What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Sweet Science Thread*** (8 Viewers)

So, McGregor has to hope for a miracle tonight, right?  Catch Floyd on an off-night, maybe an early cut somewhere, throw Floyd off his game.  McGregor stays inside, tries to turn it from a boxing match into a slugfest, lots of clinching and grabbing, hoping to land a few decent shots, not letting Floyd jab and control the distance.  He surely can't try to outbox Floyd?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kamegai is getting pummeled but this guy has a chin of concrete. Cotto tagging him repeatedly with big hooks and this nut keeps running back in.

Kamegai's head must be made of cast iron. This dude has eaten 250 punches to the head, most of them power shots, and he's unfazed and not even really lumped up. And this is Miguel frigging Cotto hitting him, not some hump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kamegai fixing his hair mid-round. Miguel has to be in disbelief. He might grab the bell and start beating Kamegai with it.

McGregor exceeded my expectations for sure.  I had Mayweather winning clearly on the cards but there were some close rounds.  Once he started getting touched up he stopped defending himself adequately, and he got tired.  Some defensive training, some more stamina for a 12-round fight.....he's got a pretty jab early on, would love to see him box some more.

McGregor exceeded my expectations for sure.  I had Mayweather winning clearly on the cards but there were some close rounds.  Once he started getting touched up he stopped defending himself adequately, and he got tired.  Some defensive training, some more stamina for a 12-round fight.....he's got a pretty jab early on, would love to see him box some more.
I don't think he has enough time to catch up to someone legitimate, boxing-skill-wise. Even if he fought dopey Paulie, is he gonna make more money than if he fought UFC?

yes, yes, & yes.

good posting.

His counter punching was pretty impressive. He had some really nice shots on Floyd. I have a lot of respect for him, as a boxer, after watching that fight. May looked old and slow, but Mac took him to task before getting gassed.

The fight was ok. Not super awesome but not totally lame either. That's all it takes boxing. Get a great fighter, get some good personalities, have them talk #### and then go at it and just not be a total farce.

Was a fun time, will be getting people together to watch the GGG fight probably. 

His counter punching was pretty impressive. He had some really nice shots on Floyd. I have a lot of respect for him, as a boxer, after watching that fight. May looked old and slow, but Mac took him to task before getting gassed.
He did well, better than most ever would have expected. He was bigger, longer and awkward. However, after 2 or 3 rounds, he had nothing on those punches and he was really just slapping, pawing. He could possibly be an effective boxer, but he's just not in proper condition for boxing. 

The fight was ok. Not super awesome but not totally lame either. That's all it takes boxing. Get a great fighter, get some good personalities, have them talk #### and then go at it and just not be a total farce.

Was a fun time, will be getting people together to watch the GGG fight probably. 
Everyone that watched it after our draft had fun and seemed to feel it somewhat lived up to the hype. GGG-Canelo will almost certainly meet expectations. I can't imagine a scenario where that isn't an epic fight. 

So he trained starting March, no background.  What does he need to succeed?
A time machine. It takes years and years and years. Even after lengthy amateur careers, good pro fighters are brought along slowly. Top Rank's two big prospects who just went pro, Michael Conlan (also Irish!) and Shakur Stevenson, fight guys out of your local gym.

By the time you could build him up to be competitive, he'd start to age out. 

I think on the plus side for conor, he significantly improved his boxing skills and can take that back to the UFC and be even better over there.

A time machine. It takes years and years and years. Even after lengthy amateur careers, good pro fighters are brought along slowly. Top Rank's two big prospects who just went pro, Michael Conlan (also Irish!) and Shakur Stevenson, fight guys out of your local gym.

By the time you could build him up to be competitive, he'd start to age out. 
Ofcourse. It would be like the talk of Usain Bolt becoming an NFL WR a few years ago. At 6-5, 210 pounds and BLAZING speed he would be the greatest size-speed freak ever to play. He also would have none of the other qualities needed for the position. I imagine he would have had the career of a Kevin White. Injuries and no ability to do anything other than catch the ball at the LOS and try to run past everyone...which doesn't work in the NFL. 

PinkydaPimp said:
I think on the plus side for conor, he significantly improved his boxing skills and can take that back to the UFC and be even better over there.
I would guess thats probably it for him, boxing-wise. Dont begrudge the guy for grabbing the giant pile of money, but i dont think there is anywhere else to go but UFC. 

I am not sure if there is another fighter that generates interest, but Mcgregor could sell his MMA fans on this again. I think boxing fans would tune in to see Mcgregor get whooped again. 

Mac getting way too much respect.  Elite fighters have elite conditioning.  If he didn't have the drive before he made a crap-ton of cash, he never will. Never seen an athlete talk his way into such success.  He's got more ### whoopings in his future. 

I am not sure if there is another fighter that generates interest, but Mcgregor could sell his MMA fans on this again. I think boxing fans would tune in to see Mcgregor get whooped again. 
I don't think he'd make enough money to fight Paulie. There would be almost no ####s given from the boxing side of the street, and far fewer from the MMA side. I mean, I guess it'd prove there are some boxers -- retired. light-hitting ones -- that McGregor could be competitive with, but I don't think it'd build him further. At that point it'd seem like he was trying to avoid MMA.

He'd make more money fighting, say, a Canelo. But he'd also get blown out of the water in very short order.

I don't think he'd make enough money to fight Paulie. There would be almost no ####s given from the boxing side of the street, and far fewer from the MMA side. I mean, I guess it'd prove there are some boxers -- retired. light-hitting ones -- that McGregor could be competitive with, but I don't think it'd build him further. At that point it'd seem like he was trying to avoid MMA.

He'd make more money fighting, say, a Canelo. But he'd also get blown out of the water in very short order.
Good God...I can't imagine what would happen to Conor if he stepped in against Canelo or GGG.

MMA fans would definitely get what they wanted...i.e. watching Conor get actually knocked out.

http://www.boxingscene.com/malignaggi-mcgregor-lets-winner-takes-all-ill-stop-you--119982

“I’m all about it, man. I’ll make it winner-takes-all. I’m willing to risk fighting him for free just to punch him in the mouth again and again and again. That’s how confident I am they can’t beat me. A fighter is a fighter when faced with adversity. Anytime somebody gets Conor McGregor to that point of adversity in MMA or boxing, he punks out. You can’t teach that. Either you have balls or you don’t.”

How confident is Malignaggi? He is willing to stipulate to a clause that gives McGregor additional money if he's capable of lasting to the final bell.

“If Conor doesn’t get stopped by me – and I’m a guy who doesn’t get a lot of stoppages – if Conor doesn’t get stopped by me I should get penalized at least a portion of my purse just for not stopping the guy," Malignaggi said.

I had forgot the chocolatito vs rungvisai rematch is this weekend too!  Should be a good one if its anything like the last one!
Also David Benavidez fighting (and probably winning) his first world title on Friday night, the 168 lb WBC strap that Badou Jack left behind.  He is an extremely fun and explosive guy to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread