What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (13 Viewers)

Just heard Kim's Convenience season 4 is up Wed 4/1.   :thumbup:

Definitely the right kind of really funny (but also feel-good) comedy to watch with the family right now.  Episodes are only ~20 min each, so easy to try out if you haven't yet. I think it's pretty underrated. 
Still great! Wife loves it as well.

Anyone in here watching Brews Brothers on Netflix?  I am not sure when it it was released exactly, so perhaps it has been mentioned in here somewhere already.   It is a 2020 Netflix original series, so it hasn't been around too long.  If you are looking for something a little more on the mindless side of entertainment, this isn't a bad watch.  Its funny, its a little raunchy, its beer.  Sure, its a little stupid at times, but I am finding enough good laughs each episode to keep me coming back.  I am through 4 episodes thus far.
Watched the preview on Netflix and I believe it said it was from the same people that made The League. I'm guessing it is along the same lines, just with a different theme?

Finished up the Sopranos for the first time last night. Solid show but would easily put it behind Breaking Bad, The Wire, West Wing and Lost on my top series list. 

I thought it became fairly predictable with a few surprising deaths thrown in. 

Finished up the Sopranos for the first time last night. Solid show but would easily put it behind Breaking Bad, The Wire, West Wing and Lost on my top series list. 

Lost? :lmao:  come on. You had me with the first 3. 

Started watching Hunters this week. Has a Man in the High Castle feel about it. Only 3 episodes in, seems ok. I can see it turning into lather-rinse-repeat kind of series but fills the void.

Anyone in here watching Brews Brothers on Netflix?  I am not sure when it it was released exactly, so perhaps it has been mentioned in here somewhere already.   It is a 2020 Netflix original series, so it hasn't been around too long.  If you are looking for something a little more on the mindless side of entertainment, this isn't a bad watch.  Its funny, its a little raunchy, its beer.  Sure, its a little stupid at times, but I am finding enough good laughs each episode to keep me coming back.  I am through 4 episodes thus far.
Started it still on fence

I watched it and I watched Outer Banks with my youngest. I kind of liked OB a little more but Brews Brothers was entertaining enough. There are some serious series that I never watched but I’m not quite ready to jump in for hours and hours so those two were quicker you can watch the series in a few days.

Will have to watch the west wing - have heard good things

I know it has discussed a lot previously in this thread but I am too lazy to dig back through. While I enjoy good acting, I much prefer solid story line and the pure enjoyment factor. 

What should I watch next:

Barry

Succession

Veep

Six Feet Under

I know it has discussed a lot previously in this thread but I am too lazy to dig back through. While I enjoy good acting, I much prefer solid story line and the pure enjoyment factor. 

Barry

Succession

Veep

Six Feet Under
can't go wrong with any of them - I'd rank them in that order for watching (Barry is a shorter watch)

Neal Brennan 3 Mics

A stand up act with a heavy dose of serious discussion. 
Just watched this one last night.  Enjoyed it.  It's got to be pretty damn tough to be a stand up comedian.  And this guy pretty much did that and bore out some very serious stuff while doing so.  I could have done without a bit of the name dropping, I mean the guy hammered you over the head that he worked with Dave Chappelle, but overall was good -  not as good as Bert Kreisher.

Also watched the Chris D'Elia special.  Not a single chuckle the entire show.  Oof.

Thought it was kind of funny in a really dumb way, but still finished the season.  For some weird reason, I just wanted to keep watching. No way it gets renewed and no way I would've watched it if it wasn't for the quarantine.

bro1ncos said:

Barry

Succession

Veep

Six Feet Under
Barry is excellent

Thought it was kind of funny in a really dumb way, but still finished the season.  For some weird reason, I just wanted to keep watching. No way it gets renewed and no way I would've watched it if it wasn't for the quarantine.
This is fair.  I was feeling pretty good about it halfway through the season (peaked at episode 4, IMO - Monk Monday), but a few of the episodes in the later part of the season got increasingly stupid.  I still found a few lol moments.  Again, if you are looking for something relatively mindless, you could do worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started Waco, which I didn't know existed. I wouldn't call it great, but it's entertaining. Only 6 episodes.

Mostly importantly, if Tim Riggins is playing David Koresh and Ruth Langmore is involved, I'm watching. 

Anybody give Unorthodox a try?  It’s been getting some buzz the last few days. 
We watched it and finished it yesterday.  It's only 4 episodes long.  The first episode dragged along for a while and almost gave up.  It does improve by the end and the start of episode 2.

I don't know quite how to review it.  I think it's worth a watch.  I don't think it's amazing, but it's fascinating and awful all rolled into one.  Some good acting at times, some bad as well.  I'm glad I watched it but I don't think it'll be for everyone. 

While based on a true story, most of what happened is actually fictionalized.  I learned this after reading about her story after being finished.  I didn't care for that much and would have preferred it being more accurate to her reality. 

man the league had such a great cast...Duplass, Kroll, Scheer + Taco and Rafi were great.

Under watched sitcom IMO
Rewatching it now on Hulu to fall to bed to.  The Fantasy Football mentions are pretty ridiculous, but great cast and still funny (if you're into crude humor).

He's not the main star but is very funny in it. He plays God in season 1 and a ####-shoveler in Medieval times in season 2. I recommend watching S2 first.
Would agree, watched both of these live on TBS and the first was okay, kind of quirky funny. 2nd season was much, much funnier than the 1st. And the seasons have nothing to do with each other as in your earlier post, the show is an anthology with each season different.

