What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (4 Viewers)

so i installed kodi and addon installer. when i went to addon installer to look for video add ons... none of the lists populated (search, featured, video add ons). any suggestions? i was eventually able to get super repo but could not find sports devil in their list.

so i installed kodi and addon installer. when i went to addon installer to look for video add ons... none of the lists populated (search, featured, video add ons). any suggestions? i was eventually able to get super repo but could not find sports devil in their list.
Sportsdevil isn't in any of the repos. You have do download the sportsdevil zip file and install from zip.

I'm sure this is in the 54 pages somewhere, but for those of you who cut the cable did you get an antenna for local OTA signals? If so did you go rooftop or internal?

I'm sure this is in the 54 pages somewhere, but for those of you who cut the cable did you get an antenna for local OTA signals? If so did you go rooftop or internal?
Internal flat antenna but if I was more ambitious I'd install a rooftop antenna in my attic.

I think if you can get them OTA channels makes up a big slice of the pie of channels for cord cutters. I've got the best rooftop you can get, but, you really only need to go as big as it takes to get the majority of channels available in your area depending on where you live and how far away you are from the signals.

I think if you can get them OTA channels makes up a big slice of the pie of channels for cord cutters. I've got the best rooftop you can get, but, you really only need to go as big as it takes to get the majority of channels available in your area depending on where you live and how far away you are from the signals.
Model number of the bolded? I believe this is what I'd need.

Also, and not to get too technical, but aren't there two different types of OTA signals? And can't some antennas only pick up one type or the other?

Model number of the bolded? I believe this is what I'd need.

Also, and not to get too technical, but aren't there two different types of OTA signals? And can't some antennas only pick up one type or the other?
Technically VHF and UHF, remember the rabbit ears and then the round antenna for the two types. I think most models now days are built for both by default.

I have a Winegard HD8200U. I'm sure there are better out there, so I exaggerated a little bit, but this one is a monster.

ETA: Pic

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically VHF and UHF, remember the rabbit ears and then the round antenna for the two types. I think most models now days are built for both by default.

I have a Winegard HD8200U. I'm sure there are better out there, so I exaggerated a little bit, but this one is a monster.

ETA: Pic
Yeah, the VHF and UHF thing is what I was thinking of. I know that stations out of DC (my closest stations) output signals on both.

I think I have a similar if not identical antenna in my shed right now (but we still have comcast for the next few months at least, as the cost to have TV isn't that much more than high speed internet alone so it hasn't yet been worth messing with). I'll see what stations that might pick up (I'd have to mount the sucker very, very high off the ground where I am up in the mountains a bit. I've been looking at maybe this one, if for no other reason it's smaller and thus maybe easier to hide behind some trees, and me thinking it's more powerful if only getting signals from one direction.

Going on 2 years to the day. Never looked back.

Last year opted against doing mlb+dns unblock and saved more. Probably will go back to that again next year. Total outlay is about $140 for mlb.

I've been using Pluto.tv on my Roku more and more since they came out with their Roku app a couple months ago. Most of the channels aren't up my alley, but sometimes there's a good movie on, and the numerous news channels usually have something worth watching. It also provides the "channel surfing" feeling that I use to like with cable. The app is kind of buggy, but it is there first version of it, and given it has over 40 channels, it's not bad for their first release.

Any idea on why Kodi seems to buffer or pause so much? Pretty sure its not on my end (50 MBS down). Speedtested at ~30mbs

True or False - Samsung TV's do not allow for the Sling TV app. I understand you can get a Roku (or some other device) to have Sling TV, but are there other known limitations/restrictions like this with specific TV's, etc.?

Any idea on why Kodi seems to buffer or pause so much? Pretty sure its not on my end (50 MBS down). Speedtested at ~30mbs
It mostly depends on the feed. I get the best luck through 1channel, using the feed thevideo.me. Phoenix's Rockcrusher channel also works well.

The SportsDevil feeds are no good in my experience.

Another OTA channel was added to our market this week. Just found it today. It's broadcasting the American Sports Network.

Looked at their website it looks like they broadcast a lot of live college sports. Not the big name schools, so I don't see myself dropping ESPN anytime soon.... but this is a GREAT sign, as I hope someday as more and more people prefer to watch shows on demand, local broadcast stations realize that the only thing people want to watch being broadcasted is sports. That will turn local broadcast channels into local versions of ESPN, or perhaps ESPN starts buying local broadcasting stations and tells cable and satellite companies to get bent. At that point cable and satellite companies have nothing. Those making movies and shows can just stream directly to users and sports is broadcast local. At that point there's nothing for cable and satellite to deliver. And that's all they are is a delivery mechanism. A dying one at that.
They do show a lot of Atlantic 10 games, so that's not bad. Really wish they were launched here in Philadelphia.

As a side note, cbssports.com shows some college bball games live, though I can't seem to figure out how it is determined which ones.

so the "watch espn" app is basically live streaming of the various ESPN networks?

What is the catch?
It has more games than what are just being broadcast on their different channels. During football season there were typically 12 college football games being streamed on their app simultaneously.
You need a cable login in order to watch what is being shon on tv though, right?

so the "watch espn" app is basically live streaming of the various ESPN networks?

What is the catch?
It has more games than what are just being broadcast on their different channels. During football season there were typically 12 college football games being streamed on their app simultaneously.
You need a cable login in order to watch what is being shon on tv though, right?
You needs a cable login in order to watch any of them.

You can subscribe to Sling TV from September to January for $100 and have access to WatchESPN for the whole season.

True or False - Samsung TV's do not allow for the Sling TV app. I understand you can get a Roku (or some other device) to have Sling TV, but are there other known limitations/restrictions like this with specific TV's, etc.?
I've never been a fan of smart TVs for this reason. The latest and greatest apps are always going to be on the devices that are easiest to roll new apps out to. Smart TVs are proprietary.... except for Smart TVs that are a Roku.

I've been using Pluto.tv on my Roku more and more since they came out with their Roku app a couple months ago. Most of the channels aren't up my alley, but sometimes there's a good movie on, and the numerous news channels usually have something worth watching. It also provides the "channel surfing" feeling that I use to like with cable. The app is kind of buggy, but it is there first version of it, and given it has over 40 channels, it's not bad for their first release.
Watching Top Secret right now on the Drive In Movies channel on Pluto.tv.

Pluto.tv is to Sling TV like Crackle is to Netflix.

What is the catch?
You needs a cable login in order to watch any of them.

You can subscribe to Sling TV from September to January for $100 and have access to WatchESPN for the whole season.
anything that is marked as ESPN3 can be watched without a login. I watched Oregon State-Utah basketball last night.

liking the mst3k channel

From the little reading I've done, true. Sony Smart TVs are the only one's I've heard that support Sling TV. It doesn't appear that smart tvs are very smart. Personally I've always been of the mindset to stay away from smart tvs or smart receivers because I'll always have xbox or playstation available to handle the interface with the internet and are a lot more universal, updated and less proprietary. Since then the new tv devices that are relatively inexpensive have come out like Roku and firestick and have made it much more flexible. You can solve your problem for $25 by getting a fire stick, just be prepared to wear out your switch input button on your tv remote.

liking the mst3k channel
:thumbup:

The 1987 Hot Pursuit will be starting on Drive In Movies in about a half an hour.

I can probably get a better movie off of Netflix or Sling TV, but the fact that it's free makes me want to give them another viewer.

Can I install Kodi on my Roku?
No. There are versions of Kodi for just about every OS for your PC or HTPC, Android, IOs (jail broken) and reaspberry pi. One reason the fire sticks are so popular is because they are open to third party app development. You can get one for just $25 on sale and mess around with stuff like Kodi. There is a ton of info online and just ask questions in here.Kodi excells for movies and tv shows/series. For movies, if it's available digitally (torrents/Usenet/DVDs) you'll be able to find it on Kodi and unlike some of the other methods you aren't downloading the media, you're just watching a stream. Tv shows are the same, you just have to be willing to watch the next day after it airs in most cases. Kodi isn't so good for live tv (sports/news); the streams are hit and miss for reliability and often not in HD, but, the streams are there.

Kodi is the replacement name for the former XbMC and is open source.
If I have a Roku 3 now do I need one of these also (instead)?

Can I install Kodi on my Roku?
No. There are versions of Kodi for just about every OS for your PC or HTPC, Android, IOs (jail broken) and reaspberry pi. One reason the fire sticks are so popular is because they are open to third party app development. You can get one for just $25 on sale and mess around with stuff like Kodi. There is a ton of info online and just ask questions in here.Kodi excells for movies and tv shows/series. For movies, if it's available digitally (torrents/Usenet/DVDs) you'll be able to find it on Kodi and unlike some of the other methods you aren't downloading the media, you're just watching a stream. Tv shows are the same, you just have to be willing to watch the next day after it airs in most cases. Kodi isn't so good for live tv (sports/news); the streams are hit and miss for reliability and often not in HD, but, the streams are there.

