What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (3 Viewers)

My brother picked me up an electric starter at a garage sale for $1. Best $1 he ever spent.
I have tried every method of starting fires over the last 8 years that I have owned the Egg and nothing is as easy and works as well as the electric starter. Just need to make sure you have an outlet some where near by so you don't have to bother with huge extension cord.
In my opinion its probably the second best. The MAPP torch, if done safely, is quickest.
For a smoke, I pour a bit of rubbing alcohol (91%) on a good-sized piece of lump in the middle. For a blazing fire for pizza, I pour on three medium-pieces of lump.Might take a bit longer, but that gives me time to prep food, clean my table, etc. Cheap too. A bottle is 99 cents.

Egg story time. So my buddy down the street got an egg recently as well. He's way into the overnight cooks and all that, but anyway that's not the main thing here. He only got into the egg because ANOTHER friend had one and he was really impressed. So he helped the guy put together a stone nest by really only bringing in the material with his truck and the egg. The other guy (I don't know him) put together all the rocks/masonry/etc. and was ready to put the egg in. Thing is he didn't really have enough help to lift it and when setting it down in the rock nest the weight slipped. He ended up breaking each arm in two places as the egg crushed his arm against the stone work. They had to wench it up off of him to get him out and to the hospital where he was there for 3 weeks.He had both complete arms in a cast for 2 months followed by forearm/hand casts for another month. He isn't married or anything and was given an assortment of fleshlights and other hand substitutes to get him through. Moral of the story boys. This thing is heavy.
But is the Egg ok? :unsure: My XL weighs 205 lbs. Had to take it out of the table I built for it the other day because my cheap-o rubber wheels went flat and the rims bent. So I had to take it out so I could take the legs off, cut them and install casters. At a minimum, it's a two-person job and you should take out all the stuff inside (firebox and fire ring), being very careful (I think BGE recomments not to ever take the stuff out once installed).

Today is officially my last day as a non-Egghead. Been wanting one of these for years and finally pulling the trigger. Just in time for summer cook outs by the pool. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Grill #2 - Just a couple of burgers. I try to err on the well done side for the wife. She even asked "which one's mine?" I told her I'm not up to seperate ones yet. A little well for my tastes but still very good and juicy. Just loving the process though. Getting a handle on it. Love this thing already. It's like a freakin furnace!

So I get home with my egg and go to put it together since I had plans to smoke some ribs tomorrow for my nieces party and I realize quickly the only gave me the egg box. No thermometer, handle , grill rack. Now I have to waste an hour going there tomorrow.

:mad:

So I get home with my egg and go to put it together since I had plans to smoke some ribs tomorrow for my nieces party and I realize quickly the only gave me the egg box. No thermometer, handle , grill rack. Now I have to waste an hour going there tomorrow. :mad:
Well the handle is huge because that's part of the metal band assemblythat sucks,

Also, there is supposed to be a big crack in the fire box right. It goes from top to bottom so I assumed its supposed to be like that

So I get home with my egg and go to put it together since I had plans to smoke some ribs tomorrow for my nieces party and I realize quickly the only gave me the egg box. No thermometer, handle , grill rack. Now I have to waste an hour going there tomorrow. :mad:
Well the handle is huge because that's part of the metal band assemblythat sucks,
Yeah, no metal band assembly either. Just the base, dome, fire box, fire ring and damper. Nothing else.

Also, there is supposed to be a big crack in the fire box right. It goes from top to bottom so I assumed its supposed to be like that
I need to go outside and look at mine but I don't think so. It should look clean like this.http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yPn45KkKQ-k/Sy11p_Ea79I/AAAAAAAADu8/QicX6fL2Jsk/s1600-h/DSC_0258+resized.jpgWhere is the crack?

Yeah, no metal band assembly either. Just the base, dome, fire box, fire ring and damper. Nothing else.
Do you have the box with the spring hinge?

I need to go outside and look at mine but I don't think so. It should look clean like this.http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yPn45KkKQ-k/Sy11p_Ea79I/AAAAAAAADu8/QicX6fL2Jsk/s1600-h/DSC_0258+resized.jpgWhere is the crack?
Wow, that's funky because mine has the split and I saw it on one of their videos

I just looked it up. The older fire boxes do not have cracks in them. The newer one will have the cracks. (last year or two depending on inventory)

Nope

Nope
I suggest you bring an ax and kill your BGE dealer.

Nope
I suggest you bring an ax and kill your BGE dealer.
I'm waking up early and heading over there. How long did it take you to put yours together the other day. If I can start cooking by 10, I may be able to pull it off

So despite my troubles not getting everything yesterday, I had my first smoke today. Just to set this up a bit, my wife bought me the egg for fathers day because I have always enjoyed BBQ but have never been able to successfully do it. I tried a few times using different methods but came up short every time.

So, today was my nieces birthday party and my wife told my SIL that I would smoke some ribs for the party. Went to BJs and picked up some Spare Ribs to see if I can succeed with the egg or flop again.

I prepared the ribs with some 3 little pigs rub last night and sealed it up in a plastic bag. Got the egg to 225 and threw in some hickory and apple wood. Went with the 3-2-1 method since I enjoy ribs falling off the bone. Im not judging any contests and no one who was eating was anyway so it didnt matter much.

I was very happy with what I was able to do for my first successful effort. I thought the egg worked well but it wasnt as easy to hold the temperature as they make it seem. It wasnt exactly set it and forget it, but thats part of BBQ so I cant complain much.

I loved the process and cant wait to use it again. I need to build my table ASAP. I can see myself getting a lot of use out of this thing. Only thing I am bummed about it forgetting to leave a slab with no sauce. I intended on it and simply overlooked it

Getting the egg going for the first time

Ribs with Rub

Smoking

Ribs after 3 hours at 225

Sauce time

First Cut

Done

I thought the egg worked well but it wasnt as easy to hold the temperature as they make it seem. It wasnt exactly set it and forget it, but thats part of BBQ so I cant complain much.
Good stuff!I was always under the impression that maintaining temp was always the initial challenge with the BGE. A friend of mine has had it for almost a year and just learned that it's better to restrict more with the top vent to allow circulation in the bottom. I love the experimentation of it.

So despite my troubles not getting everything yesterday, I had my first smoke today. Just to set this up a bit, my wife bought me the egg for fathers day because I have always enjoyed BBQ but have never been able to successfully do it. I tried a few times using different methods but came up short every time.

So, today was my nieces birthday party and my wife told my SIL that I would smoke some ribs for the party. Went to BJs and picked up some Spare Ribs to see if I can succeed with the egg or flop again.

I prepared the ribs with some 3 little pigs rub last night and sealed it up in a plastic bag. Got the egg to 225 and threw in some hickory and apple wood. Went with the 3-2-1 method since I enjoy ribs falling off the bone. Im not judging any contests and no one who was eating was anyway so it didnt matter much.

I was very happy with what I was able to do for my first successful effort. I thought the egg worked well but it wasnt as easy to hold the temperature as they make it seem. It wasnt exactly set it and forget it, but thats part of BBQ so I cant complain much.

I loved the process and cant wait to use it again. I need to build my table ASAP. I can see myself getting a lot of use out of this thing. Only thing I am bummed about it forgetting to leave a slab with no sauce. I intended on it and simply overlooked it

Getting the egg going for the first time

Ribs with Rub

Smoking

Ribs after 3 hours at 225

Sauce time

First Cut

Done
Great work and nice pics! Always fun to see white inside the egg :) Don't worry about "setting and forgetting" temp, if we gave you that impression we were wrong. Fire's need to be tended for longer cooks. It is not a lot work (an adjustment here or there) but does need to be done.

Everyone has a different style but over the years you will learn how your egg reacts to various openings in the bottom and top.

In picture number 3, it looks like the plate setter is naked. One trick I have learned is you can keep the plate setter much cleaner by adding a simple layer of foil to it to catch drippings Once it cools, just wrap foil and toss.

I thought about foil on the plate setter but wasn't sure if it would effect anything

ETA: how do people set the temps and leave them overnight if adjusting temps have to be manned.

I thought about foil on the plate setter but wasn't sure if it would effect anythingETA: how do people set the temps and leave them overnight if adjusting temps have to be manned.
You should be able to run a full load of lump overnight somewhere around 250 degrees. Might fluctuate +/- 20 degrees but that's acceptable for most overnighters, depending on what you're cooking.

I thought about foil on the plate setter but wasn't sure if it would effect anythingETA: how do people set the temps and leave them overnight if adjusting temps have to be manned.
1) Foil will not affect anything2) Anyone who says they are setting it for overnight cooking with out manning it and seeing no temperature change is likely mistaken or extremely lucky. You are going to get some temperature fluctuation over an 8 hour period. It is almost impossible not too. Most people I know who cook over night set up a simple wireless temperature gauge to inform them via alarm if the temperature changes in either direction more than they want.

I'd love to see some pics of the tables some of you are building. It's been my summer project for three years in a row - might finally get around to building one this summer. Mine sits outdoors, uncovered, year round here in Wisconsin and rarely goes more than a week or two without use. This time of year it is my constant companion.
I did 2/3 of mine last night. Super easy so far following directions from the BGE site. I used 4X4 for legs though and I have not gotten to the circle cut. Hope to be done by tomorrow. I need to get two measurements for the table saw at my MILs house

1) Foil will not affect anything2) Anyone who says they are setting it for overnight cooking with out manning it and seeing no temperature change is likely mistaken or extremely lucky. You are going to get some temperature fluctuation over an 8 hour period. It is almost impossible not too. Most people I know who cook over night set up a simple wireless temperature gauge to inform them via alarm if the temperature changes in either direction more than they want.
Agreed. That's why a lot of people use the blowers, digi q, etc.

