What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Tebow - 8.17.21 Waived By Jacksonville (1 Viewer)

Ok, if Tebow is such a good runner why not have Orton and Tebow on the field at the same time. Why not roll out a 2TE set with 2QB? You could call it the ZOMGTEB0W set or something?What could possibly go wrong?
Orton throws an interception?
Tebow throws an interception?
Tebow - 1 interception in 105 attemptsOrton - 7 interceptions n 155 attempts
Tebow would have had more picks if the DBs were standing by the hot dog guy in the 5th row.

Ok, if Tebow is such a good runner why not have Orton and Tebow on the field at the same time. Why not roll out a 2TE set with 2QB? You could call it the ZOMGTEB0W set or something?What could possibly go wrong?
Orton throws an interception?
Tebow throws an interception?
Tebow - 1 interception in 105 attemptsOrton - 7 interceptions n 155 attempts
Tebow would have had more picks if the DBs were standing by the hot dog guy in the 5th row.
I know. Instead of throwing it out of bounds, he should throw it to the defense. He needs to work on that.

I know. Instead of throwing it out of bounds, he should throw it to the defense. He needs to work on that.
You can be facetious if you want, but the simple posting of the INT numbers doesn't tell the story. Sincerely, what happens when teams stop the option? Or do you think it is not possible, and college football has been hiding in plain sight this unstoppable play?

You can be facetious if you want, but the simple posting of the INT numbers doesn't tell the story. Sincerely, what happens when teams stop the option? Or do you think it is not possible, and college football has been hiding in plain sight this unstoppable play?
16-29 308 yards

16-29 308 yards
Nah, I think he'll throw more than 29 passes. There are 7 games left. He'll throw at least 40 the rest of the year.

I agree that Tebow will eventually have to throw, and we'll see if he's got enough in him to stick in the league. the bolded actually does have some truth to it, though - the spread option's not unstoppable, but it can be a very effective offensive style with the right personnel. It really has been sort of hiding in plain sight because almost nobody in the league's had the balls (or stupidity, depending on your perspective) to employ it for fear of getting the QB hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
16-29 308 yards
Nah, I think he'll throw more than 29 passes. There are 7 games left. He'll throw at least 40 the rest of the year.
40 for the rest of the year? So, you're saying the Broncos won't lose another game? Wow, you're pretty high on the Broncos.

16-29 308 yards
I am not massraider and this banter is entertaining. From afar you can see the tebow homerism like flies on ####.

16-29 308 yards
40 for the rest of the year? So, you're saying the Broncos won't lose another game? Wow, you're pretty high on the Broncos.
No, I man 40, total. For the rest of the year. I think 6+ passes a game is doable for Tebow.

16-29 308 yards
No, I man 40, total. For the rest of the year. I think 6+ passes a game is doable for Tebow.
Right. If he only passes 6 times that probably means they won the game since they will have to pass if they fall behind.

What happens if Tebow plays well enough to remain the starter in 2012? I have to imagine the Broncos would still try to bring in a young QB to groom for the future. But they're not going to want said QB to learn the Tebow offense. How would they develop a young QB when there's zero chance he'd be successful in the offense they're running now?

What happens if Tebow plays well enough to remain the starter in 2012? I have to imagine the Broncos would still try to bring in a young QB to groom for the future. But they're not going to want said QB to learn the Tebow offense. How would they develop a young QB when there's zero chance he'd be successful in the offense they're running now?
Griffin? I doubt it though.

Well, it's not as though they burned the playbook they were using when Orton was under center. I don't see any reason you couldn't have a hybrid offense featuring QBBC. Go ahead and draft a QB next year. Bring him along slowly with the intent that by midseason, it's an offense that splits it 70:30 in favor of Tebow and by midseason in year #2 is splitting it 70:30 in favor of your then second year QB. I would think TEbow would be even more effective in this type of role.

