What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (2 Viewers)

Was able to get free ST Max, 3 months free HBO, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax, Epix, $200 Visa GC and XTRA package for $102 per month.

Not crazy about the cost for the XTRA programming, but I really wanted CBS Sports HD and XTRA is the cheapest pkg it comes in.

Guess this will do for a year until I do it again...unless you guys think I could call back and lower that programming charge even further? Thoughts on that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just made the call and told them to cancel me on 9/16 when my current billing cycle is over. They offered nothing. Now we wait, I guess.

Bit of a service nightmare.  

Long story short - took 1/2 day yesterday and from 8:30am-2:30pm today with the Tech at my house to simply get a dish mounted and my service operational. They had the tech on the phone getting the offshore call center run around for several hours after he got everything hooked up - what a poor setup!

And the amount my online account shows I am being billed is not what was agreed to.

SO, I will need to devote more time to this before it is resolved. The "notes" all show the correct number that I should be charged, but the "system" spits out a different number.

Needing a tech complicated my situation.  I will let the system settle down for a few days to before having the next round of billing calls to get everything straight. 

Not a customer friendly system. If it were not for the Sunday Ticket I would be long gone. 

I still have credits that are scheduled to roll off next month (because I called in September last year).  I was told when I called in to "cancel" that there wasn't anything they could do currently.  I had them remove the ST renew for now and am planning on waiting until next month (bill generates on the 6th) to call and cancel.  I hate that I have to wait until then to do this though.  If I call and set up a disconnect now, would I feasibly be able to get the same deals I would get next month since I'm guessing still under contract for a couple more weeks?

mmarsian said:
I still have credits that are scheduled to roll off next month (because I called in September last year).  I was told when I called in to "cancel" that there wasn't anything they could do currently.  I had them remove the ST renew for now and am planning on waiting until next month (bill generates on the 6th) to call and cancel.  I hate that I have to wait until then to do this though.  If I call and set up a disconnect now, would I feasibly be able to get the same deals I would get next month since I'm guessing still under contract for a couple more weeks?
You can certainly set up a disconnect and give it a shot. Certainly possible to get a deal since you are near the end of the credits. Otherwise, I would let it cancel on the 6th and then try. 

Was able to get free ST Max, 3 months free HBO, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax, Epix, $200 Visa GC and XTRA package for $102 per month.

Not crazy about the cost for the XTRA programming, but I really wanted CBS Sports HD and XTRA is the cheapest pkg it comes in.

Guess this will do for a year until I do it again...unless you guys think I could call back and lower that programming charge even further? Thoughts on that?
That does seem a bit high. What were you paying before? Did that come with a contract? 

i got the extra for 82.  strange. how many rec you got?  i got three

So I called back and I have to wait till my billing cycle is done and things shut down, then I can call back and get the deal. So I will miss week2 of the nfl season for the ticket. What a pain in the A## Att is now. I might let it ride and say good bye!

So I called back and I have to wait till my billing cycle is done and things shut down, then I can call back and get the deal. So I will miss week2 of the nfl season for the ticket. What a pain in the A## Att is now. I might let it ride and say good bye!
You could also just cancel and then call. Current credits, etc. don't seem to matter once you fully disconnect. 

I specifically call and complain that I want CBS Sports added and they can do it as a 1 off just to be nice if they really want to. They agreed to this probably 7 years ago and now when I call I specifically make sure to get them to say my deal is for the same channels I have now. Effectively I have the choice plus that one channel. 

I specifically call and complain that I want CBS Sports added and they can do it as a 1 off just to be nice if they really want to. They agreed to this probably 7 years ago and now when I call I specifically make sure to get them to say my deal is for the same channels I have now. Effectively I have the choice plus that one channel. 
Well you got a great grandfathered deal right there, I can't seem to get anywhere when I call back. "Unfortunately sir, there are no other promotions available for you at this time".

I am paying $46 more per month than I did last year for the XTRA package. So frustrating!

Been waiting a couple days for my final bill to drop and it hasn't for some reason. Will wait until next week some time probably to disconnect and play the game.

set disconnect date on about 25 July for 19 August when my current billing cycle ended on Choice Xtra Classic (normal $99/mo plus fees/taxes)....

called 18 August for retention deals prior to disconnect and there was nothing per rep....rep said to check back after disconnect for possible deals....

disconnect email received on 19 August but service ended up being disconnected on 20 August....

called today, 21 August, got $55/mo discount, free NFL ticket max, 3 months free Showtime/HBO and $200 Visa gift card with 1 year commitment....

number I used was 888-333-0804 and talked to Rockny

So, this was the first year I actually gave them the price I was looking for. In the past, I've just asked what they can do, they've offered something reasonable and I'd take it.

