Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Update - Had to put my GB down.

My yellow Lab, Kobe, is 10 years old and I fear his health is failing. Took him to the vet 3 days ago and had his blood work done. Basically his kidneys aren't doing so well and he is slightly anemic. The vet said he isn't in danger yet, but after 3 days of antibiotics he hasn't improved. He will eat a little lunch meat or steak voluntary, but only a few bites. I have to force feed him otherwise. In addition to the antibiotics, he's on some other medicine and a high calorie paste.

He is the first dog I ever hand picked from a litter and I have raised him from the time he was 6 months old. The dogs have taken a backseat to the kids in recent years and I would love the opportunity to help him have a few more good years I worry he is in his last days and I don't want him to suffer for any longer then he has to. Reading stories on the web is always a bad idea and they will make you think the worst.

I was hoping some of you have stories of your dog regaining their health from a situation like this. Anybody? :o

Good luck.

Recently went through a situation with our 10 year old black lab - liver and kidney issues, complete with jaundice. There's a thread. We thought he was gone after a few days at the vet - he was on IV and some liver medicine/antibiotics for a few days. First day it helped some and then his numbers weren't moving. Took him off IV and got him home, jaundice was at least gone, but numbers were all still dangerously high and not getting any better. Vet was even pretty bleak at that point saying that "they wouldn't call it normal" but they'd seen dogs bounce back after going home. To me it came off like "I've seen players score 6 TD's in a football game before, so it's not impossible, but..." He still wouldn't eat for a few days after we got him home, he was getting less energy again, and it looked like he was taking a turn for the worse. Finally got him to eat, and he started improving from there. Liver was some better a week later but not fully recovered and he was looking better and had some more energy, kidneys didn't budge much still. Took almost a full month before he completely bounced back. He's been fine ever since and is eating everything he can get a hold of.

Same deal as well - dogs have taken a backseat to our kids, and we gave him Tylenol for some arthritis issues he was having about 2 weeks before the deal so we were beating ourselves up for that. Not entirely sure how much more time we'll have and he has special food now, but that's about the only side effect as far as we can tell right now. Weight all back, unfortunately in some senses because of the arthritis issues. I took them to the dog park yesterday and they loved it, so whatever time we get is good.

Hope everything works out for you.

Yea, Dr J, I remembered your thread, but didn't search for fear of bumping it or reading it had it not turned out so well.

Thanks for the input guys. :)

Force feeding him food and medicine is a chore, but I owe it to him considering how little attention I have been giving him these last few years. Sorta a wake up call. It's not as though he's had it rough, but I certainly could have spent more time with him.

Good news is he voluntarily ate a little rice and steak tonight! He seemed more eager then before. He only had a little, but that's probably best considering the last time he ate to much he ended up throwing it all up so that was actually a step back.

Yea, Dr J, I remembered your thread, but didn't search for fear of bumping it or reading it had it not turned out so well. Thanks for the input guys. :thumbup:Force feeding him food and medicine is a chore, but I owe it to him considering how little attention I have been giving him these last few years. Sorta a wake up call. It's not as though he's had it rough, but I certainly could have spent more time with him.Good news is he voluntarily ate a little rice and steak tonight! He seemed more eager then before. He only had a little, but that's probably best considering the last time he ate to much he ended up throwing it all up so that was actually a step back.

That's how ours started - in the first few days we were force feeding him some food. Finally, he decided to eat just a little bit on his own after a couple of days. Not much, we had to basically give him a few bites, let it settle with him for half an hour or so, and then give him some more repeatedly. That lasted a day or two, then he just started eating more and more. So that's definitely some very good news.

Had to put Kobe down this morning. Still a mess. Took him to the Vet last night because he wasn't improving. They took an X-ray and I knew it was bad when she said "I can show you the x-ray now." Ughh. She pointed to two spots and said he has intestinal cancer. Nothing could be done, and even if there was, not sure I would have put him through that.

9 years ago my would be wife and myself went to pick up a pizza. We arrived early so we stopped into the pet store and with no plans of getting a dog, we walked out with him. We always joked that he was a $400 pizza!

He was a great dog. Never hyper, which is pretty uncommon for a lab. When he grew into his massive paws he was a huge dog. He loved the beach and would swim until he collapsed, and then swim some more. I remember one time i threw the ball out in the ocean a little too far, and the tide took even further, yet there he was, chasing after it and bringing it home. He wouldn't hurt a fly. Even when the kids came. They would step on him, pull his ears, his tail, poke him in the eye, never one did he loose his temper. He even loved other dogs.

I asked if was OK to bring him home for one last night. I spend the night laying next to him holding him. This morning was one of the roughest experiences I have ever dealt with. I am not the emotional type, but this was different. I balled all morning, driving there, carrying him in, and even now the tears are filling my eyes.

When they put the first needle in and he fell asleep in my arms i wanted so badly to take him home for a few more hours. I still sorta wish I had. But that would have been selfish. He wasn't happy.

I miss my little buddy so Fing much. :coffee::D:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

RIP Kobe Bear, I love you.

Great looking dogs. Think about the life you gave him. No guarantees he would have been bought at that darn pet store. No guarantees that any other owner wouldn't have been horrible. You gave him a great life. He returned the favor. You done good. He knows you did him right. You changed his life. He blessed yours.

Thank you very much guys.

Just lost it with the wife. I'm Ok with being a big baby right now. Going to watch some videos of him and look at some pictures to try and get it all out.

I want my Kobe bear back.

I don't have any regrets. I know I gave him a good life and he was ahppy for 99% of his life.

going to pick up the kids now. I hope they handle it better then I am.

Thank you very much guys. Just lost it with the wife. I'm Ok with being a big baby right now. Going to watch some videos of him and look at some pictures to try and get it all out.I want my Kobe bear back. I don't have any regrets. I know I gave him a good life and he was ahppy for 99% of his life. going to pick up the kids now. I hope they handle it better then I am.

Damn tough break, guy. Kobe sounded like he was a 'good boy'. Letting him go so that he wouldn't suffer anymore is the best way to repay him.

Thank you very much guys. Just lost it with the wife. I'm Ok with being a big baby right now. Going to watch some videos of him and look at some pictures to try and get it all out.I want my Kobe bear back. I don't have any regrets. I know I gave him a good life and he was ahppy for 99% of his life. going to pick up the kids now. I hope they handle it better then I am.

Recently went through the same with a Chow that my wife had forever. Great dog, and it was really, really hard. But we made it harder on ourselves by waiting until we felt like we absolutely had to. Her last days on the earth were not great. She had a tumor in her mouth we had already cut out once, and of course it came back. By the end I was making each one of her meals out of eggs and such, and she could barely get anything past the tumor in her mouth. My only regret is that I didn't put my foot down and put her down much earlier. Saving your dog the agony of what would have been his last natural days is the best favor you can pay your animal. Just know you did right by him. Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss. Hang in there and just try to remember the good times. Try to take comfort in the fact that he led a great life because he was part of your family.

:) Moving on is tough, but he'll always be a part of your life.

Damn tough break, guy. Kobe sounded like he was a 'good boy'. Letting him go so that he wouldn't suffer anymore is the best way to repay him.
:) I'm having a good day right now, so I'm not gonna chime in with my had-to-make-that-decision stories; otherwise I'll be bawling like a 5 year old myself. Hang in there, man - remember what a cool friend you had.

Deepest sympathies. Had to put my first dog down several months ago. I held her while she went to sleep for the last time, and it is one of the saddest moments of my life. It makes me emotional just to think about it. I recommend that you take some time, but get another dog as soon as you can.

Sorry for you loss. I had to put down my rotty 3 years ago and we still miss him. But we'd rather always remember him and

feel sad once in awhile, than to never have had the good times we had with him.

Sounds like you gave him a great home and a happy life, and you made the right decision when you had to. You did exactly

what any friend would do for another.

Great looking dogs. Think about the life you gave him. No guarantees he would have been bought at that darn pet store. No guarantees that any other owner wouldn't have been horrible. You gave him a great life. He returned the favor. You done good. He knows you did him right. You changed his life. He blessed yours.
:unsure: I feel for you GB. I can't do any better than Waffles here. Sorry for your loss; it has me :rant: too. Dogs are good friends.

Read your story and had to run to the next room to hug my 9 year old Lab, Maltby. I swear Maltz and Kobe could be twins. My wife wanted to know what I was doing, so I told her to read this thread. She was crying almost immediately. I'm so sorry for your loss. Kobe is a beautiful dog. Gotta go hug Maltz again.

:lmao:

So sorry to hear man.

Thanks again Manback. :thumbup:

Thanks again to everybody else.

Things are much better now. Still miss my little buddy, but I don't just lose every time I think of him. On Saturday I was really missing him and went through all the pictures we have of him. It was pretty much torture, but I think it helped.

At first, it doesn't hit you. Then you lose it. Then the anger sits in. Then you're tired of being angry so you don't put yourself through it. I guess like most things, time will heal all.

The girls (2 & 4) haven't seemed to be affected at all so that's good news.

The only one Im worried about now is our other dog Raja. We have a deck in the back and when I let her out, she just sits there waiting for Kobe. This is nothing new, but prior to Kobe passing, he would come out a few seconds later. Now she just sits there and waits. I have only be able to get her to go by walking out there myself or if it's the morning and she hasn't went since the previous morning. She was the semi-hyper one. Always wagging her tail even if you just looked at her. Now she sorta just mopes around. I've also caught her laying in his old spots. (OK, that last line hurt a little to type)

So sorry to hear man.

Thanks again Manback. :thumbup:

Things are much better now. Still miss my little buddy, but I don't just lose every time I think of him. On Saturday I was really missing him and went through all the pictures we have of him. It was pretty much torture, but I think it helped.

At first, it doesn't hit you. Then you lose it. Then the anger sits in. Then you're tired of being angry so you don't put yourself through it. I guess like most things, time will heal all.

The only one Im worried about now is our other dog Raja. We have a deck in the back and when I let her out, she just sits there waiting for Kobe. This is nothing new, but prior to Kobe passing, he would come out a few seconds later. Now she just sits there and waits. I have only be able to get her to go by walking out there myself or if it's the morning and she hasn't went since the previous morning. She was the semi-hyper one. Always wagging her tail even if you just looked at her. Now she sorta just mopes around. I've also caught her laying in his old spots. (OK, that last line hurt a little to type)

Maybe you could get a Kobe, Jr.?

So sorry to hear man.

Thanks again Manback. :unsure:

I don't think so. First thought are that I wouldn't want to bring in a puppy around Raja, but maybe it would actually help her.

I don't know, I think it's too soon. I don't really want to deal with a puppy at the moment. With a 2 & 4 y/o old it would be like having 3 babies in the house. I have also thought about not getting any more dogs, but you can't not enjoy having dogs for the fear of losing them. You would lead a pretty empty life if thats how you went about it.

So sorry to hear man.

I don't think so. First thought are that I wouldn't want to bring in a puppy around Raja, but maybe it would actually help her.

I don't know, I think it's too soon. I don't really want to deal with a puppy at the moment. With a 2 & 4 y/o old it would be like having 3 babies in the house. I have also thought about not getting any more dogs, but you can't not enjoy having dogs for the fear of losing them. You would lead a pretty empty life if thats how you went about it.

If you do get another dog make sure to name it Lebron.......

:(

So sorry to hear man.

If you do get another dog make sure to name it Lebron.......
:lmao: Thanks. :lmao:

Sorry to hear.

I use to never get it when people would get torn up over losing a pet until I had a girlfriend (that became my 1st wife) buy me a dog. I got very close to the dog. A neighbor shot her and my wife and I spent our first anniversary all messed up over the loss.

They become a part of your family. I hope everyone is doing better now.

Sorry to hear.

I use to never get it when people would get torn up over losing a pet until I had a girlfriend (that became my 1st wife) buy me a dog. I got very close to the dog. A neighbor shot her and my wife and I spent our first anniversary all messed up over the loss.

dog and wife shot? brutal.

our friend is putting his cancer-ridden dog down today. got to say goodbye over the weekend at the dog park. amazing the bond that forms between man & dog. our puppy turns 3 tomorrow and I will be destroyed when he goes.

sorry for your loss FM.

Sorry to hear.

dog and wife shot? brutal.

our friend is putting his cancer-ridden dog down today. got to say goodbye over the weekend at the dog park. amazing the bond that forms between man & dog. our puppy turns 3 tomorrow and I will be destroyed when he goes.

sorry for your loss FM.

Please insert comma where it makes the most sense, or seems the most entertaining to you.

Archived