(TheHuddle) Denver Broncos head coach John Fox stated that he will do whatever it takes with QB Tim Tebow in the offense to put the team in a situation to win games, including running the ball 55 times against the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 10. 'Do whatever the hell it takes,' Fox laughed. 'I mean, what the hell? You don't get points for style in this league. Let me tell you something: My man is really good in this offense. You know what I mean? If we were trying to run a regular offense, he'd be screwed.'

Analysis: For a regime that inherited Tebow, they've done a reasonably good job handling the "pressure" from the fans, media, and various Tebow believers who think he's skilled enough as a quarterback in the NFL to actually start and win games. Of course, it says a lot when the head coach is laughing and saying "what the Hell" when asked about his quarterback's play. That said, Tebow will continue to be an interesting fantasy option based on his upside, which of course includes his ability to run the ball.

(TheHuddle) Denver Broncos head coach John Fox stated that he will do whatever it takes with QB Tim Tebow in the offense to put the team in a situation to win games, including running the ball 55 times against the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 10. 'Do whatever the hell it takes,' Fox laughed. 'I mean, what the hell? You don't get points for style in this league. Let me tell you something: My man is really good in this offense. You know what I mean? If we were trying to run a regular offense, he'd be screwed.'

Analysis: For a regime that inherited Tebow, they've done a reasonably good job handling the "pressure" from the fans, media, and various Tebow believers who think he's skilled enough as a quarterback in the NFL to actually start and win games. Of course, it says a lot when the head coach is laughing and saying "what the Hell" when asked about his quarterback's play. That said, Tebow will continue to be an interesting fantasy option based on his upside, which of course includes his ability to run the ball.
Not a ringing endorsemnt for success.For some reason it took 9 weeks for DC's to take sCam's game apart.

"[Newton] holds the ball," said defensive tackle Jurrell Casey. "If a quarterback is going to hold onto the ball like that, we're going to get to him. We kept him in the pocket. He couldn't do anything but sit there. Having the spy on him meant he couldn't run, and our guys got to him."

No idea why it took this long. All ya had to do is bring up some Vince Young tape. I knew the key to shutting that guy down from his 1st week in the league. The tebowcat will be shut down in a similar manner.

Not a ringing endorsemnt for success.For some reason it took 9 weeks for DC's to take sCam's game apart.

"[Newton] holds the ball," said defensive tackle Jurrell Casey. "If a quarterback is going to hold onto the ball like that, we're going to get to him. We kept him in the pocket. He couldn't do anything but sit there. Having the spy on him meant he couldn't run, and our guys got to him."

No idea why it took this long. All ya had to do is bring up some Vince Young tape. I knew the key to shutting that guy down from his 1st week in the league. The tebowcat will be shut down in a similar manner.
Yep, I'm sure Cam is done now. Oh well...sell high while you can - the DCs have figured it out. Maybe you can still trade Cam for Tebow - I mean he has to have at least a week or two before they solve him, right?Sharks indeed.

so simple, right? I wonder why KC or oakland didn't simply put a spy on tebow to keep him from scrambling.

Good readhttp://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d824253ac/article/smart-like-a-fox-broncos-coach-adapts-to-tebows-strengths
thanks for posting this - it is a good read. Folks, the spread option in Denver is here to stay for the remainder of 2011. I wasn't clear on that until reading this...I was thinking it was an anomaly - a 1 1/2 game outlier. Reading this from Fox says that he is really, honestly, working to make the spread option work in the NFL.honestly, I think it just might work too. Here's the thing: these players have been doing this for just two weeks now. They had 8 spread option plays in for the oakland game. Vs KC, they added a triple option. I'm sure we will see some new wrinkles vs NYJ on Thursday.NY, by the way, has only a day and a half to prepare for this. It will be interesting to see how they approach it. If Denver can pull off a W here, they will actually be in a good spot to fight for the division title.Beyond 2011, however, it's an open book... Part of me is hoping Fox commits to it and drafts more complementary players, including viable back-up QB's who can be had on the cheap later on in the draft. That's one competitive advantage being the only option team in the NFL - less salary cap will be tied up (in theory) at the QB position, allowing the Broncos to spend more resources addressing defensive needs.

