Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title


Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Charlie Harper said:

Great card aside from the Beast vs Frances...but hey I won money.

It's funny, after the the Beast and Frances fight, I told my friends Brock would destroy either of those guys...so you know I was hyped when he walked out.

Really don't think DC has a chance against a juiced to the gills Brock Lesnar. Brock is twice the size of DC and can hold his own wrestling. Stipe did a pretty good job holding DC against the cage.....imagine what Brock could do.

Brock can't take a punch.  Give me DC in that fight all day long.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, modogg said:

what the hell, Stipe didn't even hold his hands up. You would think he wouldn't be taking a guy lightly, but looked that way.

And man that belly, DC might be larger then Roy Nelson with that thing. 

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. 

DC was setting up Stipe to throw that short right hook all fight. He kept letting him dig underhooks and DC would tie him up with overhooks. I think Stipe thought they would tie up there and DC landed it on the button.

I am not a DC fan, but you have to respect him and he deserves it all.

Mike Perry and Paulo Costo are just the best though. Pure violence with no idea on defense.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I was wrong about DC. The dude brought it and looked good. I’m shocked, but good for him. At least he holds a legit title now, and he did it in awesome fashion.

Overall, a good night of fights - minus the rerun of Wonderboy/Woodley...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like I worried about, cerebral Cormier came though.  Agree with GOB above.  No idea why Stipe wanted to clinch so much, he played right into what DC wanted.  Great plan as I expected.

DC also knows exactly what he's going with his fingers and that it's illegal (and dirty) and he'll do it long enough until the other fighter can't see or he gets a final warning.  The ref said he warned him 3 times even before the poke...so I think he should have taken a point there.  Probably doesn't change the outcome, but you just can't allow that as a referee.  Whoever the ref was Friday night did a great job at controlling the fighter who was doing the same thing as DC and prevented a poke in doing so.

It was a historic run for Stipe!  Too bad he won't get his well deserved rematch because (from whispers around town) he doesn't get along that great with the bossman.  Dana will go for the money fight as usual instead of doing the right thing.  Stipe should sit back, enjoy his family (I think his wife is about to have a little girl) and see what happens with Dana's #### show.

And Ngannou/Lewis was the worst thing I think I've ever witnessed.  Two violent guys that don't want to get violent.  Happens sometimes, but not to that extreme.  Embarrassing.  They should both move down in the standings near #10.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kutta said:

Well I was wrong about DC. The dude brought it and looked good. I’m shocked, but good for him. At least he holds a legit title now, and he did it in awesome fashion.

Overall, a good night of fights - minus the rerun of Wonderboy/Woodley...

he looked good fighting, not his physique. Jon Jones would light him like a firework if he can just get back in the octagon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GOB said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. 

DC was setting up Stipe to throw that short right hook all fight. He kept letting him dig underhooks and DC would tie him up with overhooks. I think Stipe thought they would tie up there and DC landed it on the button.

I am not a DC fan, but you have to respect him and he deserves it all.

Mike Perry and Paulo Costo are just the best though. Pure violence with no idea on defense.

 

yeah i only saw the highlights. DC is talented, but i am not sure he goes through the HWY division like Stipe did. He is done in less then a year, so i am guessing Brock and maybe Jon Jones before he retires

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, modogg said:

yeah i only saw the highlights. DC is talented, but i am not sure he goes through the HWY division like Stipe did. He is done in less then a year, so i am guessing Brock and maybe Jon Jones before he retires

Correct.

Look Stipe was piecing him up with combos from distance. But I think somebody mentioned previously that DC's chin would hold up enough to get it into the clinch where he will win it. Let me see if I can find that post from that smart guy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2018 at 7:23 PM, GOB said:

I think it's crazy off. Major value on DC +200 or better. 

He is such a great wrestler. He may not be able to out strike Stipe, but I believe his chin will hold enough to get into the clinch.

