What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Future of Darren Sproles in Bolt Land (1 Viewer)

Englishteacher

Footballguy
Will Sproles be around in San Diego in 2011?

He should keep Matthews out of the Top 10 this year but I believe if Sproles leaves Matthews is destined for #1 stud back land.

Aside from a short stretch in the playoffs a couple of years ago, the Chargers have consistently mis-used Sproles. They should treat him like the Saints treat Bush and get him out in space. He's not a feature back, but he's damn effective with the ball.

Aside from a short stretch in the playoffs a couple of years ago, the Chargers have consistently mis-used Sproles. They should treat him like the Saints treat Bush and get him out in space. He's not a feature back, but he's damn effective with the ball.
He's so explosive -- can take a 3 yard dump off and take it to the house. I have no idea how they'll use him, but I think they should attempt to get him the ball 8-12 times a game, which would be like Bush.

He's so explosive -- can take a 3 yard dump off and take it to the house. I have no idea how they'll use him, but I think they should attempt to get him the ball 8-12 times a game, which would be like Bush.
Posted this in another thread this offseason:Sproles was the primary guy for two games. He averaged 103 total yards on 13.5 touches those two weeks. He put up 150 total yards in one of the two games when he was the guy.

Compare that to LT's 13 games (threw out week 17 where he only had three touches) where he averaged 18+ touches for 66 total yards....and LT had two games over 100 total yards, one at 100 even and another at 117.

Sproles' Per Game Average with 7+ touches:

8.8 rushes

3.3 recepts

73 Total Yards

.77 TD

Sproles' Per Game Average with 6 or fewer touches:

2 Carries

2.1 Recepts

27 Total Yards

0 TD

If Sproles gets 10-12 touches per game, he'll be a nice PPR play. Unfortunately, Turner said he sees Matthews getting 250 carries & 40 recepts, which is 18 plus touches/game. We'll see how things pan out this year, but if Turner's forecast is accurate, Sproles probably won't get enough touches to have much value, even in PPR leagues.

They targeted him 57 times in the passing game last year. With Gates, Jackson, other WRs, and other RBs, I'm not sure how reasonable it is to expect the Chargers to target him more often. Sproles had 8+ touches in 8 games last year... the same number of times as Bush. Overall, he had 93 carries and 45 catches... more touches than Bush.As for whether or not he'll be in San Diego next year, I doubt it. He definitely isn't worth the franchise tag, and he wasn't worth it last year either. IIRC, from 2008 to 2009, his averages (ypc, ypr, yards per kickoff return, yards per punt return) all dropped, and he only scored 1 more TD despite getting roughly 30% more opportunities (rushing attempts, receptions, returns). In particular, he really fell off as a rusher, dropping from 5.4 ypc in 2008 to 3.7 ypc in 2009. Granted, the run blocking was lousy, but that's still quite a dropoff.Fortunately for Sproles, LT fell off a cliff at the same time and was released... needing to replace LT made it more justifiable for San Diego to tag Sproles again, to avoid having to replace the entire backfield in one year. But IMO to stick around for 2011, he'll have to take a massive pay cut unless Matthews flops or suffers a major injury.

Great COP guy, third down back, special teams stud.

It's pretty simple. He is not an all season every down guy in the NFL.

Will Sproles be around in San Diego in 2011?He should keep Matthews out of the Top 10 this year but I believe if Sproles leaves Matthews is destined for #1 stud back land.
well, I think sproles fate is 100% tied to how good Matthews is.if Matthews can be a bell cow RB and has better receiving skills than advertised, sproles will be used almost exclusively as a scat back and will be gone within a year.otherwise, we could be looking at a RBBC.

Posted this in another thread this offseason:Sproles was the primary guy for two games. He averaged 103 total yards on 13.5 touches those two weeks. He put up 150 total yards in one of the two games when he was the guy.

Compare that to LT's 13 games (threw out week 17 where he only had three touches) where he averaged 18+ touches for 66 total yards....and LT had two games over 100 total yards, one at 100 even and another at 117.

8.8 rushes

3.3 recepts

73 Total Yards

.77 TD

2 Carries

2.1 Recepts

27 Total Yards

0 TD

If Sproles gets 10-12 touches per game, he'll be a nice PPR play. Unfortunately, Turner said he sees Matthews getting 250 carries & 40 recepts, which is 18 plus touches/game. We'll see how things pan out this year, but if Turner's forecast is accurate, Sproles probably won't get enough touches to have much value, even in PPR leagues.
IMO these numbers don't tell the whole story. His two starts:vs. BAL: 10/26/0 rushing and 7/124/1 receiving (he caught an 81 yard TD pass)

vs. MIA: 18/41/0 rushing and 2/14/0 receiving

Big difference when he doesn't break a long TD. 20 touches for 55 yards at home is pretty bad.

Also, your 7 touch cutoff is quite convenient for the point you were making... he only had 1 game all season with 7 touches, but he happened to score 3 of his 7 rushing/receiving TDs in that game.

8.8 rushes

3.3 recepts

73 Total Yards

.77 TD

2 Carries

2.1 Recepts

27 Total Yards

0 TD

IMO these numbers don't tell the whole story. His two starts:vs. BAL: 10/26/0 rushing and 7/124/1 receiving (he caught an 81 yard TD pass)

vs. MIA: 18/41/0 rushing and 2/14/0 receiving

Big difference when he doesn't break a long TD. 20 touches for 55 yards at home is pretty bad.

Also, your 7 touch cutoff is quite convenient for the point you were making... he only had 1 game all season with 7 touches, but he happened to score 3 of his 7 rushing/receiving TDs in that game.
All true, but I don't think it's fair to penalize him for scoring a long TD or gaining over 60 yards and 3 TD's on 7 touches in one game because that is part of the point. He is a playmaker, he needs more opportunities to make them than just 4-5 touches from LOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
All true, but I don't think it's fair to penalize him for scoring a long TD or gaining over 60 yards and 3 TD's on 7 touches in one game because that is part of the point. He is a playmaker, he needs more opportunities to make them than just 4-5 touches from LOS.
He's not being punished for scoring 3 TDs on 7 touches; you are being called out for cherry-picking statistics to prove your point. (What a shock, coming from HK). Obviously the stats show that Sproles should never be given more than 7 touches.

I decided to cut bait on Sproles in a non-PPR (I took a 3rd rounder in 2011) because I think he'll never be used to his potential.

Best case scenario for him would be to be let go at the end of the year and end up somewhere like Philly because Reid knows how to a pass catching back.

Here's a stat for you: When Sproles got 6 or more carries in a game in 2009, he averaged 2.63 yards per carry on 69 carries with 1 TD.

Here's a stat for you: When Sproles got 6 or more carries in a game in 2009, he averaged 2.63 yards per carry on 69 carries with 1 TD.
...to go along with 25 receptions for 313 yards and another 2 TD's in thoses 7 games where the Chargers went 6-1.That's an average of 71 yards/game from LOS on 13.5 touches.

Englishteacher said:
Will Sproles be around in San Diego in 2011?
Pretty doubtful.I suspect that franchising Sproles this season (as opposed to letting him walk) was a close decision, and they ended up franchising him in part because of the trade opportunities it might have presented.I doubt they'll franchise him again next season (if a new CBA even allows for a franchise tag).So he'll be on the open market and go to the highest bidder. I think that's unlikely to be the Chargers.

CalBear said:
H.K. said:
Just Win Baby said:
He's not being punished for scoring 3 TDs on 7 touches; you are being called out for cherry-picking statistics to prove your point. (What a shock, coming from HK). Obviously the stats show that Sproles should never be given more than 7 touches.
LOL. The truth is that the SD OL was awful at run blocking and whether it was LT falling off a cliff or not, nobody was running effectively behind the line last year. Sproles has the big play in him and I agree using him like Bush is the logical use of his talent.

for the SD homers (or anyone else that has been able to see him play a lot): What are his dynasty ceiling and floor? Factoring in that he may end up in a better (or worse) situation next year too. He was being touted in some circles as the best FA RB available till SD slapped the franchise tag on him. Now it seems he's considered a CoP back only. So barring major injury, is he capable of more, or is he already in an ideal situation for him?

for the SD homers (or anyone else that has been able to see him play a lot): What are his dynasty ceiling and floor? Factoring in that he may end up in a better (or worse) situation next year too. He was being touted in some circles as the best FA RB available till SD slapped the franchise tag on him. Now it seems he's considered a CoP back only. So barring major injury, is he capable of more, or is he already in an ideal situation for him?
I think that's more of a reflection of the FA Rb class this year.

I would be concerned with Sproles age at this point in dynasty.

If I could get decent value for him in a deal - I would trade him.

His value can only go down, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread