What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (1 Viewer)

Man, buying a new grill has been a harder decision than buying a new car.

After being sold on the BGE over the WSM, then being tempted by the new Chargriller Kamado Acorn, after much :wall: I've finally decided on the BGE. I looked at the CKA over the weekend and although it looks fine (put together poorly by the store though) it's just not nearly close to the Egg. After putting them through a pros/cons list, the only con for the Egg that I can see is the price. We're not talking about thousands of dollars and I've always been someone who believes that you should always buy the best you can afford.

So, one Large Big Green Egg please! :thumbup:

I'm still struggling a bit to get dialed into how much lump is required to get the effect I need in all situations. Other than that it's been awesome. I haven't done a super long cook yet. Just one shoulder to get the hang of it so far.

I haven't read this whole thread... but can someone summarize how easy/difficult this is to clean? I also assume they are pretty heavy and therefore difficult to move around. Any issues keeping them outside?

I haven't read this whole thread... but can someone summarize how easy/difficult this is to clean? I also assume they are pretty heavy and therefore difficult to move around. Any issues keeping them outside?
They are extremely heavy.But once they are inside the nest they are very easy to roll on a flat surface. Cleaning is ultra simple. It works as a self cleaning oven. Just put in a small amount of lump, and let it burn at 600 until the lump is gone. It burns everything off the grates, the fly wheel etc. Then just clean up ash as normal. I do a clean burn maybe twice a month under normal usage.I have left mine outside for 7 years, always covered. This is in Boston with harsh winters. No problems at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are extremely heavy.But once they are inside the nest they are very easy to roll on a flat surface. Cleaning is ultra simple. It works as a self cleaning oven. Just put in a small amount of lump, and let it burn at 600 until the lump is gone. It burns everything off the grates, the fly wheel etc. Then just clean up ash as normal. I do a clean burn maybe twice a month under normal usage.I have left mine outside for 7 years, always covered. This is in Boston with harsh winters. No problems at all.
Thanks! Good info!

Fired up some pizzas with Trader Joes dough and all sorts of fixings. Had the grill at 650 degrees with a pizza stone. Took about 8-10 minutes for each 10 inchish pizza. Best homemade pizza I've ever had.

Gonna smoke some beef ribs tomorrow with the 3-2-1 method, though expect more like 3-1-1 method.

Fired up some pizzas with Trader Joes dough and all sorts of fixings. Had the grill at 650 degrees with a pizza stone. Took about 8-10 minutes for each 10 inchish pizza. Best homemade pizza I've ever had.Gonna smoke some beef ribs tomorrow with the 3-2-1 method, though expect more like 3-1-1 method.
:thumbup:

Fired up a big pork fattie and a frittata in the Egg this morning for Mother's Day. Took the fattie two hours to get to 160, frittata took an hour in some Le Creuset stoneware. Had Egg at 320 for first hour, up to 500 in the last 30 minutes to finish off the frittata.

Fired up a big pork fattie and a frittata in the Egg this morning for Mother's Day. Took the fattie two hours to get to 160, frittata took an hour in some Le Creuset stoneware. Had Egg at 320 for first hour, up to 500 in the last 30 minutes to finish off the frittata.

How do you like the stoneware to cook in? I have not tried it but am interested.

'Sandeman said:
Fired up some pizzas with Trader Joes dough and all sorts of fixings. Had the grill at 650 degrees with a pizza stone. Took about 8-10 minutes for each 10 inchish pizza. Best homemade pizza I've ever had.Gonna smoke some beef ribs tomorrow with the 3-2-1 method, though expect more like 3-1-1 method.
How did the beef ribs come out? I have a tough time finding those locally to buy for cooking.

The stoneware was great. Buttered the sides and then poured the egg mixture in. It got tarnished due to the smoke but that's no big deal. The stoneware can get to several hundred degrees, no problem. Never did it before in an egg but it was great. The ribs turned out great too. I did two versions, one that was sauced in the last hour, the other dry. The sauced rack was better.

