What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (9 Viewers)

Kind of a hijack here. Fairly certain it's been discussed, but I can't find a thread for it. So if someone has a link, just give me that instead of answers if it's easier. We have an Xbox 360 for a few years. Up til now my kids have been satisfied and hadn't been asking for the Xbox 1. But I think Santa is ponying up this year. My wonder is do I skip the projected fire sale deals on the XB1 and go for the XB1S? I did some poking around and don't see a whole lot of difference between the two. Neither kid does any hardcore gaming.

Thanks
Grab those deals man. XB1 is awesome even without the upgraded S version. In fact, if they're not hardcore gamers they probably couldn't even tell the difference in the look. 

Just make sure you get the biggest hard drive deal you can. Don't get less than a 1TB for the HDD.

Grab those deals man. XB1 is awesome even without the upgraded S version. In fact, if they're not hardcore gamers they probably couldn't even tell the difference in the look. 

Just make sure you get the biggest hard drive deal you can. Don't get less than a 1TB for the HDD.
Thanks! The hard drive was my next question. They've been pretty satisfied with the 360 , my main worry was not getting something that would be a doorstop because of whatever the next version was going to be would make the 1 or 1S obsolete. The 360's game's backwards compatibility sounds like it's not the huge deal it was initially.

The S is only $299, and includes a pack in game. Plus it's more future proof in that it outputs 4k and has a UHD Bluray player (those things are about $300 retail for just the player). I'd go with the S personally.

And for the onboard drive, I'd go with the smaller 500gb. Then buy an external USB3 2tb drive. Store and play games off the external as its faster. And you'll need the space because all games install to the hard drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
The S is only $299, and includes a pack in game. Plus it's more future proof in that it outputs 4k and has a UHD Bluray player (those things are about $300 retail for just the player). I'd go with the S personally.
This.

If you're going to shoot the lock off the wallet, go ahead and get them the new one dude.

Does anyone else play league?  It's the most popular game in the world but I don't think it really fits the demographic here.  Anyway I've played it an obscene amount the past 4-5 years. Our xbone has more or less been a really nice Netflix machine in the meantime .

Are you playing defensive most of the game? Still conquering?

Every time I try to go "cultural" about halfway through I'm like "WTF!? Japan is in Industrial Age?! I'm not even in Renaissance yet!"

As far as Diplomatic Victory, I have zero interest in that. I actually wish there were more types of Domination victories than just being last one with their orig capitol.
Mostly defensive, but I'm sure to join in a couple wars with other Civs to - 1. Keep them honest (I will fight you) 2. Keep a solid group of allies.

I just won a cultural victory with France (India and Ethiopia are also solid choices). I made a quick 5 cities and stopped expanding. Powered through all cultural techs. I'm a big fan of the Great Library slingshot to Philosophy (to get the National College and Oracle), but when I go for a cultural victory, I slingshot to Drama instead so I can build amphitheaters as quickly as possible. I kept a solid show of defensive force on my borders. Joined an early war with another civ, but stopped at capturing one nearby city.

Also secondary focus on religion. Take the perks that make shrines, then temples, produce extra culture. Maintain allies with city-states that produce either faith or culture. The +12 culture from an allied cultural city-state is YUGE! to get early on. I believe I finished the Utopia Project in the 1950s.

Biggest thing about the preview are the third party partners. Take2, Bethesda, Square all shown to be included. Hope that means Kingdom Hearts 3, and curious if Red Dead Redemption 2 trailer today is going to be announcing a release for the Switch.

Also interested in learning more about the local multiplayer aspect.

Hmm the switch is intriguing. Proper 3rd party support it seems?

And I believe I saw what looks to be Super Mario 64 2!

Biggest thing about the preview are the third party partners. Take2, Bethesda, Square all shown to be included. Hope that means Kingdom Hearts 3, and curious if Red Dead Redemption 2 trailer today is going to be announcing a release for the Switch.

Also interested in learning more about the local multiplayer aspect.
Don't tease me bro :(.

Nintendo Switch:

Thoughts on how the little carts that you see get pushed into the tablet will work vs full games on the home version? No way the little cartridges can hold the data of a big AAA game like Skyrim (which I believe was shown). 

Interesting indeed. Lots of questions raised. Are those removable controls motion controllers like the Wii? Is it running Skyrim remastered or Skyrim from 2011? How close is this too current consoles? Do they have long term agreements with the major 3rd party publishers? Is this remote/cross play? Will on the go gaming require wifi? Will it be able to be on the go with every game?

There was an "early release" available.  Basically, you pay $20 more and get the game 3 days early.  Or to put it the other way, EA just refused to release the finished game to people who wouldn't pony up another $20.  
I'm usually not one to complain when companies try for extra $$, as long as they give something worthwhile back (have all the super duper tin encased artwork included special editions you want), but this is pretty lame. They basically made the normal "Tuesday" release a premium thing - I hope this doesn't become the norm. 

