. I'm a frequent Rice defender- often from you. My favorite RB in the league is MJD. I'm one of the biggest pro-AlfMo guys posting. I don't think Charles is better than Martin because he's faster or has better highlights. I think so because he's better than Doug Martin. The NFL record for ypc just confirms what my eyes have always told me.
Like I said, different strokes for different folks. As I've stated elsewhere, I think the ability to handle a high volume of touches is a talent and it's one that Martin has demonstrated to a greater extent than Charles. Martin's 368 touches are more than Charles has ever logged in his entire five season career. Small backs are generally more explosive than big backs, but they typically lag far behind in terms of touches. That's no different this year, with 8 of the top 10 NFL leaders in carries (and all of the top 5) being 215+ pounders. Even if you're right that Jamaal Charles is more talented than Martin, it doesn't show up in the FF numbers. Martin easily outscored Charles in all of my leagues despite Charles having the best season of his career. Charles was like the DeSean Jackson of RBs this year: all or nothing. In my most generic PPR league he had 7 single digit games compared to just 3 for Martin. Yes, Charles had some awesome weeks where he single-handedly won games for his owners, but he also had far more weeks where he would've killed your squad. I'm the type of owner who values solid, reliable scorers over feast-or-famine big play artists. I would much rather have a guy like Michael Crabtree than Torrey Smith. Likewise, I would rather have Doug Martin than Jamaal Charles. I'll be perfectly content to hear how wrong I am about this for the next several years as long as Martin continues to churn out superior FF seasons.

Okay, so there are lots of different kinds of talent. I'll take the kinds that lead to you averaging half a yard more per carry than any other RB in the history of the game. In case you missed it, this is me vehemently disagreeing with your claim that Doug Martin is as talented as Jamaal Charles. Nowhere close.Edit: and don't try to tell me I conflate speed with talent. I was down on Tatum Bell and Felix Jones and Leon Washington way before it was fashionable. I've long sung the praises of Mike Anderson. I think Emmitt Smith was as talented as Barry Sanders. I'm a frequent Rice defender- often from you. My favorite RB in the league is MJD. I'm one of the biggest pro-AlfMo guys posting. I don't think Charles is better than Martin because he's faster or has better highlights. I think so because he's better than Doug Martin. The NFL record for ypc just confirms what my eyes have always told me.
Like I said, different strokes for different folks. As I've stated elsewhere, I think the ability to handle a high volume of touches is a talent and it's one that Martin has demonstrated to a greater extent than Charles. Martin's 368 touches are more than Charles has ever logged in his entire five season career. Small backs are generally more explosive than big backs, but they typically lag far behind in terms of touches. That's no different this year, with 8 of the top 10 NFL leaders in carries (and all of the top 5) being 215+ pounders. Even if you're right that Jamaal Charles is more talented than Martin, it doesn't show up in the FF numbers. Martin easily outscored Charles in all of my leagues despite Charles having the best season of his career. Charles was like the DeSean Jackson of RBs this year: all or nothing. In my most generic PPR league he had 7 single digit games compared to just 3 for Martin. Yes, Charles had some awesome weeks where he single-handedly won games for his owners, but he also had far more weeks where he would've killed your squad. I'm the type of owner who values solid, reliable scorers over feast-or-famine big play artists. I would much rather have a guy like Michael Crabtree than Torrey Smith. Likewise, I would rather have Doug Martin than Jamaal Charles. I'll be perfectly content to hear how wrong I am about this for the next several years as long as Martin continues to churn out superior FF seasons.
We've got a couple of different threads going on here. You said that Martin is more consistent than Charles, but that's a meaningless distinction- consistency is highly inconsistent from year to year, and correlates to nothing except for points scored. You said that Martin outscored Charles this year, which is absolutely true, but 100% irrelevant when discussing talent (unless you also want to argue that Andre Roberts is more talented than Larry Fitzgerald). Martin played for an explosive offense. Charles played for the most anemic offense in the league, a year after blowing out his knee. You mention that larger backs dominate the carry charts, but we've discussed this a half dozen times already- there are far more large backs in the league than small backs, so they'll dominate EVERY LIST. And it doesn't matter anyway, since Charles was up on that carry leaders list, too- averaging an even 20 touches a game for a team that had no idea what it felt like to play with a lead. You want to talk about how Martin's more valuable in dynasty leagues, and I'll agree. You want to talk about how Martin will score more fantasy points over the next three seasons, and I'm all ears. You want to talk about how Martin is more talented than Charles, though, and that's when I'm going to go all Kanye West on you. Yo EBF, imma let you finish. Doug Martin is a great back, but Jamaal Charles is one of the best backs of all time.

there are far more large backs in the league than small backs
Right, and that's not by coincidence. There is an archetypal body type for playing the RB position. The farther you get from that ideal, the more exaggerated your other abilities must be to compensate. Reggie Bush, CJ Spiller, and Chris Johnson are some of the best athletes playing RB in the NFL. They have to be, because it's the only way that they could thrive without the 220 pound frame. It's like an NBA center who's shorter than 6'10". He has to be great in some other way in order to compensate for his simple physical deficiencies. And that brings me back to my point about talent. The jaw dropping speed of a guy like Spiller or Bush distracts you from the fact that he is lacking in other departments. A 220 pound back needs a lot less quickness and speed to be an effective NFL player than a 195 pound back. Does this mean that he is less talented, or just that his talents reside in different characteristics? I'd say it's the latter. To be clear, I'm not arguing that Cedric Benson is as talented as Jamaal Charles. I'm just saying that his talents are more subtle. Blinding speed and quickness are a lot more impressive to watch on the TV screen than a plodding Shonn Greene, so it's easy to understand why a lot of observers associate "talent" with things like speed and quickness. I'd argue that the equation is a bit more complicated. To go back to the Doug Martin comparison, it's pretty clear that he isn't as quick or fast as someone like CJ Spiller. On the other hand, he also weighs almost 30 pounds more despite being 1.4 inches shorter. He doesn't need to be as quick or fast because he is a hell of a lot bigger and stronger. When you watch him run, you might not notice those things as much as you notice the amazing cuts or speed of a smaller back. Hence my original point that people tend to associate "talent" with flashy physical qualities when it's not really that simple.
You want to talk about how Martin is more talented than Charles, though, and that's when I'm going to go all Kanye West on you. Yo EBF, imma let you finish. Doug Martin is a great back, but Jamaal Charles is one of the best backs of all time.
Charles isn't even a top 2 back in his own draft, much less of all time. He's not fit to carry Adrian Peterson's pads. The YPC is impressive, but as much as I like efficiency stats they aren't the be-all end-all of determining who is the greatest player. Charles has never been asked tote the ball as much as a guy like Adrian Peterson or LaDainian Tomlinson. If he were, his efficiency stats would drop. Efficiency stats are often a really good way to identify up and coming players, but it's also important to recognize that there's a difference between thriving on a modest amount of touches and thriving on a massive amount of touches. It's the same reason why I'm quick to point out that RGIII and Russell Wilson's efficiency stats aren't directly parallel to Andrew Luck's. Luck is chucking the ball something like 38% more. The usage is so warped that it's almost like comparing the ERA or WHIP of a closer to that of a starter. Completely different roles.If you follow baseball, you know how ridiculous it would be to assume that every reliever with a low ERA would be contending for the Cy Young if he were thrust him into the starting rotation. What we're talking about is something similar, albeit not nearly as extreme.

Perhaps I am seeing this through rose colored glasses because I am a big Spiller fan, but I have a hard time not putting Spiller in the former group instead of the latter. For instance, I don't see all that much distinction between McCoy and Spiller. Both are electric talents, with Spiller much more capable of the home run play and McCoy a little bit better of a touchdown threat...albeit his system is now due for a massive overhaul and whether he remains the goal line back of choice with Brown as a backup is an absolute question mark.
McCoy is an entire year younger and that comes into play. McCoy will be 25 going into next season, Spiller will be 26. 25.5 was my 2012 baseline age for RBs(top 25 options dynasty options). I don't blame those who don't value a 1 year age difference that much, but I personally do. Aside from that, I would likely have them in the same tier.
The difference in age is made up by the difference in mileage imo (or at least mostly so). Sans concussion, McCoy would still be a spot or two ahead of Spiller on my board. However, he suffered a concussion that kept him out 4 games (i.e., worse than most). Scary stuff in today's NFL. While he may be fine and no worse off than another player not having suffered that concussion, I don't know that to be true. Another concussion early in the season and images of Jahvid Best start to creep into the mind. Much of this is likely mere paranoia, but when we're dealing with a player so valuable, I'd rather park that value in a more stable investment like CJ Spiller.Edit to add: Not meaning to make a huge deal out of the concussion. It really only bumps McCoy from just ahead of Spiller to just behind Spiller (i.e., gives me just enough pause to bump McCoy down a few spots but not enough to put him behind other elite RBs such as Charles/Foster).

Don't want to get dragged too far into the Charles v Martin thing because I think both of them are great fantasy backs, but IMO the main reason Martin might be a fantasy better back is the goal line touches. Bigger backs get more of them. Smaller backs typically need to catch a lot of passes to offset that. And Charles hasn't been used much in the passing game.

Odds are that's about to change though. Reid's primary back has averaged 4.8 catches per game over the last eight years. That translates to 76 catches in a full season.

With any sort of improvement at QB, a 16 game line of 225-1225-5/75-630-2 is pretty reasonable. ~19ppg, top 3-5 territory.

The difference in age is made up by the difference in mileage imo (or at least mostly so). Sans concussion, McCoy would still be a spot or two ahead of Spiller on my board. However, he suffered a concussion that kept him out 4 games (i.e., worse than most). Scary stuff in today's NFL. While he may be fine and no worse off than another player not having suffered that concussion, I don't know that to be true. Another concussion early in the season and images of Jahvid Best start to creep into the mind. Much of this is likely mere paranoia, but when we're dealing with a player so valuable, I'd rather park that value in a more stable investment like CJ Spiller.

Edit to add: Not meaning to make a huge deal out of the concussion. It really only bumps McCoy from just ahead of Spiller to just behind Spiller (i.e., gives me just enough pause to bump McCoy down a few spots but not enough to put him behind other elite RBs such as Charles/Foster).
Looking just at age / mileage, I'll take the RB who is 11 months older but has half the carries - all else being equal, and here it pretty much is.

Sans concussion, McCoy would still be a spot or two ahead of Spiller on my board. However, he suffered a concussion that kept him out 4 games (i.e., worse than most). Scary stuff in today's NFL. While he may be fine and no worse off than another player not having suffered that concussion, I don't know that to be true. Another concussion early in the season and images of Jahvid Best start to creep into the mind. Much of this is likely mere paranoia, but when we're dealing with a player so valuable, I'd rather park that value in a more stable investment like CJ Spiller.
There are concussions and there are concussions.I think Best is a poor analogy to use in evaluating players with concussions. As I pointed out in threads when he entered the league, Best had about the worst looking concussion injury I have ever seen. He was diving over the pile at the goal line, was hit midair, twisting him sideways - in the process he lost his helmet and landed with all his body weight on his head, knocking him unconscious. The fact that he did not sustain a more serious injury and was able to play again was a miracle.

I know the medical data is mixed on this, but there is a school of thought that those who have severe concussions (like Best) are more likely to have them in the future. McCoy was pretty badly dinged but it didn't seem to be close to what Best experienced (or to use another example Austin Collie, who lay unconscious and unmoving on the field for several minutes after his concussion).

Coming off his injury, and with the reemergence of Moreno, what is the dynasty value of McGahee? Next year, I think this backfield could be difficult to figure out.

Coming off his injury, and with the reemergence of Moreno, what is the dynasty value of McGahee? Next year, I think this backfield could be difficult to figure out.
It will be difficult to figure out - both Moreno and McGahee are hold and wait's, Hillman remains likely just a stash. I wouldn't be looking to buy any of them anytime soon - maybe Hillman this summer, if I have any of them (I have Moreno in one) I'm holding and seeing what happens. ROI is minimal trying to move either of the vets.

'Bronx Bomber said:
Here's my early 2013 Rankings with Tiers. Would love to hear what you all think:2013 RankingsQB ...
As a Cutler owner in 2 dynasty leagues (as a backup only, thank god), I couldn't help but notice he doesn't even appear in your Top 32 QBs.Error or on purpose?I'd think he'd be somewhere in the low QB2, #20-25 range.Not earth shattering but wondering if you really thought there are 32 FF QBs better than him at this point.

'Bronx Bomber said:
Here's my early 2013 Rankings with Tiers. Would love to hear what you all think:2013 RankingsQB ...
As a Cutler owner in 2 dynasty leagues (as a backup only, thank god), I couldn't help but notice he doesn't even appear in your Top 32 QBs.Error or on purpose?I'd think he'd be somewhere in the low QB2, #20-25 range.Not earth shattering but wondering if you really thought there are 32 FF QBs better than him at this point.
Error

'EBF said:
'SSOG said:
there are far more large backs in the league than small backs
Right, and that's not by coincidence. There is an archetypal body type for playing the RB position. The farther you get from that ideal, the more exaggerated your other abilities must be to compensate. Reggie Bush, CJ Spiller, and Chris Johnson are some of the best athletes playing RB in the NFL. They have to be, because it's the only way that they could thrive without the 220 pound frame. It's like an NBA center who's shorter than 6'10". He has to be great in some other way in order to compensate for his simple physical deficiencies. And that brings me back to my point about talent. The jaw dropping speed of a guy like Spiller or Bush distracts you from the fact that he is lacking in other departments. A 220 pound back needs a lot less quickness and speed to be an effective NFL player than a 195 pound back. Does this mean that he is less talented, or just that his talents reside in different characteristics? I'd say it's the latter. To be clear, I'm not arguing that Cedric Benson is as talented as Jamaal Charles. I'm just saying that his talents are more subtle. Blinding speed and quickness are a lot more impressive to watch on the TV screen than a plodding Shonn Greene, so it's easy to understand why a lot of observers associate "talent" with things like speed and quickness. I'd argue that the equation is a bit more complicated. To go back to the Doug Martin comparison, it's pretty clear that he isn't as quick or fast as someone like CJ Spiller. On the other hand, he also weighs almost 30 pounds more despite being 1.4 inches shorter. He doesn't need to be as quick or fast because he is a hell of a lot bigger and stronger. When you watch him run, you might not notice those things as much as you notice the amazing cuts or speed of a smaller back. Hence my original point that people tend to associate "talent" with flashy physical qualities when it's not really that simple.
I'm really getting tired of having the same argument for you. Yes, the lack of small backs in the league indicates that it's difficult for small backs to make it into the league. No, it does not mean ANYTHING AT ALL about backs once they've already made it in the league. If you want to claim that small backs are less likely to receive a big workload than large backs ONCE THEY'RE ALREADY IN THE LEAGUE, you need to show that the proportion of small backs receiving a high workload is smaller than we'd expect given draft position and the proportion of all backs in the league who qualify as small. This is something you've never made any attempt to do. Small backs have a hard time making it into the league, but once they're there, there's nothing stopping them from getting a big workload. The most recent example of this concept came this very season, as you repeatedly talked about how Charles wasn't going to get a big workload while Charles was busy getting a big workload. The speed of Charles or Spiller don't distract me from anything. I'm not a speed fanboy. Again, Tatum Bell, Felix Jones, Leon Washington... I've been around a long time. I've got a track record. That track record pretty clearly demonstrates that speed backs aren't really my cup of tea. If anything, my bias is towards the chain-movers. The fact that I like Charles and Spiller so much is in spite of their style, not because of it. Again, I've been a Frank Gore defender. I've been a Ray Rice defender. I like your "freaky good vs. sneaky good" analogy. Please don't paint me with an overly broad brush. Saying I like Charles more than Martin because he's flashier would be like accusing me of liking Barry Sanders more than Curtis Martin because he's flashier. No, I like Charles and Spiller because they're beasts capable of breaking a defense's back and dominating games, and they're extremely consistent in that domination. Game after game, year after year, both Charles and Spiller have consistently abused defenses and made them look silly.
You want to talk about how Martin is more talented than Charles, though, and that's when I'm going to go all Kanye West on you. Yo EBF, imma let you finish. Doug Martin is a great back, but Jamaal Charles is one of the best backs of all time.
Charles isn't even a top 2 back in his own draft, much less of all time. He's not fit to carry Adrian Peterson's pads. The YPC is impressive, but as much as I like efficiency stats they aren't the be-all end-all of determining who is the greatest player. Charles has never been asked tote the ball as much as a guy like Adrian Peterson or LaDainian Tomlinson. If he were, his efficiency stats would drop. Efficiency stats are often a really good way to identify up and coming players, but it's also important to recognize that there's a difference between thriving on a modest amount of touches and thriving on a massive amount of touches. It's the same reason why I'm quick to point out that RGIII and Russell Wilson's efficiency stats aren't directly parallel to Andrew Luck's. Luck is chucking the ball something like 38% more. The usage is so warped that it's almost like comparing the ERA or WHIP of a closer to that of a starter. Completely different roles.If you follow baseball, you know how ridiculous it would be to assume that every reliever with a low ERA would be contending for the Cy Young if he were thrust him into the starting rotation. What we're talking about is something similar, albeit not nearly as extreme.
Adrian Peterson is a better back than Charles, sure. I'm not calling Charles the greatest RB to ever lace up cleats, but he's among the top 20 to ever play his position (and yes, with Johnson's precipitous decline, Charles is the best back from his class). His ypc might drop with more carries, but it could drop by a half yard and he's still Jim Brown. It could drop by a full yard and he's still Jones-Drew. Charles is not Jerious Norwood getting 6 ypc on 5 carries a game. He's had a pair of 1500 yard seasons rushing the football.

'Bronx Bomber said:
Error
I guess you're going to make me ask the next logical question...?(since you are the guy who was nice enough to share his rankings :) )

This is something you've never made any attempt to do. Small backs have a hard time making it into the league, but once they're there, there's nothing stopping them from getting a big workload. The most recent example of this concept came this very season, as you repeatedly talked about how Charles wasn't going to get a big workload while Charles was busy getting a big workload.
Part of the problem is that you're using the frame of a single season whereas I'm talking about entire careers. If a fragile beanpole like McFadden can survive 220+ carries in a season, then almost anyone can do it. The trick is doing it year in and year out. Part of the reason why guys like Edge, LT, Peterson, Gore, Portis, and Jackson have been dynasty gold is because they can answer the bell. Every. Single. Season. Chris Johnson is really the only RB of his stature in history to consistently accumulate the kind of workload routinely logged by 215-220 pound backs, and he's still not close to guys like Jackson, Tomlinson, and Portis on the career carries leaderboard. I'm not going to say that an undersized back can't possibly crack that list, but until somebody actually does it, I don't have a great incentive to think that it's likely or even possible. You keep bringing up Charles as refutation. In reality, he just supports what I'm saying. Even the best of the current thin backs (Charles and Spiller) still lag well behind the current best of the ideal lot (Foster, Peterson, Martin) in terms of volume. And that's my argument in a nutshell. It's not that thin backs don't have value or that they can't be great FF options. It's simply that bigger backs of comparable talent are more valuable. And again, this year doesn't disprove that. Guys like Foster and Martin are comfortably out-touching and outscoring guys like Spiller and Charles.
Adrian Peterson is a better back than Charles, sure. I'm not calling Charles the greatest RB to ever lace up cleats, but he's among the top 20 to ever play his position (and yes, with Johnson's precipitous decline, Charles is the best back from his class). His ypc might drop with more carries, but it could drop by a half yard and he's still Jim Brown. It could drop by a full yard and he's still Jones-Drew. Charles is not Jerious Norwood getting 6 ypc on 5 carries a game. He's had a pair of 1500 yard seasons rushing the football.
Johnson at his peak was better than Charles is at his peak. Granted, it was a pretty brief peak, but overall his career has been much better if you value things like workload and total yards. And FWIW, Ray Rice is probably a better football player than either of them. That doesn't mean that you can't frame the stats to suggest otherwise. Again, it goes back to what I said about talent and how different people are impressed by different things. You can look at the stats and derive pretty much any conclusion depending on what you want to believe.

This is something you've never made any attempt to do. Small backs have a hard time making it into the league, but once they're there, there's nothing stopping them from getting a big workload. The most recent example of this concept came this very season, as you repeatedly talked about how Charles wasn't going to get a big workload while Charles was busy getting a big workload.
Part of the problem is that you're using the frame of a single season whereas I'm talking about entire careers. If a fragile beanpole like McFadden can survive 220+ carries in a season, then almost anyone can do it. The trick is doing it year in and year out. Part of the reason why guys like Edge, LT, Peterson, Gore, Portis, and Jackson have been dynasty gold is because they can answer the bell. Every. Single. Season. Chris Johnson is really the only RB of his stature in history to consistently accumulate the kind of workload routinely logged by 215-220 pound backs, and he's still not close to guys like Jackson, Tomlinson, and Portis on the career carries leaderboard. I'm not going to say that an undersized back can't possibly crack that list, but until somebody actually does it, I don't have a great incentive to think that it's likely or even possible. You keep bringing up Charles as refutation. In reality, he just supports what I'm saying. Even the best of the current thin backs (Charles and Spiller) still lag well behind the current best of the ideal lot (Foster, Peterson, Martin) in terms of volume. And that's my argument in a nutshell. It's not that thin backs don't have value or that they can't be great FF options. It's simply that bigger backs of comparable talent are more valuable. And again, this year doesn't disprove that. Guys like Foster and Martin are comfortably out-touching and outscoring guys like Spiller and Charles.
Sanders, Dorsett, Dunn, and Portis did pretty well on the career charts despite pretty slight builds. Maybe Foster getting more carries had something to do with playing for a 12-4 team instead of a 2-14 team. This argument bores me.
Johnson at his peak was better than Charles is at his peak. Granted, it was a pretty brief peak, but overall his career has been much better if you value things like workload and total yards. And FWIW, Ray Rice is probably a better football player than either of them. That doesn't mean that you can't frame the stats to suggest otherwise. Again, it goes back to what I said about talent and how different people are impressed by different things. You can look at the stats and derive pretty much any conclusion depending on what you want to believe.
Yeah, Johnson had the best peak, but if every RB were put into a pool by NFL GMs and drafted, you think Johnson would go before Charles today? You think Rice would?

'FUBAR said:
'Ernol said:
The difference in age is made up by the difference in mileage imo (or at least mostly so). Sans concussion, McCoy would still be a spot or two ahead of Spiller on my board. However, he suffered a concussion that kept him out 4 games (i.e., worse than most). Scary stuff in today's NFL. While he may be fine and no worse off than another player not having suffered that concussion, I don't know that to be true. Another concussion early in the season and images of Jahvid Best start to creep into the mind. Much of this is likely mere paranoia, but when we're dealing with a player so valuable, I'd rather park that value in a more stable investment like CJ Spiller.

Edit to add: Not meaning to make a huge deal out of the concussion. It really only bumps McCoy from just ahead of Spiller to just behind Spiller (i.e., gives me just enough pause to bump McCoy down a few spots but not enough to put him behind other elite RBs such as Charles/Foster).
Looking just at age / mileage, I'll take the RB who is 11 months older but has half the carries - all else being equal, and here it pretty much is.
Have to disagree. I have never seen anything that supports the mileage metaphor. We all know cars wear out with use; but the human body isn't like that. You could carry the ball 300 times and suffer no "wear." Or, you could carry it once, suffer an ACL tear, and experience lots of "wear." On the other hand, while a car can be a year older, and if it has less mileage, may be in better condition than a younger car with more miles, that is not true of humans. We age. And age does things to us no matter what. So, age definitely HAS been proven to have an effect on running backs. The better backs can age better and play longer than less elite backs, but age is a real factor. Mileage, IMO, is pretty much an imaginary condition that works for cars but makes little sense for the human body.

People want perfect formulas because it makes decision making easier. There aren't perfect formulas to determine things like wear and tear, all variable player to player. Trust your eyes and your head and you will make better decisions.

'FUBAR said:
'Ernol said:

Have to disagree. I have never seen anything that supports the mileage metaphor. We all know cars wear out with use; but the human body isn't like that. You could carry the ball 300 times and suffer no "wear." Or, you could carry it once, suffer an ACL tear, and experience lots of "wear." On the other hand, while a car can be a year older, and if it has less mileage, may be in better condition than a younger car with more miles, that is not true of humans. We age. And age does things to us no matter what. So, age definitely HAS been proven to have an effect on running backs. The better backs can age better and play longer than less elite backs, but age is a real factor. Mileage, IMO, is pretty much an imaginary condition that works for cars but makes little sense for the human body.
i dont agree with this. first, wear and injury are generally not considered to be the same thing when we talk about it. now look at portis. he was an elite back. he had a ridiculously high amount of carries in a short amount of time and his body eventually gave up. he is only 31 and has been out of football for a while now. fjax on the other hand, didn't play much during his first few years and is still going strong at the age of 31.

i dont think turner would be in the league right now if he didn't ride the bench during the first 4 years

ronnie brown is still productive at 31. i think that is because of all the games he missed via injury throughout his career.

mcgehee had 378 carries in a 3 year stretch and at 31, he still looked good.

ricky williams was out for 2 years and had a 1k season at 32

if you ask me, thats pretty good evidence that wear is a big factor

both wear and age are factors. i don't understand why some say one has no relevance.

i personally think wear is a larger factor than age.

ill take spiller over mccoy age wise easily

I'd take Spiller over McCoy because he's a better back.

