What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (12 Viewers)

Thats the thing I didnt get.   Way back when they release the game without names and it was numbers only.  Do the same thing but make the likenesses off - then wait for the roster dudes to clean it up.   I dont really care if the computer guy looks like some college kid
Yeah, I dont think anyone really would have cared if players didn't look the same as their real life counterparts. And its not like the faces were even remotely detailed anyway.

But it was still obvious to anyone who every player was supposed to be. Florida QB-15 was a white, 99 rated, left handed throwing, well built QB who could run.  Combine with that the fact that the rosters were so easily editable, and pretty much any court would agree that they were circumventing the spirit of the law and stealing their likenesses. Of course, the schools themselves were doing the exact same thing by selling Florida # 15 jerseys in the book store, but here we are.

For me, the appeal of a college football (or basketball game) was dynasty mode. In NCAA football, I usually plowed through about a season a week, so 3 weeks after getting the game, the rosters were all randomly generated recruits anyway. So they can just use 100% randomized names and stats for the starting rosters for all I care. I imagine they'd tailor the starting rosters so that the historically great teams were great (and the bad teams bad, plus everything in between.

I dont know why EA would even bother negotiating for the rights of the current college kids. Seems like a big waste of money to me. As I believe someone else suggested a while back in this thread, I'd concentrate on scooping as many "legends" as possible for ultimate team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont care if they have the real players. As a franchise guy, my seasons dont even get started until all the freshman have graduated. 

Exactly. Back in the day, I would usually start with a 1 or 2 star program and build them up. It was nice to find a team with 1 or 2 workhorse type guys (so you could at least have a little bit of a chance until recruits started rolling in) but its not like I was going to win a title in the first 4 or 5 years. 

Exactly. Back in the day, I would usually start with a 1 or 2 star program and build them up. It was nice to find a team with 1 or 2 workhorse type guys (so you could at least have a little bit of a chance until recruits started rolling in) but its not like I was going to win a title in the first 4 or 5 years. 

I always took the South Alabama Jaguars!!!

Theyre one star but you get all lower in state talent which is better than some of the better guys throughout the country. 

As long as they have an edit player option and the ability to import rosters there will enough willing people to do the editing for download.
Exactly.  Who cares if the players are in the game.  If you could edit rosters on consoles two+ generations old, the only reason you wouldn't be able to do the same here is if EA decided to go through all of this and then kill it in one fell swoop.

In the early days, I would play as powerhouse teams and just beat the hell out of everyone But one I got out of college, I started going with the build ups. Mostly, I just wanted teams with cool uniforms and a somewhat decent looking stadium. Once they added the ability to get invited to a better conference, it got a little more fun.  Over the years, I played as a bunch of teams 

Troy

Duke

Army

Rutgers (back when they were REAL bad in the Big East)

San Jose State

I think Troy and San Jose state (due their mascots and unis) were my favorites.

Would be awesome if they added a playable Championship subdivsion, (pretty sure some of those teams were in the game back in like 2007, I remember my brother playing as Towson) but that seems very unlikely. Would open up a ton of cool options though.

Looks like they've negotiated licensing deals with like 100 schools but not the overarching NCAA license (hence the "EA Sports COLLEGE Football" instead of "NCAA football") and no player likenesses at this point.

But considering that it will take some time to build the game and the fact that NCAA name and likeness legislation is likely to pass in the next year, my guess is that players will be in the game once its released.

And at that point, everyone will realize that 99.9999% of the players dont have nearly as much value as they think they do.  My guess is it will be a much bigger deal for historical legend types instead of the guys playing now. I imagine someone like Tim Tebow (as an example) could expect a decent little payday to allow his likeness in the game. But the kid nobody has heard of who will be UF's quarterback 2 years from now when this thing is released....not so much.

Hope 2K follows suit and starts up their college hoops franchise again. Best sports game ever.
They are making it EA College Football because they said College sports is always changing. They decided to call it what they did  in case some of the stuff they hope happens doesn't happen. 

Most of these guys will never make as much money as they think which is why I always thought they deserved to get compensated in someway given the schools make so much money. Kind of like a paid internship 

As long as they have an edit player option and the ability to import rosters there will enough willing people to do the editing for download.
I think this is what will happen. They've already put in Madden the ability to edit draft classes and DL them again which was partially partnership when they did NCAA Football you could import saved draft classes to the old maddens. It sounds like its going to be a very in depth game in form of college football experience which sounds great so far. I think they will allow he edit player option. As long as teams, conferences etc are all licensed and they allow the create your own school and stadium again I think you get enough interest without actual players. There's always enough guys willing to edit in these games. Heck wrestling itself games wise I remember when they started to allow Create Your Own Wrestlers to share online. There was huge amounts of people making some great creations almost to form. In the last 5-6 yrs with the creation suits getting more in depth I've seen CAWS that are better then actual scanned wrestlers in the games. 