Oh look I found it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, AhrnCityPahnder said:

Brock can't take a punch.  Give me DC in that fight all day long.

I re-watched the Carwin fight and the Cain fight and I change my mind....DC will own Brock. I forgot how terrible Brock looked once Carwin put some punches on him and Cain stuffed his takedowns pretty well. 

My fanboy memory just remembers Brock choking Carwin out and I blamed the diverticulitis for the Cain and Overeem losses.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Angry Beavers said:

Bummed Stipe lost, but have to give it up to DC.  I agree that Dana has wanted Stipe to lose for a while now so it will be a hot minute before Stipe gets another big fight. I am not sure what is next for him. Lewis maybe? 

Curtis Blaydes probably makes the most sense, winner gets a guaranteed title shot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AhrnCityPahnder said:

Curtis Blaydes probably makes the most sense, winner gets a guaranteed title shot.

i kind of hope not. Stipe will crush Blaydes, guy needs some more tune up fights. Alex Volkov is new to the UFC too but could be an option. Velasquez would be real good but i don't think he wants to fight anymore

and lol, UFC doesn't put a lot of effort into their website apparently. 1/3 of the guys listed aren't there anymore:  http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Weight_Class/Heavyweight

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, modogg said:

 Stipe will crush Blaydes, guy needs some more tune up fights. 

I agree that Stipe beats Blades, but Blades just smashed Overeem.  He doesn't need any more tune up fights.  He needs a top 5 guy.

Edited by AhrnCityPahnder
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, AhrnCityPahnder said:

I agree that Stipe beats Blades, but Blades just smashed Overeem.  He doesn't need any more tune up fights.  He needs a top 5 guy.

HWY division is real weird. looking at guys like 'Reem, Hunt, Lewis, JDS, etc. you really can't always predict what you can get. it is good they got some new blood in there, but Blaydes only has 10 professional fights. Fighting Stipe might be his best call because losing to him can be seen as a good learning experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ngannou's statement on the fight.  It really shows you the mental side of the sport

=============================

francisngannou: "I am not proud of my last performance. I have carried my fear from the last fight to this one. I completely understand the frustration & anger that it has caused to my fans, coaches, teammates, family and friends and I am truly sorry for that. I won't let everyone down again. All I can do now is prove myself and make you proud again."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

bummed for Felder. I think he would have won that fight if not for the injured right arm. he hardly used it the last 2 rounds and still grabbed one of the judges' cards.

the Lesnar stuff interests me 0%. I'm interested in real fighters fighting, not a WWE circus.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Maik Jeaunz said:

bummed for Felder. I think he would have won that fight if not for the injured right arm. he hardly used it the last 2 rounds and still grabbed one of the judges' cards.

the Lesnar stuff interests me 0%. I'm interested in real fighters fighting, not a WWE circus.

I don't get the Lesnar hate.

Dude has had several main event fights and none have been boring win or lose. He has a legit wrestling background and is a world class athlete. Fans discredit his HW reign, but people have been sucking off Stipe for defending 3 TIMES!!! People hate the "WWE" aspect, but the same people suck McGregor's nuts.

If you hate him for steroids I respect that, but hell the HW division is so ### I don't really care. Brock comes in for a fight every couple of years, puts on a show, and everyone (even his opponents!!) gets paid. So hate on him taking steroids, but saying he isn't a real fighter is nuts.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2018 at 1:06 AM, Borden said:

I’m sad that Stipe lost but I’m pretty down on the whole UFC right now. The HW Champ is actually at LHW and now the next fight is going to be against an old steroid WWE clown. 

The LHW champ is a guy that only has the belt because the real champ can’t stay clean.

MW champ is only there because GSP poached the belt and now can’t fight. Whittaker is a solid fighter so this isn’t as bad as the others.

WW champ is legit but oh lord I don’t think I can handle Covington as the belt holder. 

LW we can’t get the fight we want between Tony and Khabib.