I forget if it was Chase or Drinen who looked at this, but the best (though still low confidence) result they came up with is that 800 carries was worth about one year of age in terms of what drives the end of a career.

'Bronx Bomber said:
Error
I guess you're going to make me ask the next logical question...?(since you are the guy who was nice enough to share his rankings :) )
Sorry, crazy busy at work yesterday, that was literally all I was able to get out. Id put Cutler right behind Schaub and bump Freeman down one. The defense is set and Jeffrey basically redshirted so that should let them focus on the o-line to help him out. He's still a good QBBC guy IMO.

Reggie Wayne will be 35, his second year of the 3yr deal jumps from $1 million base to $5 million. Any chance Indy lets him go or forces him to restructure? I realize that in dynasty we look long term but I like to throw in some "one year" production guys to help get over the top. Thoughts?

I like Reggie Wayne for one more year to be honest. I don't think the Colts offense has enough veterans and I'd be surprised to see him go after such a strong season. I would expect his production to trail off though as it did at the end of the year. Reggie/TY Hilton is a nice little handcuff scenario right now to be in.

The upcoming season will be pretty interesting regarding Charles, Rice, and McCoy.Rice and McCoy have been great, and both are very good players, but they've both also benefited hugely from playing their entire careers in two of the most fantasy-RB-friendly offensive systems in modern NFL history (Reid / Cameron).Charles has had to deal with RBBC, changing and / or bad offensive coaching, and a bad team, and has finished RB12, RB4, and RB8 his last three healthy years. The fact that he just handled a top-7 NFL carry total coming back from a blown out knee probably indicates that his smaller workload was more system than player related. And now he gets his chance in the RB-friendly system.IMO it's pretty likely that Charles is now the guy in the mix for top fantasy RB while Rice and McCoy are in the RB8 - RB12 range, depending on how things sort out in Philly and Baltimore obviously.

Eric Dickerson, Marcus Allen and OJ Simpson are three of the top 18 rushers of all time (7,12,18).

Given the relative rarity of tall, thin RBs isn't it actually the case that RBs with McFadden's build are dramatically overrepresented on the career rushing leader's roll?

Rice carried the ball 16 times per game, good for =19th in the league.

Methinks the next offensive coordinator won't attempt to put the ball into Flacc's hands nearly as often. Cameron was a poor playcaller who didn't take advantage of the clear assets Rice offered over Flacco.

I'm not calling Charles the greatest RB to ever lace up cleats, but he's among the top 20 to ever play his position (and yes, with Johnson's precipitous decline, Charles is the best back from his class). His ypc might drop with more carries, but it could drop by a half yard and he's still Jim Brown.
OK, you've officially crossed the line here into absurdity.ETA: Since you have labeled Charles one of the top 20 RBs of all time, I'd be very interested to see your top 20 list.

I'm not calling Charles the greatest RB to ever lace up cleats, but he's among the top 20 to ever play his position (and yes, with Johnson's precipitous decline, Charles is the best back from his class). His ypc might drop with more carries, but it could drop by a half yard and he's still Jim Brown.
OK, you've officially crossed the line here into absurdity.ETA: Since you have labeled Charles one of the top 20 RBs of all time, I'd be very interested to see your top 20 list.
Assuming that the absurdity remark is from the "still Jim Brown" remark, I believe SSOG is talking about career YPC. Brown's YPC is 5.2. Charles' career YPC to this point is 5.8. So Charles could drop down a half yard and still be above Brown when looking at YPC.

Assuming that the absurdity remark is from the "still Jim Brown" remark, I believe SSOG is talking about career YPC. Brown's YPC is 5.2. Charles' career YPC to this point is 5.8. So Charles could drop down a half yard and still be above Brown when looking at YPC.
No, I read SSOG's post as saying Charles is among the top 20 greatest RBs to ever play the game. I find that notion to be absurd. That's why I asked for his top 20 list.The absurdity is merely compounded by suggesting that if his ypc dropped, "he's still Jim Brown." That part could just be phrasing, if he really meant "his ypc would still be as good as Jim Brown's."

Rice carried the ball 16 times per game, good for =19th in the league.Methinks the next offensive coordinator won't attempt to put the ball into Flacc's hands nearly as often. Cameron was a poor playcaller who didn't take advantage of the clear assets Rice offered over Flacco.
You think that Rice's limit in usage came from Cam and not the organization? All we heard all offseason was about how the organization wanted to give the ball to Flacco more. You think an OC who has historically used his RBs like crazy suddenly just decided not to do it this year?For fantasy running backs, Cam is just about the best thing that can happen to them. He's had a 2000 yard RB in 6 of his 10 seasons (7 if you consider that Ronnie Brown was well on his way when he got hurt in his only year with Cam) and a top 5 fantasy RB in every season but two. Every running back he's called plays for has almost instantly become a top 3 dynasty asset. His system completely revolves around the running back. One year away from that with pressure from up above and suddenly everyone forgets that.