I just wish Tebow wasn't such a ########. Trying to trade him to Schaub owner for his third RB, Gore, and he won't take him because he doesn't like him. Wow this thing edited the word for "a piece of equipment for douching—a bag for holding the fluid used in douching." That's some unnecessary censorship, I'd say.

All who doubt in The Tebow need to repent. Thy faith in The Tebow is strong and thou faith shall be too. He who doubts The Tebow shall repent. Now, let us pray.

Folks, the spread option in Denver is here to stay for the remainder of 2011. I wasn't clear on that until reading this...I was thinking it was an anomaly - a 1 1/2 game outlier. Reading this from Fox says that he is really, honestly, working to make the spread option work in the NFL.
It's obviously Denver's best chance to win games.Theoretically, they could get a better wide receiver and tight end instead of trading away their best one (Brandon Lloyd) for practically nothing. That move alone should cost Elway his job.

Folks, the spread option in Denver is here to stay for the remainder of 2011. I wasn't clear on that until reading this...I was thinking it was an anomaly - a 1 1/2 game outlier. Reading this from Fox says that he is really, honestly, working to make the spread option work in the NFL.
It's obviously Denver's best chance to win games.Theoretically, they could get a better wide receiver and tight end instead of trading away their best one (Brandon Lloyd) for practically nothing. That move alone should cost Elway his job.
Or not. That's why Elway is a VP of football operations and you're not. Good move to get something rather than nothing as LLoyd is a free agent at the end of the year and had planned to walk.

Or not. That's why Elway is a VP of football operations and you're not. Good move to get something rather than nothing as LLoyd is a free agent at the end of the year and had planned to walk.
Yeah, because 5th round practice squad backups are so much more valuable than developing your young QB and possibly winning a division title.Decker and Royal are both quick, good route runners with sub-par ball skills. They fit much better with a precision quarterback. Tebow, meanwhile, is certainly no precision quarterback but excels at putting the ball in a place that gives his receiver the advantage in making a play on it. That happens to be exactly what Brandon Lloyd excels at. The post route early in the KC game that Decker failed to come up with is a perfect example of this. Tebow's not going to hit him in stride every time but he put the ball on the inside of Decker when the DB was on Decker's outside hip, meaning he should have easily been able to box him out and come down with that ball. Brandon Lloyd catches that ball every time.

Brandon Lloyd was the perfect fit for Tebow, and in just a few games Tebow had clearly already developed a level of comfort with him. Sending him packing in exchange for a guy that has about a 3% chance of ever even stepping onto the field in a regular season game for the Broncos was just asinine and shows that it's every bit as likely that Elway is the one in over his head.

Good point about Dennis Dixon above. I wonder how many talented college QBs have never gotten the chance to do in the NFL what they are doing for Tebow.

Also - trivia question: when was the last time an NFL QB completed just 2 passes, played a whole game, and won that game?

I do not know the answer to that but it has to be at least pre-1950 and probably more like pre-1940.
Not quite an answer to your question but.....from footballguys newsBroncos | Tim Tebow makes history in Week 10 Mon Nov 14, 08:54 AM

Denver Broncos QB Tim Tebow became the first quarterback with more rushes than passes in a game in which he threw every pass for his team since 1974. Tebow had eight pass attempts and nine rushing attempts in Week 10.

Our view: Broncos head coach John Fox said the team's gameplan to continuously run the ball is not an indictment on Tebow as a passer. The Chiefs simply couldn't stop the run, so the Broncos kept going back to the well. Out of Tebow's 6 incompletions, 5 of those passes hit the hands of his receivers.

