What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (3 Viewers)

Does any have any techniques they would recommend to smoke bone-in chicken thighs? I am trying to figure out an Egg temp and rough cooking time.

I was thinking of brining them first, and then smoking at about 275ish. I am unsure how long they would take roughly to hit an internal temp of 165-170ish. Any thoughts
I have done thighs and legs BUT, I did them in a pan not directly on the grate. I think it took 2 hours or so
In a pan direct heat, or indirect heat? And what temp did you cook at?
indirect. I think it was 275 but I don't remember. I think anywhere from 275-325 you will be OK

Does any have any techniques they would recommend to smoke bone-in chicken thighs? I am trying to figure out an Egg temp and rough cooking time.

I was thinking of brining them first, and then smoking at about 275ish. I am unsure how long they would take roughly to hit an internal temp of 165-170ish. Any thoughts
I have done thighs and legs BUT, I did them in a pan not directly on the grate. I think it took 2 hours or so
indirect. I think it was 275 but I don't remember. I think anywhere from 275-325 you will be OK
Awesome, thanks!

Is there a specific reason you did them in a pan?

Awesome, thanks!Is there a specific reason you did them in a pan?
i was trying to follow joe Bryan's recipe. I had not had the egg very long.

I've been out of town but was able to get two cooks on my new Kamado Joe on the 4th. Did burgers for lunch and 2 spatchcocked chickens for dinner. All came out great and was lots of fun. Will try doing ribs this weekend during a brewing session.

The one thing that surprised me was the amount of smoke being generated by the lump charcoal alone. I am not sure if it was the way I lit the fire and had the charcoal stack or if it was the brand of lump I was using (Cowboy). I know Cowboy has a bad rep here but unfortunately it was all I could find at ACE and Home Depot. I did inspect the Cowboy and was actually encouraged that none of it was scrap but it smoked a LOT -- definitely enough that I did not add wood.

I've been out of town but was able to get two cooks on my new Kamado Joe on the 4th. Did burgers for lunch and 2 spatchcocked chickens for dinner. All came out great and was lots of fun. Will try doing ribs this weekend during a brewing session.

The one thing that surprised me was the amount of smoke being generated by the lump charcoal alone. I am not sure if it was the way I lit the fire and had the charcoal stack or if it was the brand of lump I was using (Cowboy). I know Cowboy has a bad rep here but unfortunately it was all I could find at ACE and Home Depot. I did inspect the Cowboy and was actually encouraged that none of it was scrap but it smoked a LOT -- definitely enough that I did not add wood.
This is fairly unusual. After the first 10 min or so with lid down it is hard to even detect a wisp of smoke if running on pure lump for me.

This is fairly unusual. After the first 10 min or so with lid down it is hard to even detect a wisp of smoke if running on pure lump for me.
It varies for me based on temperature. It seems to give a smokey output longer if I am cooking at 375 than 225 but I never really measured it.

proninja said:

I did chicken legs a couple weeks ago at 275. Brined them overnight, then let sit in a dressing I make that is olive oil, garlic, mustard, rosemary, and orange muscat vinegar. Threw in a couple handfuls of apple wood. It wasn't anything I planned, I just had some extra legs in the freezer and had the dressing. Turned out fantastic. Really good. A lot better than I thought it would. Don't remember on time though, so I can't help you there.
This sounds really good, thanks.

Should brining always be an overnight type thing or can you get away with shorter brines like in the 2-3 hour range?

proninja said:

I did chicken legs a couple weeks ago at 275. Brined them overnight, then let sit in a dressing I make that is olive oil, garlic, mustard, rosemary, and orange muscat vinegar. Threw in a couple handfuls of apple wood. It wasn't anything I planned, I just had some extra legs in the freezer and had the dressing. Turned out fantastic. Really good. A lot better than I thought it would. Don't remember on time though, so I can't help you there.
This sounds really good, thanks.

Should brining always be an overnight type thing or can you get away with shorter brines like in the 2-3 hour range?
If you are going to cook low-ish and slow-ish with chicken a dry brine is imo the way to approach it. If you have several try both. Would be make a great experiment on who likes what most and what makes the best presentation. If you want a third split try an injected marinade you like.

Keep in mind most competition cooks that brine remove the skin first and somehow put it back later. I would rather avoid this so I do a dry brine watch the internal temps like a hawk.

With chicken it's more about the cooking temp that determines the speed of brine penetration once it is actually no longer in the brine anymore. With the skin on the brine will barely penetrate the bird at all while still in solution.

This has been my experience with my Weber Smokey Mountain and Kingsford charcoal. After initial startup very little smoke unless I add wood. I am thinking it is either the lump or the fact that these were my first two cooks on this thing and I need more experience.

One question: When I built my fire I placed the big chunks on the bottom, smaller on top, in somewhat of a pyramid. Should I have stirred it up a bit once the fire was going?

This has been my experience with my Weber Smokey Mountain and Kingsford charcoal. After initial startup very little smoke unless I add wood. I am thinking it is either the lump or the fact that these were my first two cooks on this thing and I need more experience.

One question: When I built my fire I placed the big chunks on the bottom, smaller on top, in somewhat of a pyramid. Should I have stirred it up a bit once the fire was going?
I usually do except when I am trying to do a quasi two-zone indirect and just try to get one side lit.

I usually do except when I am trying to do a quasi two-zone indirect and just try to get one side lit.
Thanks Culdeus. Appreciate the info.

Got my BGE last month and love it so far! This thread has been very helpful.

I'm having problems maintaining a low temp for slow cooks (220-240 range).

I tried my first set of baby back ribs last night. Initially I tried to get to 220-240. It took about an hour to get to 220 (started at 300 after i added the ribs). I cracked the vent to a sliver and cracked open the daisy wheel for minimum airflow. Eventually got 220 so I let it sit but I wasn't paying attention and about an hour later the fire went out (~170 degrees). I relit the flame but could not get it back down to 220, it stayed near 300.

I'll try Culdeus' tip to keep the daisy wheel completely open. Any other tips?

Stir and spread the coals first?

Wait longer to let the temp settle before i start cooking?

Use less charcoal? I was previously filling to near the firecap.

I tried my first set of baby back ribs last night. Initially I tried to get to 220-240. It took about an hour to get to 220 (started at 300 after i added the ribs). I cracked the vent to a sliver and cracked open the daisy wheel for minimum airflow. Eventually got 220 so I let it sit but I wasn't paying attention and about an hour later the fire went out (~170 degrees). I relit the flame but could not get it back down to 220, it stayed near 300.

Hmm, not sure. The ceramic cooker faq has some information on building fires that might be worth a read.http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm

An hour does seem too long though to get settled. I can usually settle in at 225-250 in 30 minutes or less. How are you starting the fire?

I always stir my coal every time I use it.

In terms of how much lump, I fill it usually half way up the fire ring (which is the piece that sits on top of the fire box), no matter what temp I am trying to hit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmm, not sure. The ceramic cooker faq has some information on building fires that might be worth a read.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm

An hour does seem too long though to get settled. I can usually settle in at 225-250 in 30 minutes or less. How are you starting the fire?
Thanks, i'll take a look at that faq.

I start using a full chimney fire starter, then add a some more charcoal once I throw the heated charcoal into the BGE.

i was in the exact same position as you. I was losing fires all the time. It looks like you are current in the thread since you know about the Culdy method.My advice, start one fire cube deep in the middle of the egg making sure you have 2-3 big chunks of lump covering the fire (but not smothering it obviously). Leave the lid and vent open for 10 minutes while the coals get warm. After 10 minutes, close the lid. I then put the daisy wheel on, opening the wheel to show full holes. I close the vent to a little less than half way. I get the egg up to about 325 for 20-25 minutes and then I put the wood and food on. This should drop the temps down to 225-250. I then use the vent to control all air flow never touching the wheel.

I have done this my last 3 cooks and it has been awesome. Try it and report back. I'm interested to see if its just me or if it works for you as well.

I choked out the fire a couple of times early on because of the plate setter. I would get the temp down low and add the plate setter. Now I add the plate setter when the temp is steady around 300 and bring it down from there.

