Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2 minutes ago, Birdie048 said:

Does a digital antenna work for the local games?   We pickup up 1 and we get 36 stations.  <$50 

It will work on anything broadcast on the major networks - ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC. As long as their signal is strong enough to reach your house. The antenna usually tells you what your mile radius is, so as long as the local affiliate is within that radius you should get those channels.

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if this has been posted already, I apologize. This is the best source I have seen to let you compare the streaming services and it updates daily.  Tons of info if you click around https://st

First over the air channels (OTA).  You can get, and maybe already do, all the local channels OTA in high definition.  You’ll also get more than you suspect if you haven’t tuned in to OTA for many yea

The day of reckoning is here for many! The NFL and Sony just announced the Sony VUE will have access to the NFL Network and REDZONE beginning this season. For the multitudes of people who ha

On 10/23/2020 at 11:56 AM, ChiefD said:

It will work on anything broadcast on the major networks - ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC. As long as their signal is strong enough to reach your house. The antenna usually tells you what your mile radius is, so as long as the local affiliate is within that radius you should get those channels.

Or check out your range to your address on tvfool  dot com. 

• 1 month later...

I haven't been able to find a straight answer to this question, so I suspect it's a dumb question.  Hopefully someone can set me straight...

I'm setting up a Google Nest router connected to Verizon's incoming Internet in my basement.

I will have remote WIFI add on points on the ground floor and the main floor. These will be WIFI connected to the router only -- not ethernet connected.

Is there any advantage (speed/reliability, etc) to connecting a computer/XBOX/tablet/ to the WIFI add-on points on the ground or 2nd floor via ethernet instead of using WIFI?

i.e. if the whole system isn't wired back to the original router is there anything to gain by making the final connection hard wired instead of WIFI?

31 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

I haven't been able to find a straight answer to this question, so I suspect it's a dumb question.  Hopefully someone can set me straight...

I'm setting up a Google Nest router connected to Verizon's incoming Internet in my basement.

I will have remote WIFI add on points on the ground floor and the main floor. These will be WIFI connected to the router only -- not ethernet connected.

Is there any advantage (speed/reliability, etc) to connecting a computer/XBOX/tablet/ to the WIFI add-on points on the ground or 2nd floor via ethernet instead of using WIFI?

i.e. if the whole system isn't wired back to the original router is there anything to gain by making the final connection hard wired instead of WIFI?

I wouldn't think so unless the component you are using has some kind of obstruction that degrades signal.

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2020 at 2:56 PM, ChiefD said:

Just curious. We are getting ready to lose dish as it is horrible. Is it mandatory that the had antenna be near a window? Our tv is not by one. Thanks for any assistance.

23 minutes ago, steelerfan1 said:

Just curious. We are getting ready to lose dish as it is horrible. Is it mandatory that the had antenna be near a window? Our tv is not by one. Thanks for any assistance.

Maybe, but probably not.  I live in a 2nd floor apartment where all windows face away from the location of the "big city" broadcast and genrally things work well for me.  The local CBS channel can be a problem, but I've had varying levels of success toggling between an antenna with power (juiced) and powered off (passive). Bear in mind that neighboring flats represent a crap-ton of drywall between me and the broadcasting stations and I sit about 10 feet below an intervening ridge.  And, my antenna is a 29.99 Best Buy special. 

Buy a cheap-o and see what happens.  If at first you don't succeed, take it back and trade it for door #2, door #3, etc.

Full-disclosure:  Nowadays I roll with YouTube TV.  It's $70-ish per month and they have very generous terms when it comes to sharing your account with multiple households. Subject to change, obviously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, steelerfan1 said:

No, it doesn’t. I spent less than $50 on mine and it works fine. As long as you are within the suburbs of a decent sized city you should pick up all the local channels.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Mister CIA said:

Maybe, but probably not.  I live in a 2nd floor apartment where all windows face away from the location of the "big city" broadcast and genrally things work well for me.  The local CBS channel can be a problem, but I've had varying levels of success toggling between an antenna with power (juiced) and powered off (passive). Bear in mind that neighboring flats represent a crap-ton of drywall between me and the broadcasting stations and I sit about 10 feet below an intervening ridge.  And, my antenna is a 29.99 Best Buy special. 

Buy a cheap-o and see what happens.  If at first you don't succeed, take it back and trade it for door #2, door #3, etc.

Full-disclosure:  Nowadays I roll with YouTube TV.  It's $70-ish per month and they have very generous terms when it comes to sharing your account with multiple households. Subject to change, obviously.

Thanks. I think we will do as you say and just get them from Amazon and send them back if they don’t work.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ChiefD said:

No, it doesn’t. I spent less than $50 on mine and it works fine. As long as you are within the suburbs of a decent sized city you should pick up all the local channels.

We are kind of in the sticks but about an hour or so from Charlotte. Worst that happens is it doesn’t work and we return it I guess. Thanks Chief.

• Like 1

Put down my $100 for a Starlink receiver.  Says that I could get it in the fall.  I hate Comcast so much that I use a slower ISP just so I don't have to deal with them, but I'm nearly maxing out my bandwidth now on 20 Mbs down, 5 Mbs Up.  I do realize all of that bandwidth and it's not shared or metered in any way, so that's a plus with my current ISP.

• Like 1
On 12/23/2020 at 12:40 PM, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

This is highly dependent on the quality of signal you are purchasing and what router/modem hardware you are using. Without knowing more specifics I would say yes it will affect it, but not too much unless you are a extreme power user. One thing with gaming is wifi connections can lead to more issues(not always the case) with NAT settings if your into online multiplayer.

3 hours ago, madshot31 said:

This is highly dependent on the quality of signal you are purchasing and what router/modem hardware you are using. Without knowing more specifics I would say yes it will affect it, but not too much unless you are a extreme power user. One thing with gaming is wifi connections can lead to more issues(not always the case) with NAT settings if your into online multiplayer.

So the answer for us is that it does make the connection more stable.  Doesn't do anything for speed, but we have high speed and tons of bandwidth, so making the last jump hard-wired instead of over the air/WIFI was worth it for us.  Kid still finds things to yell about while gaming, but lags/latency spikes aren't the cause.  Progress?

Went with three Google routers (not a router + points) so I could wire each to an ethernet switch and hard-wire stuff out of that in the same rooms.  Our speed, coverage and latency are all way better.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
2 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

So the answer for us is that it does make the connection more stable.  Doesn't do anything for speed, but we have high speed and tons of bandwidth, so making the last jump hard-wired instead of over the air/WIFI was worth it for us.  Kid still finds things to yell about while gaming, but lags/latency spikes aren't the cause.  Progress?

Went with three Google routers (not a router + points) so I could wire each to an ethernet switch and hard-wire stuff out of that in the same rooms.  Our speed, coverage and latency are all way better.

Sounds like a good decision all around. As for the gaming, lag will always be the thing to kill you. Not the decision the pilot made...

• Like 1

Just got notice of another $9.99 increase for AT&T TV NOW. 

Almost at the point of going back to cable TV being that we have to use Comcast for our internet. Might be better to just package again. 

• Sad 2

Find it hard to believe cable is even still a thing. Bought my first smart TV and I had no idea how advanced they have gotten. Samsung TV comes with 300 or so channels built in. No idea how cable companies are surviving. 

19 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Find it hard to believe cable is even still a thing. Bought my first smart TV and I had no idea how advanced they have gotten. Samsung TV comes with 300 or so channels built in. No idea how cable companies are surviving. 

"channels"

I took the time to pare that down to stuff we might theoretically watch someday and it's like maybe 15.  And that includes channels like the Minecraft channel, which my youngest loves.

Re cost increase above:  we're saving ~$30 compared to previous cable/internet bill and have more content available with YoutubeTV, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, ESPN+.  Also upgraded internet speed and DVR capability at no cost.

Combined with switching from Verizon's wifi to Google routers, and improving speed and signal through entire house, it feels like we jumped ahead maybe 15 years from where we were.

No regrets at all.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

"channels"

I took the time to pare that down to stuff we might theoretically watch someday and it's like maybe 15.  And that includes channels like the Minecraft channel, which my youngest loves.

Re cost increase above:  we're saving ~$30 compared to previous cable/internet bill and have more content available with YoutubeTV, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, ESPN+.  Also upgraded internet speed and DVR capability at no cost.

Combined with switching from Verizon's wifi to Google routers, and improving speed and signal through entire house, it feels like we jumped ahead maybe 15 years from where we were.

No regrets at all.

I don't think you're reading my post correctly.  I don't subscribe to anything, my cable/tv bill is zero. 

