Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners

44 minutes ago, Stoneys said:

Not sure if there is a specific prophecy that points to Jon Snow, but i think it is inferred IF, his parent's identities are revealed to be Rhaegar and Lyanna.  It was believed that Rhaegar was the Prince that was Promised.

Also, regarding Jon's parents, if we (readers and watchers) end up finding out that R+L=J through Bran, how does Jon find out or even the rest of Westeros?

Assuming the books bring Jon back differently I would say through Bran as he seems to have communicated with Jon from a distance before, no?

43 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Assuming the books bring Jon back differently I would say through Bran as he seems to have communicated with Jon from a distance before, no?

Possibly through Bran, but I don't know if he can communicate like that.  I think the closest communication that they had was when Summer helped Jon against the Wildlings when Bran, Hodor, Meera and Jojen were holed up in the one lake tower before they crossed the wall.

Something else i thought of, maybe it is revealed to the readers/watchers through Bran, but Sam finds information in the archives at the Citadel.  I am going to guess that there was a Maester at the Tower of Joy that helped Lyanna give birth and sent records to the Citadel?  Sam then sends out a Raven to Castle Black and Jon and maybe others?

2 hours ago, Stoneys said:

Not sure if there is a specific prophecy that points to Jon Snow, but i think it is inferred IF, his parent's identities are revealed to be Rhaegar and Lyanna.  It was believed that Rhaegar was the Prince that was Promised.

Also, regarding Jon's parents, if we (readers and watchers) end up finding out that R+L=J through Bran, how does Jon find out or even the rest of Westeros?

Don't we learn in the books that Ned (or maybe it was someone else) thought the Weirwood was talking to him at one point?  Or the rustling of the leaves sounded like voices?

Again, I could be remembering wrong, but didn't we later see Bran witnessing that same seen ... can he communicate that way?

• Like 1

Just now, Mjolnirs said:

Don't we learn in the books that Ned (or maybe it was someone else) thought the Weirwood was talking to him at one point?  Or the rustling of the leaves sounded like voices?

Again, I could be remembering wrong, but didn't we later see Bran witnessing that same seen ... can he communicate that way?

Several times. And also through Ravens or crows. 

So I assume Ramsay will be sending a letter to Jon Snow and/or Sansa gets there and tells him what's happened. Then Snow breaks his oath and marches south, leaving the wall ripe for the white walkers to breech. 

14 minutes ago, Mjolnirs said:

Right, but the closest Weirwood tree to Castle Black was north of the wall, it is where Jon and Sam took their vows.  Also, Ned did pick up something from the weirwood, i think we saw it when he was cleaning his sword, and maybe also a flashback(in the books) from Bran?  However, wouldn't Jon need to figure out how to communicate back and understand Bran?  Ned just looked like he felt something was going on, but couldn't quite figure it out.

20 minutes ago, Stoneys said:

Right, but the closest Weirwood tree to Castle Black was north of the wall, it is where Jon and Sam took their vows.  Also, Ned did pick up something from the weirwood, i think we saw it when he was cleaning his sword, and maybe also a flashback(in the books) from Bran?  However, wouldn't Jon need to figure out how to communicate back and understand Bran?  Ned just looked like he felt something was going on, but couldn't quite figure it out.

Jon wargs in the books etc. If he wargs when stabbed perhaps bran communicated with him that way some how. 

I just hope this damn book comes out this year. If he had a goal of this last March, even though he blew the deadline, you have to think it's somewhat close. I'm worried he's going to make changes based on the show, but that would be a big mistake. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Several times. And also through Ravens or crows. 

So I assume Ramsay will be sending a letter to Jon Snow and/or Sansa gets there and tells him what's happened. Then Snow breaks his oath and marches south, leaving the wall ripe for the white walkers to breech. 

Would he be breaking his vows.  THe vow ends in death and Jon was dead.  His watch has technically ended...

7 minutes ago, Gatorman said:

Would he be breaking his vows.  THe vow ends in death and Jon was dead.  His watch has technically ended...

Yes, I think the Nights Watch is done, and his vow is now meaningless.  Not because he was killed and resurrected, but because the Nights Watch isn't needed anymore.  There is nothing to watch for.  

Wlidlings:  No need to watch out of them, they are now behind you.  

White Walkers:  They coming.  And it looks like ALL of them.  

So their only job now, is to let everyone know the ice zombies are coming, and please present yourself at the wall with any dragon glass you have lying around.  

18 minutes ago, massraider said:

Yes, I think the Nights Watch is done, and his vow is now meaningless.  Not because he was killed and resurrected, but because the Nights Watch isn't needed anymore.  There is nothing to watch for.  

Wlidlings:  No need to watch out of them, they are now behind you.  

White Walkers:  They coming.  And it looks like ALL of them.  

So their only job now, is to let everyone know the ice zombies are coming, and please present yourself at the wall with any dragon glass you have lying around.  

I can pretty much guarantee you there will be a conversation between Jon and Davos where Davos urges him to go to Winterfell to save Rickon (assuming Rickon is the gift) but Jon doesn't want to because of the vows for the Nights Watch and Davos will remind him that the vows are until death and he died. His vow is fulfilled.