Kodi is the replacement name for the former XbMC and is open source.
If I have a Roku 3 now do I need one of these also (instead)?
I don't think there is a version of Kodi to install on the Roku devices. I've read some people install Kodi on their PC and then stream/mirror it to the Roku using Plex media server. But, yeah, if you want to mess around with Kodi you can get a firestick for $25 when the go on sale at Amazon and it's not really very hard to do.

I've been using my Roku2 for several years now. Only in the last couple of months I have been experiencing problems with it. It freezes from time to time. It usually happens when I first "wake" it. I thought it was maybe the batteries in the remote but no such luck.

I decided to pull the trigger on their streaming stick. Any tips, lessons learned, or best practices for those who went with the stick?

saintfool said:
I've been using my Roku2 for several years now. Only in the last couple of months I have been experiencing problems with it. It freezes from time to time. It usually happens when I first "wake" it. I thought it was maybe the batteries in the remote but no such luck.

I decided to pull the trigger on their streaming stick. Any tips, lessons learned, or best practices for those who went with the stick?
The sticks are decent but if you can swing it go with the box, they're much faster. I got the Roku stick upstairs in our bedroom and whenever I go up there it always surprises me how much slower it is.

Sports kept me from cutting completely, but recently found you can get replays of most of what ESPN carries game wise. The advantage of watching on Roku is you can fast forward though commercials. I will miss some games on Big 10 network, but that's OK.

Okay, I got a Roku.

***DUMB QUESTION ALERT***

What's the best way to plug it in? HDMI cable?
Yes.
Thanks. I hope my TV has an HDMI input. I guess all new models do.
It should. Most newer models have 2-4 of them. If you want, you can do what I did and "mount" the roku behind the TV (out of sight). The remote works on wifi I think (it's not "line of sight").
Oh, yes, of course; mine has 3 or 4. Not sure what I was thinking about.

Yeah, I heard that the remote is not LOS like your typical one with infrared or whatever.

Sports kept me from cutting completely, but recently found you can get replays of most of what ESPN carries game wise. The advantage of watching on Roku is you can fast forward though commercials. I will miss some games on Big 10 network, but that's OK.
http://www.btn2go.com/channel/btnlive

you need a TV provider login
Ok, help me out here because I may be just plain old dumb and late to the party on this one BUT...

So let's say in theory that I have a home that I rent to others and, because it is designed to be a short-term rental with frequent turnarounds, I keep the Directv or big name cable company provider in my name and I therefore have access to the account info and logins, etc.

I can go to a site like BTN2go or and app like watchESPN and "login" and stream this stuff at my house across town and forget paying for directv/cable at my house???

Which sports are we talking? You can get MLB, NBA and NHL via streaming packages (assuming you follow a team outside your local area... dumb blackout rules) and it's usually cheaper than Cable/Sat. Also for NFL most local games can be picked up by a $10 digital antenna

You can get ESPN via the Watch ESPN app (and a lot of other channels) if someone lets you borrow their cable password... cant imagine it's legal but its possible.

http://www.btn2go.com/channel/btnlive

you need a TV provider login
Ok, help me out here because I may be just plain old dumb and late to the party on this one BUT...

So let's say in theory that I have a home that I rent to others and, because it is designed to be a short-term rental with frequent turnarounds, I keep the Directv or big name cable company provider in my name and I therefore have access to the account info and logins, etc.

I can go to a site like BTN2go or and app like watchESPN and "login" and stream this stuff at my house across town and forget paying for directv/cable at my house???
yep

Finally good to go at the restaurant. Indoor Mohu's weren't cutting it. 4 channels no matter what I put the thing. Luckily, a buddy that does a lot of our repair work is a cord-cutter who was inspired to help with my quest.

He had an antenna that he bought and only used once (he'd just moved to a new place years ago, didn't have cable hooked up yet and wanted to watch the Super Bowl). He's got a better antenna now, so he gave me this one. I wanted to put it up myself, but he offered to do it basically for free in the freezing ### cold. Not gonna say no to that one.

22 channels so far and still not finished fine tuning the direction.

More importantly, I decided that instead of hiding this beauty in the back, we'd display it proudly right above the front door (plus it was a much easier install).

Nothing classes up a restaurant like an old school TV antenna rising up 20 feet above the front door

I just added the NBC Sports app on the Fire Stick. I expected it to ask me for subscriber info, but it's just letting me watch Norwich-Liverpool without asking. If this sticks, it's great news for me. The quality is great.

Users who are viewing this thread