Since I was truly leaving and was getting YouTube TV for $50/month that would have what I needed, I told him flat out it needed to beat that or I wasn't coming back. It took a minute for him to offer me what I currently have (choice with 4 boxes, whole home DVR) for $43/month. He said he could upgrade me to Xtra because I said I was getting Fox Sports 2 with YTTV and he said he could do it for $47/month. I told him I wasn't paying $50 for the year (an extra $4/month) for 1 channel so he then dropped it to $42/month. When all that was done, I then asked for the $200 gift card. Put me on hold for 1 minute and came back confirming I'd get it. 

I think you need the mindset of really leaving and quoting an actual price like $50 with YTTV and make them beat it.  Just something to consider.

gianmarco said:
So, this was the first year I actually gave them the price I was looking for. In the past, I've just asked what they can do, they've offered something reasonable and I'd take it.

Since I was truly leaving and was getting YouTube TV for $50/month that would have what I needed, I told him flat out it needed to beat that or I wasn't coming back. It took a minute for him to offer me what I currently have (choice with 4 boxes, whole home DVR) for $43/month. He said he could upgrade me to Xtra because I said I was getting Fox Sports 2 with YTTV and he said he could do it for $47/month. I told him I wasn't paying $50 for the year (an extra $4/month) for 1 channel so he then dropped it to $42/month. When all that was done, I then asked for the $200 gift card. Put me on hold for 1 minute and came back confirming I'd get it. 

I think you need the mindset of really leaving and quoting an actual price like $50 with YTTV and make them beat it.  Just something to consider.
Contract? Movie channels? ST? 

Contract? Movie channels? ST? 
--No contract.

--Didn't ask for movie channels and I've recently declined them whenever offered anyway due to almost always getting charged after the promotion even when I cancel ahead of time and then waste time getting it refunded. I have Netflix and Prime, so not much need for them anyway.

--No ST but he told me to call in a couple weeks at end of preseason and I can probably get it added for free if I want. I don't care this year so not sure I'll bother. 

gianmarco said:

This kind of deal along with STMax Will persuade me to stay....    I previously had Choice pkg, 4 boxes Genie WH DVR for $19/month plus tax and fees (came to $27).  

My service cancelled at midnight.  I verifiied service was cancelled when I loggged into my account.  Says I have a $51 credit.  Assume they will just cut me a check and snail mail it to me if indeed they cannot win me back.

I just want Directv for the STMax.   I have Fioptics cable with all the channels I need already.  

--No contract.

--Didn't ask for movie channels and I've recently declined them whenever offered anyway due to almost always getting charged after the promotion even when I cancel ahead of time and then waste time getting it refunded. I have Netflix and Prime, so not much need for them anyway.

--No ST but he told me to call in a couple weeks at end of preseason and I can probably get it added for free if I want. I don't care this year so not sure I'll bother. 
Pretty sweet deal compared to what some folks have seen for monthly prices. 

There seems to be a lot more room to negotiate on the WINBACK deals. Some years, I felt like the deals were so good off the bat I didn't need to ask for anymore.

However, this year, I had to keep asking for things and going back and forth. I was on the phone a pretty long time. Way slower than before. By the time I got ST MAX, the GC, HBO, I didn't really want to debate on the monthly rate. Plus, I was pretty happy with getting ST MAX this year. I couldn't get it last year.

I called a few weeks ago and set a cancellation date of 8/24/19.  After making many calls to the various numbers provided in this thread, I finally spoke to someone yesterday when calling 855.407.4780.  The dude I spoke with was only offering a $40.00 discount per month, making my total bill around $144.00.  I declined.  I just called the same number today and talked to a very sweet southern lady.  She took my bill down from $184.00 per month to $91.00 per month.  I receive all movie channels free for 3 months.  I have to call before November 22nd to cancel whatever channels I don't want.  I'll keep HBO and Showtime, which will add around $30.00 to my monthly spend.  I have 5 receivers and the XTRA package.  She included the NFL Ticket MAX (includes Redzone channel) for free.  I also got the $200 gift card.  

Overall I'm pleased with the outcome and am happy I don't have to go through switching providers.  