I used this guy as my inspiration. Mine didn't look as good but they tasted great. Meat was just shy of falling off the bone (easy to bite off the bone).

Safeway sells beef ribs here for $2.49/lb. I was surprised Costco doesn't sell them (only a few do, I'm told).

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Finally picked up my large BGE on Monday and put it together that day. Work has been hectic but got to throw some shrimp on for a quick meal yesterday but more importantly got to play around with the temp settings. Can't wait to really get cooking. I'll have one more chance before going on vacation but I got the grill so I would be ready for Memorial Day weekend when we get back.

The DVD was missing so I put it together with the help on the videos on their website. Be warned, the video is a little dated, since the metal band screws aren't the same setup as they show in their online vids. Still went together relatively easy.

My old grill is already dismantled and read for the garbage pickup tomorrow. Anyone else get a little sad when throwing away inanimate objects. Lots of memories of good meals on the old grill but looking forward to even better ones on the BGE. Thanks to NewlyRetired and others in this thread for pointing me in the right direction. So glad I made this choice.

Bringing baby home

Out of the box

Ready to go!

Finally picked up my large BGE on Monday and put it together that day. Work has been hectic but got to throw some shrimp on for a quick meal yesterday but more importantly got to play around with the temp settings. Can't wait to really get cooking. I'll have one more chance before going on vacation but I got the grill so I would be ready for Memorial Day weekend when we get back.

The DVD was missing so I put it together with the help on the videos on their website. Be warned, the video is a little dated, since the metal band screws aren't the same setup as they show in their online vids. Still went together relatively easy.

My old grill is already dismantled and read for the garbage pickup tomorrow. Anyone else get a little sad when throwing away inanimate objects. Lots of memories of good meals on the old grill but looking forward to even better ones on the BGE. Thanks to NewlyRetired and others in this thread for pointing me in the right direction. So glad I made this choice.

Bringing baby home

Out of the box

Ready to go!
A couple of suggestions, if you care at all.Don't cook anything above 450-500 degrees for your first few cooks. Let the grill get used to higher temps and you don't want to fry the gasket right away. You will fry that gasket later (there is a better, high temp gasket available anyway) but not yet.

Also, I wholeheartedly recommend a spatchcocked chicken for one of your first cooks. Or chicken thighs.

Get Dizzy Pig rub.

Visit the two biggreenegg forums if you haven't already.

Attend an eggfest.

Any questions, feel free to PM me, and enjoy the hell out of the best thing you've ever purchased :thumbup:

Bringing baby home

Out of the box

Ready to go!
A couple of suggestions, if you care at all.Don't cook anything above 450-500 degrees for your first few cooks. Let the grill get used to higher temps and you don't want to fry the gasket right away. You will fry that gasket later (there is a better, high temp gasket available anyway) but not yet.

Also, I wholeheartedly recommend a spatchcocked chicken for one of your first cooks. Or chicken thighs.

Get Dizzy Pig rub.

Visit the two biggreenegg forums if you haven't already.

Attend an eggfest.

Any questions, feel free to PM me, and enjoy the hell out of the best thing you've ever purchased :thumbup:
Thanks for your advice throughout this thread. Yeah I just threw on some shrimp (garlic, butter, Old Bay) for a low temp cook and plan on some chicken before our trip. I wanted to try the spatchcock since it's so highly recommended but don't want to have any bones in the garbage while we're away for the week. Probably just some burgers or chicken cutlets to keep it simple. This way, when we get back for the holiday weekend I can really go at it.I've been all over the other forums, great stuff!

Will definitely look into Dizzy Pig...thx!

Status update here:

Had mine for over a month now.

The good:

Salmon has been great on this thing. Perfect cook and holds in the moisture well.

Got the veggie "gas flavor" thing worked out by using butter instead of oil. Veggies are great

Only done steak once, but was awesome.

The meh:

Did a pork loin, but foolishly did not brine it. Only thing that turned out dry on the egg so far. I think with a brine it would have worked out fine

I did a brisket flat and i was deathly afraid of drying it out. The only flats I've ever done were shoe leather. I tricked it up to the max injecting it, mop, the works and pulled it probably before it was ready totally at 190. should have left it on for another hour maybe. Tasted great, but had not totally finished and was nowhere near drying out.

So far I have done one small pork shoulder and some country ribs. They were good, but I had a lot of trouble figuring out how to get the right smoke in it. They were more "roasted" than smoked.

Chicken has been hard. Getting the skin crispy is difficult, but the flavor of the meat is 10/10. There are some people that say you need to start skin side down until crispy and then flip till done. I'd been doing it the other way around and it hasn't worked. Trying that next.

The ugh:

First shot at pizza and totally burned the bottom of the crust. I still haven't really been able to strike a balance between bread with sauce and cheese or a burned wafer cracker. Trying again Friday.

Status update here:Had mine for over a month now. The good:Salmon has been great on this thing. Perfect cook and holds in the moisture well. Got the veggie "gas flavor" thing worked out by using butter instead of oil. Veggies are greatOnly done steak once, but was awesome. The meh:Did a pork loin, but foolishly did not brine it. Only thing that turned out dry on the egg so far. I think with a brine it would have worked out fineI did a brisket flat and i was deathly afraid of drying it out. The only flats I've ever done were shoe leather. I tricked it up to the max injecting it, mop, the works and pulled it probably before it was ready totally at 190. should have left it on for another hour maybe. Tasted great, but had not totally finished and was nowhere near drying out.So far I have done one small pork shoulder and some country ribs. They were good, but I had a lot of trouble figuring out how to get the right smoke in it. They were more "roasted" than smoked. Chicken has been hard. Getting the skin crispy is difficult, but the flavor of the meat is 10/10. There are some people that say you need to start skin side down until crispy and then flip till done. I'd been doing it the other way around and it hasn't worked. Trying that next. The ugh:First shot at pizza and totally burned the bottom of the crust. I still haven't really been able to strike a balance between bread with sauce and cheese or a burned wafer cracker. Trying again Friday.
I'll try and address some of your cons.Don't overdo the pork. I almost never brine anything and the pork loin was amazing. Are you using a good digital thermometer? For longer cooks I use a remote one, and also have a very good instant read one. When are you adding the wood? At the beginning of the cook? That's when it will absorb most of the smokey flavor and develop the good smoke ring.Chicken shouldnt be that hard. One of the tricks for crispy skin is that you can put the rub or whatever on the night before and leave the chicken uncovered in the fridge. The skin will dry out and get very crispy when cooked. I've not had to flip the chicken to crisp the skin. I just use a raised grid with direct heat. Pizza takes a while to get right. Depends on how hot the oven is, the type of crust, etc. Are you using a raised grid, plate setter legs up and a stone? The higher in the egg the better IMO for pizza.

