What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (5 Viewers)

Just ordered my Roku 3 from Amazon and it will be here in 2 days. Any advice for the newbie about to cut the cable? We watch a lot of shows on network TV (Survivor, Hells Kitchen, Elementary)

I figured I'd go with...

- Internet from Comcast (best speeds in my area)

- Roku 3

- HD Antenna (and maybe the new TiVo?)

- Amazon Prime (which I already have)

- Netflix

- Hulu

- Plex (a friend gave me their password and he downloads a lot)

Am I missing anything I should be doing?

Thanks in advance!
I recommend a Tivo hooked up to an antenna. Been using one for four years now. You can still get a Roamio OTA with lifetime service from Amazon for $489. If you get one with month to month service, a Roamio is $136. At $15/mo, the lifetime service pays for itself in two years.

Tivo released a new version called the Bolt to replace the Roamio, but I don't believe they offer lifetime service on it. But if you want 4K, then you need the Bolt.

There are other antenna based DVRs out there, like the Tablo and ChannelMaster, but from the reviews they don't compare to the usability and functionality of Tivo. They're expensive, but worth it.
Yeah $489 isn't terrible. I may do like KiddLattimer says and try without for a month. This is making me a little nervous, but should be good in the long-run. I see most people are recommending the Mohu Leaf 50 for antenna so I will probably go with that. After the Super Bowl, let the cable cutting begin!

My current cable/internet bill is about $250 per month so hoping to cut that in half at least.
How far are you from your TV stations? I live about 15 miles from Albany so I can get by with the Amazon Basics 25 mile version... depending on your area though your mileage may vary. A 50 mile antenna certainly wont hurt though. I would definitely test your antennas out before you cut though just to make sure you get everything you're looking for first.
I live in West Seattle less than 10 miles from downtown.
Try out a smaller one maybe, you can always send it back w/ Amazon. A stronger one certainly won't hurt though, and maybe you'll pick up some other stuff out of the area
I bought the small antenna (Mohu Leaf Metro - 25 mile range) and it works brilliantly! I think the scanning had like 30 channels. CBS is crystal clear. Thanks for the advise.

Just ordered my Roku 3 from Amazon and it will be here in 2 days. Any advice for the newbie about to cut the cable? We watch a lot of shows on network TV (Survivor, Hells Kitchen, Elementary)

I figured I'd go with...

- Roku 3

- Netflix

- Hulu

Thanks in advance!
I recommend a Tivo hooked up to an antenna. Been using one for four years now. You can still get a Roamio OTA with lifetime service from Amazon for $489. If you get one with month to month service, a Roamio is $136. At $15/mo, the lifetime service pays for itself in two years.

Tivo released a new version called the Bolt to replace the Roamio, but I don't believe they offer lifetime service on it. But if you want 4K, then you need the Bolt.

There are other antenna based DVRs out there, like the Tablo and ChannelMaster, but from the reviews they don't compare to the usability and functionality of Tivo. They're expensive, but worth it.
I just bought an Amazon refurbed TiVo Roamio for $59 on Amazon. Figured I would try it out and if I like it I can upgrade to the Bolt.

I figured I'd go with...

- Roku 3

- Netflix

- Hulu

Thanks in advance!

Yeah $489 isn't terrible. I may do like KiddLattimer says and try without for a month. This is making me a little nervous, but should be good in the long-run. I see most people are recommending the Mohu Leaf 50 for antenna so I will probably go with that. After the Super Bowl, let the cable cutting begin!

My current cable/internet bill is about $250 per month so hoping to cut that in half at least.
How far are you from your TV stations? I live about 15 miles from Albany so I can get by with the Amazon Basics 25 mile version... depending on your area though your mileage may vary. A 50 mile antenna certainly wont hurt though. I would definitely test your antennas out before you cut though just to make sure you get everything you're looking for first.
I live in West Seattle less than 10 miles from downtown.
Try out a smaller one maybe, you can always send it back w/ Amazon. A stronger one certainly won't hurt though, and maybe you'll pick up some other stuff out of the area
I bought the small antenna (Mohu Leaf Metro - 25 mile range) and it works brilliantly! I think the scanning had like 30 channels. CBS is crystal clear. Thanks for the advise.
It's amazing isnt it? I assumed it would be half fuzzy like the rabbit ears used to be.