The last sentence is a joke: In regards to the first long pass to Decker It should say it hit hands of the receiver after being batted around by the defender on a miseribly underthrown ball
no, his second deep throw to Decker was underthrown badly. His first long throw to him was right in the breadbasket and hit Decker's hands - the DB came over his back and made a great play to swat it out of Decker's grasp.Tebow made two bad throws yesterday - the second deep ball to Decker and a third down out route to the TE where he threw it in the dirt several yards short. Everything else was catchable.

from watching the games it looks like Tebow's accuracy is starting to improve slightly. I'm not sure if it's enough to move the ball consistently yet, though - the Jets will be a big test Thursday night.
interesting - somebody put up a Youtube video of Tebow's 8 throws from Sunday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjzIShKrZ9Iafter watching them again, I feel the same as I did when I posted above - only looks like two bad throws in there, the second deep ball to Decker and the one he put in the dirt on that out route. The others all look like pretty good passes to me.

Good point about Dennis Dixon above. I wonder how many talented college QBs have never gotten the chance to do in the NFL what they are doing for Tebow.

Also - trivia question: when was the last time an NFL QB completed just 2 passes, played a whole game, and won that game?

I do not know the answer to that but it has to be at least pre-1950 and probably more like pre-1940.
Not quite an answer to your question but.....from footballguys newsBroncos | Tim Tebow makes history in Week 10 Mon Nov 14, 08:54 AM

Denver Broncos QB Tim Tebow became the first quarterback with more rushes than passes in a game in which he threw every pass for his team since 1974. Tebow had eight pass attempts and nine rushing attempts in Week 10.

Our view: Broncos head coach John Fox said the team's gameplan to continuously run the ball is not an indictment on Tebow as a passer. The Chiefs simply couldn't stop the run, so the Broncos kept going back to the well. Out of Tebow's 6 incompletions, 5 of those passes hit the hands of his receivers.

The last sentence is a joke: In regards to the first long pass to Decker It should say it hit hands of the receiver after being batted around by the defender on a miseribly underthrown ball
no, his second deep throw to Decker was underthrown badly. His first long throw to him was right in the breadbasket and hit Decker's hands - the DB came over his back and made a great play to swat it out of Decker's grasp.Tebow made two bad throws yesterday - the second deep ball to Decker and a third down out route to the TE where he threw it in the dirt several yards short. Everything else was catchable.

from watching the games it looks like Tebow's accuracy is starting to improve slightly. I'm not sure if it's enough to move the ball consistently yet, though - the Jets will be a big test Thursday night.
interesting - somebody put up a Youtube video of Tebow's 8 throws from Sunday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjzIShKrZ9Iafter watching them again, I feel the same as I did when I posted above - only looks like two bad throws in there, the second deep ball to Decker and the one he put in the dirt on that out route. The others all look like pretty good passes to me.
That second deep throw to Decker was underthrown for sure. The one he put in the dirt, if you read the Fox interview article, was supposedly the smartest move he made all day throwing it into the dirt.And Lloyd catches both the first Decker deep ball and Royal deep ball 9/10 times.

'FreeBaGeL said:
'shredhead said:
'CravenM said:
'moleculo said:
Yeah, because 5th round practice squad backups are so much more valuable than developing your young QB and possibly winning a division title.Decker and Royal are both quick, good route runners with sub-par ball skills. They fit much better with a precision quarterback. Tebow, meanwhile, is certainly no precision quarterback but excels at putting the ball in a place that gives his receiver the advantage in making a play on it. That happens to be exactly what Brandon Lloyd excels at. The post route early in the KC game that Decker failed to come up with is a perfect example of this. Tebow's not going to hit him in stride every time but he put the ball on the inside of Decker when the DB was on Decker's outside hip, meaning he should have easily been able to box him out and come down with that ball. Brandon Lloyd catches that ball every time.

Brandon Lloyd was the perfect fit for Tebow, and in just a few games Tebow had clearly already developed a level of comfort with him. Sending him packing in exchange for a guy that has about a 3% chance of ever even stepping onto the field in a regular season game for the Broncos was just asinine and shows that it's every bit as likely that Elway is the one in over his head.
Oddly enough, I think the Broncos DO have another WR who is a big target who has great ball skills - D. Thomas. I think after this offseason, once he and Tebow have had time to work together and Thomas is fully healed up, things could be very different in terms of WR pecking order. In fact, if Revis is locking down Decker, I could see Thomas making a big play or two in the passing game Thursday.

