What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (2 Viewers)

Having a small problem on my last couple of cooks. I have noticed that my meat has not been getting too much of the smoke. Obviously, I can tell by the small smoke ring. I have not been doing much different in terms of the lump and wood. I usually throw 2-3 big chunks of wood on top of the fire. Of course, it is difficult because I have to get the plate setter and grill on before the wood to get the temps right. So I just kind of throw them on top of the lump by lifting the plate setter a little.Should I be adding more wood. i dont want to over smoke it. Where do you guys place your wood. Do I have to take the plate setter off and look for a sweet spot to put the woodThanks
This is a ton easier to manage with a spider if you want to be OCD. That being said, smoke only penetrates up to about 120F. What I do is layer in the coals and randomly have chunks just in the mix in different spots around the perimiter. Then i light it dead center and put 3 or so baseball size chunks right on the hot spot before adding the meat. I try to get 2 pounds in every cook one way or the other. With the spider you can come back and easily add chunks a couple of times here and there.

Thanks guys. Culdy, This is the second time you have mentioned the spider to me. Ill check into it. Last time I went to the site you posted and I didnt really get what its purpose was

Thanks guys. Culdy, This is the second time you have mentioned the spider to me. Ill check into it. Last time I went to the site you posted and I didnt really get what its purpose was
Accomplishes a few objectives.Mainly puts the deflector right at the coal level rather than at ring level like the platesetter. This gives you more room to have more food in the egg using custom rigs. It also helps with hot spots (some). Plus, as seen above you can get at the coals easier during cooking vs. the platsetter (inverted). Alot. Some people use it for woks inverted, but I've never done that or been drawn to that as an option.

Accomplishes a few objectives.Mainly puts the deflector right at the coal level rather than at ring level like the platesetter. This gives you more room to have more food in the egg using custom rigs. It also helps with hot spots (some). Plus, as seen above you can get at the coals easier during cooking vs. the platsetter (inverted). Alot. Some people use it for woks inverted, but I've never done that or been drawn to that as an option.
Thanks. I just revisited that site and I get it now. I think I will be getting one of their combos, I just need to decide which one I want. I know I can easily build a second cooking grid with what Newly Retired was saying but this seems easy and it comes with a few options.

Thanks. I just revisited that site and I get it now. I think I will be getting one of their combos, I just need to decide which one I want. I know I can easily build a second cooking grid with what Newly Retired was saying but this seems easy and it comes with a few options.
You can still be a cheapass and use the old circle one on the fire ring and put the rig on top. Plenty of room to get 2 birds done in that configuration, hell if you cut them up you could probably squeeze 3-4 on that way, lots of ribs, etc.

Decided on the Rib and brisket combosince Ribs is my main smoking meat.

Cant wait to see the flexibility with this thing. 2 rib slabs uncut and a pork shoulder. Should be fun. I also get the ability to add wood easier which is nice. I am smoking up some ribs next week for a fundraiser. Really hoping this comes by then to try it out

Thanks again Culdeus

'AcerFC said:
Decided on the Rib and brisket combosince Ribs is my main smoking meat. Cant wait to see the flexibility with this thing. 2 rib slabs uncut and a pork shoulder. Should be fun. I also get the ability to add wood easier which is nice. I am smoking up some ribs next week for a fundraiser. Really hoping this comes by then to try it outThanks again Culdeus
Acer, please post some pics of you using this in various configs. I am interested to see how it works out.

Decided on the Rib and brisket combosince Ribs is my main smoking meat. Cant wait to see the flexibility with this thing. 2 rib slabs uncut and a pork shoulder. Should be fun. I also get the ability to add wood easier which is nice. I am smoking up some ribs next week for a fundraiser. Really hoping this comes by then to try it outThanks again Culdeus
You will *love* this (and never use your platesetter again). At some point, you can/will buy another cooking rack / holders (and another stone, too). That makes it a true "do anything" setup. I really like mine.

'proninja said:
The table comes in Wednesday, I'll pick it up then. Friday is my day off, and 'I've got a bunch of salmon filets that need to be smoked in the morning, after that I might throw in a small pork butt. So excited.
Congrats! If you have not used a ceramic smoker/grill before maker sure you watch a bunch of YouTube vids so that you don't get frustrated with temp control.

You will *love* this (and never use your platesetter again). At some point, you can/will buy another cooking rack / holders (and another stone, too). That makes it a true "do anything" setup. I really like mine.
I am really interested to see how this works it looks cool. I am having a hard time picturing the setup based on that one pic. Does your normal grill sit right on top?

I am really interested to see how this works it looks cool. I am having a hard time picturing the setup based on that one pic. Does your normal grill sit right on top?
Yes.That rack (they call it the "adjustable rig") goes in your grill, and the bottom rests on the same ledge the platesetter rests on. And you can get multiple crosspieces / grills / stones / etc. So for mine, I have two racks, and two stones. Putting a stone low acts as your heat deflector (you can also use the spider for this and get the stone even lower) - then you can have several levels of cooking, plus your regular grill rests nicely on top.

'proninja said:
'proninja said:
The table comes in Wednesday, I'll pick it up then. Friday is my day off, and 'I've got a bunch of salmon filets that need to be smoked in the morning, after that I might throw in a small pork butt. So excited.
Congrats! If you have not used a ceramic smoker/grill before maker sure you watch a bunch of YouTube vids so that you don't get frustrated with temp control.
Any users in particular I should go find?
These guys have some decent ones but looks around, there are a tonhttp://www.youtube.com/user/bbqguys

Yes.That rack (they call it the "adjustable rig") goes in your grill, and the bottom rests on the same ledge the platesetter rests on. And you can get multiple crosspieces / grills / stones / etc. So for mine, I have two racks, and two stones. Putting a stone low acts as your heat deflector (you can also use the spider for this and get the stone even lower) - then you can have several levels of cooking, plus your regular grill rests nicely on top.
sounds very versatile. I would love to see some pics of this in action if you have any.

When I purchased it, I was under the assumption that I would be able to use my grid that the egg came with to form two zones. Am I incorrect? I tried to put the grid into the rig and I cant seem to get it to fit (because I dont think it does). Where do you put the stock grid? NR> The fundraiser got moved to this week. I will be smoking on Wednesday. Ill snap some pics.

When I purchased it, I was under the assumption that I would be able to use my grid that the egg came with to form two zones. Am I incorrect? I tried to put the grid into the rig and I cant seem to get it to fit (because I dont think it does). Where do you put the stock grid? NR> The fundraiser got moved to this week. I will be smoking on Wednesday. Ill snap some pics.
thanks! I have zero imagination for stuff like this and am having a hard time understanding the different configs with actually seeing it.I am particularly confused when you say your normal grid does not fit on top since I figured that is where it would go, to give you two shelves to use.

Lays right on top (it's too big to fit "in" it)NR - I'll try and take some pics over the next week too.

When you guys do ribs, do you cut the top part off to have them presented nicely or do you leave it on. Usually I leave them on, but Im smoking for co workers tomorrow and not sure if there is etiquette involved

When you guys do ribs, do you cut the top part off to have them presented nicely or do you leave it on. Usually I leave them on, but Im smoking for co workers tomorrow and not sure if there is etiquette involved
What top part?

What top part?
rib tips? (think that is what they are called)
I don't know what this is so I'm going to say no. I finally, finally got my BBR's 100% nailed perfect. Smoked on oak rather than hickory and spritzed with Apple cider vinegar only. No foil. Pulled when it just barely started to crack. Not just best I've done, best I've had. Ever.

This may help from wiki. I think Acer might be referring to St Louis cut ribs=========================================Spare ribs, also called "spareribs" or "side ribs", are taken from the belly side of the rib cage, below the section of back ribs and above the sternum (breast bone). Spare ribs are flatter and contain more bone than meat, but more fat can make the ribs more tender than back ribs. The origin of the name "spare ribs" is not certain, but could be related to the spare amount of meat after the belly is removed.St. Louis style ribs (or St. Louis cut spare ribs) are St. Louis style when the sternum bone, cartilage, and rib tips (see below) have been removed. The shape is almost rectangular.Kansas City style ribs are trimmed even more closely than the St. Louis style ribs, and have the hard bone removed.Rib tipsRib tips are short, meaty sections of rib attached to the lower end of the spare ribs, between the ribs and the sternum. Unlike back ribs or spare ribs, the structure of the rib is provided by dense costal cartilage, not bone. Rib tips are cut away from the spare ribs when preparing St. Louis style spare ribs.

'proninja said:
Question: Is USDA choice meat the same everywhere? Costco is 4.19/lb for choice brisket, cash and carry is 2.49/lb for choice brisket. Any reason at all why I shouldn't buy it at C&C?
Is it cryobagged? Then maybe.

:pickle: :pickle:

the 20 inches of snow that got dumped on my deck last week is gone and I can smell spring! we has a particularly bad winter here in Boston and I did not use the Egg much but I intend to make up for that in the coming months.

I just fired up the egg now and it is humming along at 650 to do a long clean burn to get everything ready for the early part of the season.

I think my first cook is going to be a new one, a Peruvian Chicken recipe I saw on America's Test Kitchen.

Whole chicken, marinated in a spicy paste for 24 hours, and then vertically roasted indirect with plum wood.

So a I mentioned yesterday I did a long clean burn. This morning I gave every thing a good scraping and vacuuming.

I noticed that my grill grate appears to have rusted a bit over the winter. I am not sure what caused this since the way I store the grates has been the same for the past 7 years.

Is it safe to cooked on rusted grates (I scraped them clean but you can still see some rust color), or do I need to buy a new one?

Bought the cast iron grate last week for my egg.

Sweet barbecue Jesus....I highly recommend this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought the cast iron grate last week for my egg.Sweet barbecue Jesus....I highly recommend this thing.
Definitely picking one up soon. :thumbup:
I try not to be too hyperbolic, but it's phenomenal. When you put the meat on it...it just sizzles so purty. Gives you tremendous grill marks too.
:thumbup: Anyone have the half-moon raised grill? I need a little extra room and that looks like a great idea.

'proninja said:
I'm finally getting around to my first cook on this thing. I got a cedar table with it and it took me a month to get around to finishing it so it wouldn't be ugly and gray in a year. :bag: :skiseason:

So far so good. Man, this thing heats up fast. It's easy to see how people have trouble keeping it cool. I thought I had it pretty rock on at 225, put two pork butts on, and within 5 minutes it was up to 239. Just shut the grates a tad, and it's slowly moving down. 237 now. I'm *really* happy I bought one of these to go along with my Egg.
Just be careful that the initial heat wasn't from the starters. Once those go out, the temps come down. Whenever I put meat on the temps usually drop 50-75 degrees, not go up like you. If it worked, great. Just keep an eye on it.

Having a small problem on my last couple of cooks. I have noticed that my meat has not been getting too much of the smoke. Obviously, I can tell by the small smoke ring. I have not been doing much different in terms of the lump and wood. I usually throw 2-3 big chunks of wood on top of the fire. Of course, it is difficult because I have to get the plate setter and grill on before the wood to get the temps right. So I just kind of throw them on top of the lump by lifting the plate setter a little.Should I be adding more wood. i dont want to over smoke it. Where do you guys place your wood. Do I have to take the plate setter off and look for a sweet spot to put the woodThanks
Get those heavy welding gloves. I use them to lift the plate setter and then bury my smoke wood in the reddest part of the coals. Hands stay safe then.

'ninja, as you get into this, I'll be curious to hear what accessories you find most valuable and any tips you might have.

I got a CI grate and I'm planning on grilling steaks tomorrow just to start with something relatively easy

Having a small problem on my last couple of cooks. I have noticed that my meat has not been getting too much of the smoke. Obviously, I can tell by the small smoke ring. I have not been doing much different in terms of the lump and wood. I usually throw 2-3 big chunks of wood on top of the fire. Of course, it is difficult because I have to get the plate setter and grill on before the wood to get the temps right. So I just kind of throw them on top of the lump by lifting the plate setter a little.

Should I be adding more wood. i dont want to over smoke it. Where do you guys place your wood. Do I have to take the plate setter off and look for a sweet spot to put the wood

Thanks
Unpossible. I like to use wood chips (soaked) since they fit between the grate. I'll add them in the beginning, middle and end.Just got done prepping my 10 pound pork butt. Figure I'll put it on around 5:30 tomorrow morning.