MLB The Show just allowed Minor leaguers after Op Sports edited it for yrs. They still help MLB The Show with it and I think get paid now to an extent. 

Yeah, I dont think anyone really would have cared if players didn't look the same as their real life counterparts. And its not like the faces were even remotely detailed anyway.

But it was still obvious to anyone who every player was supposed to be. Florida QB-15 was a white, 99 rated, left handed throwing, well built QB who could run.  Combine with that the fact that the rosters were so easily editable, and pretty much any court would agree that they were circumventing the spirit of the law and stealing their likenesses. Of course, the schools themselves were doing the exact same thing by selling Florida # 15 jerseys in the book store, but here we are.

For me, the appeal of a college football (or basketball game) was dynasty mode. In NCAA football, I usually plowed through about a season a week, so 3 weeks after getting the game, the rosters were all randomly generated recruits anyway. So they can just use 100% randomized names and stats for the starting rosters for all I care. I imagine they'd tailor the starting rosters so that the historically great teams were great (and the bad teams bad, plus everything in between.

I dont know why EA would even bother negotiating for the rights of the current college kids. Seems like a big waste of money to me. As I believe someone else suggested a while back in this thread, I'd concentrate on scooping as many "legends" as possible for ultimate team.
Then we'd get a ####ty dynasty like Madden and other games because they are more focused on screwing people over for micro transactions. Worst thing to ever happen to sports video games is these Ultimate teams and card packs. The companies saw they could make money off of them more, and in the long run completely let go of the season/franchise/dynasty modes. Something with the first person shooters. Campaigns use to be awesome with story driven now they are just an after thought in games. However the fans spoke in COD when they showed them that just making a video game that was just multiplayer wasn't going to sell as well as a game that had some sort of campaign mode still. 

In the early days, I would play as powerhouse teams and just beat the hell out of everyone But one I got out of college, I started going with the build ups. Mostly, I just wanted teams with cool uniforms and a somewhat decent looking stadium. Once they added the ability to get invited to a better conference, it got a little more fun.  Over the years, I played as a bunch of teams 

Troy

Duke

Army

Rutgers (back when they were REAL bad in the Big East)

San Jose State

I think Troy and San Jose state (due their mascots and unis) were my favorites.

Would be awesome if they added a playable Championship subdivsion, (pretty sure some of those teams were in the game back in like 2007, I remember my brother playing as Towson) but that seems very unlikely. Would open up a ton of cool options though.
I would still do my Florida seasons but once they got old when you could create a school I'd create my own school and import it into some random conference. I would start out small then recruit pretty well. The other thing you could do is make your own guys and see if you would be able to recruit them to your school. More then a few times I'd created 10-15 guys ranging from 2-5 stars and at least over half of them would sign else where. 

So will I be able to buy a ps5 in my lifetime?
I believe the head Xbox guy said that the new Xbox likely wouldn’t be readily available until about June due to limited supplies of components. Since Sony also uses AMD architecture, it’s a pretty good bet that it will be similar for the PS5.

Figure I’ll probably be able to get my Covid vaccination about the same time I can get a PS5.

I couldn't get a ps4 until about March if I recall correctly.  So there's still time?
I had a PS4 on day one last time -- absolutely no problem whatsoever.

At this point, I think there's a decent chance that Sony has lost my business permanently.  I have a hard time imagining that I'll really want to go back to a console after playing on PC.  Consoles aren't that expensive, but do I really want one just for exclusives?  It's not a very compelling value proposition.

At this point, I think there's a decent chance that Sony has lost my business permanently.  I have a hard time imagining that I'll really want to go back to a console after playing on PC.  Consoles aren't that expensive, but do I really want one just for exclusives?  It's not a very compelling value proposition.
Weird I couldn't find one for the longest time here :shrug:

but got a ps5 day 1 - it's like complete opposite lol

I have zero interest in the new consoles because all the first gen games suck anyways. The gap between the Xbox One's recent releases and the XB Series X first gen games isn't very wide - as to be expected given one system is new and the other is more than 7 years old. 