Nintendo Switch:

Thoughts on how the little carts that you see get pushed into the tablet will work vs full games on the home version? No way the little cartridges can hold the data of a big AAA game like Skyrim (which I believe was shown). 
Well SD cards can now hold up to 2TB so yeah it's definitely possible.

Not sure what you're asking here. I was just speaking about the ability to put large amounts of data on a small card like a SD card.
Sorry I am talking about how they are going to run a AAA game on a tablet (I dont believe it can currently be done). Does the cart help with this issue?

Sorry I am talking about how they are going to run a AAA game on a tablet (I dont believe it can currently be done). Does the cart help with this issue?
That I have no idea on as the specs haven't been released yet, I was just commenting on your initial question on the game fitting. Some commenters on Kotaku were saying there was a whole lot of frame dropping in the demo video so I would expect some limitations but not sure exactly how much or how impactful it will all be.

I'm talking about if there's a Black Friday deal where the original drops to $180 or something.
Most retailers had that deal a couple of weeks ago.  That's why I finally caved.  I got the Tomb Raider 1TB bundle for $199 plus a free game of my choice (chose Forza Horizon 3).

Got my Infinite Warfare beta code today.  The email contained 5 extra codes if anyone wants one.  This is for XBox.  PS4 is open to everyone this weekend.

East Coast Bias said:
Got my Infinite Warfare beta code today.  The email contained 5 extra codes if anyone wants one.  This is for XBox.  PS4 is open to everyone this weekend.
PM, I'll take one

Hawks64 said:
That I have no idea on as the specs haven't been released yet, I was just commenting on your initial question on the game fitting. Some commenters on Kotaku were saying there was a whole lot of frame dropping in the demo video so I would expect some limitations but not sure exactly how much or how impactful it will all be.
From gizmodo: 

What are the cartridges for?

In the trailer you can briefly see a cartridge being inserted into the Switch. Old school Nintendos often off-loaded some of the processing duties to the cartridges to supplement the underpowered consoles. The current mobile console from Nintendo, the 3DS, uses SD cards as gaming cartridges. So the ones spied in the trailer could just be games. A 30-hour Zelda adventure in 4K would take up a lot of storage, and offloading all of it to a cartridge makes sense.

I've done it a few times.  Once you get some semblance of an army, you march against the world and raze nearly all cities that aren't capitals (keep a non-capital city as a blocker, a healing city, or a road to destroying another civ - everything else gets razed).  Basically, once you start warring, you don't stop until the world is yours.

So, how?  Prioritize science early while you are at peace.  Get science moving as quickly as possible.  Don't go for faith/culture at all.  Once you have your war tech(s), build the units and advance.  I would only create one or two additional cities (a production city + a lux city maybe - prioritize production heavily) at this time since you will be mowing down cities soon.

One great way to get a domination is to play on archipelago as Korea.  The turtle ship is a naval melee unit so it can capture cities.  Hit all the coastal capitals and raid any inland capitals with your enormous empire.
I don't even bother with other cities.  unless I need to cut a swath through a country to get to their capital.  Normally I go straight for them and ignore everything else.

And for the onboard drive, I'd go with the smaller 500gb. Then buy an external USB3 2tb drive. Store and play games off the external as its faster. And you'll need the space because all games install to the hard drive.
I just bought a Vizio 1080P 6 mos ago partly because I'm cheap and partly because I couldn't see a big difference in the pictures. I know next time out I'll pretty much have to go UHD TV, but my present thought is if the XB1 1080P picture looks great now it'll still look great in a couple years. Especially if I can score one for $200 less than a 1S. 

Am I off base here?

East Coast Bias said:
PM sent. I'd love one if you have any left.

Just got started on XCOM2 and it seems much better but harder than 1.  Was shocked how easy it was to get killed right off the bat.
I can't figure out how to get this quote out of my reply box.  Also, XCOM2 is a fantastic game and the DLC really adds very difficult aliens to the mix.  I can see myself picking this game up over and over.  Assuming, of course, that Civ6 doesn't monopolize my gaming time and/or break my brain.
I hate this game but can't stop playing it. 

Really wish I would've just got the latest Disgea when it was onsale recently instead. 

2017 looks like it's going to be a huge year for games. Mass Effect, Red Dead, Zelda, Horizon, Gran Tranismo, Final Fantasy and more that I probably can't think of at the moment. 

I use these.  I got them because they are wireless.  Been using them about a year now with no issues. Headset
I like the Turtle Beaches as well.  Used to have an Astro but it started having all sorts of mic issues after 1.5 years so no way I was going to blow another $300 on Astros.  Been very happy with the TBs so far.

Users who are viewing this thread