What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (6 Viewers)

Still can't get Swiftkey to work for me on messages/mail app. anyone else have it work every time?
Nope, was way too buggy for me.
using the stock keyboard? swipe? anythign cool i don't know about?
Went back to stock. Swiping to type was fun and all, but I haven't cared enough to go try and find the perfect solution.

Now that I'm on the 6+, my typos have gone way down. The keys are spaced perfectly.

Still can't get Swiftkey to work for me on messages/mail app. anyone else have it work every time?
Nope, was way too buggy for me.
Yep I went back to stock too. It was novel but after forcing myself to use it for a couple days, I got the hang of it but I prefer the stock keyboard. Doesn't hurt that I can type as fast as a 12yo girl on the stock keyboard, so there's not much benefit for me.

I'm using the Spigen wallet case for my 6.

Fits at least 5 cards and cash and looks nice. Big fan.

I think it's 15 bucks on Amazon.

Just got Otterbox Defender case. Not so bad. A little bulky as always, but built well.
The guy who sold me my case today had his in the Defender. A nice case, but it felt really heavy to me.
Yup, but lighter than my 5 case IMO. I might be wrong on actual weight. Just temporary case until Lifeproof Nuud comes out and will have the Defender as a backup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have tips for either of these?
- Adjust the time allowed to enter passcode if you're using Touch ID to anything longer than Immediately

- Monitor data usage by app (I found for battery usage, but not data)

Does anyone have tips for either of these?

- Adjust the time allowed to enter passcode if you're using Touch ID to anything longer than Immediately
What means this?

• Adjust the number of times entering code before locking? Doable

• Adjust how long before the screen locks and requires passcode? Doable.

Not sure exactly what you're asking there though...

- Adjust the time allowed to enter passcode if you're using Touch ID to anything longer than ImmediatelyWhat means this?

I am trying to avoid entering code/ID after I have put the phone down for just a minute or two. ( I do know how to set time to lock, but prefer to keep that short for battery life). Apple told me I could do this by changing time until the code has to be entered. Also see here. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4113#settings

"Require Passcode: Set how long after sleep a passcode is required. By default this is set to immediate, but you can set this to longer times."

However, I have no option to change it from Immediately. Seems to be a security feature of Touch ID, but hoping for a workaround.

- Adjust the time allowed to enter passcode if you're using Touch ID to anything longer than ImmediatelyWhat means this?

I am trying to avoid entering code/ID after I have put the phone down for just a minute or two. ( I do know how to set time to lock, but prefer to keep that short for battery life). Apple told me I could do this by changing time until the code has to be entered. Also see here. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4113#settings

"Require Passcode: Set how long after sleep a passcode is required. By default this is set to immediate, but you can set this to longer times."

However, I have no option to change it from Immediately. Seems to be a security feature of Touch ID, but hoping for a workaround.
SETTINGS > GENERAL > AUTO-LOCK

Options:

1/2/3/4/5 minutes

Never

EDIT: Nevermind I see what you're doing... you want the phone to "Sleep" but not require passcode. With touchID I fail to see how this is a big deal? I just leave my finger on the home button for a split second after pressing it to "wake" the phone and it opens up almost immediately. It doesn't have to be a two-step process (click, then place finger over to scan for touchID)

Also, I"m assuming it's common knowledge, but you can program more than one finger into the phone (Settings > Touch ID & Passcode > Add a Fingerprint). I've got both thumbs and both index fingers in there so it's convenient however I pick up the phone.

Thx, I do plan to program a second print. I guess I will just have to work on my technique! Also saw some complaints that if you have an app open when the phone goes to sleep, this forces you to unnecessarily go back to Home vs. directly to app. I am trying to figure out if I turn off TouchID, if it will retain the prints when re-enabled or if you have to start over.

Thx, I do plan to program a second print. I guess I will just have to work on my technique! Also saw some complaints that if you have an app open when the phone goes to sleep, this forces you to unnecessarily go back to Home vs. directly to app. I am trying to figure out if I turn off TouchID, if it will retain the prints when re-enabled or if you have to start over.
1) When I use TouchID it brings me right back to where I was (in app).

2) It takes about 30 seconds to store a print... it's not like we're talking about a huge investment in time if you have to re-learn a print (not sure if you do or not).

Do you happen to have work email on your phone?

iPhone 6 vs water

Holds up for bout 50 seconds underwater before frying. Obviously, there is likely damage being done before that point, so this shouldn't be construed as a "Sweet, I can shoot underwater for 30 seconds safely!" endorsement.

