What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (5 Viewers)

I originally bought the Tech21 anti-glare impact shield when I got my 6+. But the phone is so slippery. Tonight I paired it with a Tech21 Impactology Classic Frame. Feels great, looks good (although I wish the orange piping was changeable), is minimalistic and I feel confident using it one-handed. Highly recommend.

The Classic Check and Classic Shell are supposed to be even a bit better but they didn't have one locally.

Have had my 128GB 6 Plus for about a week now and absolutely love it. Went from a 4S that was one it's last legs, so everything is much better.

The screen size is great, fits in my pocket and has me actually even using my iPad less. Touch ID works great for me.

Wife's been clammoring for a new 6 and yesterday she dropped her 5 and the screen seperated from the body and the home(?) button disappeared. I'm fairly sure this can be repaired, but for the money I'm thinking I might as well go ahead and spend the extra $$ and bite the bullet for a new 6 since her contract is up. Any iPhoners in here know where these are going for cheaper than the usual suspects (BB, Verizon, Apple Store, etc)?

Have had my 128GB 6 Plus for about a week now and absolutely love it. Went from a 4S that was one it's last legs, so everything is much better.

The screen size is great, fits in my pocket and has me actually even using my iPad less. Touch ID works great for me.
I've got the same and I got to take it on my first business trips the past two weeks and love it even more. It is like a mini mini iPad and I'd probably never go smaller again.

Can an end user set up a new Apple ID without using a credit card on the 6?

A buddy was telling me he needed a credit card. I was confident there was an option to do so without using a CC on versions prior to the 6, can anyone confirm that it can still be set up that way with the 6?

I swear to God this phone is indestructible.
Jinx.
:lol:

Seriously though.. it's tough.

Mine had been dropped from hip height to tile or brick a handful of times. All corners and sides were dented/goughed pretty good but the screen never busted. I had been taking it into the shower as well. Not under direct spray (I have a walk-in) but I put it on a shelf and control music on my bose soundlink mini with it in the morning.

The speaker stopped working on it well in loud environment (ie jeep) so I took it into the apple store. I noticed the lower right face to right of touch ID) was "popping" in an out a minute amount when I pressed on it. Anyways, they warrantied mine for speaker issue and got a brand new un-dinged phone. The girl at the counter was joking around about how beat to hell my phone was already.. gesturing at the edges saying "sometimes we'll just replace the speaker, but you look like you'd like a new phone" :lol:

Gotta love the service with these guys.

But yeah... the Iphone 6 is a sturdy little *******.

Fingerprint recognition on this thing is a pos.
Actually, it's a pretty damn good print scanner.2) add more scans of the main finger you use. You get 5 scans... I have my right thumb (main finger I use to unlock) scanned 3x.. Then 1x scan of right index and left thumb. Dramatic increase in speed and accuracy with multiple scans of a finger.

Great advice. Scanning same finger a few times makes it work flawlessly.
:thumbup:

Bought the Plus. Best device I have ever owned.
:o

This is high praise for the device coming from you :thumbup:
After many, many years of dealing with ROMs, fragmentation, tweaking for more things such as battery life, while ultimately searching for minimization throughout, this device has what I want right out of the box. Battery life on the Plus is great so far, although I haven't gakked it all up with apps yet, and may not want to since iOS natively works well within it's own ecosystem of baked in applications. My only nitpick it getting rid of ads in apps such as CBS Sports. But I can live with that, and don't want to jailbreak the device, and the ads are within the app itself, not iOS or Android.

The device isn't "too big" as the claims are IMO. My old GS3 isn't that much smaller really. I have an Otterbox Commuter for a case - which makes it a bit larger but adds a lot more peace of mind - but the case on my previous device did the same, and I still had to use two hands for most things.

The "Home button" is taking a bit to get used to, but compared to the one on the old GS3, it's way more functional, and I ditched the home button on the GS3 years ago due to it being less functional than the onscreen keys, which I had to add to the build.prop in the ROM, or use PIE control.