FW we got denied an awesome fight tonight.

BW Dillishaw is alright but BW, FW and LW are all only belt holders Money McGregor doesn’t care about anything but himself.

SW is just DJ dominating. Everyone loves DJ maybe a little better of stable of competition for him would be nice? I don’t know though. He’s real awesome.

Maybe I’m just bitter :shrug: :kicksrock:

some valid points above. The UFC has themselves in a quandry with DC now too, guy has said multiple occassions he wants to retire at 40, and he is 39 now (turns 40 next March). McGreggor made the whole 2 belts thing cool, but there isn't much for Cormier at LHW, outside of another Jones fight. I would like to see him vacate that belt and fight 3-4 times at HWY. Jones can fight him up there, and advantage should go to DC since he is more accustomed to fighting at that weight class. I don't know the terms of Brock's suspension, but it would seem to be almost up since the UFC paraded him out there. I could see him fight Brock, some valid contender in between, and end with Jones. Doesn't have to finish at 40 on the dot, if he loses Jones he can take another one to go out on a win.

That would seem to give us a good idea what his legacy will be. Kind of shame he went to LHW because of Cain, he would have probably cemented more credible wins instead of fighting guys like Cummins, and SIlva on a few weeks notice. I think if he goes the above route, that fight for Jones will be the key for him. He will cement himself at the top (maybe top 3-4 HWY of all time if he can sneak in multiple title defenses. But no way he can enter the GOAT discussion without another fight with Jon, and i think his chances at HWY are better then at LHW

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Charlie Harper said:

I don't get the Lesnar hate.

Dude has had several main event fights and none have been boring win or lose. He has a legit wrestling background and is a world class athlete. Fans discredit his HW reign, but people have been sucking off Stipe for defending 3 TIMES!!! People hate the "WWE" aspect, but the same people suck McGregor's nuts.

If you hate him for steroids I respect that, but hell the HW division is so ### I don't really care. Brock comes in for a fight every couple of years, puts on a show, and everyone (even his opponents!!) gets paid. So hate on him taking steroids, but saying he isn't a real fighter is nuts.

Seeing that no other HW fighter EVER has defended the title three straight times, Stipe deserves a ton of credit.

And I hate the WWE aspect of things, and I also can't stand McGregor. So I guess I'm off the hook.

I think he cheapens the UFC. Sure, he can wrestle. But the fake promoting he does (and Connor does), to me, just makes the UFC look like they are chasing the $ instead of chasing the best fights and fighters. 

Note - I agree Connor is actually a good fighter, so it's different for him. But I still can't stand the fake BS stuff he brings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoyed the card, except for the fightless fight :lol:

As for the WWE aspect, it's not like that is a new thing. Ken Shamrock. Tito. There's always been a "character" somewhere in the rankings, and because they get reactions (be them good or bad), that's who gets the promo juice.  I, for one, look forward to the DC-Brock fight. And I bet any of the younger fighters would kill to be on that fight card. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

Anyone seeing this Dana / Schaub drama.  Brendan's latest Eskimo bro comment would lead one to believe the same girl is Rhonda... :popcorn:

 

that was quite eye openeing :)

I only saw Brendon's response.  Do you have a link (or can describe) what precipitated this response?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Schaub was vocal about having issues with the Reebok(?) fight gear deal. This one seems like almost all on Dana though.

White needs to stop with this kind of stuff. I can’t imagine and other of the major sports commissioners engaging like this. I like that White seems to speak openly but with the state of the UFC and how close it’s starting to get to the WWE, he needs to tone it down. Or least be smarter with picking when to get into social media disputes.

Edit: I feel bad that I gave this story a click. I’d really like the UFC to get back to the fights and not “promotion”.

Edited by Borden
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Borden said:

Schaub was vocal about having issues with the Reebok(?) fight gear deal. This one seems like almost all on Dana though.