Oddly enough, I think the Broncos DO have another WR who is a big target who has great ball skills - D. Thomas. I think after this offseason, once he and Tebow have had time to work together and Thomas is fully healed up, things could be very different in terms of WR pecking order. In fact, if Revis is locking down Decker, I could see Thomas making a big play or two in the passing game Thursday.
Poor Demaryius. He goes to Georgia Tech, redshirts, then only gets to play one year in a traditional offense before PJ shows up and installs the triple option. Then last year he only gets to play 9 games due to injury, and this year by the time he's healthy his team is running the spread option.

Poor Demaryius. He goes to Georgia Tech, redshirts, then only gets to play one year in a traditional offense before PJ shows up and installs the triple option. Then last year he only gets to play 9 games due to injury, and this year by the time he's healthy his team is running the spread option.
I was thinking about this today, shouldn't DT be out there more? When the WRs aren't run blocking, they are running 50 yards downfield. Who is more perfect for that than DT? That's all he did in college.

'shnikies said:
"If we were trying to run a regular offense, he'd be screwed." :lmao:
"If Tom Brady tried to run a spread option offense, he'd be screwed." :lmao:
Dude are you related to Tebow? Did you read Coach Fox comments? "After the loss to Detroit, we decided if Tim is going to be our guy, we can't do that other crap," Fox said. "We had to tweak it."The other crap being passing the football.

Does this sound like a QB they are going to build their future on? The only reason Tebow is in there now is because the fans wanted him and the Bronco organization wants to make money off those fans. Once the fans realize The Tebow is a novelty and cannot be taken seriously they will turn on him and.... on to the next QB.

I was thinking about this today, shouldn't DT be out there more? When the WRs aren't run blocking, they are running 50 yards downfield. Who is more perfect for that than DT? That's all he did in college.
:goodposting: Ironically, the Broncos already had drafted a WR who is the perfect compliment to Tebow and the read-option offense....he's just been banged up.

Just hypothesizing here but...maybe the Broncos traded Lloyd knowing 2 things:

1) They were going to lose him to FA anyway - and there is no way he would stay catching only 2-3 passes/game in the offense they're running now (better something for him than nothing)

2) They already had WRs in D. Thomas and Decker (and Royal to an extent) and a good TE that were a good fit for the offense (not only fast and big with a good catch radius but good run blockers) - and made less money.

'shnikies said:
Dude are you related to Tebow? Did you read Coach Fox comments? "After the loss to Detroit, we decided if Tim is going to be our guy, we can't do that other crap," Fox said. "We had to tweak it."The other crap being passing the football.

Does this sound like a QB they are going to build their future on? The only reason Tebow is in there now is because the fans wanted him and the Bronco organization wants to make money off those fans. Once the fans realize The Tebow is a novelty and cannot be taken seriously they will turn on him and.... on to the next QB.
I'm confused. What about my comment isn't true? I like how that quote was posted without the other quote, "My man is really good in this offense."

interesting - somebody put up a Youtube video of Tebow's 8 throws from Sunday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjzIShKrZ9I

after watching them again, I feel the same as I did when I posted above - only looks like two bad throws in there, the second deep ball to Decker and the one he put in the dirt on that out route. The others all look like pretty good passes to me.
I'd say only one really bad pass. The one where he imitated McNabb. However I think he was just making fun of McNabb. No one can throw a pass like that without it being on purpose. The SOB. Everyone has underthrown a deep receiver at some point so he can have a pass on that. Dude should be tossing the rock all over the place. Damn coaching staff is holding this guy back. Expect a bigtime breakout performance Thursday night. He should be started in all leagues.

'shnikies said:

I'm confused. What about my comment isn't true? I like how that quote was posted without the other quote, "My man is really good in this offense."
Didn't say it wasn't.Basically what I said was you are uncomfortbaly infactuated with Tebow to the point you cannot be reasoned with.