I choked out the fire a couple of times early on because of the plate setter. I would get the temp down low and add the plate setter. Now I add the plate setter when the temp is steady around 300 and bring it down from there.
There are so many varied methods it appears everyone tries something different. Here are my steps for low, indirect

Blow torch three different sections of lump for 45 seconds each

Leave bottom vent and dome open for 2 more minute until lump is nicely smoking

Add in adjustable rig with stone

Close dome and add daisy wheel on top

Once Egg reaches 250 close wheel and bottom vent both with small cracks

Make adjustments after meat is added to make sure it equalizes itself

I just picked up this BGE knock-off that apparently gets rave reviews for performing as well as the ceramic cookers: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JX1L3I

$299 from Amazon (for the black one), but people have gotten them as cheap as $220 with coupons.

Also picked up a 2 probe maverick thermometer, a weber charcoal grate to lay above the charcoal bed, and a cheap pizza pan to use as a heat deflector for low and slow.

I've seasoned the cast iron grill grate and now am trying to figure out what I should cook? I think the thermometer is not going to arrive until next week and I don't trust the built-in one at all, so am thinking of grill roasting something at higher temp than one would use for BBQ / smoking.

Thoughts or suggestions? Will default to chicken unless someone else has a good idea

I just picked up this BGE knock-off that apparently gets rave reviews for performing as well as the ceramic cookers: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JX1L3I

$299 from Amazon (for the black one), but people have gotten them as cheap as $220 with coupons.

Also picked up a 2 probe maverick thermometer, a weber charcoal grate to lay above the charcoal bed, and a cheap pizza pan to use as a heat deflector for low and slow.

I've seasoned the cast iron grill grate and now am trying to figure out what I should cook? I think the thermometer is not going to arrive until next week and I don't trust the built-in one at all, so am thinking of grill roasting something at higher temp than one would use for BBQ / smoking.

Thoughts or suggestions? Will default to chicken unless someone else has a good idea
search the thread for spatchcock chicken.

eta: congrats on the purchase...you'll love it! And the Maverick thermometer is great too!

jamny said:
snitwitch said:

search the thread for spatchcock chicken.
Here is the link for Spatchcock chicken. It is the traditional cook to break in a ceramic cooker.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

snitwitch said:
I I think the thermometer is not going to arrive until next week and I don't trust the built-in one at all
Note that the built in thermometer is perfectly reliable but it only tells you what the dome temp is. You need at least one more (like the one you ordered) to use to test the temp of your meat.

Made some nice pork kabobs tonight. Cubed a pork tenderloin, sprinkled on some Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust and marinated in some Italian dressing and chili sauce.

Very tasty.

My wife purchased some chicken drum sticks. Before freezing them, she tore off the skim "for health reasons". God I need a new wife :)

Can I smoke skinless drumsticks? I was think of putting the chicken in a pan with a soy, honey, ginger liquid and just keep basting it every 20 minutes at 275 indirect until it hit internal temp.

Will that work or am I going to be left with shoe leather with out the skin?

proninja said:
My wife purchased some chicken drum sticks. Before freezing them, she tore off the skim "for health reasons". God I need a new wife :)

Can I smoke skinless drumsticks? I was think of putting the chicken in a pan with a soy, honey, ginger liquid and just keep basting it every 20 minutes at 275 indirect until it hit internal temp.

Will that work or am I going to be left with shoe leather with out the skin?
You're fine. By soy do you mean sauce? I'd make sure there's something salty that the meat has been soaked in for a bit, it'll help it retain moisture.
Great thanks!Yes I meant soy sauce, which should provide the salt taste in the liquid.

Just passing something on - was planning on cooking last weekend, it started to rain, and kind of made things tough in getting a fire going. So I'm in Lowes the other day, and see the chimney / stovepipe caps... I figured 'why not?" - bought a 6" cap (w/ the top part measuring about 8-9"). It fits *perfectly* on the large, even with the daisy wheel on. It's like putting a little umbrella over it - great $10 rain solution.