I agree I would never watch 95% of any 300 given channels, but, they came free on my Samsung Smart tv.  Link

Like I said, I have no idea why people would still pay for cable/dish/directv and I have no idea how they are surviving.  

• Like 1

I just did a mini-upgrade, got a new receiver and television in our living room, added a sonos, and, at the recommendation of my a/v guy, switched from an Amazon Fire streamer to a Roku.  After a few days, I can say the Roku is a much better interface for me. 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, eoMMan said:

Almost at the point of going back to cable TV being that we have to use Comcast for our internet. Might be better to just package again. 

me too. I'm going to tell ATT to eff off and go no cable. 

I have an antenna mounted in my attic which gives me good reception for all local broadcast from Charlotte (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, and a few others).  I have netflix, hulu, disney+ & amazon prime.  I can certainly get HBO ala carte.  Really, the only things I would be missing are ESPN come football season (maybe I sign up for Hulu live for September thru December), AMC for Walking Dead & Better Call Saul (all though I can stream on Hulu or Netflix when available), a few other random shows that I really wouldn't miss on FX,  and network news which I am better off avoiding anyhow.

Edited by moleculo

This is my first venture into smart tv land so apologies if this is old news.  I never bought a smart tv because I always had a HTPC running everything anyway.  Well my 12 year old plasma finally started to give up the ghost and I quickly found that you cannot buy a tv now that isn't smart.  I'm a Samsung guy and so even though the OLED seems to be currently better than Samsung QLED I stuck with Samsung because the QLED white background makes everything brighter, is better for rooms with light/windows, etc.

As it turns out this was a blessing in disguise as my HTPC was on life support running Windows Media Center still on Windows 8.1 that I was being forced to find a solution for.  I imagined a smart tv being clunky, just loaded up with Netflix and Rolu apps and I couldn't have been more wrong.  The setup was automatic, detecting all connected devices, finding all available OTA channels and come to find out includes free Samsung TV Plus.  Suddenly I had a great TV guide with hundreds of channels all for free.  

I've been meaning to figure out why and if there is a catch so here it is.  It's a departure back to ad-supported television, so, yes most of the channels have commercials.  No doubt Samsung will be collecting and selling your data, just like every single other device, app and service does.  But, more importantly I think this is a move by the industry to distinguish themselves from their competitors.  It appears Samsung figured out a way to give you free tv if you continue to use their devices.

I don't know, pair this with a couple of your must have subscription service apps and it just seems to me to be another nail in the coffin for traditional cable/dish television.  

I guess I've been a little bit asleep the past couple years just watching whatever I want on Cinema.  Samsung TV Plus is similar to Pluto TV or Amazon's IMDb TV in generating a lot of ad-supported free channels.  I did notice the IMDb options appearing on the firestick, but, the firestick is clunky.

At any rate, super happy with Samsung TV Plus and the sleek interface and remote.  Wife doesn't have any trouble navigating with everything on one screen and integrated push of the button tv guide.  With OTA channels in there she won't be able to tell it isn't cable tv.  

2 hours ago, tonydead said:

, I have no idea why people would still pay for cable/dish/directv and I have no idea how they are surviving. 

Because they own the pipes and they own media

Pluto is $$$. I'd gladly pay for the content (especially if eliminated ads in the process).

Philo is by far my favorite streaming service. Been with them since nearly their beginning and haven't had a single issue.

I can't sit through a ball game anymore. If I ever have any desire for sports (ie NCAA Tournament), I'll subscribe to a discounted or free month trial. Or there's a few low cost "alternative" sports streaming options.

I have family members (across the country...or I'd help them switch to streaming) that're still paying $100-$150+/mo for FN cable. And most of them watch "classic shows" that're available for free on Pluto/Prime/Philo or other services that can get for a handful $$/mo. I sent my uncle a Fire TV stick and asked me on the phone about the remote "What the #### is this? Where's the #s @?" :lmao: 

• Like 1

If you don’t mind ad supported content, los of free content out there.

Peacock

Vudu

Tubi

IMDB TV ( there is now a Roku app)

YouTube 

Roku Channel

Hoopla

kanopy

Crackle

Redbox

...and many more

here is a pretty comprehensive article from Consumer Reports https://www.consumerreports.org/streaming-video-services/guide-to-free-streaming-video-services/

• Thanks 1

I signed up for Discovery+ (huge discount promo for 6 months) since it seems like everything I watch is in their universe. It’s very impressive overall. One of the best streaming services I’ve seen to date. I don’t like that they are basically forcing folks into the service for new content, but this is the model these days. Some content never even hits cable at all. Sad. 

On 3/2/2021 at 1:34 AM, eoMMan said:

Me as well. Going to start looking at other options, including possibly going back to some type of Crapcast Internet/TV bundle.

So annoying that DirectTVNow started at $35/mo all in and it is now double.

Is anyone else having issues with YouTube on Roku?

Have a Roku TV and also a stick on another TV. For the past 12 hours neither one has been able to play YouTube. The videos come up but then they just don’t play. 

Been happy with AT&T TV, but the packages are getting more expensive and service same or worse. Recently wanted to update packages and they said it would take 3 days to make the switch (!!), because I’m in the only AT&T TV Now plan or something. 

Started looking at other options and it’s hard to find one that has everything I want. We watch a lot of CNN, the kids watch Nick, so we need those at a minimum, in addition to local channels, and I’d like MSG to watch the Knicks. The rest is pretty negotiable. But still hard to find one service with all this (other than AT&T). 

PS, regarding wifi, we recently upgraded to Verizon Fios 1GB, and also updated our routers to the Orbi top level mesh network (cost me $1k). I get like 600MB in my bed and on the couch, 350 on the John.  Insane speeds. 

7 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

Is anyone else having issues with YouTube on Roku?

Have a Roku TV and also a stick on another TV. For the past 12 hours neither one has been able to play YouTube. The videos come up but then they just don’t play. 

Was happening for my son last night on his Amazon FireStick. Was working fine around 8:30PM. A little after 9 he asked me for help. Videos would preview but would not load. Seems to be working this morning.

• Thanks 1

locast.org just opened in Cleveland. Not sure how wide the coverage area is. I know I am considered D.C. even though I'm 90 miles west.

Here's the e mail I got:

Locast Nation,

We are pleased to announce we’ve launched our streaming service into our 30th market – Cleveland.

Available today, and in time to watch the college championship basketball games beginning March 19, you can now stream local broadcast TV channels across 17 counties in Cleveland and the surrounding area, including the cities of Akron, Ashland, Ashtabula, Canton, Mansfield and Sandusky.

For the first time, residents will be able to watch all of their local TV stations via the Internet on their phones, tablets, laptops, or streaming media devices. We work hard to provide a public service by giving access to important local news, storm coverage, emergency information, election coverage, sports, and entertainment programming to internet-connected devices.

Find out more about Locast in Cleveland at www.locast.org or on our news page.

As a reminder, there are many ways to watch Locast – at www.locast.org, app stores, TiVo, streaming service providers Google Play, Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon, and ROKU, and on DISH Hopper/Wally receivers or select DIRECTV receivers.

We hear your requests and are working hard to launch into more markets. Please help us spread the word and share this message with five friends and family members who live in one of our 30 Locast markets. We are a nonprofit and rely on your donations of just $5 per month to support the ongoing operations and expansion of our nonprofit service.

Thank you!

Read that Modbro, a streaming app associated with Kodi, was shutdown and owner arrested. Just a heads up for anyone using that app.  

Is there a way to do a Hulu Live trial while being a regular Hulu subscriber? It seems like I would have to cancel, wait for my billing period to end and sign back up for a trial. Seems dumb. I just want to see if I like Hulu Live more than YTTV.

If I do cancel and go back, will all my favorites stay?

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Anyone using the new google tv?  It’s supposed to combine the watchlists across all platforms into one.  And it has every service 

wondering about how well it works

Just took a quick peek. From what I gather you basically buy the new chromecast and Google TV just gives you a place to park all the apps that you pay for already in one area?

Does that sound right?

On 3/13/2021 at 5:00 AM, Peak said:

Read that Modbro, a streaming app associated with Kodi, was shutdown and owner arrested. Just a heads up for anyone using that app.  

Wow. I still only use Kodi to stream my own stuff in network. 

On 3/13/2021 at 5:00 AM, Peak said:

Mobdro was a stand-alone apk, dunno how that qualifies as "associated" with kodi :shrug:

anyone who was using Mobdro prolly bailed months prior to the crackdown, anyway ... to go ad free you were tasked with allowing your idle network to be used as a third party ISP superhighway, which turned a great deal of users away for good. 

who knows what kinda #### was being rerouted through your own lil' space ... yeah, no thanks. 

as far as Kodi goes - Venom with RD is golden.  

still. 

8 hours ago, ChiefD said:

Just took a quick peek. From what I gather you basically buy the new chromecast and Google TV just gives you a place to park all the apps that you pay for already in one area?

Does that sound right?

Sounds like it has all apps and one cross app function to create a watch list.

I haven't been following this thread so I'm a total noob to streaming tv - but I'm done paying a huge monthly cable bill.

I think I'm going with youtube.tv and it looks like all my local channels are available so if I go that route I won't need an antenna, right?  Any negatives with youtube.tv?

And it looks like a couple channels my daughter watches aren't available (Discovery Family and Boomerang).  Do those channels have apps of their own that I can download?  

52 minutes ago, Steeler said:

I haven't been following this thread so I'm a total noob to streaming tv - but I'm done paying a huge monthly cable bill.

I think I'm going with youtube.tv and it looks like all my local channels are available so if I go that route I won't need an antenna, right?  Any negatives with youtube.tv?

And it looks like a couple channels my daughter watches aren't available (Discovery Family and Boomerang).  Do those channels have apps of their own that I can download?  

Yes, if your locals are offered on youtubetv you are fine without an antenna.

It appears Boomerang has its own app for $5/month. They may be bundled with something else, but I didn't see it.

Discovery Family appears to be offered by Hulu Live, AT&T, and a few other streaming bundles but not youtubetv. That's just a cursory search, though - maybe there's another way to get it.

I've never used Youtube TV so can't speak directly about it, but have had Hulu Live & Sling at various times. Going off of my experience and comments here, they all seem to be about the same with their own plusses and minuses.

Be careful, though, you can "app" yourself up to the point where you're paying the same as a cable bill. 

• Thanks 1
On 3/28/2021 at 10:02 AM, Steeler said:

We just started our free 14 day trail of Youtube TV.  So far so good.  We had an issue with Directv, in which there was a problem with satellite communication to our box.  We are most likely going to cancel DTV all together.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, arrow1 said:

We just started our free 14 day trail of Youtube TV.  So far so good.  We had an issue with Directv, in which there was a problem with satellite communication to our box.  We are most likely going to cancel DTV all together.

We started out 14 day trial over the weekend and I agree - so far so good.  We didn't cut cable yet so the hardest part is getting everyone in the house to use youtube.tv and not falling into the old habits of watching TV on cable :)

On 3/28/2021 at 11:02 AM, Steeler said:

Try downloading the app and logging in via your cable tv account when it asks.  For us, we have YouTube TV but still pay for internet through our old cable provider so we still have an account/log-in.  I downloaded the Hallmark Channel for the wife and it asked for me to log in via my cable provider.  Log-in worked perfectly.  I've done that for other missing channels too.

ETA; bit of a pain to have a separate app vs having it available in your live guide.  Gotta do what you gotta do.

Edited by Al Czervik
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2021 at 11:02 AM, Steeler said:

[repost}

If you don’t mind ad supported content, los of free content out there.

Peacock

Vudu

Tubi

IMDB TV ( there is now a Roku app)

YouTube 

Roku Channel

Hoopla

kanopy

Crackle

Redbox

...and many more

here is a pretty comprehensive article from Consumer Reports https://www.consumerreports.org/streaming-video-services/guide-to-free-streaming-video-services/

Edited by JoeSteeler
  • Thanks 1

currently have...

HBO Max $15 

Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ bundle $20 

Netflix $15

Paramount +/Showtime bundle $9.99 (bought thru Apple Tv last year)

Prime Video $0 (buy quite a bit of household goods from amazon, so count this as $0)

Apple TV $0 (free trial supposedly ends 7/31...will most likely cancel when i have to pay)

Internet $60

total $120

free apps we use quite bit...

VUDU (free, add supported movies and own a couple hundred movies here and at Moviesanywhere.com))

Youtube (subscribe to 50+ channels. Mostly sports/FF, cooking, and crime channels)

"80 mile" OTA antenna (use for Steeler games)

Roku Channel (free, add supported movies)

Investigation Discovery app (free, ad supported shows)

Peacock (free ad supported TV and movies...haven't found a lot of free stuff to watch here)

Edited by JoeSteeler