What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (12 Viewers)

:goodposting:

I keep rotating who my favorite is...and really, there's no wrong answer. Each actor gets to be hilarious in completely different ways...each taking turns as being or giving the punchline
Yup. They all get in great lines even the little side characters they bring in have great stuff. 

In keeping with my "waiting till shows are over to start them" I started Vikings over the weekend.  Pretty fast paced show so far, a lot happens in the first 5 episodes.  And Lagertha 😍

I'm half way through season 2 and enjoying it.  I  also  agree on Lagertha  :wub:  . She's a Canadian too.  :thumbup:   

There has been some nudity shown, not a lot, so I'm not sure what version we're getting up here in Canada.  When we first met Helga she came out of her place totally naked to greet Ragnar when he was near death after the Earl tried to have them all wiped out.  Aslaug came onto the scene while bathing in a river.  Midway through S2 we see topless slave girl that Bjorn has the googly eyes for.  None of this was really necessary and has not been shows with any romantic scenes with the leading ladies so seem kind of out of place but I'm not complaining. 

That said, the show is good, not great. Certainly worth watching and good to know it's based on real historical people.  It's no Spartacus, however. 

falguy said:
I'm half way through season 2 and enjoying it.  I  also  agree on Lagertha  :wub:  . She's a Canadian too.  :thumbup:   

There has been some nudity shown, not a lot, so I'm not sure what version we're getting up here in Canada.  When we first met Helga she came out of her place totally naked to greet Ragnar when he was near death after the Earl tried to have them all wiped out.  Aslaug came onto the scene while bathing in a river.  Midway through S2 we see topless slave girl that Bjorn has the googly eyes for.  None of this was really necessary and has not been shows with any romantic scenes with the leading ladies so seem kind of out of place but I'm not complaining. 

That said, the show is good, not great. Certainly worth watching and good to know it's based on real historical people.  It's no Spartacus, however. 
I'm almost exactly where you are so a quick comparison of the version I'm getting (in the US, on Amazone Prime).  There's no nudity at all in the version I'm seeing.  Aslaug was bathing in the river when we met her, but the camera shots of her where waist up, and she was turned with her back to the "audience".  Helga definitely wasn't naked either, and Bjorn's girlfriend has been fully clothed the three times I've seen her so far.  

Non-nudity doesn't detract any from the story, and I don't really know the right way to say this, but it definitely feels like it's being edited out, or camera-angled out.  I mean early in S1 Rollo approaches Ragnar's house, Bjorn is sitting outside (~12 yrs old), and he tells his uncle "Ragnar and Lagertha are inside having sex".  Ragnar shags Aslaug in the tent 10 feet away from his kid.  He and Lagertha invite Athelstan to join them in a threeway the day they brought him home.  It's very evident that the characters are causal and open about the concept, so not showing any nudity at all just feels a bit prudish almost. 

but it definitely feels like it's being edited out, or camera-angled out.
I'd say that is the case here as well, most times.  That's why I am surprised when its shown.  My feeling is Kathryn Winnick (Lagertha) and whoever plays Siggy had it in their contract to have no nudity.  However, we did see Siggy's bum as she went to spend some time with the Kings son.  I just finished S2E6. Good stuff!

falguy said:
Certainly worth watching and good to know it's based on real historical people.  
I don't believe that's entirely true. True events maybe but not real people. A young Alfred who appears in later seasons of Vikings is the same King Alfred in Last Kingdom. All of King  Alfred's family in Last Kingdom were real people. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched Alias Grace recently.  6-part miniseries from Canada.  Historical fiction based on a true tale.  Really enjoyed it.  It's been out since 2017 so possibly discussed here before.  

Watched Alias Grace recently.  6-part miniseries from Canada.  Historical fiction based on a true tale.  Really enjoyed it.  It's been out since 2017 so possibly discussed here before.  
Just an FYI. Alias Grace is based on a book by Canadian author, Margaret Atwood. Atwood also wrote "The Handmaid's Tale.