What this DOES seem to indicate (in conjunction with other tests I've seen), that the iPhone 6 seems quite capable of surviving the occasional quick accidental dunk into toilet/drink/pool. :thumbup:

iPhone 6 vs water

Holds up for bout 50 seconds underwater before frying. Obviously, there is likely damage being done before that point, so this shouldn't be construed as a "Sweet, I can shoot underwater for 30 seconds safely!" endorsement.

What this DOES seem to indicate (in conjunction with other tests I've seen), that the iPhone 6 seems quite capable of surviving the occasional quick accidental dunk into toilet/drink/pool. :thumbup:
does it still charge while under water?

Don't want to wade through 215 pages...

It's time to upgrade both my wife's and my phone. We have Droids right now but she's been asking whether we should move to iPhones. She loves her iPad, but that's the only apple device we've owned.

Key criteria for us are to get the best possible camera, storage isn't that important as we download the photos and videos to our computer often; I put music on the phone to listen to while cycling, she rarely listens to music on hers. I'd like good speakers for use at home. Water proof / resistance is a must - sweat and I put my phone on top of the shower to listen to it (although I can use my current phone for that in the future).

Is the 6+ too big?

Is the 6 worth much more than the 5s?

Is an iPhone that much better than a Galaxy / Droid platforms?

It's time to upgrade both my wife's and my phone. We have Droids right now but she's been asking whether we should move to iPhones. She loves her iPad, but that's the only apple device we've owned.

Key criteria for us are to get the best possible camera, storage isn't that important as we download the photos and videos to our computer often; I put music on the phone to listen to while cycling, she rarely listens to music on hers. I'd like good speakers for use at home. Water proof / resistance is a must - sweat and I put my phone on top of the shower to listen to it (although I can use my current phone for that in the future).

Is the 6+ too big?

CAMERA: Pretty big improvement with the new 6/6+ over the 5s. I'm a fan.

SPEAKERS: Exterior speaker on iPhones are louder than most, but still would recommend an external speaker or playing via airplay for at home

WATER RESISTANCE: Galaxy S4 (I think?) has a sport model that's most waterproof. However most phones now are pretty water resistant (splashes, a quick dunk). Posted link on this page to the iPhone 6 dying after 53 seconds under water. Lots of vids of it going under for 5-10 seconds without any ill effects. That said, DIRECT (not a light splash or mist) water exposure will void most warranties. Sweating, or in shower out of direct spray shouldn't be an issue with any phone though.

TOO BIG: HIghly subjective. REALLY should visit a store and handle both phones. For my purposes, the 6 is the perfect size as I use my phone on the move more, and value one handed use. Others prefer the phone to function more as a mini tablet and value the increased screen real estate over a little more portability.

6 WORTH IT OVER 5S? I think so. Better/bigger screens, better battery, better camera, faster processor (snappier), mobile payments, improved health sensors...

MUCH BETTER THAN ANDROID: Again, a very personal decision. Both Operating systems are very solid these days. Some tout Android's customizability as a strength over iOS. Others tout the fluidity and security of iOS over Android. I'd use flagship phones on both platforms and go with what works best for you. Be cautious in the stores as they're usually populated by phone dorks with strong opinions one way or the other.

Is the 6+ too big?

Yes, Way to big and reachability is a joke

Yes, I love the 6 it seems to be close to the perfect size

No.

Still reverting my Exchange default to a 8 year old email address that I used to have tied to my exchange server randomly and without reason.

Have to manually change it back.

So annoying.

I was sitting at a barstool the other night when the slipperiness reared its ugly head. When I first fumbled it I tried to snatch it out of the air but instead I ended up bobbling it higher. It landed flat on its face on the floor from a good 6 feet and made a loud smack. A table of diners that it landed beside all looked to see what it was. I just looked at it there and laughed. Didn't even want to pick the thing up because I knew at the very least the glass was broken. But nope, the thing is totally fine, not even a scratch. And I don't have insurance, that woulda sucked. Pretty durable these things, IMO.

fantasycurse42 said:
Really struggling on the decision between 6 and 6 plus...

Any 6 plus people return it due to size?
I posted earlier in the thread that we bought two x 6 Plus. After using it for two days, I exchanged it for a regular 6. Wife kept the 6 Plus.