Rice carried the ball 16 times per game, good for =19th in the league.Methinks the next offensive coordinator won't attempt to put the ball into Flacc's hands nearly as often. Cameron was a poor playcaller who didn't take advantage of the clear assets Rice offered over Flacco.
You think that Rice's limit in usage came from Cam and not the organization? All we heard all offseason was about how the organization wanted to give the ball to Flacco more. You think an OC who has historically used his RBs like crazy suddenly just decided not to do it this year?For fantasy running backs, Cam is just about the best thing that can happen to them. He's had a 2000 yard RB in 6 of his 10 seasons (7 if you consider that Ronnie Brown was well on his way when he got hurt in his only year with Cam) and a top 5 fantasy RB in every season but two. Every running back he's called plays for has almost instantly become a top 3 dynasty asset. His system completely revolves around the running back. One year away from that with pressure from up above and suddenly everyone forgets that.
Nothing else needs to be said here. Cam is great for utilizing a RB in an offense period.

No, I read SSOG's post as saying Charles is among the top 20 greatest RBs to ever play the game. I find that notion to be absurd. That's why I asked for his top 20 list.The absurdity is merely compounded by suggesting that if his ypc dropped, "he's still Jim Brown." That part could just be phrasing, if he really meant "his ypc would still be as good as Jim Brown's."
I was talking about ypc- Jamaal Charles's ypc could drop a half a yard and it's still essentially Jim Brown's ypc. I thought the first half of the sentence provided the context necessary to make that clear, so I'm sorry for the confusion. EBF was talking about his efficiency could fall with usage, so I was illustrating just how elite his efficiency metrics really were and how much room they had to fall while remaining elite. As for my top 20 RBs... the easiest way to go would be to just start with the list Chase produced over at the pfr blog. Here are his top 30 most dominant RBs, as of 2009:

Brown, Smith, Sanders, Payton, Faulk, Tomlinson, Dickerson, Davis, Simpson, Thomas, Holmes, Taylor, Campbell, Martin, Van Buren, James, Alexander, Barber, Allen, Kelly, Harris, Riggins, Lydell Mitchell, Chuck Foreman, Ottis Anderson, Westbrook, Portis, Dorsett, Bettis, Ahman Greeen.

Now, this metric is who had the most dominant careers, not who was the best RB. As a result, it misses Bo, Sayers, Marion Motley, and Peterson (whose career was still in its infancy). Add those four guys in and we've got 34 names as a starting point. How many of those 34 RBs is Jamaal Charles better than? I'd submit the following: Curtis Martin (unbelievable longevity, amazing career, but if I were picking an RB for a single season, I'd take an in-his-prime Charles over Martin). Shaun Alexander, Harris, Riggins, Mitchell, Foreman, Anderson, Westbrook, Portis, Dorsett, Bettis, and Green.

I can't really speak intelligently to compare Charles to Van Buren or Leroy Kelly. If we assume both are better than Charles, that leaves him at 22nd. If we assume Charles is better than both, that leaves him at 20th.

Look, Charles is nowhere near the class of the top 10-15 guys, but there's a steep drop off after that, and I think Charles absolutely deserves consideration there. When you're comparing Charles to guys like Bettis, Westbrook, Portis, and Ahman Green, I think Charles does very well. Maybe I would have been better saying "top 25" instead of "top 20". You're free to disagree, and I'd love to hear your thoughts to the contrary, but looking at the names, which of the guys I listed would you take over him? Looking at Chase's list, where would you put him? Are we really quibbling over 10 spots, and if so, is it really that absurd?

People want perfect formulas because it makes decision making easier. There aren't perfect formulas to determine things like wear and tear, all variable player to player. Trust your eyes and your head and you will make better decisions.
Sometimes we'd all be a lot better off if we listened to our eyes/heads/guts a little less and the formulas a little more.

Also, just wanted to note, havent posted much lately but I've been lurking, and I love some of the discussion going on.

1. Totally on SSOG's side with the small/big thing. I think it's a factor in getting to the NFL, but once you're in, I think it's been accounted for. If 2/10 backs are small, and 2/10 of the top carry guys are small, doesn't that make sense??????????

2. Someone said they're one of/the biggest pro-Morris guy a page or two earlier (don't remember who, gut says SSOG). I disagree - the biggest Pro-Morris guys, in order, are Concept Coop and myself. I've been all over the guy all year - every single time someone gives any sort of credit at all to Shanahanigans, my opinion of them drops. There simply is no such thing. Zero evidence. All of Shanahan's career points to using a single RB, almost all the touches, constantly. He has only ever had a different guy when injuries strike. And even the year he used like 7 RBs...I was picking those guys up every week and riding them with good numbers until each got hurt. To speak of anything else comes off as blatantly ignorant.

3. I've got TY Hilton on my list as "intriguing at the right price". Havent decided what that price is yet.

4. I'm thinking top 5 RBs, in some order, are Charles, Spiller, Morris, Rice, Richardson, and Martin. I know that's six, but I can't put one of those guys behind the other. And that's from a startup perspective. If I'm a contender and I can get Peterson, he's way up there for me. I think we may be seeing him for a long time yet...but I'm very risk averse.

I was talking about ypc- Jamaal Charles's ypc could drop a half a yard and it's still essentially Jim Brown's ypc. I thought the first half of the sentence provided the context necessary to make that clear, so I'm sorry for the confusion. EBF was talking about his efficiency could fall with usage, so I was illustrating just how elite his efficiency metrics really were and how much room they had to fall while remaining elite. As for my top 20 RBs... the easiest way to go would be to just start with the list Chase produced over at the pfr blog. Here are his top 30 most dominant RBs, as of 2009:

Brown, Smith, Sanders, Payton, Faulk, Tomlinson, Dickerson, Davis, Simpson, Thomas, Holmes, Taylor, Campbell, Martin, Van Buren, James, Alexander, Barber, Allen, Kelly, Harris, Riggins, Lydell Mitchell, Chuck Foreman, Ottis Anderson, Westbrook, Portis, Dorsett, Bettis, Ahman Greeen.

Now, this metric is who had the most dominant careers, not who was the best RB. As a result, it misses Bo, Sayers, Marion Motley, and Peterson (whose career was still in its infancy). Add those four guys in and we've got 34 names as a starting point. How many of those 34 RBs is Jamaal Charles better than? I'd submit the following: Curtis Martin (unbelievable longevity, amazing career, but if I were picking an RB for a single season, I'd take an in-his-prime Charles over Martin). Shaun Alexander, Harris, Riggins, Mitchell, Foreman, Anderson, Westbrook, Portis, Dorsett, Bettis, and Green.

I can't really speak intelligently to compare Charles to Van Buren or Leroy Kelly. If we assume both are better than Charles, that leaves him at 22nd. If we assume Charles is better than both, that leaves him at 20th.

Look, Charles is nowhere near the class of the top 10-15 guys, but there's a steep drop off after that, and I think Charles absolutely deserves consideration there. When you're comparing Charles to guys like Bettis, Westbrook, Portis, and Ahman Green, I think Charles does very well. Maybe I would have been better saying "top 25" instead of "top 20". You're free to disagree, and I'd love to hear your thoughts to the contrary, but looking at the names, which of the guys I listed would you take over him? Looking at Chase's list, where would you put him? Are we really quibbling over 10 spots, and if so, is it really that absurd?
I think it's absurd to try to identify who the "best" RB was when comparing across eras and trying to judge talent rather than career. Comparing careers can be done with some effectiveness because one can compare players against their own peer groups and attempt to make accommodations in a comparison for differences in eras. Trying to gauge talent without making any such adjustments is comparing apples and oranges. "Talent" is partly God-given talent but partly due to the practices of the day with regard to physical training and medical treatments. And how talent is demonstrated is subject to the nature of offensive usage and rules of an era.You admitted you can't effectively judge Charles vs. Van Buren or Kelly, but I suspect there are others. For example, what about Joe Perry?

IMO you are also comparing different kinds of talents. You say Charles is more talented than Bettis, yet Bettis was talented enough to win 2 1st team All Pro awards. Certainly his ypc was not close to Charles, but he was a different kind of RB with a different kind of talent and different type of usage.

And I suspect your method has led you to overlook some players. Is Charles definitely better than Billy Sims was, for example? How about Fred Taylor?

Sometimes we'd all be a lot better off if we listened to our eyes/heads/guts a little less and the formulas a little more.
:goodposting:

What did the formula say about tony gonzalez four years ago?

I think it's absurd to try to identify who the "best" RB was when comparing across eras and trying to judge talent rather than career. Comparing careers can be done with some effectiveness because one can compare players against their own peer groups and attempt to make accommodations in a comparison for differences in eras. Trying to gauge talent without making any such adjustments is comparing apples and oranges. "Talent" is partly God-given talent but partly due to the practices of the day with regard to physical training and medical treatments. And how talent is demonstrated is subject to the nature of offensive usage and rules of an era.You admitted you can't effectively judge Charles vs. Van Buren or Kelly, but I suspect there are others. For example, what about Joe Perry?IMO you are also comparing different kinds of talents. You say Charles is more talented than Bettis, yet Bettis was talented enough to win 2 1st team All Pro awards. Certainly his ypc was not close to Charles, but he was a different kind of RB with a different kind of talent and different type of usage.And I suspect your method has led you to overlook some players. Is Charles definitely better than Billy Sims was, for example? How about Fred Taylor?
Of course it's all a subjective Just-For-Funsies exercise. Of course there'll never be a definitive answer. That's never stopped anyone from ranking the 10 best QBs of all time, or stopped any Bo fans from waxing poetic about where he would have gone down in history if he'd stayed healthy. As for Bettis... if he gets elected to the Hall, he'll be the most undeserving player in there. Watching him, I saw a player with a couple of great seasons, and then a huge stretch of replacement level play. He was basically Mike Tolbert for 75% of his career. I have no hesitation or compunction about calling Charles a better RB. And it's possible there are other RBs who my methodology missed (not Taylor- I'd take Jones-Drew over him, and Charles over Jones-Drew), but there are also other RBs I conceded who I'm really not that familiar with and I'm just giving them the nod based on reputation. Again, maybe "top 25" would have been a safer statement, but I'm happy with putting him in the 20-25 range.
What did the formula say about tony gonzalez four years ago?
Not a whole lot. The best comp for Gonzo was Sharpe, who retired while still at the top of his game to chase a tv deal. But you're right that formulas miss sometimes. The question isn't whether they're perfect (they're not), it's whether they're sometimes better than human intuition (they frequently are).

Users who are viewing this thread