Notifications - out of the box, fantastic. I had to use third party ones in Android, but bear in mind, it was an older device. Which leads to why I switched to iOS - I don't have need to choose between OEMs like Samsung who over-engineer their devices, Motorola, who have the sweet spot but makes a lesser device, or a Nexus, which changes manufacturers, ultimately making those devices less consistent. It's all about consistency, and where it's really important, in the updates all across the carriers.

iOS has the sweet spot IMO when it comes to development. There are a ton of apps on XDA that basically all do the same thing, and on Google Play, a lot of them are the same as well. Most of them being task managers lol. I think devs actually make money with iOS apps more than Android, and thus why I find quality apps. Field apps are what I need as well, and I wish Apple would allow a few apps to be ported to the iPhone because of the Plus, so I wouldn't have to purchase an iPad. Now I have to decide on an iPad Air or Mini now lol.

Again, the battery life is just been the real game changer here, and the simplicity of me not having to do much with iOS could be a huge reason, along with the Plus' larger battery. I have the 64 gig version, because I had to wait for them to ship a 128, but I hardly use that much on board storage anyway, so not much problem there. My SD card on my old device always borked out, and with all of the flashing and resetting I did on Android, I rarely kept much data on it anyway. I use the cloud a lot, and may not need to unless to pull a document. I still have my old Android for a media device, and will re-purpose it for other uses as well.

Overall, very pleased with the device, and I'm very very picky when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
BATTERY LIFE IMPROVEMENT NOTICE!!

So I always smoked my 6 phone battery by noon and had attributed it to being a "power user" who rarely puts the phone down.

2 days ago my speaker was acting up. I went to swap in my phone for a new one with apple and my iCloud backup wasn't current. SO I went thru the hassle of building the new phone up from scratch... Uploading pics from iTunes, calendar/contacts from iCloud, then manually downloaded all apps again.

Possibly doubled my battery life! Now the phone lasts till 4-5 and with the battery case (that was usually toast by noon) is still going at 7:30.

Ssooooo if you've been restoring new phones from backups and are worried about your battery life, it may be carrying over some crap. Try a fresh build.

BATTERY LIFE IMPROVEMENT NOTICE!!

So I always smoked my 6 phone battery by noon and had attributed it to being a "power user" who rarely puts the phone down.

2 days ago my speaker was acting up. I went to swap in my phone for a new one with apple and my iCloud backup wasn't current. SO I went thru the hassle of building the new phone up from scratch... Uploading pics from iTunes, calendar/contacts from iCloud, then manually downloaded all apps again.

Possibly doubled my battery life! Now the phone lasts till 4-5 and with the battery case (that was usually toast by noon) is still going at 7:30.

Ssooooo if you've been restoring new phones from backups and are worried about your battery life, it may be carrying over some crap. Try a fresh build.
If you're smoking a phone battery in hours, then you really should buy a iPad mini.

Can an end user set up a new Apple ID without using a credit card on the 6?

A buddy was telling me he needed a credit card. I was confident there was an option to do so without using a CC on versions prior to the 6, can anyone confirm that it can still be set up that way with the 6?
You can use an iTunes gift card, I believe, and it will let that count as your required "form of payment"

Does anybody know of an easy way to transfer your photos and videos in some type of organized fashion from an iPhone to a PC or external hd? When you plug in your iPhone the photos are so random in folders it is impossible to organize them.

Still loving my 6 Plus, but I spent some time with my old 4S. Stripped it down, upgraded it and just put a few music apps. Basically want it to be an iPod Touch for my office. I was shocked and surprised how small it felt and how crowded everything looked on the screen. It wasn't that long ago that it was my lifeline and now feels inadequate compared to the 6 Plus. Could never go smaller again.