'ninja, as you get into this, I'll be curious to hear what accessories you find most valuable and any tips you might have. I got a CI grate and I'm planning on grilling steaks tomorrow just to start with something relatively easy
It is generally recommended for your first couple of cooks to not do any super high temp cooking if possible to allow the gaskets to work themselves into a heated environment. One item most people start with is spatchcock chicken. It is simple and cooks at 350.

Hoping a new kamado Joe owner is allowed in this thread. Had it 3 weeks. Burgers first then a whole chicken last weekend and trying ribs this morning. Gas weber for last 13 years which I liked but those burgers were better than anything I remember from a gas grill. Got mine with all the accessories. I know I need a meat probe and a therm for the grill itself. I will be reading this thread to catch up and review all tips.

Hoping a new kamado Joe owner is allowed in this thread. Had it 3 weeks. Burgers first then a whole chicken last weekend and trying ribs this morning. Gas weber for last 13 years which I liked but those burgers were better than anything I remember from a gas grill. Got mine with all the accessories. I know I need a meat probe and a therm for the grill itself. I will be reading this thread to catch up and review all tips.
Sure, any and all ceramic grill chat is great I think. Where did you buy yours?

Unpossible. I like to use wood chips (soaked) since they fit between the grate. I'll add them in the beginning, middle and end.Just got done prepping my 10 pound pork butt. Figure I'll put it on around 5:30 tomorrow morning.
:wub: :pics: in tighty whities please.

For a good friday party I did a 11# pork but and a couple of racks. Did it at 200 and for 22 hours. Worked great.

However, my digi q broke about halfway through The probe was not giving a reading back to the base. I guessed that I had broken the trace wire when I set the lid back down on it. (dumb move). So I did a quick hobo splice and got it back running again, but the temp was off by 10 dF or so. Those probes are like 30 bucks so I'll just get another, but I'll try and impedance match this one to get it back in service as an emergency backup.

This week I'm finalizing plans for my nest. Going to have oklahoma sandstone facing with granite counters. It's going to look something like

http://www.houzz.com/photos/1506463/Grand-Rapids-Fireplace--Outdoor-Kitchen--and-Pool-traditional-patio-grand-rapids

that. more or less.

Sure, any and all ceramic grill chat is great I think.Where did you buy yours?
locally (Allen, TX) The place sold primo, Kamado, and BGE...

first round of ribs went well - not the greates but moist and good..

Sure, any and all ceramic grill chat is great I think.Where did you buy yours?
locally (Allen, TX) The place sold primo, Kamado, and BGE...

first round of ribs went well - not the greates but moist and good..
great! There is a small learning curve but you will shortly be turning out food you will absolutely love!

This is for Acer and anyone else who wants to chime in.

My buddy is about to pick up a BGE and wanted my opinion on accessories.

Normally I would have told him the plate setter was the number 1 priority, but after seeing the cool combo set Acer bought, I wonder if it would be better to recommend something like that instead, which also includes a form of a plate setter. Link is below for the combo rig

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig-r-b-oval-combo/

Normally I would have told him the plate setter was the number 1 priority, but after seeing the cool combo set Acer bought, I wonder if it would be better to recommend something like that instead, which also includes a form of a plate setter. Link is below for the combo rig

I never got around to posting pics of mine like I said I would a month or so ago, but I will say the stuff from the ceramic grill store is very. very versatile, and I can't imagine not having it. Love my adjustable rig.

I never got around to posting pics of mine like I said I would a month or so ago, but I will say the stuff from the ceramic grill store is very. very versatile, and I can't imagine not having it. Love my adjustable rig.
Did you get the same thing as Acer or something different? I forget.

If I had to pick, I would go with the ceramic grill store stuff. It is a little more money but well worth it for what you get. The plate setter is still nice for pizza set up but you can do that different ways

If I had to pick, I would go with the ceramic grill store stuff. It is a little more money but well worth it for what you get. The plate setter is still nice for pizza set up but you can do that different ways
Can you put a pizza stone on top of the rig you bought or does that not work/fit?

Users who are viewing this thread