'shnikies said:

Didn't say it wasn't.Basically what I said was you are uncomfortbaly infactuated with Tebow to the point you cannot be reasoned with.
:lmao:

'shnikies said:

First, what is uncomfortbaly infactuated? Second, what?

First play from scrimmage:

Play action, fake hand-off.

Demarius Thomas GO route.

Timmy heaves it 60 yards downfield

It's gonna be glorious...

:jawdrop:

'FreeBaGeL said:
Decker and Royal are both quick, good route runners with sub-par ball skills. They fit much better with a precision quarterback.
This is not even close to true. I know, as a Bronco fan, because during the draft every year I have my laptop up and read about every guy we draft. I research any player we aquire via FA or trade as well. Decker, in fact, is almost the exact opposite of what you say he is. Let me quote few lines used often about Decker when describing his game (my comments in italics afterwards):
[*]Great hands and ball skills - not "sub-par"

[*]Shows ability to adjust to poorly thrown balls - if this doesn't scream "Tebow" I don't know what does

[*]Elite concentration when ball is in the air - see above

[*]Above average body control when ball is in the air - a good thing for "challenging" catches

[*]Takes advantage of his size well - He's 6' 2 1/2" and it's well known that Tebow likes larger WRs. Lloyd is only 6'

Decker is not super-fast and doesn't have a lot of "upside" according to scouting reports which is why he didn't go higher in the draft (he had an injury too - although he still went 3rd round).

It was also well known here in Denver that Lloyd wasn't too thrilled that Orton wasn't starting anymore. He wasn't the only one, either. Orton had a LOT of supporters on the team - much of it because he was being so unfairly treated by the fans here. Lloyd loved Orton throwing him the ball and wanted it to continue, according local media. He loved Orton in Chicago and loved him in Denver. Tebow knew Lloyd wasn't happy.

As for the rest of your post - Elway's handled this situation great so far here in Denver and has done well in other areas as well (which I can go into if you so desire). Lloyd was not a great fit for Tebow especially since Tebow knew he wasn't too fond of the QB switch in the first place.

I'm not a Tebow hater or lover. But fabricating "facts" to show that Elway and Fox are making mistakes is what we need less of when discussing Tebow - not more.

This is not even close to true. I know, as a Bronco fan, because during the draft every year I have my laptop up and read about every guy we draft. I research any player we aquire via FA or trade as well. Decker, in fact, is almost the exact opposite of what you say he is. Let me quote few lines used often about Decker when describing his game (my comments in italics afterwards):

[*]Great hands and ball skills - not "sub-par"

[*]Shows ability to adjust to poorly thrown balls - if this doesn't scream "Tebow" I don't know what does

[*]Elite concentration when ball is in the air - see above

[*]Above average body control when ball is in the air - a good thing for "challenging" catches

[*]Takes advantage of his size well - He's 6' 2 1/2" and it's well known that Tebow likes larger WRs. Lloyd is only 6'
I could give two spits about what the scouting reports say. I've followed him closely in the NFL and those reports are wrong. Before you come back with the typical "I'll trust the guys that get paid to do it for a living", I'll just go ahead and pre-retort that those guys are wrong at least half the time anyway, and save you the list of examples.NFL scouts and coaches are not nearly the geniuses that people think they are. I've spent much of my life around what many would consider "high level" football personalities and the majority of them just happened into the gig through circumstance. I'm not joking when I say that many of the "top" posters here (like SSOG and some of the staff) are better scouts than many actual scouts. The scouts that said that about Decker are the same ones that said Tebow's throwing motion would lead to him being stripped during his throwing motion every other play (one fumble during his throwing motion in 7.5 NFL games is among the league's best, and he had one in his entire senior year at Florida playing in the SEC), said Vince Young's throwing motion would cause to an inordinate number of balls being batted down at the line, and said Percy Harvin's ball skills were "raw" (they weren't).

Regardless of how smooth Decker's hands looked when running around at the combine, any time there is a DB challenging the ball in the NFL he fails to come up with it, even when he has the better position.

Users who are viewing this thread