Couple things on Hulu I don't think have been mentioned yet:

"Staged" , 6 episode BBC show, essentially made via Zoom calls. The back and forth between David Tennant and Michael Sheen is quite funny.

"In and of Itself", hard to describe. A 90 minute show filmed in a small NYC theater, a one-man monologue with elements of magic.

While not the most amazing show ever, we started watching Medici.

I'm partial to the setting and story, but it's a decent watch for the story. It's not always the greatest writing and acting, but it's worth a watch. Partway into the second season and this one, so far, is much better done.

Anyway, it's kind of like a medieval version of The Crown set in Italy.
Overall, I enjoyed this.  It's relatively historically accurate which adds to the appeal.  The 2nd and 3rd seasons are much better than the 1st (acting, dialogue, and overall story and story telling).

Finished Your Honor on the weekend. The show was very entertaining all along but I was pretty dissatisfied at the ending.  Not the resolution to the main story but the smaller pieces that left me wanting.  I won't add spoliers (because I don't know if they work) but the courtroom stuff became pretty silly, IMO. There are other things in the side stories that brought it down in my eyes as well.

I'd probably give it 6.5, maybe 7.  Would have been lower if not for BC's acting.  

On the flip side. I am through S3 of Vikings and still loving it.  S4 drops Thursday up here in the GWN (#GreatWhiteNorth) and I'll be on that promptly.  

Finished Your Honor on the weekend. The show was very entertaining all along but I was pretty dissatisfied at the ending.  Not the resolution to the main story but the smaller pieces that left me wanting.  I won't add spoliers (because I don't know if they work) but the courtroom stuff became pretty silly, IMO. There are other things in the side stories that brought it down in my eyes as well.

I'd probably give it 6.5, maybe 7.  Would have been lower if not for BC's acting.  

On the flip side. I am through S3 of Vikings and still loving it.  S4 drops Thursday up here in the GWN (#GreatWhiteNorth) and I'll be on that promptly.  
My wife and I watched this as well. About a week prior to the Finale I read that the show was not being brought back for a 2nd season. I'm not sure if this decision caused a change in the Finale's script, but we thought it was "all over the place" and tried to tie up too many loose ends. 

We noticed Cranston directed the final episode.

falguy said:
Cranston was great as always, but the material was stretched quite thin, with way too many coincidences and implausible actions. Even an actor as gifted as Cranston can only take a flimsy story so far. It makes you appreciate what Vince Gilligan/Matthew Weiner/David Chase bring to the table regarding plotline and structure. 

Another thing that stuck out (at least to me) was New Orleans and its characters long entwined history being an additional part of the storyline, and not just a story that happened to be set in New Orleans. They tried real hard to make it seem real, but it felt hollow and inauthentic. None of the main cast is from New Orleans, in fact none of them are even from the South. Cranston and the mob guy are Californians, Whitlock is from Indiana, Landecker from Chicago and Tierney from Boston. 

The show was worth the watch, but I would watch Cranston in anything. 

Finished Fringe.  Pretty good series - wavered towards the end like a lot of series.

12 Monkeys (series not movie) or Person of Interest?

after a break of course

Finished Fringe.  Pretty good series - wavered towards the end like a lot of series.

12 Monkeys (series not movie) or Person of Interest?

after a break of course
Person of Interest was a very solid show that got overlooked being on network TV IMO.  Caveziel was very believable as the ex-military badass and Emerson was excellent as the quiet genius.  I watched POI before Lost, so seeing him as Linus after only knowing him as Finch was really a "whoa he's got range" feeling.  Definitely worth a watch

Just watched the series Kingdom about MMA fighting family.  I thought it was really well done.   3 seasons.   Good character building.  Was sad to see it only had 3 seasons.    Frank Grillo, Kiele Sanchez, Jonathan Tucker
Based on recommendations herein, we also just finished the 3 seasons of KINGDOM.  It was pretty good, although i could do without the IV drug use in nearly every episode.  I abhor that kind of stuff and literally would walk into the next room until the scene is over.
Also, the use of alcohol 🍸per episode is off the charts  (blow too).   Someone should create a drinking game set to this series (probably not a good idea).
I too wish that they would continue the series......i did read that most of the actors approached said that they wanted things to continue.  They had so many storylines left in the tank to explore.

Also in the cast: Nick Jonas (from the Jonas brothers)   and Brian Callen (known for playing "Coach Mellor" on the Goldbergs)
Didn't know about this:
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2551635/the-goldbergs-bryan-callen-accused-of-sexual-assault-and-misconduct-by-multiple-women

VIKINGS:   I don't believe that's entirely true. True events maybe but not real people. A young Alfred who appears in later seasons of Vikings is the same King Alfred in Last Kingdom. All of King  Alfred's family in Last Kingdom were real people. 
Last April, during lockdown we got 5 sets of couples in our neighborhood and we decided to watch VIKINGS from the start.  Every week or so, we would decide to watch 5 or 6 episodes and then meet in the backyard of someone in the group (BYOB, BYoChair to keep social distance).  Anyways, at some point in time, my wife and i got nominated to lead the group discussion.  Since both my wife and i like history and we were already going down rabbit holes, we would assemble & interject some of the real historical facts or what was fiction.....or in most cases, it seems like the writer would bend the timeline (grab real historical figures, but from expanded timelines).   I remember subscribing to a couple of different podcast that gave some of this info while discussing the episodes.

finished Fargo season 4.  Liked it, didn’t love it.  Feel like it had more potential. More Olyphant please.

Watched Fauda episode 1.  Pretty good I’ll stick with it.

We started Ep 1 of The Third Day on hbo, but tired out before the end.

Is it worth watching? I was liking Jude Law's performance, but it was feeling a bit too overtly Wickerman to want to continue.

Haven't watched the Vikings show mentioned above but if it's half as good as Norsemen I might have to add to the list.

I'm finally watching Band of Brothers. Tough to watch but darn good.
I finished watching this last weekend. I had watched the Pacific first as I'd heard it wasn't as good as Band of Brothers. I found I liked the Pacific better, though (because?) it was even grittier, darker and more relentless than Band Of Brothers. I also think I liked the Pacific better because they streamlined the focus to mainly 3 characters, which I think gave a bit more depth to the story overall and a bit more impact to the outcomes they experienced, particularly emotionally. 

I think the episode (Band of Brothers) focusing on the medic was my favorite of the series.

I came away from both with a reinforced opinion that we as a species really need to work harder on eliminating war from our repertoire.

I finished watching this last weekend. I had watched the Pacific first as I'd heard it wasn't as good as Band of Brothers. I found I liked the Pacific better, though (because?) it was even grittier, darker and more relentless than Band Of Brothers. I also think I liked the Pacific better because they streamlined the focus to mainly 3 characters, which I think gave a bit more depth to the story overall and a bit more impact to the outcomes they experienced, particularly emotionally. 

I think the episode (Band of Brothers) focusing on the medic was my favorite of the series.

I came away from both with a reinforced opinion that we as a species really need to work harder on eliminating war from our repertoire.
Tldr...pacific better than band of brothers? This means war!

Finally finished justified. One of the best final scenes in tv history imo. 

Great great show but it was a little bloated and got away from the story at times. Thoroughly enjoyed it though. Was shocked to Goggins was only nominated once and never won for Boyd. I don’t look that stuff up while watching shows to avoid spoilers and figured he won multiple times. The emmys really and truly are the worst. 

If you're in the mood for a pre-WWII British historical drama based on a true story involving an archaeology site, The Dig on Netflix is pretty good.  
Yup, looking forward to this one.  Have tried to start it a few times, but my wife overruled me.  I might just watch it on my own.  I love movies like this.  :nerd:

Users who are viewing this thread