Seems like one of the leaks of photos of Jon Snow were of him dressed in Stark gear battling at Winterfell - can't remember where I saw that, but good bet that Jon leaves the Nights Watch to conquer Winterfell at a minimum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stoneys said:

However, wouldn't Jon need to figure out how to communicate back and understand Bran?  Ned just looked like he felt something was going on, but couldn't quite figure it out.

Right, and I'm hoping Jon figures it out.  We've all read too many books and seen too many movies where the characters are overly obtuse and can't see the obvious, just to drag the story out.  There is enough story here that he should figure it out and move forward.

12 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Hide contents

Seems like one of the leaks of photos of Jon Snow were of him dressed in Stark gear battling at Winterfell - can't remember where I saw that, but good bet that Jon leaves the Nights Watch to conquer Winterfell at a minimum.

it was in a preseason promo clip. There's a gif out there showing it

• Like 1

On 5/4/2016 at 11:36 PM, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Read them again. 

Ive read the first 3 3 times (whenever he put a new book out) but that was over 10 years ago

ive stopped re-reading them. hard to remember all this ####

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stoneys said:

Given the conversation between Meera and the child of the forest this week, it sounds like Bran is going to physically travel south again to deal with the war. So maybe he delivers the message in person. Whether anyone would believe him is another question. The Oldtown records (and Tarly) would probably need to come into play if they exist.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

Given the conversation between Meera and the child of the forest this week, it sounds like Bran is going to physically travel south again to deal with the war. So maybe he delivers the message in person. Whether anyone would believe him is another question. The Oldtown records (and Tarly) would probably need to come into play if they exist.

OK, i need to rewatch last week's episode as i could not hear the full conversation between Leaf and Meera

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:04 PM, Spin said:

I think it was the "please" that finally worked.  It wasn't all the ritual mumbo jumbo she thought she had to use.  Didn't Thoros pretty much just say "I asked"

It was the "please" that caught my memory. I asked him what was so important for him here. "True Love", he replied.

• Like 2

I can't imagine that Hodor picking up a sword and getting told it wasn't for him was a coincidence.  I think he was a fighter, or will become one.

It would be cool if he was with Ned at the Tower, and we find out why he became simple.  If the Snow theories are right maybe Hodor knew all along?

14 minutes ago, The Duff Man said:

I can't imagine that Hodor picking up a sword and getting told it wasn't for him was a coincidence.  I think he was a fighter, or will become one.

It would be cool if he was with Ned at the Tower, and we find out why he became simple.  If the Snow theories are right maybe Hodor knew all along?

Mind blown

21 minutes ago, The Duff Man said:

Everyone died at the tower save for Ned and Howland...

My Hodor theory; Hodor is going to take the place of Howland Reed at the Harrenhal tourney.  Being a stable-boy and not fighter, he's going to be set upon by some squires and injured, causing his disability.  A pissed off Lyanna will then enter the lists as the mystery knight to get some payback.  

Edited by parrot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Manback said:

Everyone died at the tower save for Ned and Howland...

Notable(?) that the preview of the scene only shows Ned and 5 others, where there were 6 others in the book.

10 minutes ago, Harry Manback said:

I'm not going to get worked up if it's a 6 v 2 instead of a 7 v 3

I'd be bummed if Howland Reed isn't in it. Don't really care about the rest, except maybe Dayne - he kinda needs to be there, but it seems like that's a done deal already.

Howland is an interesting name, isn't it?

Edited by Gr00vus

Just now, Gr00vus said:

I'd be bummed if Howland Reed isn't in it. Don't really care about the rest, except maybe Dayne - he kinda needs to be there, but it seems like that's a done deal already.

I would be PISSED.

I assumed if they leave out someone of the 7 it won't be him...

8 minutes ago, Harry Manback said:

I would be PISSED.

I assumed if they leave out someone of the 7 it won't be him...

I think they mentioned his connection with Ned in the show, so I'd be surprised if they omitted him given they've already laid the groundwork for it. 

1 minute ago, thecatch said:

I think they mentioned his connection with Ned in the show, so I'd be surprised if they omitted him given they've already laid the groundwork for it. 

Exactly.

Plus, I like my tinfoil theory that he's actually the High Sparrow.

My wildass theory:

Hodor was also at the Tower of Joy.  Howland Reed warg'd into Wylis, aka Hodor, in order to save Ned Stark from Ser Arthur Dayne.  That process turned Wylis into a simpleton that could only say "Hodor" which is a combination of Howland and Dorne, the location of the Tower of Joy.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Why would a stable boy be at the Tower of Joy.

Maybe he was Ned's squire/servant/man at arms at the time?

Anyway, they have to have Reed in this thing - he's the only living witness to who Jon's parents really are.

1 minute ago, Gr00vus said:

Maybe he was Ned's squire/servant/man at arms at the time?

Anyway, they have to have Reed in this thing - he's the only living witness to who Jon's parents really are.

Maybe we already know who Jon's parents really are - Ned and some random whore.  Maybe the bloody bed was because Hodor (Horse Dork) got there first.