Status update here:Had mine for over a month now. The good:Salmon has been great on this thing. Perfect cook and holds in the moisture well. Got the veggie "gas flavor" thing worked out by using butter instead of oil. Veggies are greatOnly done steak once, but was awesome. The meh:Did a pork loin, but foolishly did not brine it. Only thing that turned out dry on the egg so far. I think with a brine it would have worked out fineI did a brisket flat and i was deathly afraid of drying it out. The only flats I've ever done were shoe leather. I tricked it up to the max injecting it, mop, the works and pulled it probably before it was ready totally at 190. should have left it on for another hour maybe. Tasted great, but had not totally finished and was nowhere near drying out.So far I have done one small pork shoulder and some country ribs. They were good, but I had a lot of trouble figuring out how to get the right smoke in it. They were more "roasted" than smoked. Chicken has been hard. Getting the skin crispy is difficult, but the flavor of the meat is 10/10. There are some people that say you need to start skin side down until crispy and then flip till done. I'd been doing it the other way around and it hasn't worked. Trying that next. The ugh:First shot at pizza and totally burned the bottom of the crust. I still haven't really been able to strike a balance between bread with sauce and cheese or a burned wafer cracker. Trying again Friday.
I'll try and address some of your cons.Don't overdo the pork. I almost never brine anything and the pork loin was amazing. Are you using a good digital thermometer? For longer cooks I use a remote one, and also have a very good instant read one. When are you adding the wood? At the beginning of the cook? That's when it will absorb most of the smokey flavor and develop the good smoke ring.Chicken shouldnt be that hard. One of the tricks for crispy skin is that you can put the rub or whatever on the night before and leave the chicken uncovered in the fridge. The skin will dry out and get very crispy when cooked. I've not had to flip the chicken to crisp the skin. I just use a raised grid with direct heat. Pizza takes a while to get right. Depends on how hot the oven is, the type of crust, etc. Are you using a raised grid, plate setter legs up and a stone? The higher in the egg the better IMO for pizza.
My next plan is to just get a whole mess of chicken thighs and try several different experiments. I don't feel I'm that far away. That's my usual method on the pizza. I just probably need to get it hotter. When I did it without the setter that is when I burned it on the stone. Some say to not to the platesetter but just keep on it. :shrug: I have a thermapen and a few other digitials. I have a maverick, polder, and a maverick with an inside/outside. I probably need to align all the therms to see where they are +/- at a few temps.

My next plan is to just get a whole mess of chicken thighs and try several different experiments. I don't feel I'm that far away. That's my usual method on the pizza. I just probably need to get it hotter. When I did it without the setter that is when I burned it on the stone. Some say to not to the platesetter but just keep on it. :shrug: I have a thermapen and a few other digitials. I have a maverick, polder, and a maverick with an inside/outside. I probably need to align all the therms to see where they are +/- at a few temps.
Are you putting the plate setter feet up, then the grid, then the stone?

Yeah, but doing that I haven't been able to get enough heat to get the dome much up above 400. With the plate setter out I can hit 600 easy.

That's my usual method on the pizza. I just probably need to get it hotter. When I did it without the setter that is when I burned it on the stone. Some say to not to the platesetter but just keep on it. :shrug:
There are a bunch of different techniques. Here is what I do that has worked great over the years. Plate setter in, feet downOn plate setter, put the three ceramic feet that come with your egg and put them in a triangle On feet, put pizza stone that is a couple of inches smaller than your egg opening (this is key). Heat to 500Put dough/sauce on egg firstThen add cheese about half way throughThe ceramic feet between the pizza stone and plate setter allow for some air flow under the stone. As for the pork loin, I agree with the other poster that you are likely cooking it too long. I made this mistake in the beginning. Pork no longer needs to be cooked to the temperature it used to be decades ago. You should cook until 145 or so and the take it out and let rest. Should be no need for a brine. If you want to add a liitle extra flavor you can inject liquid before you cook.I can't give any advice about the chicken as I have always had great luck, whether it be direct or indirect cooking. For direct heat with chicken I would recommend a raised grill.

Yeah, but doing that I haven't been able to get enough heat to get the dome much up above 400. With the plate setter out I can hit 600 easy.
For pizzas, I will clean everything before cooking, get all the ash out, put in big pieces of lump filled to the top, daisy wheel off, front screen even open, and let it get up to temp. I've managed to get it up over 700 with plate setter.

I think I know what this is. If you can't get the egg over 400 with the plate setter in, you must have an air flow issue. Make sure the side holes in the bottom are clear, they are critical for high temp cooking. How big is your pizza stone? If it is too big it might also be blocking air flow.

I'm getting mine early for fathers day this weekend.

What are the absolute essentials

I'm thinking Charcoal, starter logs and a plate setter for indirect cooks. Anything else?

Plan on going to egg forums and reading this whole thread.

I'm getting mine early for fathers day this weekend. What are the absolute essentialsI'm thinking Charcoal, starter logs and a plate setter for indirect cooks. Anything else?Plan on going to egg forums and reading this whole thread.
Electric starter >>> anything else.

I'm getting mine early for fathers day this weekend. What are the absolute essentialsI'm thinking Charcoal, starter logs and a plate setter for indirect cooks. Anything else?Plan on going to egg forums and reading this whole thread.
My essential list in no orderPlate setterElectric starterSecond grill to build a raise grilledLump charcoal (not briquettes)Nest (unless you plan on building or buying a table).

Egg story time. So my buddy down the street got an egg recently as well. He's way into the overnight cooks and all that, but anyway that's not the main thing here. He only got into the egg because ANOTHER friend had one and he was really impressed.

So he helped the guy put together a stone nest by really only bringing in the material with his truck and the egg. The other guy (I don't know him) put together all the rocks/masonry/etc. and was ready to put the egg in. Thing is he didn't really have enough help to lift it and when setting it down in the rock nest the weight slipped. He ended up breaking each arm in two places as the egg crushed his arm against the stone work. They had to wench it up off of him to get him out and to the hospital where he was there for 3 weeks.

He had both complete arms in a cast for 2 months followed by forearm/hand casts for another month.

He isn't married or anything and was given an assortment of fleshlights and other hand substitutes to get him through.

Moral of the story boys. This thing is heavy.

Egg story time. So my buddy down the street got an egg recently as well. He's way into the overnight cooks and all that, but anyway that's not the main thing here. He only got into the egg because ANOTHER friend had one and he was really impressed.

So he helped the guy put together a stone nest by really only bringing in the material with his truck and the egg. The other guy (I don't know him) put together all the rocks/masonry/etc. and was ready to put the egg in. Thing is he didn't really have enough help to lift it and when setting it down in the rock nest the weight slipped. He ended up breaking each arm in two places as the egg crushed his arm against the stone work. They had to wench it up off of him to get him out and to the hospital where he was there for 3 weeks.
Yikes!

This place is awesome for non-essentials that one day you feel, "These are essentials." http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/
I have a spider, a large adjustable rig, an extra cooking grate, and two pizza stones. It's ideal for almost everything. I did a lot of reading, and decided the spider/rig/pizza stone was much better than the platesetter. You can adjust the height of the indirect placement, which I think is a good thing, and it's prettymuch indestructable. They have a setup (I think it's the "customer package") that prettymuch has everything you need. About $150 or so. I'd add an extra pair of crossbars to it, maybe, and a second pizza stone (I don't like the drip pan as a high heat block for pizza).

Electric starter >>> anything else.
My essential list in no orderPlate setterElectric starterSecond grill to build a raise grilledLump charcoal (not briquettes)Nest (unless you plan on building or buying a table).
Thanks. Looks like an electric starter it is.I plan on building a table for it so I dont need the nest. Hope to have it dont by next weekend if I can get the lumber on Saturday. A little bit after work for a week and Im set

My brother picked me up an electric starter at a garage sale for $1. Best $1 he ever spent.
I have tried every method of starting fires over the last 8 years that I have owned the Egg and nothing is as easy and works as well as the electric starter. Just need to make sure you have an outlet some where near by so you don't have to bother with huge extension cord.

My brother picked me up an electric starter at a garage sale for $1. Best $1 he ever spent.
I have tried every method of starting fires over the last 8 years that I have owned the Egg and nothing is as easy and works as well as the electric starter. Just need to make sure you have an outlet some where near by so you don't have to bother with huge extension cord.
In my opinion its probably the second best. The MAPP torch, if done safely, is quickest.

Users who are viewing this thread