Im a huge PC guy but Ive never ever played a single PC game that wasn't janky is some way. Consoles aren't perfect but they are almost always considerably smoother. Modders are also impossible to avoid on PC and the consoles make it harder on them. 

Im also getting old AF and until games take a major step forward, my interest level just isn't there. I think the VR stuff is another generation away but thats probably the next frontier. 

On my 3rd playthrough of Cyberpunk and two criticisms I now agree with.

First, the AI is disappointing. You start seeing patterns even in chaotic combat. Much of the dialogue options and branches remind me of Morrowind era options - yes, you can choose the 2nd or 3rd response, but you're coming back to the first one if you want to move ahead.

The second is the long scenes that get real tedious real fast. Skip Dialogue has become my friend. I'm playing now without allocating any points until I get past certain milestone (with it's own long scenes) and creating a save that will start all future playthroughs.

Still love playing sneaky-hacker and getting through a mission undetected is super satisfying, but so much of the game falls short of its apparent potential.

I’m hoping to pick up a PS5 maybe some time around my birthday in late April because I never got around to getting a PS4 and there’s no point in buying one now. Prices haven’t come down at all on the old consoles because Sony has basically stopped making them to focus on the shortages for the PS5. I could pick up a used one probably fairly cheap but not something I am keen on doing with it only being a little more $ for the next gen that will last me many more years and eventually play more advanced games. Plus the backwards compatibility means I can still play all those exclusives I missed out on.

Probably won’t upgrade from my Xbone for a while until there’s finally a must have next gen game coming out. With game pass I have more games available than I will ever have time to play anyway.

I think some games just play so much better on consoles and controllers.  I'll admit, I've never tried using a controller with my PC, just keyboard/mouse, but some games just feel more like couch console games to me.  I'd have hard timing giving up my console totally.

I think some games just play so much better on consoles and controllers.  I'll admit, I've never tried using a controller with my PC, just keyboard/mouse, but some games just feel more like couch console games to me.  I'd have hard timing giving up my console totally.
Yeah in fairness, I haven't tried playing a PC game with a controller yet.  No way am I playing something like Dark Souls with a mouse and keyboard.  

I believe the head Xbox guy said that the new Xbox likely wouldn’t be readily available until about June due to limited supplies of components. Since Sony also uses AMD architecture, it’s a pretty good bet that it will be similar for the PS5.

Figure I’ll probably be able to get my Covid vaccination about the same time I can get a PS5.
Wasn't gonna get a PS5 till probably Summer anyway

Half thought out idea for last of us 2 alternative ending

What if Abby kidnapped Dina at the theater in Seattle while Ellie/Jessie were sleeping and it turns into a cat/mouse game to save Dina. Somehow it ties back to Ellie versus the last remaining fireflies (and or Joel/Tommy's hunting days).

I'm looking to buy an arcade game emulator console I can hook up to my basement projector to play old arcade games.  Anyone have experience with those or a suggestion for the easiest way to buy / set it up?  TIA!

I'm looking to buy an arcade game emulator console I can hook up to my basement projector to play old arcade games.  Anyone have experience with those or a suggestion for the easiest way to buy / set it up?  TIA!
I dont know anything about this model but you can find tons of options for these things. 

If youre comfortable doing things yourself google "arcade emulator raspberry pi"

Switch Owners.

I noticed a 14.50 charge on my credit card from nintendo, but I have not had my switched turned on since Christmas. Could someone have hacked my account or is there a 14.50 recurring subscription for Nintendo services that I am unaware of?

I tried to do a quick google search of "14.50" and "Nintendo", but that did not turn up any results.

Depends what you mean by old arcade games, I have a Modded Wii that has every nintendo, super nintendo, genesis, n64, wii, and maybe even atari game ever.

You may want to look into a modded wii.

Depends what you mean by old arcade games, I have a Modded Wii that has every nintendo, super nintendo, genesis, n64, wii, and maybe even atari game ever.

You may want to look into a modded wii.
More interested in old school physical arcade games than system games.

You guys aren't lying.  Ghost of tsushima is amazing.   Why did I wait to play this?   About 2/3 of the way through.   Gonna play it again on hardest after this run

Mass Effect Legendary Edition came out this last week. I didn't even bother picking it up though. From what I've seen they put minimal effort into fixing things glitch wise but went out of their way to censor certain scenes (like Miranda's Butt) for no reason. I have all the games and DLC anyway. No need to buy it again. 

Mass Effect Legendary Edition came out this last week. I didn't even bother picking it up though. From what I've seen they put minimal effort into fixing things glitch wise but went out of their way to censor certain scenes (like Miranda's Butt) for no reason. I have all the games and DLC anyway. No need to buy it again.

Where are you seeing that it came out @Insein? Release date is May 14, 2021. 

I never played the originals so I'm very excited for the trilogy. 

Yeah, it's not out for a while, which sucks for me, because I was hoping to do a playthrough before my first kid comes the end of May.  Now it's going to have to wait until who knows when, darn kid ruining my gaming  :kicksrock: ...

I haven't heard bad things about it at all, some nice graphical and control updates to the original, and some improved graphics in the later ones.  So, they took out a couple more gratuitous shots, hard to blame them for that right now.  If you were hoping for them to re-write the ending or something, that was never going to happen, this was simply a remaster to update the visual quality make a couple bucks, and keep the Mass Effect name out there while they are working on the new one.

I get it if you own the original already, yeah, you aren't getting anything new, but I think it will be nice to have a slightly more consistent look to the games when you play them through.

Have fun with it pep, may be my favorite game series top to bottom even with it's flaws.

Yeah, it's not out for a while, which sucks for me, because I was hoping to do a playthrough before my first kid comes the end of May.  Now it's going to have to wait until who knows when, darn kid ruining my gaming  :kicksrock: ...

I haven't heard bad things about it at all, some nice graphical and control updates to the original, and some improved graphics in the later ones.  So, they took out a couple more gratuitous shots, hard to blame them for that right now.  If you were hoping for them to re-write the ending or something, that was never going to happen, this was simply a remaster to update the visual quality make a couple bucks, and keep the Mass Effect name out there while they are working on the new one.

I get it if you own the original already, yeah, you aren't getting anything new, but I think it will be nice to have a slightly more consistent look to the games when you play them through.

Have fun with it pep, may be my favorite game series top to bottom even with it's flaws.
Congrats on the first kid!

I actually found that I had more time for gaming during the first several months of my kids' lives. All they want to do is sleep. Only way my baby son would sleep was while strapped to me as I bounced him on an exercise ball. Perfect time to game! 🙂

Hmm maybe it's just the reviewers getting a hold of beta tests then because every other youtube video is comparing old to new scenes. Just has me down a bit. Not much improvement on the game. 

Yea I knew they'd never touch the endings. They just seem to be spending time on worrying about the wrong things which is par for the course in the gaming industry these days. 

Yea I knew they'd never touch the endings. They just seem to be spending time on worrying about the wrong things which is par for the course in the gaming industry these days. 
Maybe I'll play the game an feel otherwise, but I think you are taking one or two examples, (the Miranda gratuitous butt shot was the only one I've heard about personally) and trying to paint a whole picture on it.  I think they are trying to up the female Shepard playthrough and a short like that may not fit well and was a bad choice in the game to start with.  Nothing wrong with making a minute change like that to better support the experience of playing a generic male/female lead.  The vast bulk of the dev work on this remaster has been to try and up the first game to the level of the other two, and that is worrying about the correct things to me.

Should've kept it in your pants if you wanted to game that much  :P

I actually found that I had more time for gaming during the first several months of my kids' lives. All they want to do is sleep. Only way my baby son would sleep was while strapped to me as I bounced him on an exercise ball. Perfect time to game! 🙂

@The Tick

Pepwaves speaks the truth. The first 4-5 months after my oldest was born I had more time than gaming than ever. Although it depends on how you work the feeding schedule with your wife.

My wife would go to bed early(8pm) so she could wake up during the night, I would stay up until 10/11pm so that I could do the late feeding. I had 3 hours every day for months where the only thing to do was play video games.

Maybe I'll play the game an feel otherwise, but I think you are taking one or two examples, (the Miranda gratuitous butt shot was the only one I've heard about personally) and trying to paint a whole picture on it.  I think they are trying to up the female Shepard playthrough and a short like that may not fit well and was a bad choice in the game to start with.  Nothing wrong with making a minute change like that to better support the experience of playing a generic male/female lead.  The vast bulk of the dev work on this remaster has been to try and up the first game to the level of the other two, and that is worrying about the correct things to me.
Bioware hasn't exactly been batting 1.000 lately. So this should have been a layup. They were already one of the first to include these progressive things without making a big deal about it. Homosexual relationships, female main character option (not the first but made it a point to make the fem shep playthrough slightly different), strong female characters in general.

To see them wasting time on censoring the game to pander to people who probably won't even play it is the same tired story if the last 3-4 years. Miranda's sex appeal is part of her character. There was even a behind the scenes where one of the creators said the purpose of the shots was 2 fold. One is the obvious nice to look at but the other ties into her character. She gets people to do what she wants with her sex appeal. The shot placed there with a player choice is meant to make the player distracted as well and coerce them into siding with her. I thought it was actually an interesting insight into the design beyond just "dat ###". 

So I played Hitman Retribution. First Hitman Ive played. Not sure why I waited so long to play one of the games. It was on sale for a decent price with my PS+ sub too. I just downloaded the Remastered but it seems they changed the storyline which I'm not sure if I'm gonna like it or not. Still haven't finished Vahalla either kind of procrastinating on a few things. 

Finally started my FIFA 21 campaign with Milan though. I was waiting for some glitch's to be fixed and was hoping they'd have the new faces in for both Milan and Inter by now but faces aren't there. Manager and other glitches I hated have been fixed. Played a few campaigns with Newcastle for a fun save mode which has been cool. love the Financial takeover at the beginning and did one for Newcastle which was pretty satisfying to fix the club especially with strict negotiations on. 

With Inter and Milan partnered with FIFA I love the Authenticity with the Emis Killa Rossenera theme playing when the players walk out the tunnel. FIFA also fully licensed Calcio so the theme of the league plays for matches not some generic. Next step is getting licenses for the stadiums and getting Serie B back in. I knew they did this when Bayern Scores but they also have Milan's Goal Celebration music and some authentic chants now that weren't in the game. Honestly can't wait to play on next gen. 

Only issues is not of your saves outside of Ultimate team (Which I hardly ever play) and Volta carry over to Next Gen. Another issue is despite playing training sessions and getting good scores so your players can train well, any new campaign you make, you got to play the training sessions all over again. I wasn't happy about this as there was one training session I spent almost an hour on to get at least a solid B on. I try to get full Completion A + or a solid B on all the training sessions  

Bioware hasn't exactly been batting 1.000 lately. So this should have been a layup. They were already one of the first to include these progressive things without making a big deal about it. Homosexual relationships, female main character option (not the first but made it a point to make the fem shep playthrough slightly different), strong female characters in general.

To see them wasting time on censoring the game to pander to people who probably won't even play it is the same tired story if the last 3-4 years. Miranda's sex appeal is part of her character. There was even a behind the scenes where one of the creators said the purpose of the shots was 2 fold. One is the obvious nice to look at but the other ties into her character. She gets people to do what she wants with her sex appeal. The shot placed there with a player choice is meant to make the player distracted as well and coerce them into siding with her. I thought it was actually an interesting insight into the design beyond just "dat ###". 
I will admit I'd have a different opinion on it if the scene was a player choice during flirtation dialog vs just a part of the generic game.  Either way, not offended by it, and not going to let the removal of something like that affect my overall view of the game regardless of why they chose to remove it, if that's about the limit of changes of that type that were made.

Pretty much exactly my experience. Though the game time dropped off to almost 0 after the “sleeping on dad” stage. 

Is it possible to play Cyberpunk with kids in the room?

No nudity/no profanity option? Also what path do you recommend I follow from the start of the game? (hacker/street thug/other)

That's always my issue here. Most of the people these companies try to pander to who get upset aren't the consumers. We can come up with a few examples

The my pillow guy recently" How many actually bought a my pillow? I had a friend who worked at a mattress place for awhile and honestly the My Pillow was not something the experts would recommend anyway. 

There's numerous incidents in Wrestling on this. Complaints from people who don't even watch 

Then the gaming industry. People complaining about certain games they won't even play anyway. Just looking to complain and virtue signal. There's always people out there looking for the "gotcha" moment to ruin someone's life for some reason. It's pretty sad. There's incidents where people should definitely be called out on stuff, however to just be looking at every detail till you find something to get them on is kinda weird and strange. 

I've never played the series and was thinking maybe I get through my catalogue of games I have to I will try it. However the way you explained the scene and character or the Devs did it makes a lot of sense and not sure why anyone would be complaining unless they are a prude or just want to virtue signal. Like you said most of the people complaining won't even be playing the game anyway. All you did was ruin part of the effect of the storyline for people who do play or would want to play the games 

Users who are viewing this thread