Couple of updates/response comments:

Spurrierisgod, buy a modem. Absolutely no reason to rent one from a cable company.

Pollardsvision, keep contacting them. Keep going up the ladder. There is no way what they are asking for ETF is reasonable. So,done will let you off the hook.

So...watched my first cable-free SuperBowl on Sunday and did NOT receive my first cable/sat bill today. Feels great. Keep plugging along cable cutters.

Also noticed that the SuperBowl actually ran at least two different commercials specifically promoting streaming apps. CBS was one and maybe Enow or somebody on the other (which is huge for any guys who have wives that have those shows they love).

I think that is a significant sign that the tide is building in earnest —to see a ripple on the big stage. It reminds me of when I first started seeing fantasy football ads on TV when the general public was still ignoring it. Once it's out of the box, it's out.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I cut the cord today. Only thing I think I'm going to miss is the built in channel guide. Do you guys go old school TV guide or is there something more modern?

Buckychudd said:
So I cut the cord today. Only thing I think I'm going to miss is the built in channel guide. Do you guys go old school TV guide or is there something more modern?
TV Guide app on my phone.

Buckychudd said:
I'll try the TV Guide app for the phone, but a few weeks in, and this is still the one thing my wife misses, not having a guide.

You probably know this (I didn't for a few days), but you can still use the info button on the TV remote for info about what you're watching (another big thing for the wife).

I'll probably end up biting the bullet and getting an OTA DVR partially for the guide, but I'm putting that off for as long as I can. Mainly, it's not a big deal for me because I don't watch many network TV shows (except CW Monday Nights, which I swear is pretty good). They generally only serve the purpose of having something mindless on in the background when I'm not watching Netflix or something.

Buckychudd said:
Depending on your setup - if you have an OTA antenna, you can plug that into a computer TV tuner (either usb or networked one) and then use a windows 7 computer which will give you a channel guide. That's what I did for years, and likely will go back to soon.

Buckychudd said:
Depending on your setup - if you have an OTA antenna, you can plug that into a computer TV tuner (either usb or networked one) and then use a windows 7 computer which will give you a channel guide. That's what I did for years, and likely will go back to soon.
Yep, one of the reasons I built a HTPC for our main tv. I use WMC in Windows 8, there are other solutions out there, but I'm hanging on as it does a nice job of recording and is user friendly enough the old lady can manage it.

So last night I downloaded the FXNow app, and was able to stream the new OJ Simpson show from it to my TV via chromecast. That got me thinking - just how many decent apps are there out there that will cast? I've used youtube, espn, MTV, and now fxnow (obviously for most you'll need a cable login). Is there some "master list" somewhere?

EDIT: Found one, damn it's big (that's what she said).

So last night I downloaded the FXNow app, and was able to stream the new OJ Simpson show from it to my TV via chromecast. That got me thinking - just how many decent apps are there out there that will cast? I've used youtube, espn, MTV, and now fxnow (obviously for most you'll need a cable login). Is there some "master list" somewhere?

EDIT: Found one, damn it's big (that's what she said).
FX Now is available on Roku (as long as you can "borrow" a cable login) and it works great.

For casting I just discovered that I can get MLB network through the MLB At Bat app on my iphone. I use it to cast to the TV via apple tv air play. Couldnt get it to work on Chromecast though, but maybe it was an iphone/android thing?

I have a Plex with all the movies and shows I need and I have Amazon Prime. Use a Roku.

All I watch on cable is:

ESPN

CNN

ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX for live sports and events

Kids watch a little Cartoon Network

I can replace cable with Sling TV and an OTA antenna, right?

I have a Plex with all the movies and shows I need and I have Amazon Prime. Use a Roku.

All I watch on cable is:

ESPN

CNN

Yes.

All I watch on cable is:

ESPN

CNN

As long as you are fine with the local ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox channels and can pick up their signals. YES!

OK, new to this thing, but I want to cut the cable. The never ending fees really piss me off. $10 per TV per month. $10 per month for HD. $10 a month to rent a modem. $5 a month for a sports package when I only want one channel...

So, I've been looking around and thinking about Tablo or Tivo options with an HD antenna. Some questions...

1. I don't need multiple antennas for multiple TVs if I have a Tablo/Tivo or other multi-node DVR/streaming device?

2. Do the HD antennas only pick up the major networks, or can they get other channels too, like Bravo, HGTV, Nickelodeon, etc.?

3. If the HD antenna doesn't get those channels, how do you get them? Hulu Plus?

4. What about sports channels like NFL Network, Big Ten Network, ESPNU? Are these accessible?

Finally... This may have been covered already, but the search function didn't see it anywhere in the FFA. Has anyone seen Rveal yet? Is this thing legal? I'm not sure if there would be a way to set up a DVR system with this, though.

http://www.rveal.com/blogs/rveal/65254083-the-rveal-streaming-media-player

Q: Is this only a one-time payment? No monthly fees?
Yes, pay once and enjoy not having to incur monthly fees or any kind of fees for that matter ever again.

Q: Is this similar to a Roku or Apple TV?
Yes, in that Rveal is a smart TV box. But that is where the similarities end. They do not give you access to unlimited entertainment for free. We do.

Q: Can I watch all live sports?
Yes, watch every game as its happening, including Pay-Per-View events.

Q: Can I watch newer movies or TV shows?
Yes, movies in theaters or TV shows that aired the same day are also available.

Q: I have Netflix, what is the difference?
The difference is we have everything they have and it's free to watch. No subscription needed.

Q: What is the quality of the streams?
For anything you want to watch, you'll get a list of available streams organized from highest to lowest quality. Start from the top and you'll have stunning video quality. Our box supports 4K ultra HD as well.

Q: I pay a ton for premium cable networks such as HBO and NFL RedZone. Do I get these with your box?
Yes, not only can you search for shows by network or watch every individual sporting event, you'll also be able to enjoy the live premium channels.

Q: How is it possible that I get to watch everything for free?
The web is a vast and powerful place. The Rveal box acts merely as an index for everything that is available on the internet, which is basically everything. It uses third-party applications to find and organize your favorite entertainment by highest to lowest quality in an easy-to-use interface. For anything you want to watch, you'll have numerous sources to choose from. Gone are the days of paying for cable, wasting money on channels you don't even watch, waiting a year to get the latest TV shows or movies, or using your laptop to watch videos from the internet. Our Rveal box not only lets you enjoy what you love for free, it also saves you money.

Q: Do I just need a basic internet connection?
Yes, all you have to do is plug the device into your TV, connect to the internet, and start streaming. Basic internet speeds will work great.

Q: What is this device built on?
Our Rveal boxes are running on an Android operating system, which means you'll be able to access thousands of apps on the Google Play Store.
TIA

OK, new to this thing, but I want to cut the cable. The never ending fees really piss me off. $10 per TV per month. $10 per month for HD. $10 a month to rent a modem. $5 a month for a sports package when I only want one channel...

So, I've been looking around and thinking about Tablo or Tivo options with an HD antenna. Some questions...

1. I don't need multiple antennas for multiple TVs if I have a Tablo/Tivo or other multi-node DVR/streaming device?
Tivo offers a "Mini" device, which connects to your home network and can use one of the tuners on your Tivo to watch live tv on the mini (as well as recorded shows and other content providers like Netflix). So one Tivo connected to one antenna can provide all TVs with Minis live TV.

Tablo is always accessed from devices like Rokus and such. So one Tablo connected to one antenna can provide all TVs with Table devices live TV.

2. Do the HD antennas only pick up the major networks, or can they get other channels too, like Bravo, HGTV, Nickelodeon, etc.?
Antennas pick up whatever channels are being broadcast in your market. I get the majors (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, CW, and PBS), but I also get a lot of other broadcast channels that I watch like Me TV, ION, This TV, Antenna TV, Decades, Get TV, American Sports Network, Create TV, Grit TV and Comet TV. I also get a lot of foreign language and religious channels, but who cares. Basically I get three dozen channels and watch around 12 of them. Cable subscribers get 200+ channels... and watch around 12 of them.

As for channels like Bravo, HGTV, Nickelodeon, etc... those are channels that have specific contracts with cable and satellite providers, so they can't be broadcasted without violating those contracts. You can however get some cable specific channels like HGTV, AMC, ESPN, TNT, TBS, etc... by subscribing to Sling TV for $20 a month and streaming those channels over your internet connection.

3. If the HD antenna doesn't get those channels, how do you get them? Hulu Plus?
Hulu might carry some of the cable shows you still want to watch. But the easiest way is to just buy those cable shows on Amazon or iTunes, which allows you to stream them the day after they air on cable. I watched all the Breaking Bad episodes the day after they aired on AMC even though I didn't have AMC. You can typically buy an entire season of a cable show for around $30. You'd have to buy a lot of seasons of a lot of shows before getting them via a cable/satellite subscription would be cheaper.

4. What about sports channels like NFL Network, Big Ten Network, ESPNU? Are these accessible?
I get ESPN by subscribing to Sling TV. I pay $5 extra to add the Sling Sports package which includes ESPNU and the SEC network. NFL network and Big Ten Network are only available with cable/satellite subscriptions.

Finally... This may have been covered already, but the search function didn't see it anywhere in the FFA. Has anyone seen Rveal yet? Is this thing legal? I'm not sure if there would be a way to set up a DVR system with this, though.
I don't know anything about it.

Tivo offers a "Mini" device, which connects to your home network and can use one of the tuners on your Tivo to watch live tv on the mini (as well as recorded shows and other content providers like Netflix). So one Tivo connected to one antenna can provide all TVs with Minis live TV.Tablo is always accessed from devices like Rokus and such. So one Tablo connected to one antenna can provide all TVs with Table devices live TV.

Antennas pick up whatever channels are being broadcast in your market. I get the majors (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, CW, and PBS), but I also get a lot of other broadcast channels that I watch like Me TV, ION, This TV, Antenna TV, Decades, Get TV, American Sports Network, Create TV, Grit TV and Comet TV. I also get a lot of foreign language and religious channels, but who cares. Basically I get three dozen channels and watch around 12 of them. Cable subscribers get 200+ channels... and watch around 12 of them.

As for channels like Bravo, HGTV, Nickelodeon, etc... those are channels that have specific contracts with cable and satellite providers, so they can't be broadcasted without violating those contracts. You can however get some cable specific channels like HGTV, AMC, ESPN, TNT, TBS, etc... by subscribing to Sling TV for $20 a month and streaming those channels over your internet connection.

Hulu might carry some of the cable shows you still want to watch. But the easiest way is to just buy those cable shows on Amazon or iTunes, which allows you to stream them the day after they air on cable. I watched all the Breaking Bad episodes the day after they aired on AMC even though I didn't have AMC. You can typically buy an entire season of a cable show for around $30. You'd have to buy a lot of seasons of a lot of shows before getting them via a cable/satellite subscription would be cheaper.

I get ESPN by subscribing to Sling TV. I pay $5 extra to add the Sling Sports package which includes ESPNU and the SEC network. NFL network and Big Ten Network are only available with cable/satellite subscriptions.

I don't know anything about it.
I don't know anything about any of this. I only use the internet on my phone and at work. I also live in an apartment. I have DirecTV. I don't know if I have any options to "cut the cord."

Finally... This may have been covered already, but the search function didn't see it anywhere in the FFA. Has anyone seen Rveal yet? Is this thing legal? I'm not sure if there would be a way to set up a DVR system with this

TIA
Just looking at Rveal I can see it's a rebranding of Kodi (xbmc). You can download Kodi software for free and shouldn't ever have to pay for it. Just start by googling Kodi and readin up on it a little bit. The reason companies can rebrand, sometimes add a little different coding and try to sell it is because it's open source.

As for whether it's 100 percent legal or not is up for debate. Kodi alone as a media center software is, however, third party addons allow you to stream movies, tv shows and some live tv which is likely to be illegal at the source. However as a user you watch a stream and don't ever download anything and the jury is still out if that's illegal because it's nearly impossible to define let alone get any evidence to test the courts.

Yes you can DVR within Kodi, but, it's strength is movies and tv shows that have already aired or are already available and the streams will always be there to watch. I use Kodi along with live tv OTA and WMC in Windows 8 does a nice job DVRing OTA.

I don't know anything about any of this. I only use the internet on my phone and at work. I also live in an apartment. I have DirecTV. I don't know if I have any options to "cut the cord."
If you can get high steed internet in your apartment you have the same and just as many options to cut the cord as any one else.

What's the best streaming news app? Downloaded NBC news which isn't bad, but want to see if there is something better.
Best options I've found (mostly heard about here, from Spock):

-live CNN channel on Sling

-numerous channels on Pluto.tv that seem live (though, I think some might be a compilation of videos, but either way, they "act" like live streaming channels, where you don't have to keep pressing play, like I remember having to do with the NBC news app)

-CBS News channel on Roku. It's a poorman's MSNBC/CNN. Great channel, but just seems to have a lot of commercials.

If you can get high steed internet in your apartment you have the same and just as many options to cut the cord as any one else.
okay, thanks. I can do that.

Just ordered a Raspberry Pi 2 off Amazon (there is a coupon code on it now knocking $11 off). Going to attempt to install Kodi on it to take the plunge
Please update us on this. I'm super tempted to get one of these just for the heck of it.
Hoping to get it set up with an OS today, but that confuses me. I don't know the difference between Kodi, OSMC, XMBC, OLEC Open and on and on.

This was posted in the POPCORN thread. Installing Kodi on the Amazon Fire Stick. I can't emphasize enough how easy this was.

top dog said:
Also, just to be clear - will doing this be the "only thing" the the stick will be able to do? I don't think streaming services like Netflix and amazon prime work well with Kodi (at least they don't with Kodi on a Raspberry Pi as I understand it) - but will this just be one app on the firestick and you can still use it for everything else that it does right out of the box (like netflix, hulu, sling, amazon)....

If so, this my be the holy grail. All those streaming services, Kodi (and thus via kodi the ability to get locals from a networked TV tuner).

This was posted in the POPCORN thread. Installing Kodi on the Amazon Fire Stick. I can't emphasize enough how easy this was.

top dog said:
Also, just to be clear - will doing this be the "only thing" the the stick will be able to do? I don't think streaming services like Netflix and amazon prime work well with Kodi (at least they don't with Kodi on a Raspberry Pi as I understand it) - but will this just be one app on the firestick and you can still use it for everything else that it does right out of the box (like netflix, hulu, sling, amazon)....If so, this my be the holy grail. All those streaming services, Kodi (and thus via kodi the ability to get locals from a networked TV tuner).
I do want to find a way to add the Kodi launcher to the main Fire Stick menu.
I installed Firestarter: http://www.htpcbeginner.com/install-firestarter-on-fire-tv-without-adb-and-computer/Half of those steps were already done when installing Kodi so it was super easy and quick.

Eta: this actually is a menu ABOVE the main Fire Stick menu. You can choose Kodi or Fire Main Screen from this Firestarter screen. Still cuts out about 10 remote clicks!

top dog said:
Also, just to be clear - will doing this be the "only thing" the the stick will be able to do? I don't think streaming services like Netflix and amazon prime work well with Kodi (at least they don't with Kodi on a Raspberry Pi as I understand it) - but will this just be one app on the firestick and you can still use it for everything else that it does right out of the box (like netflix, hulu, sling, amazon)....If so, this my be the holy grail. All those streaming services, Kodi (and thus via kodi the ability to get locals from a networked TV tuner).
Absolutely. Kodi is "sideloaded". It's not replacing the Fire Stick OS. The main Firestick interface stays the same and all the apps work like normal. You open Kodi like an app. I do want to find a way to add the Kodi launcher to the main Fire Stick menu.

ETA: There are others on the forum much more familiar with Kodi on the Fire Stick. It took about 15 minutes for me to get it up and running last night. No technical skills needed.
Damn, maybe I should have done that rather than buying a raspberry pi that doesn't already have all the fire stick OS stuff covered (netflix, amazon video and the like). Oh well.....

top dog said:
Absolutely. Kodi is "sideloaded". It's not replacing the Fire Stick OS. The main Firestick interface stays the same and all the apps work like normal. You open Kodi like an app. I do want to find a way to add the Kodi launcher to the main Fire Stick menu.

ETA: There are others on the forum much more familiar with Kodi on the Fire Stick. It took about 15 minutes for me to get it up and running last night. No technical skills needed.

Installing on Firestick...

Yeah, Firestarter for me as well - just doubleclick the Fire Stick home button and it takes you to Kodi.

Q: Is this only a one-time payment? No monthly fees?Yes, pay once and enjoy not having to incur monthly fees or any kind of fees for that matter ever again.

Q: Is this similar to a Roku or Apple TV?

Yes, in that Rveal is a smart TV box. But that is where the similarities end. They do not give you access to unlimited entertainment for free. We do.

Q: Can I watch all live sports?

Yes, watch every game as its happening, including Pay-Per-View events.

Q: Can I watch newer movies or TV shows?

Yes, movies in theaters or TV shows that aired the same day are also available.

Q: I have Netflix, what is the difference?