Does anybody know of an easy way to transfer your photos and videos in some type of organized fashion from an iPhone to a PC or external hd? When you plug in your iPhone the photos are so random in folders it is impossible to organize them.
I generally use the Windows auto download feature that pops up after you plug in to your pc USB. Then I can view them chronologically after download. I don't tag them. Then drag and drop to another drive or two for a backup. I also backup my full phone periodically for extra protection against loss of photos and videos, not to mention syncing apps, etc.

I use a DropBox Pro Account and the iOS app that auto syncs every photo i take to the cloud (and then to my macbook pro and MacPro workstation by default. I then periodically go through those and file accordingly. Only downside is file names are dates/times.... have to manually title the ones you want to. That said, sorting into folders by event/year helps

My son still can't figure out how to get his icloud 5 stuff into his new iPhone 6. We've tried everything that we can find yet when he logs into the cloud he sees both backups now and no option to merge. :shrug:

anyone having freeze issues with latest ios update?

got a iphone 6 yesterday , transferred in iTunes old stuff from iphone 5 over and the 6 is freezing up

Not freezing but my phone lost all of its music last night while I was doing some stuff with the phone. Lost all art work as well. Some can't get back unless I upload it myself. Argh!

OK, I got a new phone for my new job (iphone 5s) with a new number. I have an existing iphone4 (yeah I know). I'd like to keep my number. Doing some research, I could port my old number to google voice and then set this to forward to my new number. Will this work? Will it be seamless? Will texts and facetime work correctly?

OK, I got a new phone for my new job (iphone 5s) with a new number. I have an existing iphone4 (yeah I know). I'd like to keep my number. Doing some research, I could port my old number to google voice and then set this to forward to my new number. Will this work? Will it be seamless? Will texts and facetime work correctly?
Congrats on the new job!! That certainly didn't take long. :thumbup:

You can move the number to google voice and forward to the new number. No idea if texts and facetime will work, I doubt they will.

You can move the number to google voice and forward to the new number. No idea if texts and facetime will work, I doubt they will.
Thanks! I updated the thread I had started previously with the details. Started just after the new year. Really working out well so far besides the commute.

If texts don't work to the new number, what is the point? I might as well switch to the new number and tell everyone my new contact info. I didn't want to have to do that again.

Thanks! I updated the thread I had started previously with the details. Started just after the new year. Really working out well so far besides the commute.

If texts don't work to the new number, what is the point? I might as well switch to the new number and tell everyone my new contact info. I didn't want to have to do that again.
Why can't you just switch the old number to the new line? Lots of people do that when they switch providers. Can't you do that here by talking to your new provider?

Why can't you just switch the old number to the new line? Lots of people do that when they switch providers. Can't you do that here by talking to your new provider?
:goodposting: Why is this being overcomplicated?

Good question. They just gave me a new phone with a new number. I guess I could just ask them if I could port my new number over. Some one else manages all the cell phones so they would have to do it. Could I lose my number if I leave this job later?

I guess I was thinking of keeping my work cell number and personal number separate, but if they both go to the same phone, what's the difference I guess.

Good question. They just gave me a new phone with a new number. I guess I could just ask them if I could port my new number over. Some one else manages all the cell phones so they would have to do it. Could I lose my number if I leave this job later?

I guess I was thinking of keeping my work cell number and personal number separate, but if they both go to the same phone, what's the difference I guess.
Ah, I have a work phone as well, but it is my phone/my plan and I just get reimbursed. If you want to keep the number, you probably have to do something different because if you aren't working there I don't see them helping you port the number again.

That said, I think I would just send out my new number to my contacts and leave it at that, unless you think you'll leave soon.

Ahhhh work line. sorry I misunderstood. Yeah it's tough to get companies to agree to port over numbers. I lost mine when I changed jobs a few years back. Definitely a hassle.

Man I love the battery on the 6+. I forgot my charger when I went to go visit my brother for the weekend and never had to worry about charging the phone. My 5 would have never made it.

Ah, I have a work phone as well, but it is my phone/my plan and I just get reimbursed. If you want to keep the number, you probably have to do something different because if you aren't working there I don't see them helping you port the number again.

That said, I think I would just send out my new number to my contacts and leave it at that, unless you think you'll leave soon.
Ahhhh work line. sorry I misunderstood. Yeah it's tough to get companies to agree to port over numbers. I lost mine when I changed jobs a few years back. Definitely a hassle.
Yeah, thanks. Still haven't decided what I'm going to do. I'm being lazy and putting it off.

I think I know the answer, but I'm going to try before heading to the Apple Store.....

Bought a used iphone5, bought a new sim card, turn the phone on, all that shows is the itunes logo. Tried to do a restore on itunes, 3-4 times, and on different computers. It gets all the way to the end and I get an error message "Iphone cannot be restored, error -1.

I tired the holding the power and home buttons down etc....... No go.

Is this a "trip to the Apple Store" thing?

Mr.Pack said:
I think I know the answer, but I'm going to try before heading to the Apple Store.....

Bought a used iphone5, bought a new sim card, turn the phone on, all that shows is the itunes logo. Tried to do a restore on itunes, 3-4 times, and on different computers. It gets all the way to the end and I get an error message "Iphone cannot be restored, error -1.

Is it unlocked?

Mr.Pack said:

Stolen

Mr.Pack said:

Where did you buy it? Sounds like the phone has been locked.

Think I'm taking the plunge in the next week or 2...my 5 is just dragging and even at 64G it's out of space.

Leaning toward the 6+

I do a lot of business on my phone, look at pdfs and other images, watch screen casts, etc.

Anyone have any regrets with the 6+?

Think I'm taking the plunge in the next week or 2...my 5 is just dragging and even at 64G it's out of space.

Leaning toward the 6+

I do a lot of business on my phone, look at pdfs and other images, watch screen casts, etc.

Get the 6+ you won't even notice the size after a couple of weeks except when you grab a 5 and realize how tiny they are.

Best iPhone since the 1st one IMO.

Leaning toward the 6+

Get the 6+ you won't even notice the size after a couple of weeks except when you grab a 5 and realize how tiny they are.

Best iPhone since the 1st one IMO.
Agreed. I love mine and I'm so used to it now. I don't have small hands, so it has never felt too big, but when I use my wife's 6 it does feel a little small. I think if you go with the 6, you'll be fine, but I wouldn't go back.

Also, one thing I really like now because I like my case (I got one of those clear ones with a red/black bumper around the edge) is the wallet sticker like this. It is really stretchy, so i can fit all my $$ plus my license and a credit card (fits two more if I need them). If it ever gets stretched out, I'll get a new one. The 6+ and a wallet can be a lot, this holds stuff pretty tight, so I just need one and it really doesn't make it feel bigger.

Mr.Pack said:

Where did you buy it? Sounds like the phone has been locked.
Mr.Pack got it from me. First time I've sold an iPhone, so I wiped it before sending it to him and thought a new SIM card would work.

What do I need to do to unlock it? Can I do something remotely?

If anyone is looking for a battery case, I just got this one for $16.99. It charges the phone one full time and the best thing about it is it uses the Lightning cord to charge, not some other cord you have to keep up with. Unbelievable deal, I've loved it.

SLODA® iPhone 6 Battery Case, External Protective iPhone 6 Battery ... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O8CRU2C/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_.Pi8ub1FGF0AZ
That's nice. The battery case I had for my old one was a separate cord, which sucked because in my home office I have a table behind my desk where I have 3 plugged in chargers (I got one of those Belkin surge protectors with 2 USB slots). It is really nice for all the phones/iPads in the house, but that battery case was "special" and I had to plug it in by itself. I traveled a lot, so I couldn't leave it in one spot.

That said, the 6+ battery life is awesome. I can easily get 2 days even with decent usage. I only have to charge same day when my kids abuse it for games. No way I would put a bulky battery case on it, it would be way too big.

Users who are viewing this thread