White needs to stop with this kind of stuff. I can’t imagine and other of the major sports commissioners engaging like this. I like that White seems to speak openly but with the state of the UFC and how close it’s starting to get to the WWE, he needs to tone it down. Or least be smarter with picking when to get into social media disputes.

Edit: I feel bad that I gave this story a click. I’d really like the UFC to get back to the fights and not “promotion”.

The CM Punk embarrassment definitely shows the UFC is fine with WWE type stuff.  Putting someone absolutely unqualified to be in a UFC ring was a joke.  CM Punk is not anywhere near an elite athlete, he coulda got seriously injured.  I just hope they don't keep going that route.

Brock is different as he actually is/or at least was an elite wrestler.  At the same time he doesn't deserve to fight for the UFC title at this point in his career.  It's a joke.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2018 at 4:45 PM, kutta said:

Seeing that no other HW fighter EVER has defended the title three straight times, Stipe deserves a ton of credit.

And I hate the WWE aspect of things, and I also can't stand McGregor. So I guess I'm off the hook.

I think he cheapens the UFC. Sure, he can wrestle. But the fake promoting he does (and Connor does), to me, just makes the UFC look like they are chasing the $ instead of chasing the best fights and fighters. 

Note - I agree Connor is actually a good fighter, so it's different for him. But I still can't stand the fake BS stuff he brings.

If a fighter has the personality and can be original in his promoting why not? Look at ALI ....yes he was a great fighter...but if he didnt talk the way he did ...if he didnt do the antics he did before and after his fights he would have been just another great fighter ...like Frazier  or Foreman...what sets Ali apart from the rest was his showmanship...it made him richer than most ...CM is the same way...he stands out from the crowd ...he makes an otherwise average fight seem like a great fight by how he acts before...the things he says and does...he gets peoples attention ...of course their are people who hate that stuff...but at the end of the day CM is going to do what he knows works so he can make the big bucks...CM is one of the wittiest fighters in a long time ...his one liners become t-shirts and memes...''who the f### is THAT guy'' will be repeated for years and years ...that wasnt planned ...he just said the exact right thing at the exact right time....thats not something just anyone can duplicate...then after all is said and done he trains like an animal and backs up his antics and predictions with action...so while others see BS ...i see brilliance on level with ALI

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, BustedKnuckles said:

If a fighter has the personality and can be original in his promoting why not? Look at ALI ....yes he was a great fighter...but if he didnt talk the way he did ...if he didnt do the antics he did before and after his fights he would have been just another great fighter ...like Frazier  or Foreman...what sets Ali apart from the rest was his showmanship...it made him richer than most ...CM is the same way...he stands out from the crowd ...he makes an otherwise average fight seem like a great fight by how he acts before...the things he says and does...he gets peoples attention ...of course their are people who hate that stuff...but at the end of the day CM is going to do what he knows works so he can make the big bucks...CM is one of the wittiest fighters in a long time ...his one liners become t-shirts and memes...''who the f### is THAT guy'' will be repeated for years and years ...that wasnt planned ...he just said the exact right thing at the exact right time....thats not something just anyone can duplicate...then after all is said and done he trains like an animal and backs up his antics and predictions with action...so while others see BS ...i see brilliance on level with ALI

what made Ali brilliant was that he talked AND backed it up.

Ali had 28 title defenses.

Which just happens to be exactly 27 more than Conor has attempted. 

 

Mentioning these two in the same breath just seem like a stretch to me.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

what made Ali brilliant was that he talked AND backed it up.

Ali had 28 title defenses.

Which just happens to be exactly 27 more than Conor has attempted. 