Still slowly getting through the recent season of Babylon Berlin after the wife goes to sleep. Still good...and while I'm in awe of them, I think the directors went a little overboard on the silent movie set/filming. NM....it's all pretty fantastically art directed 

Would agree, watched both of these live on TBS and the first was okay, kind of quirky funny. 2nd season was much, much funnier than the 1st. And the seasons have nothing to do with each other as in your earlier post, the show is an anthology with each season different.
I almost watched the first one but never got around to it at the time. The Medieval theme of S2 had me, love that especially as a comedy. Much more wacky comedy as opposed to the first which was a little more heartfelt and quirky, like you said, but still good.

bro1ncos said:

Barry

Succession

Veep

Six Feet Under
Veep

I'll admit it.  Good eye candy and mindless entertainment.   All of them walking away with a life-changing $7,500.  :lmao:
Ha, yeah, at the beginning I was like are they each getting this amount of money? Then when I found out they were splitting, I was like what's the point of caring about these penalties over $5 grand after taxes. Just do whatever you please. They were all pretty awful, but I did find #Bhloe and Francesca sexy, and that guy, David I think, seemed like a really good guy for one of these shows. LoL at the Irish woman who managed to be on the entirety of a reality show with the least amount of air time.

Anybody give Unorthodox a try?  It’s been getting some buzz the last few days. 
We watched it and finished it yesterday.  It's only 4 episodes long.  The first episode dragged along for a while and almost gave up.  It does improve by the end and the start of episode 2.

I don't know quite how to review it.  I think it's worth a watch.  I don't think it's amazing, but it's fascinating and awful all rolled into one.  Some good acting at times, some bad as well.  I'm glad I watched it but I don't think it'll be for everyone. 
I agree with this. I enjoyed it but I'm not quite sure why.

I agree with this. I enjoyed it but I'm not quite sure why.
:lmao:

Yeah, exactly this. I could see a conversation going like this:

"Did you watch Unorthodox?"

"Yeah"

"Did you like it?"

"Yeah"

"Ok, so I should watch it!"

"Sure"

"What do you mean? What did you like about it?"

"I don't know"

"Well maybe I shouldn't watch it"

"Ok"

Godfather of Harlem is pretty good. Few episodes in. Typical mob fare but whatever. 
I didn't fare as well with this one.  I crapped out after the 3rd Ep. Really liked the ensemble of actors put together (Whittaker, D'Onofrio, Esposito)  but something seemed to be missing as the acting seemed really wooden and that they resembled cutout characters. Maybe watching this right after completing S3 of Ozark could have had something to do with this.

I like Lost better than Breaking Bad :oldunsure: . I find no one remotely relatable or likable on BB.
Hank is easy to cheer for.  I think he's the hero.  The "anti-hero" thing in our country's entertainment has become almost nihilism.  Which is why I hate Mad Men.  Not even the children on that show are redeemable.  MAAAYBE Peggy.  But probably all of the characters should fall into a huge pit of quick sand and die slowly.  Not a popular opinion, but the correct one.

I was going to start the Sopranos but decided on Deadwood instead.  Happy with this choice.  I've made it through the first season and love it.

Deadwood is in my top 5 without question. Maybe too 3.  Outstanding show.  
Nice!  Obviously there is fantastic acting here, great characters, and almost Shakespearean drama, but what I'm surprised by is how much heart and humanity there is in it, too.  I'm only through Season One, but the characters of the doctor, Trixie, Sol, the preacher (RIP), Jane, and even Ellsworth, Utter, and some of the others are so compelling to me.  Right now I put it only behind The Wire and The Leftovers (and Better Call Saul TBD) in my favorite series lineup.

Nice!  Obviously there is fantastic acting here, great characters, and almost Shakespearean drama, but what I'm surprised by is how much heart and humanity there is in it, too.  I'm only through Season One, but the characters of the doctor, Trixie, Sol, the preacher (RIP), Jane, and even Ellsworth, Utter, and some of the others are so compelling to me.  Right now I put it only behind The Wire and The Leftovers (and Better Call Saul TBD) in my favorite series lineup.
For sure!  Swearengen might just be the best TV character of all time (its a toss up for him and Kramer). 
it’s also funny you say Shakespearean, the use of foul language is absolutely Shakespearean like in its style, it’s how I’ve always described it to people who haven’t seen the show.  It takes a few episodes to find the rhythm and cadence of the language to truly get into it. 

Did Deadwood end like they wanted it to, or was it pulled before they fully told the story? 
Pulled way too early, was quite a bit of drama at the time. After about 10 or 12 years off the air they did a two hour movie last year to wrap it up. The movie was really good too. 

The Wire and The Leftovers (and Better Call Saul TBD
The Wire is in my top 5 too. BCS with this amazing series is making a very strong case.  But I just couldn’t stick with Leftovers. Everybody I talk to says it’s outstanding but I made it about three episodes and it didn’t hook me.

We're not doing spoilers anymore? 😡

:lmao:

My take on The Wire.  Which by saying I am risking permanent banning via Rude and Schik and that Dodds guy that used to own part of the site and maybe even Joe Brian himself.  BUt I stand by it, and thank you for voicing your very notpopular opinion.
I read for years how great The Wire is - top 3/5/10 show all time.  I’m in to season 4 and I just don’t get it.  I mean, it’s good to very good and seems to be a fantastic biopic on Baltimore.  I’ve enjoyed the series but put it well below Breaking Bad, Sopranos and BCS.  I think in fairness to the show, I had different expectations about how the whole series would run.  Season 4 has been a grind with all the school house and election stuff.  It’s all tied together nicely but I enjoyed the police work and drug gang stuff from the first few seasons much more.  And if I recall several folks said season 5 may be the worst (hoping I remember that incorrectly).

Users who are viewing this thread