I'm going to try my first overnight this weekend just to see how it goes. It's just going to be a pork shoulder and that can take some swings. I broke down and got an igrill to alarm me if this thing goes off the hook. I think a blower won't give me much value. I don't really anticipate having to take something dead level for 20+ hours very often where I'm not within 200 feet of it for 95% of the cook. I reserve the right to change my mind on this.

On another note I used the pizza technique described above (plate down, stone on feet) and got it up to 600 and the pizza was amazing. It's exactly what I was after. I took some pics of it mainly to show others how it was done. Getting some Tipo00 flour now to take it to the next level. :banned:

I've had overnight cooks that haven't moved more than 20 degrees or so. :shrug:

I'm going to try my first overnight this weekend just to see how it goes. It's just going to be a pork shoulder and that can take some swings. I broke down and got an igrill to alarm me if this thing goes off the hook. I think a blower won't give me much value. I don't really anticipate having to take something dead level for 20+ hours very often where I'm not within 200 feet of it for 95% of the cook. I reserve the right to change my mind on this.On another note I used the pizza technique described above (plate down, stone on feet) and got it up to 600 and the pizza was amazing. It's exactly what I was after. I took some pics of it mainly to show others how it was done. Getting some Tipo00 flour now to take it to the next level. :banned:
Where are the pics?

On another note I used the pizza technique described above (plate down, stone on feet) and got it up to 600 and the pizza was amazing. It's exactly what I was after. I took some pics of it mainly to show others how it was done. Getting some Tipo00 flour now to take it to the next level. :banned:
:thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm going to try my first overnight this weekend just to see how it goes. It's just going to be a pork shoulder and that can take some swings. I broke down and got an igrill to alarm me if this thing goes off the hook. I think a blower won't give me much value. I don't really anticipate having to take something dead level for 20+ hours very often where I'm not within 200 feet of it for 95% of the cook. I reserve the right to change my mind on this.On another note I used the pizza technique described above (plate down, stone on feet) and got it up to 600 and the pizza was amazing. It's exactly what I was after. I took some pics of it mainly to show others how it was done. Getting some Tipo00 flour now to take it to the next level. :banned:
Where are the pics?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47779362@N06/

Where are the pics?
So you have a plate setter and a pizza stone if I am seeing that correctWhat temp did you cook at and for how long. I may need to try that one night. Might be worth making the trip back to the BGE supplier for that pizza stone.

My Saturday Pizza

Used the end of a bag of lump, which has tons of small pieces, and is not great for high heat. Didn't remember this until after I lit it (you learn as you go.) Compensated by not blocking the heat, and using the adjustable rig to get the stone high up in the dome. Despite a high of only 500 degrees, it came out perfect. I LOVE the adjustable rig - easily the best accessory.

Slow cooked some ribs yesterday - 300 degrees for about 4 hours (held the temp nice w/o much fuss - definitely getting better at this). They came out perfect. No pics, though - was too hungry :)

Where are the pics?
So you have a plate setter and a pizza stone if I am seeing that correct
I talked about this technique earlier in the threadhttp://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=298081&view=findpost&p=14388835http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=298081&view=findpost&p=14388865I do not mention temp or cook time because it is extremely dependent on your dough. This is something you just need to experiment with and not get frustrated if it does not come out perfect the first time.

'AcerFC said:
'Sandeman said:
Feet don't come on an XL. Can't remember what size you got Acer.
I got the L. I called them and they called BGE. BGE said the legs no longer come with it according to the message they left.
I was just reading this online. The company is phasing them out. There is rumor that they may even phase out the green cap. Did you get a green cap?

'AcerFC said:
'Sandeman said:
Feet don't come on an XL. Can't remember what size you got Acer.
I got the L. I called them and they called BGE. BGE said the legs no longer come with it according to the message they left.
I was just reading this online. The company is phasing them out. There is rumor that they may even phase out the green cap. Did you get a green cap?
That would be a mistake. The green cap is cool.

What is a green cap? I'm going to say since I don't know, I didn't get it.

****unless it's the cap to put the fire out when you are not using the daisy wheel. I do have that

What is a green cap? I'm going to say since I don't know, I didn't get it. ****unless it's the cap to put the fire out when you are not using the daisy wheel. I do have that
yeah, i think the officious name is the rain cover. Ceramic little hat thing.

'AcerFC said:
I'd love to see some pics of the tables some of you are building. It's been my summer project for three years in a row - might finally get around to building one this summer. Mine sits outdoors, uncovered, year round here in Wisconsin and rarely goes more than a week or two without use. This time of year it is my constant companion.
I did 2/3 of mine last night. Super easy so far following directions from the BGE site. I used 4X4 for legs though and I have not gotten to the circle cut. Hope to be done by tomorrow. I need to get two measurements for the table saw at my MILs house
Table is constructed. No table saw needed. Just need to cut the circle and stain it and then the egg goes into its new home

Users who are viewing this thread