 

Mentioning these two in the same breath just seem like a stretch to me.

im not comparing records ...im talking promoting style ...they are 2 completely different fighters ...but they are similar in approach to promoting...as far as backing it up what does it matter if the fight is a title fight or not? a fight is a fight

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BustedKnuckles said:

If a fighter has the personality and can be original in his promoting why not? Look at ALI ....yes he was a great fighter...but if he didnt talk the way he did ...if he didnt do the antics he did before and after his fights he would have been just another great fighter ...like Frazier  or Foreman...what sets Ali apart from the rest was his showmanship...it made him richer than most ...CM is the same way...he stands out from the crowd ...he makes an otherwise average fight seem like a great fight by how he acts before...the things he says and does...he gets peoples attention ...of course their are people who hate that stuff...but at the end of the day CM is going to do what he knows works so he can make the big bucks...CM is one of the wittiest fighters in a long time ...his one liners become t-shirts and memes...''who the f### is THAT guy'' will be repeated for years and years ...that wasnt planned ...he just said the exact right thing at the exact right time....thats not something just anyone can duplicate...then after all is said and done he trains like an animal and backs up his antics and predictions with action...so while others see BS ...i see brilliance on level with ALI

I agree he’s a great promoter. I just don’t like it. I’ve always respected humble people who are great at what they do, and I’ve always disliked loudmouths. I just don’t like the guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kutta said:

I agree he’s a great promoter. I just don’t like it. I’ve always respected humble people who are great at what they do, and I’ve always disliked loudmouths. I just don’t like the guy.

have you ever watched anything other than videos of him doing what he does to sell fights? him talking quietly ...Conor the family man? Conor giving his opponents straight up respect after the fight (if given to him)....the conor who is gracious in defeat ...the movie NOTORIOUS is a great film to watch to get a real feel of who Conor is  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, BustedKnuckles said:

have you ever watched anything other than videos of him doing what he does to sell fights? him talking quietly ...Conor the family man? Conor giving his opponents straight up respect after the fight (if given to him)....the conor who is gracious in defeat ...the movie NOTORIOUS is a great film to watch to get a real feel of who Conor is  

That’s all fine and good. I just think you should show respect to your opponent all the time, not just when you feel like it. He’s either truly disrespectful before fights (and after a lot of times), or he’s just acting to sell fights. Either way, I just don’t like it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, kutta said:

That’s all fine and good. I just think you should show respect to your opponent all the time, not just when you feel like it. He’s either truly disrespectful before fights (and after a lot of times), or he’s just acting to sell fights. Either way, I just don’t like it. 

honestly im not a fan of disrespecting anyone ...but sports are as mental as they are physical...its literally part of the game ...not everyone can do it...those that are good at it will use it ...those whos personalities wont really allow it wont do it.....i can name so many fighters who use mental tactics to win fights ...i like a fighter who trains hard and entertains the fans....Roberto Duran was plain evil in the ring....before and after his fights he was hard pressed to give respect...but he is one of boxing favorite fighters because he fought like a demon and the crowd loved it....Hagler wouldnt shake an opponent's hand before a fight...ever...he disdained his opponents ...then when the fight was over it was just business...shake a hand and move on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, BustedKnuckles said:

honestly im not a fan of disrespecting anyone ...but sports are as mental as they are physical...its literally part of the game ...not everyone can do it...those that are good at it will use it ...those whos personalities wont really allow it wont do it.....i can name so many fighters who use mental tactics to win fights ...i like a fighter who trains hard and entertains the fans....Roberto Duran was plain evil in the ring....before and after his fights he was hard pressed to give respect...but he is one of boxing favorite fighters because he fought like a demon and the crowd loved it....Hagler wouldnt shake an opponent's hand before a fight...ever...he disdained his opponents ...then when the fight was over it was just business...shake a hand and move on

I agree. I’m not saying you have to be best friends. I’ve actually come around to Nate Diaz because I believe he’s truly a punk at heart, and it’s kind of endearing. Connor just feels like it’s all an act, and it just comes off bad to me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • AhrnCityPahnder changed the title to UFC wagering: GSP -- I waz eeempressed by your performances. Godspeed!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...