Bottom line is that it all depends who you speak with.  If you don't like an offer, call back the next day to see what the new offer will be.  

Edit to add it's a 12 month agreement.

Looks like I am done with Directv.  I called winback number and best they could do was $84/month, NFLST Max,, $200 gift card for Choice on 2 tvs (with whole home DVR).

I called twice getting 2 different people and the offer was the same.  One actually said it required a 2 yr contract.  Be careful, they are sneaky slipping that in....

Edit:  Service diconnected on Wednesday 8/21

Calling shortly to setup a Directv disconnect.  Been looking at YoutubeTV as a streaming option, but I was hesitant as they didn't have NHL Network, and I need me some World Juniors over the Christmas/New Years holidays. 

PS Vue just added it a couple of days ago, and after looking at their offerings, I think that will be a great match for our family.  Plus 3 of the 4 local stations (ABC, NBC, and Fox) have been off the air here for almost a year, and PS Vue has them all.  

If they can match the $54.99/mo for the PS Vue Core package for DTV service and equipment,  I might consider staying,  but the local channel thing really bugs me, as I've missed several Yankee games this season that were broadcast on the local station instead of YES.  If not, no biggie.  Doubt it will happen, since we have 4 TVs with Genie and the DVR, and Ultimate is the first level Directv has the NHL Network on, but guess we will see.  No interest in ST, so that won't sway me.  I

t's been a good run DTV. 

I called a few weeks ago and set a cancellation date of 8/24/19.  After making many calls to the various numbers provided in this thread, I finally spoke to someone yesterday when calling 855.407.4780.  The dude I spoke with was only offering a $40.00 discount per month, making my total bill around $144.00.  I declined.  I just called the same number today and talked to a very sweet southern lady.  She took my bill down from $184.00 per month to $91.00 per month.  I receive all movie channels free for 3 months.  I have to call before November 22nd to cancel whatever channels I don't want.  I'll keep HBO and Showtime, which will add around $30.00 to my monthly spend.  I have 5 receivers and the XTRA package.  She included the NFL Ticket MAX (includes Redzone channel) for free.  I also got the $200 gift card.  

Overall I'm pleased with the outcome and am happy I don't have to go through switching providers.  

Bottom line is that it all depends who you speak with.  If you don't like an offer, call back the next day to see what the new offer will be.  

Edit to add it's a 12 month agreement.
What was the angle? You were reconsidering the cancellation, etc? Nice that you didn't have to wait until service was disconnected. 

Looks like I am done with Directv.  I called winback number and best they could do was $84/month, NFLST Max,, $200 gift card for Choice on 2 tvs (with whole home DVR).

I called twice getting 2 different people and the offer was the same.  One actually said it required a 2 yr contract.  Be careful, they are sneaky slipping that in....

Edit:  Service diconnected on Wednesday 8/21
Try the 855 number?

The deal they offered doesn't seem too bad...just sayin.

I cancelled 2 days ago- set cancel for 9/17. They called me this morning and offered essentially my current bill of $125 which includes a $55 discount for a year that was expiring on 9/17 plus ST MAX and $200 GC. I tried pressing for a little more to no avail and accepted. I’m good with it. Also NO new contract.

Also FWIW- here is the number

‭+1 (410) 919-2969‬

Guy’s name was Justin Piper- claimed he was a supervisor in customer relations. He said to ask for him and specify the Las Cruces location. Apparently calls get routed to a few locations. 

I cancelled 2 days ago- set cancel for 9/17. They called me this morning and offered essentially my current bill of $125 which includes a $55 discount for a year that was expiring on 9/17 plus ST MAX and $200 GC. I tried pressing for a little more to no avail and accepted. I’m good with it. Also NO new contract.

‭+1 (410) 919-2969‬

Guy’s name was Justin Piper- claimed he was a supervisor in customer relations. He said to ask for him and specify the Las Cruces location. Apparently calls get routed to a few locations. 
I spoke with a young lady from that number on my last interaction, she too said she was a supervisor.     

Try the 855 number?

The deal they offered doesn't seem too bad...just sayin.
I called the 855 number.    It wasn’t that bad of a deal.    Just more than I am willing to pay.    I only want DTV for the NFL ST and that it.    

Ok.    410-919-2969 again.   Spoke with a guy that said all of the same stuff as last person.    I knew going in this year I’d never come close to last years deal ($27/month for choice package and nfl st max).   

Well I cut tv’s down to only 1.    I basically got:

1.  choice all included pkg

2.  12 months free hbo

3.  3 months free Cinemax, showtime, epix

4.  $200 gift card

5.   NFL ST Max

$75/month (after tax) with a 12 month commitment

i am ok with this deal.    Play the game again next year.....

Not bad Bill, basically the same deal I got ($75 per month XTRA pkg, 3 tv's, $200 gc, ST Max, same 3 free mos Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, Epix).

Starting to think this is the new normal for deals and as long as they aren't requiring a contract, I'm ok with it as well.

Maybe it's just me, but even when I negotiate a decent deal with Driectv, I always feel like they are gonna screw up somehow, someway....

I love the Sunday Ticket Max and thats the ONLY thing keeping me from quitting them totally.

Called yesterday and cancelled overnight, called the 410 number first and I wasn’t in their system yet, tried the first 800 retention number and they couldn’t help yet either. Went to the trusty 888 winback number and he went over my deal and is calling back at 3pm today to finalize everything.

60.00 a month of xtra package , few other discounts to get my monthly bill where I wanted it.

Movie channels for 3 months

free Sunday ticket max

300.00 gift card

another year another win for the good guys lol

Apparently ATT Uverse is now offering the Ticket. 

A couple women came to the door today and are coming back tonight to talk to me. My wife said they offered the Ticket, Choice Extra and a $300 GC

I have a hard time believing this

Apparently ATT Uverse is now offering the Ticket. 

A couple women came to the door today and are coming back tonight to talk to me. My wife said they offered the Ticket, Choice Extra and a $300 GC

I have a hard time believing this
Or apparently my wife wasn't listening very well.

:suds:

Called the 410# - said that a buddy told me to call them before I shipped back my equipment. They could not help me right then - said my account# is an older DirecTV account # and not a newer AT&T#. However, said his boss can handle it and they will call me back by tomorrow. He did seem willing to help out, was not concerned how I got that #.

I'll call the 855# tomorrow.

I’ve tried calling the 410 and 855 numbers each of the past 2 nights...waited on hold for 45 minutes and finally gave up.  Called the 800 number, got to the loyalty department.  As in years past, I played the “good guy” card, saying my wife wanted to cancel and go to sling tv due to costs (always worked like a charm in the past).  All they would offer is $50 off for 12 months, another $5 off for 6 months. Asked about ST, was told there were  no offers available.  I must be losing my touch...

I plan on trying again tomorrow, but she said she would put a note in the system about the offer I received in case I decided to take it.  I was hoping she wouldn’t so I could start off fresh with a new agent.

So just called and set disconnect date for Sept 18.

Last year at this time, received a great deal for $56.99, free ST Max, and a $200 gift card.  They told me I needed a new Genie.

Guy comes out a few days later to install new Genie.  Says I don't need one. Tries to activate old account and can't.  Calls same type of person we talk to here.  I'm told my plan would be better than the $56.99.  Turned out it wasn't. Paid $65-79 all year.  Only received $100 gift card.   I was just too busy at the time to fight it.

Gal today on the cancel was super nice. Just proceeded with the cancel. Clarified I was not on a contract. At the very end she thanked me for being long time customer and to watch for win back emails.

Maybe it's just me, but even when I negotiate a decent deal with Driectv, I always feel like they are gonna screw up somehow, someway....

I love the Sunday Ticket Max and thats the ONLY thing keeping me from quitting them totally.
You've said that several times.  $70/month for 12 months is $900 just for football man.

Last time I'd used the VPN route for getting NFL Gamepass (same as Sunday Ticket without the blackouts and stupid US restrictions) it cost $130.

Or watch reddit streams for free.

‭+1 (410) 919-2969‬

I’m pretty sure this is the guys name I got today said same location also. I was wondering though he gave me good deal like all the others but said he was calling tomorrow to finalize everything. Have the others that have been told this actually been getting the return call?

I think this is the end of the line for me.  I was going to call again to try so i called the 888 number and got some woman from overseas with a thick accent.  We were each having trouble understanding the other and i decided I was finished.  I didn’t feel like playing the game anymore.  So i told her i was sending back the stuff tomorrow.

she said they would have 50% off deal for me to come back.  I asked her what that would cost and she said she couldn’t do that now.....she could only do 20% now.

I said thank you and good bye.

Im tired of the games and will likely go to YouTube.tv

Users who are viewing this thread