What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Cow's Build a Killer Gaming Rig on a Budget Thread (2 Viewers)

Crap, just showing charged, not even showing shipped yet, and I ordered it #######g 5 minutes after the shell shocker started. :hot:

You know I love you Newegg, but let's see my new :thumbup: gear. :popcorn:

Ok, so I got all of the parts I ordered. So far, I have opened the case and installed the power supply, got the processor and processor fan onto the motherboard, got the ram into the motherboard, got the motherboard into the case, got the hard drive in a bay, got the dvd drive in its place, and got my graphics card installed.

I still have to install the extra fan I bought and then hook up all these damn wires. I think I am in way over my head. Am I making this too hard?

Is there a simple way for me to figure out where all these cables/wires need to go?

Please help.

TIA

what is the question re: cables/wires?where to plug them in?how to properly manage cables?
I guess I'm looking for a little help with both. Really though, I just need to know what goes where. I think I can handle management once I figure out where they go.

mobo documents should provide guidance re: which cables go where.
Yeah, it does, but what do I do with the octopus of wires coming out of the power supply? There are no directions.
you will have far more wires coming out of the power supply than you will need. make sure everything is juiced and you should be OK
alright. now i cant figure out how to get power to the hard drive or dvd drive. i think i have everything else.

Also, I have some cables coming from buttons on the front of the case labeled "HD Aduio" and "AC'97" that I can find a place for.

ssherman said:
Also, I have some cables coming from buttons on the front of the case labeled "HD Aduio" and "AC'97" that I can find a place for.
If I'm not mistaken, the HD Audio should go to your sound card. I think the AC 97 is also sound, just not HD. Don't quote me on that, though.

ssherman said:
If I'm not mistaken, the HD Audio should go to your sound card. I think the AC 97 is also sound, just not HD. Don't quote me on that, though.
No, you get to choose one of them to go to your mobo. That is for the case header generally so you can throw in your headset for mic and sound. Use whichever one the mobo specifies, usually HD audio.ETA they could go to your sound card if it has the slot and you of course have the card.

Last edited by a moderator:
ssherman said:
ShaqAttaq said:
ssherman said:
ShaqAttaq said:
mobo documents should provide guidance re: which cables go where.
Yeah, it does, but what do I do with the octopus of wires coming out of the power supply? There are no directions.
you will have far more wires coming out of the power supply than you will need. make sure everything is juiced and you should be OK
alright. now i cant figure out how to get power to the hard drive or dvd drive. i think i have everything else.
The HDD will take a SATA power connector. The DVD either SATA or molex.

ssherman said:
No, you get to choose one of them to go to your mobo. That is for the case header generally so you can throw in your headset for mic and sound. Use whichever one the mobo specifies, usually HD audio.ETA they could go to your sound card if it has the slot and you of course have the card.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I guess I didn't word it correctly. One or the other goes to soundcard if you got it, mobo if you don't.

i seem to have everything installed now. thanks for all the help so far.

now i am getting to load windows and i put the disk in, it loads some files, then it says it is starting windows. i have left it in that state for over 30 minutes and nothing happens.

am i just being impatient, or is something wrong?

i seem to have everything installed now. thanks for all the help so far.now i am getting to load windows and i put the disk in, it loads some files, then it says it is starting windows. i have left it in that state for over 30 minutes and nothing happens.am i just being impatient, or is something wrong?
bump

that doesnt seem right
didn't think so. any suggestions?
Any error codes? I would take out the windows disc, reboot and see what happens. Make sure all your fans are spinning and your hard drive is powered. Did you power your mother board in two spots?
No error codes. It just gets stuck on the starting windows screen. I left it overnight, to no avail.All the fans are spinning. The hard drive is powered, and there is power to the motherboard in two spots (one at the top and the other on the right hand side).I can get into bios and it seems to recognize everything I installed. I'm at a loss.

that doesnt seem right
Any error codes? I would take out the windows disc, reboot and see what happens. Make sure all your fans are spinning and your hard drive is powered. Did you power your mother board in two spots?
No error codes. It just gets stuck on the starting windows screen. I left it overnight, to no avail.All the fans are spinning. The hard drive is powered, and there is power to the motherboard in two spots (one at the top and the other on the right hand side).I can get into bios and it seems to recognize everything I installed. I'm at a loss.
Reboot with the windows disc in the drive?

that doesnt seem right
Reboot with the windows disc in the drive?
tried that. still gets stuck at the starting windows screen

Did you restore all the defaults in the bios? Had a problem where Windows 7 would not get past the logo. Figured out it was one of the DVD drives and when I unplugged it, it loaded just fine (I had to check the driver once I installed W7). If it's a HDD, I recommend if possible to take it out and if you have an external case, completely format the HDD and start over. Also check the boot configuration in the bios. I do DVD then HDD in priority (I am sure this is pretty common).

Just for fun, pull all but 2 GB of RAM and try to install again.
no dice
That's all I've got. Sounds to me like bad windows media or a hard drive problem. You need Cow or Zasada in here for their advice on bios, but if you haven't made any changes that shouldn't affect it. Do you have a previous version of windows to try?
Thanks for the help. I think I am going to go pick up another hard drive to see if that's the problem. I don't think its a windows media problem because I can explore the disc using the asus motherboard expressgate, but I could be wrong.

Just for fun, pull all but 2 GB of RAM and try to install again.
no dice
That's all I've got. Sounds to me like bad windows media or a hard drive problem. You need Cow or Zasada in here for their advice on bios, but if you haven't made any changes that shouldn't affect it. Do you have a previous version of windows to try?
Thanks for the help. I think I am going to go pick up another hard drive to see if that's the problem. I don't think its a windows media problem because I can explore the disc using the asus motherboard expressgate, but I could be wrong.
new hard drive didn't help. now what?

Did you restore all the defaults in the bios? Had a problem where Windows 7 would not get past the logo. Figured out it was one of the DVD drives and when I unplugged it, it loaded just fine (I had to check the driver once I installed W7). If it's a HDD, I recommend if possible to take it out and if you have an external case, completely format the HDD and start over. Also check the boot configuration in the bios. I do DVD then HDD in priority (I am sure this is pretty common).
Yeah, all of the default bios are in there. Changed the boot priority for DVD then HDD. Still sticking on the starting windows screen.

Honestly, I have the feeling it is something fairly simple. Some things are just easier to be there and see and handle. You have any :thumbup: friends to call over? You might try doing a reformat (the long version) and reinstall and see if that helps. Make sure you format the correct type.

Honestly, I have the feeling it is something fairly simple. Some things are just easier to be there and see and handle. You have any :thumbup: friends to call over? You might try doing a reformat (the long version) and reinstall and see if that helps. Make sure you format the correct type.
Nobody to call. I'm probably the most <_< of the group. How might I go about doing a reformat?Just to summarize...I bought a bunch of stuff from newegg, put it together, turned on the power, then tried to load windows. Got stuck on the windows starting screen.

Nobody to call. I'm probably the most ;) of the group. How might I go about doing a reformat?Just to summarize...I bought a bunch of stuff from newegg, put it together, turned on the power, then tried to load windows. Got stuck on the windows starting screen.
What are the odds that he has something hooked up wrong here? Can you post some pictures of the build, some close ups of the motherboard connections? I can't think of how any of that would cause a problem installing the OS though.

Honestly, I have the feeling it is something fairly simple. Some things are just easier to be there and see and handle. You have any :goodposting: friends to call over? You might try doing a reformat (the long version) and reinstall and see if that helps. Make sure you format the correct type.
Nobody to call. I'm probably the most :bye: of the group. How might I go about doing a reformat?Just to summarize...I bought a bunch of stuff from newegg, put it together, turned on the power, then tried to load windows. Got stuck on the windows starting screen.
What are the odds that he has something hooked up wrong here? Can you post some pictures of the build, some close ups of the motherboard connections? I can't think of how any of that would cause a problem installing the OS though.
What would you want to see?Things that I've connected to the motherboard:CPU (processor, heatsink, and fan)RAMGPU (pci express slot)HDD (sata connection)DVD (sata connection)Power supply (two locations)Buttons from front of case (case is Thermaltake Element S)USB/Sata connections from back of case (came with motherboard)All of the above also have connections to the power supply, as do the case fans.

i bought the oem version of windows 7. could that be a problem?
Shouldn't be. That's what I have installed. As for the pics, I don't know. I'm grasping. Like I said, I don't see how that would cause the problem you are having. I'm at a loss and should probably shut up now.

Shouldn't be. That's what I have installed. As for the pics, I don't know. I'm grasping. Like I said, I don't see how that would cause the problem you are having. I'm at a loss and should probably shut up now.
Taking and posting photos of the whole thing from a few angles as well as every connection would help.

Taking and posting photos of the whole thing from a few angles as well as every connection would help.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35092502@N04/?saved=1what else would you like to see?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35092502@N04/?saved=1what else would you like to see?
does he maybe want the ram in the black sockets?

Mobos can certainly be testy if you don't put them where it wants them.

I was thinking the same thing. Check the instructions for the mobo to make sure your RAM is in the right slots. For me if I have 2 chips, they need to be in slots 1&3. I also have another board that specifies 1&2. Can't think of anything else right now.

I would reformat and reinstall with 1 stick of RAM, then try with the other as well.

Moving the ram didn't help. I'm trying the load via usb route right now, using an external hard drive.

I would reformat and reinstall with 1 stick of RAM, then try with the other as well.
What/how do I reformat? I haven't really done anything yet.
Make sure to set the boot order to DVD first, then HDD and go through the install process again. It will initially ask about formatting and partitioning. You want to partition how you want to do it - might as well make 1 huge partition for your needs, then do the slower format option.

Users who are viewing this thread