Just passing something on - was planning on cooking last weekend, it started to rain, and kind of made things tough in getting a fire going. So I'm in Lowes the other day, and see the chimney / stovepipe caps... I figured 'why not?" - bought a 6" cap (w/ the top part measuring about 8-9"). It fits *perfectly* on the large, even with the daisy wheel on. It's like putting a little umbrella over it - great $10 rain solution.
Was it one of these styles?

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Chimney-Cap-Replacement-for-Big-Green-Egg-Stainless-Steel-Improved-/00/s/NTY4WDcyMA==/z/LwIAAOxyu0BReEMK/$(KGrHqEOKpgE7F5Wqi35BReEMKb-Tw~~60_35.JPG

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/rubanr/IMG_0331.jpg

Speaking of the rain caps, has anyone moved over to this system which replaces the daisy wheel entirely and doubles as a rain cap?

If you click on it you will get a nice description

http://eggware.net/Vented_Chimney_Caps/
hmmm... I like.
Me too. I am intrigued because it appears to replace both the green cap and the daisy wheel, and because of its design also acts as a rain cap. I am hoping to find some one who has used it to see what they think for temp control.

I am also unsure about the wording where this one unit fits different sized Eggs. Are the tops of XL, L and M eggs all the same size?

Speaking of the rain caps, has anyone moved over to this system which replaces the daisy wheel entirely and doubles as a rain cap?

If you click on it you will get a nice description

http://eggware.net/Vented_Chimney_Caps/
hmmm... I like.
Me too. I am intrigued because it appears to replace both the green cap and the daisy wheel, and because of its design also acts as a rain cap.I am hoping to find some one who has used it to see what they think for temp control.

I am also unsure about the wording where this one unit fits different sized Eggs. Are the tops of XL, L and M eggs all the same size?
yes

Only thing I can think of is that it could get pretty nasty. Cast iron you can just vaporize the gunk on it during a high temp cook for 3-5 min. Stainless would come out looking bad after such a step. Doing a shoulder could end up with crap caked on and virtually impossible to get off or close down the vents.

Only thing I can think of is that it could get pretty nasty. Cast iron you can just vaporize the gunk on it during a high temp cook for 3-5 min. Stainless would come out looking bad after such a step. Doing a shoulder could end up with crap caked on and virtually impossible to get off or close down the vents.
Excellent point.

I will look around some of the BGE specific forums to see if anyone has a decent review on this as you never know where the reviews come from on the site that is selling the unit.

Two questions.

1). After your fire is lit and you want to add a wood chunk or two, where you guys place it? Do you bury it deep, or light lightly or just leave on top?

2) When carving a fill rack of spare ribs into a st louis style, are your bones typically more or less the same size? When ever I do this I still end up with smaller bones at the end giving the rack a curved look instead of a straight one.

Oh and Acer, I absolutely love the "rib tips". I don't think I am ever going to buy a pre cut St Louis style again and miss out on that section.

Two questions.

1). After your fire is lit and you want to add a wood chunk or two, where you guys place it? Do you bury it deep, or light lightly or just leave on top?

2) When carving a fill rack of spare ribs into a st louis style, are your bones typically more or less the same size? When ever I do this I still end up with smaller bones at the end giving the rack a curved look instead of a straight one.

Oh and Acer, I absolutely love the "rib tips". I don't think I am ever going to buy a pre cut St Louis style again and miss out on that section.
1) Still messing with this. I usually bury some chunks in the lump deep. Then right as the temp hits ok chunk 8oz of so right on top. I'm not convinced this is the ideal method. It probably doesn't matter.

2) yes, this is normal no? Never given it much thought.

Not sure if there are any Food TV fans here but my wife said she recorded a Bobby Flay BBQ Addiction episode in which he used the Big Green Egg. I have not watched it yet but you might want to check your guides to see if you can catch a repeat. It was an episode in which he cooks Ginger chicken on the Egg. My wife said he did some interesting things by adding some spices directly to the fire.

Two questions.

:hifive:

My ribs are never the same size and no one seems to care

Users who are viewing this thread