The difference is we have everything they have and it's free to watch. No subscription needed.

Q: What is the quality of the streams?

For anything you want to watch, you'll get a list of available streams organized from highest to lowest quality. Start from the top and you'll have stunning video quality. Our box supports 4K ultra HD as well.

Q: I pay a ton for premium cable networks such as HBO and NFL RedZone. Do I get these with your box?

Yes, not only can you search for shows by network or watch every individual sporting event, you'll also be able to enjoy the live premium channels.

Q: How is it possible that I get to watch everything for free?

The web is a vast and powerful place. The Rveal box acts merely as an index for everything that is available on the internet, which is basically everything. It uses third-party applications to find and organize your favorite entertainment by highest to lowest quality in an easy-to-use interface. For anything you want to watch, you'll have numerous sources to choose from. Gone are the days of paying for cable, wasting money on channels you don't even watch, waiting a year to get the latest TV shows or movies, or using your laptop to watch videos from the internet. Our Rveal box not only lets you enjoy what you love for free, it also saves you money.

Q: Do I just need a basic internet connection?

Yes, all you have to do is plug the device into your TV, connect to the internet, and start streaming. Basic internet speeds will work great.

Q: What is this device built on?

Our Rveal boxes are running on an Android operating system, which means you'll be able to access thousands of apps on the Google Play Store.
TIA
Looks like you got several great responses already but I will add that if you are looking for something particular that is a "cable" station (bravo, Hallmark, E!...all those things that seem to hold the misses back in the households), I believe they ALL have apps now that will help you bridge the gap.

I firmly believe that we are at the tip of the iceberg on this thing and it will only get better as time goes by. For me it is like clearing my head early and not getting bogged down in the info overload that will come as the big cable companies will attempt to respond over the next few years. To me, this will end up someday being like when an old timer tells us stories of how milk was delivered to a house "back in the day".

about the only channel I miss is IFC...any way to stream live or watch on demand on fire stick?
Haven't had it in almost a year, but I think it's available live (perhaps some limited on demand stuff) with Sling.

I'm sure it's available live somewhere on Kodi as well. Pretty sure almost everything is available on demand with Kodi through Genesis/Alluc/1Channel.

Just ordered a Raspberry Pi 2 off Amazon (there is a coupon code on it now knocking $11 off). Going to attempt to install Kodi on it to take the plunge
Please update us on this. I'm super tempted to get one of these just for the heck of it.
Hoping to get it set up with an OS today, but that confuses me. I don't know the difference between Kodi, OSMC, XMBC, OLEC Open and on and on.
Yeah, lol. That's what I was hoping you'd figure out for me. The raspberry pi website talks about a OS called Raspbian and a OS installer called NOOBS. Might want to look at that.

As far as being able to do everything I'm sure it will. It's a computer with internet so even if it doesn't look like the Netflix/Amazon/Etc. app buttons that might not install on the OS you should still be able to at minimum go to the Netfix web address and log in to watch through whatever browser it has.

I installed Firestarter: http://www.htpcbeginner.com/install-firestarter-on-fire-tv-without-adb-and-computer/Half of those steps were already done when installing Kodi so it was super easy and quick.

Eta: this actually is a menu ABOVE the main Fire Stick menu. You can choose Kodi or Fire Main Screen from this Firestarter screen. Still cuts out about 10 remote clicks!
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was just about to ask if anyone knew where that link was. I've been too lazy to do that since the last time we talked about it in here.

I'm intrigued by this Rveal device. Seems too good to be true (one time flat $300 cost and gets everything?!) but has 50 reviews on Amazon of which 48 are 5 stars and the other 2 are 4 stars.

I'm intrigued by this Rveal device. Seems too good to be true (one time flat $300 cost and gets everything?!) but has 50 reviews on Amazon of which 48 are 5 stars and the other 2 are 4 stars.
It's just a re-branding of Kodi (xbmc) software that you can get for free and install on your device of choice. For as low as $25 for a firestick.

Yeah, lol. That's what I was hoping you'd figure out for me. The raspberry pi website talks about a OS called Raspbian and a OS installer called NOOBS. Might want to look at that.

As far as being able to do everything I'm sure it will. It's a computer with internet so even if it doesn't look like the Netflix/Amazon/Etc. app buttons that might not install on the OS you should still be able to at minimum go to the Netfix web address and log in to watch through whatever browser it has.
Dont think it has a "browser" in the sense you're thinking. Attempting to install OSMC now, will report in....

It's just a re-branding of Kodi (xbmc) software that you can get for free and install on your device of choice. For as low as $25 for a firestick.
That's what I was thinking but it wasn't evident. The reviews on the Kodi devices are more realistic (i.e. 60% 5 star, 20% 4 star, etc) while this one had zero reviews < 4 star. That's the only thing that threw me off. I guess they just idiot proofed this device and jacked up the price.

Dont think it has a "browser" in the sense you're thinking. Attempting to install OSMC now, will report in....
Link
Yeah, I think that's if you install either Raspbian or Noobs as the OS. I'm installing OSMC, as apparently that's the media center OS that was built for these things.
Sorry, I'll let you be to figure it out., wish I didn't have 1,000 honey do's so I had time to mess around with one of these.

Appreciate it if you post your results. Thank you.

:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

Looks like you got several great responses already but I will add that if you are looking for something particular that is a "cable" station (bravo, Hallmark, E!...all those things that seem to hold the misses back in the households), I believe they ALL have apps now that will help you bridge the gap.

I firmly believe that we are at the tip of the iceberg on this thing and it will only get better as time goes by. For me it is like clearing my head early and not getting bogged down in the info overload that will come as the big cable companies will attempt to respond over the next few years. To me, this will end up someday being like when an old timer tells us stories of how milk was delivered to a house "back in the day".
Yeah, definitely looking to get the ones you mentioned to satisfy the missus. But, really want the Big Ten Network for myself, at least from November - March. Not sure if that's possible, unfortunately.

It seems like we have some new people in the thread, so I'll repeat some things I've said in here before...

The biggest thing about cutting the cord is that it changed our viewing habits completely... remember when you first heard about a DVR and thought it sounded just like a VCR and didn't know what the big deal was... then you got a DVR and it changed everything about how you watched TV other than sports? This has been the same kind of change for us.

We just don't ever watch any fluff. If we want to watch a movie, I check Netflix and Prime, if it's not there I go to Kodi and watch it from there. If I want to watch a TV show, there are a million great archived TV shows out there... few people have seen them all. So, I hit the next episode on whatever I'm into at the time... recently I watched all of Daredevil, then Walking Dead, then Fear Walking Dead, then The Wire, currently in season 5 of Archer. After that, I'll hit Jessica Jones, Breaking Bad, then Mad Men, then Game of Thrones, then Sopranos, then Arrested Development, then... any of a hundred good shows from the past 10 years. Meanwhile, new seasons will come out for half of those plus Orange is the New Black and other shows I'm caught up on. There's enough banked TV out there that it doesn't matter when anything aired. My pace of watching them is slower than the rate at which good shows are being created - I hit about 5-10 hours per week alone.

In parallel, I have something I watch with the kids. Recently it was the Flash, now it's Just Add Magic. If they want to watch something without me, it's Phineas and Ferb. If it's just me and my 11yo, it's Band of Brothers. If it's just me and my 14yo, it's Simpsons. They only watch about 5 hours per week anyway.

If we can't think of anything we intentionally want to watch, we just don't. No Ice Road Hoarders just to fill the time. We'll do something else instead.

The only downside has been sports. I limp by, catching most of the OU football games I want to see through Kodi, occasionally watching a soccer game or NFL game. I did get cable for a month for the World Cup last summer.

The change in habits just eliminates a lot of TV time... and sports is the only thing that any of us miss. It's been a positive change for our household even if it didn't save money.

My setup:

Family TV with a Fire Stick (Netflix and Prime, a few other apps we use 1% of the time), with Kodi installed - 1channel, Phoenix, USTVNow, Genesis, SportsDevil, just added Pro Sports last night.

Networked TV in the basement in front of the treadmill - Netflix and Prime.

iPad for bed - Netflix, Prime, NBCSports app for Premier League highlights, MLS app for MLS highlights.

I set everything up based on Youtube videos with little/no knowledge before this, and it wasn't very difficult to set up or maintain.

The one thing I'd like to find is a good NFL recap show - something like Prime Time was a few years back. Does anyone have a suggestion? NFL's app is too fragmented for me - I want something I can press play on once and watch 10-30 minutes of highlights on Sunday night. It felt like that kind of disappeared from cable even when ESPN lost Sunday Night Football years back.

Users who are viewing this thread