After about a week of using it, she traded in hers also.

We both REALLY REALLY loved the Plus and wanted to keep at least one. It's just too big (for us) to "actively" use it.

I've been using the regular 6 now for about a week and a half...wife is on day 3...no regrets for either of us.

I was sitting at a barstool the other night when the slipperiness reared it's ugly head. When I first fumbled it I tried to snatch it out of the air but instead I ended up bobbling it higher. It landed flat on its face on the floor from a good 6 feet and made a loud smack. A table of diners that it landed beside all looked to see what it was. I just looked at it there and laughed. Didn't even want to pick the thing up because I knew at the very least the glass was broken. But nope, the thing is totally fine, not even a scratch. And I don't have insurance, that woulda sucked. Pretty durable these things, IMO.
That's comforting!

Yah the 6 has done very well on drop tests, but a glass first landing on a hard surface is tough for any phone to survive.

I was sitting at a barstool the other night when the slipperiness reared it's ugly head. When I first fumbled it I tried to snatch it out of the air but instead I ended up bobbling it higher. It landed flat on its face on the floor from a good 6 feet and made a loud smack. A table of diners that it landed beside all looked to see what it was. I just looked at it there and laughed. Didn't even want to pick the thing up because I knew at the very least the glass was broken. But nope, the thing is totally fine, not even a scratch. And I don't have insurance, that woulda sucked. Pretty durable these things, IMO.
That's comforting!

Yah the 6 has done very well on drop tests, but a glass first landing on a hard surface is tough for any phone to survive.
Just tried this and the screen broke. SLBD - you owe me a phone!~

I finally checked out the phones in person at Costco (Verizon only) and I think I will be going with the 6 plus. The 6 seemed like a great size, but the 6 plus wasn't as big as I thought it was. I don't have LeBron hands, but I think my hands are decent size so while I could tell I wouldn't have 100% reach-ability, it absolutely didn't feel too big. I am not like icon in that I don't use my phone on the move a lot (work from home, use bluetooth in the car and use a headset almost all the time), so the bigger screen for non-call use will be awesome. Going to pull the trigger very soon.

does everyone keep their phone charging (assuming there is easy access to a charger, and it doesn't hinder you in any way)? I guess just seeing if this would hurt the phones at all?

I was going to order the 6 plus online through Apple and it is telling me about a $40 one time upgrade fee...

Any AT&T users come across this?

does everyone keep their phone charging (assuming there is easy access to a charger, and it doesn't hinder you in any way)? I guess just seeing if this would hurt the phones at all?
Don't do this.

Keeping your battery at a higher state of charge shortens the life of your cell.

Got my 6 yesterday. Transferring everything to it from iTunes took maybe 15 minutes. Activating it was interesting, though. Since my number was still working on my old iphone5, I had to turn that off. The 6 wasn't yet activated to make calls, so I had to call Verizon from a 3rd phone (my wife's) in order to activate it. That brought over all my voicemails and voicemail message. Really very easy, unless I'm forgetting something. I'll give it another 2-3 days to make sure, then I'll wipe my iphone5 and mail it back for my $200 verizon credit. So far so good.

Looking for lightning charger cables. Does anyone have any recommendations for higher quality cables? These seem to be falling apart all the time.

On a side note, do you think I'd be able to get something back from Apple on some that have failed within 45 days?

Thanks!

Looking for lightning charger cables. Does anyone have any recommendations for higher quality cables? These seem to be falling apart all the time.

On a side note, do you think I'd be able to get something back from Apple on some that have failed within 45 days?

Thanks!
the real cheap ones off of monoprice died for me fast. The best 3rd party one I got was from office depot

I was going to order the 6 plus online through Apple and it is telling me about a $40 one time upgrade fee...

Any AT&T users come across this?
I upgraded at the AT&T store. They tried to charge me $40 and I told them thanks but no thanks. They waived the $40 fee.

The newer batteries are smarter in that they allow the cells to relax at full charge effectively. This certainly will help your aging. There are other charger improvements. This doesn't remove the fact that cell impedance at those levels if held there will cause a long term health issue.

Most electric car batteries are so expensive so they only allow them to use what you would see as the 20-80% range, and effectively remove 40% of the capacity just to make them last longer.

The best place to leave your battery is at in the 50% (+/- 20) range. If you can get in the habit of leaving your phone at half charge at night and charging to full when you get to work you will get more out of your cell life. This is often difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread