What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Directv NFL Ticket.... (3 Viewers)

My contract is up in August. This is a stupid question but can I cancel and renew the next week to get the new customer deals?The offer that I received from them today is:$200 Sunday Ticket Max ($100 off)6 month free HD ($60)New HD / DVR box ($200 value)$5 off family package ($15 value - I downgrade the package during the summer)New On Demand features ($99 value)Free Starz for 6 months (I have no idea that value)Total savings is $475 (not including free Starz)I want the Ticket Max for $50 or $100.
Called back and got the Max for $150 instead of $200 (50% off of the price). Everything else stays the same. I'll take it.

My contract is up in August. This is a stupid question but can I cancel and renew the next week to get the new customer deals?The offer that I received from them today is:$200 Sunday Ticket Max ($100 off)6 month free HD ($60)New HD / DVR box ($200 value)$5 off family package ($15 value - I downgrade the package during the summer)New On Demand features ($99 value)Free Starz for 6 months (I have no idea that value)Total savings is $475 (not including free Starz)I want the Ticket Max for $50 or $100.
Called back and got the Max for $150 instead of $200 (50% off of the price). Everything else stays the same. I'll take it.
I do think you can get more. New contract customers get handed the keys. When I signed up the first time I got the full Sunday Ticket, free HD for the life of the contract ($240?), free movie channels for 6 months, and a discount through pairing it with AT&T internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well not bad. Got:

80 bucks off Sunday ticket

Free Sunday ticket max

$10 off per month credit

Free DVR ($8 per month credit)

Free Showtime

Basically got Sunday ticket Max for ~$50

thinking of switching to DTV...I want to get ST Max...what is the best deal i can get...give me a ballpark est of a monthly bill that a new customer should settle for if i want ST Max

My contract is up in August. This is a stupid question but can I cancel and renew the next week to get the new customer deals?

The offer that I received from them today is:

$200 Sunday Ticket Max ($100 off)

6 month free HD ($60)

New HD / DVR box ($200 value)

$5 off family package ($15 value - I downgrade the package during the summer)

New On Demand features ($99 value)

Free Starz for 6 months (I have no idea that value)

Total savings is $475 (not including free Starz)

I want the Ticket Max for $50 or $100.
I do think you can get more. New contract customers get handed the keys. When I signed up the first time I got the full Sunday Ticket, free HD for the life of the contract ($240?), free movie channels for 6 months, and a discount through pairing it with AT&T internet.
Not always the case. Someone posted in the FFA DTV thread about being a new contract customer last year and not really getting anything (he got a bunch this year).My biggest mistake this year was downgrading my package and then placing the call. Call first, then downgrade next year.

2-year customer with a decent channel lineup (I like Directv). Called asking about my contract, which I guess got me to a customer retention person. Basically said I was exploring other options for a service that got me red zone as a stand alone channel. Said I wanted to perhaps try the ticket, but gee, it's a little pricey. Red Zone was what I wanted more.

Right away, they gave me the Max for $150. Took all of five minutes. I'm happy.

Was just offered Choice Extra Package including ST Max plus DVR, 3 months HBO, STARS, etc for $50...is this as good an offer as i'll get? I told them I'd call them back after I discuss with wife.

Was just offered Choice Extra Package including ST Max plus DVR, 3 months HBO, STARS, etc for $50...is this as good an offer as i'll get? I told them I'd call them back after I discuss with wife.
New customer? I think you can get better. I ordered new this time last year and got a lot of stuff, see my last post.

I have a year remaining on my contract as I was a new customer last year.

I called last week and did the following:

Said my wife was told that Verizon was cheaper, ST was too much since we thought it was free for two years and found out it was only one year, and that Verizon would assume out termination fees. This coupled with the loss of the Viacom stations had me seriously considering canceling. Was there anything they could do?

They offered the Sunday ticket $199 package for free but would not upgrade. I was nice, said great and hung up.

I called today and did this:

My wife reminded me how much I travel and that I won't really use the Sunday ticket but a few times over the course of the season. Unless they threw in the ST Max, I would probably like to cancel.

They threw it in for free. So, I am good to go this year, no cost for the ST Max.

If I want to get greedy, I might call up to get some more money knocked off the monthly bill. And if one of my threads in the FFA tells you anything, I'm clearly not married. Just use the excuse and be nice and call multiple times until you get what you want.

Just got off the phone. (My contract was expiring this year.)

Said FIOS was offering a better deal and we needed to save money. Also said we needed to view the games mobile since we travel. Right off the bat they offered:

Free ST

Free Max

$20 credit/month for 12 months

I only had to agree to extend my contract for 12 months.

DONE

-$360 ($30 off a month for 12 months)

-$150 (50% off Sunday Ticket Max)

$510 in credits

(300) Sunday Ticket Max

---------

Net $210 :)

New customer? I think you can get better. I ordered new this time last year and got a lot of stuff, see my last post.
I actually canceled earlier this year (bundled with cable, my internet provider) and came back last week. Got the same offer and $25 off my first bill so it would be in line with the rest of year one.It's really not too bad a deal, IMO...

Called and asked for Sunday ticket for free after stating the size of my bill. They gave it to me, and I didn't bother begging for more.

Can't wait to talk to them next year!

If any new subscriber wants 10 bucks off a month for 10 months say you were recommended by account 052500755
That's great you came here to try to get referral credits on your account. We really appreciate your insight on how to deal with DirecTV. #### off.

If any new subscriber wants 10 bucks off a month for 10 months say you were recommended by account 052500755
That's great you came here to try to get referral credits on your account. We really appreciate your insight on how to deal with DirecTV. #### off.
:goodposting:Think I may get a buddy to hack this account just for trolling for referral credits with his account number... :popcorn:

I've made 3 phone calls and basically have gotten ST Max for free at this point. I know this will come off wrong but it bothers me that I have managed better deals in the past and I see the deals others are getting so I will probably make one more attempt. I was curious if anyone has ever tried using email to get a deal? If so who did you contact and with what results?

I've made 3 phone calls and basically have gotten ST Max for free at this point. I know this will come off wrong but it bothers me that I have managed better deals in the past and I see the deals others are getting so I will probably make one more attempt. I was curious if anyone has ever tried using email to get a deal? If so who did you contact and with what results?
My experience has been limited, but results via email have been nothing. You have to call in for the best deals.

Here's how my phone call on Friday went.

Me: "Cancel Service"...

Lady: "Thank you for calling DirecTv. How may I help you?"

Me: "I'm considering cancelling my DirecTv service."

Lady: "I'll transfer you to Cancellation."

Me: "Actually, can you transfer me to Customer Retention instead?"

Lady: "Sure."...

Guy: "Thank you for calling DirecTv. How may I help you?"

Me: "I am considering cancelling my DirecTv service because we have one receiver that is going bad (true) and also we can't really afford for our bill to go up right now (also true)."

Guy: "I'm sorry to hear that. If you stay, I can offer you $20 off your bill month for 12 months."

Me: "Well, that's good, but the main reason I have DirecTv is for the NFL Sunday Ticket. I know that Dish has some pretty good deals going, including one that is for $19.99 a month, and also I could just pay $50 bucks for the whole season of NFL Rewind online. I'd rather have the Ticket though, but it's just too expensive."

Guy: "Let me see what I can do."...

Guy: "What if I were able to throw in the Ticket and the Redzone Channel for free?"

Me: "Is that the Sunday Ticket Max?"

Guy: "No"

Me: "I'd really like the Max because I like the Short Cuts."

Guy: "Really? I think you're the first person to say that. Most people say they want the Red Zone Channel. Let me take another look"

Guy: "I can offer you the Max for four payments for $39.99. That's $159.96 for the Max... no wait... that's worse than the other offer... hang on... okay... umm, yeah, I can go ahead and give you the Sunday Ticket Max for free.

Me: "Great. Is that in addition to the $20 a month for 12 months and do I still get the Red Zone Channel?"

Guy: "Yes"

Me: "Awesome... Now what can we do about replacing the old DVR? We are wanting to upgrade to an HD DVR. The DVR we are replacing is standard def."

Guy: "Let me check"...

Guy: "I can offer you a free HD DVR to replace the old DVR. Plus, we will pay for the installation and the handling fee and also knock another $10 a month off for a year to cover the HD upgrade charge to your package. However, you will have to sign a two year contract in order to get the free HD DVR"

Me: "Hmm. Would it be possible to just do a year contract instead?"

Guy: "We could do that if you just wanted a standard DVR, but for the HD DVR it has to be two years."

Me: "Well... okay. Let's set it up"

So, this was the end result from this 15 minute phone call:

NFL Sunday Ticket Max = $299

$20/month x 12 = $240

HD DVR = $199

Installation = $99

Handling fee = $19.95

$10/month x 12 = $120

Total amount saved = $976.95

True, I did end up having to agree to a 2-year contract, but I'm quite sure that I would have stayed with them anyway. Plus, since my discounts expire in a year, even though I will still be under contract, I can call back again next August and try to see what they are willing to offer. Last year I got a little under $400 back, so I was thrilled with this outcome.

I e-mailed them and they called within 30 minutes.

$20/month x 12 = $240

HD DVR = $199

Installation = $99

Handling fee = $19.95

$10/month x 12 = $120

True, I did end up having to agree to a 2-year contract, but I'm quite sure that I would have stayed with them anyway. Plus, since my discounts expire in a year, even though I will still be under contract, I can call back again next August and try to see what they are willing to offer. Last year I got a little under $400 back, so I was thrilled with this outcome.
nice :thumbup:

$20/month x 12 = $240

HD DVR = $199

Installation = $99

Handling fee = $19.95

$10/month x 12 = $120

nice :thumbup:
That's basically what I got last week as a new customer with the RZ thrown in and an extra $10/month for 10 months for a referral from my Dad and an extra $5/month for a year by going to autopay.

Well, things didn't go as planned for me! Just called, and explained we had some unexpected medical bills (all true), and that I promised my wife that I would cut something out of our expenses. The rep offered the plain old Ticket Package without the "extras" (i.e. - no Max) for $198. I kindly thanked her but said that would still be difficult (thinking I'd get a sweetened deal like I have the past 4 years), but she simply said she understood and went ahead and cancelled it. Wasn't expecting that at all! Now I don't have Sunday Ticket for the first time in 7 or 8 years!

NOW WHAT?!!!!

I feel like every year they change the names of things. What does ST Max get you? I like the Red Zone channel and the regular ticket. Short Cuts?

Thanks

Sportphysio. Call them back and ask them for the Redzone. They don't sell that seperately from the ticket. Work it from there. Work it from the angle that you are thinking about switching to cable, who does offer it. DON'T USE definites. Always put it in the way of "thinking about". If they say they can't do it then say you will think about their offer, talk to your wife, check with competitor etc. And call back.

Sportphysio. Call them back and ask them for the Redzone. They don't sell that seperately from the ticket. Work it from there. Work it from the angle that you are thinking about switching to cable, who does offer it. DON'T USE definites. Always put it in the way of "thinking about". If they say they can't do it then say you will think about their offer, talk to your wife, check with competitor etc. And call back.
That's not a bad idea. After I hung up, I realized I should have told her that I would talk with my wife about her initial offer. I did leave the door open for her to work with me though, but she just seemed to be in a rush to get of the phone. I'll call back and try working another angle; I can't threaten to leave because I'm still under contract (I think).

That's not a bad idea. After I hung up, I realized I should have told her that I would talk with my wife about her initial offer. I did leave the door open for her to work with me though, but she just seemed to be in a rush to get of the phone. I'll call back and try working another angle; I can't threaten to leave because I'm still under contract (I think).
make sure you are talking to customer retention. That would have never happenedHTH

Probably could have done better:

ST Max $100 after $50 instant credit

$10/mo off for 3 months

$10/mo off for 24 months

Free Showtime 6 months

Free On-Demand

Out of contract no. No contract extension necessary.

Just made my call this morning. Said I was thinking about switching to Verizon FIOS TV since we already have FIOS internet and phone and wanted to see if DirecTV could save me some money to keep me as a customer. I'm on auto-renew for Sunday Ticket Max (don't really care about Max since I don't watch on-line and don't watch RZ channel much). Reviewed my current package of services (Choice Xtra Classic plus HBO, Cinemax, Sports package) and offered the following:

$20 off Choice Xtra for 12 months

$10 off HD service for 12 months

$15 off HBO, Cinemax, Sports for 6 months

free Showtime for 3 months

I asked what they could do about Sunday Ticket and she said I could get Max for free ($300 value) or the discounts above but not both. I asked about downgrading to regular Ticket and she said she could give me that for $100 ($100 savings) plus all of the discounts above. Wife has been pushing to add Showtime so I asked if I could get Showtime free for a year if they reduced some of the discounts above. The gave me Showtime free for a year in exchange for the $15 off HBO, etc. for 6 months. Final deal:

$100 off regular Sunday Ticket

$30 off monthly bill for 12 months

Showtime free for 1 year

Didn't require any extension on my contract, which expires in a couple weeks.

I just called and got:

NFL for $100 instead of $300 = $200

$5 off of HBO 6 months = $30

$10 off the Sports Pack for 6 months = $60

$20 off my total bill for 1 year = $240

$10 off my HD bill for 24 months = $240

Total savings of $770!

This is the best I've ever done.

To get the NFL cheaper I just said I wanted the games plus the RedZone channel, no Max. He gave me Max (for the RedZone) but only charged me for the regular.

make sure you are talking to customer retention. That would have never happenedHTH
That is what is really strange, I did speak to customer retention!And to the rest of you posting your great deals...YOU ALL SUCK!

Today I decided to take care of this annual exercise in stupidity.First guy says he cannot offer me any deals and there is none being offered. Before he lets me go I inform him that is a load of nonsense and that I know of many folks who have gotten deals or free ST. He doesn't budge. (1st call goes this way every time)Second call, I get a girl named Shayla or something and the added bonus is I can understand her. I tell her about joker#1 and how he cannot hook me up, how I find it offensive that Dtv plays these games with us every year and how the Sunday Ticket w/o Max is a crying joke and that I will totally be fine with nothing more than my $7.99 Netflix if push comes to shove.She puts me on hold so I can listen to some awesome music (sarcasm). During this time I guess I just want to be done so while I went in thinking its gonna be free or screw it I am gone...I decide if its fair like I have gotten it the last couple years I will just get on with my day.She comes back and says she can do the ST with Max for either 4 payments of 25.99 or a 1 time payment of $100. When they do this, I really recommend that you take the one-time payment because that way next year when they look at your account, there is just that one discount whereas when they see discounts every month for multiple months they will act like they have done you way more of a favor. Hope that makes sense.Now last year, I know I did not get the ST To-go as part of the deal and this year it is included with this MAX package so I am really happy with a one-time $100 for all of that. Totally fair price even if some folks manage to get all the way to FREE. There is absolutely no reason to pay more than $150 for this stuff ever and don't let those idiots give you the $200 package with no RZ or HD...total garbage.Good luck to the rest of you!
Wanna hear a trainwreck of an update? So after paying the $100 like I did, my bill came the other day showing the first payment of six is due...so of course I call to get proper bill amount and make sure we are square.To my horror, these dumb piles of garbage are now telling me that they can't offer me anything and that what I paid before was just the upgrade to MAX. WHAT!?! So they aren't budging and despite common friggin sense, in their distorted eyes I called two months ago because the price was too high and yet left getting no discount but volunteering to pay a one time upgrade fee before I even pay for the ticket itself!!!!I have talked to two supervisors and countless knuckledraggers and none of them can do anything for me...these people are the dumbest things I have ever encountered.I believe they have now credited back my $100 I paid and are willing to let me take my $1200+ per year account and go elsewhere because they can't offer me any sort of deal despite my offer to provide them with pages and pages of people I know talking about getting it for free or for $100 or free plus other discounts. Nice plan Dtv.The good news though, while I cancel my service and go DISH at least I can feel happy about never having to play this dumb game again (although I bet I will do it in some form with DISH also)If it werent for football, I could just go with Netflix all year and save a ton of money.*#!^ DirecTv and I hope nobody else has to deal with this crap from them.

'sportsphysio said:
That is what is really strange, I did speak to customer retention!And to the rest of you posting your great deals...YOU ALL SUCK!
Yeah, I never say, "nope, I want to cancel, then," to any of their offers. I just appeal to the "fact" that my wife is on my ### to cut the bill, she likes football, etc., and ask if they can do more. At some point, they say it's the best they can do, and at that point, I ask them to add the services they've given, but that I still need to speak with my wife about whether she wants to cancel and I tell them I think she will, unfortunately. I then call back and rinse and repeat until I get what I want.Always leave yourself an out. I never tell the retention rep that I am for sure canceling. I ask them for their help in me convincing my wife that DirecTV is great and that we shouldn't jump to FiOS because of all the deals they are about to give me and if it isn't good enough, she's going to force me to cancel (on the next call).

I burned up all of my credit when I bought SIX new dish receivers for my mancave basement. So when I contacted them to complain about losing Nick jr etc, I called the special number and got squat. $5 credit for 4 months. Whopee. I have to pay $300 for the Ticket. I haggled for quite a while to no avail. BTW I have better things to do than fight with these guys every summer.

I dropped HBO and told them I'm cancelling when my contract is up nearly 2 years away and they didn't seem to care.

I will probably be actually cancelling if I can find somewherer with Red Zone, I can live with just that.

Finally took the time to make the call yesterday. My contract isn't up for another year. After getting a regular rep and mentioning Dish Network several times I was offered $90 off of Sunday Ticket and $10 x 6 months off of the Sports Pack. The rep then told she could transfer me to CRG, who could give me better discounts.

I ended up getting:

Sunday Ticket Max - Free

$20/month off my bill for 12 months

$10/month off my bill for 6 months

$5/month off my bill for 3 months

Total savings of $615.

having to make this call gets more and more annoying every year.
Then don't be so cheap, pay the very reasonable price they are charging, and be happy. :confused:
Good looking out, but the call was very worth my while this year.I don't mind the price of the NFL, it is especially reasonable given the recent decrease. My problem is with the overall cost of their programming and how it typically takes an annual call to get a package priced competitively with their competition.

Does DTV offer internet service? Need to get service at my new residence, and thought maybe I could use this card to my advantage in my reason for switching services. What's the play here?

having to make this call gets more and more annoying every year.
Then don't be so cheap, pay the very reasonable price they are charging, and be happy. :confused:
We have different definitions of "very reasonable"
What exactly do you think is a "very reasonable" price for "pay per view" of over 300 games? Seems to me a charge of less than $1/game or a little over $10 a week is a pretty good value. :unsure:

Loooongtime customer called and this was their offer

Either regular Sunday Ticket plus Red Zone but no mobile for free

-or-

Full blown Sunday Ticket Max for 100 bucks

Will probably call back and see if I can get the end of the baseball package or a movie channel for 6 months for free.

Loooongtime customer called and this was their offerEither regular Sunday Ticket plus Red Zone but no mobile for free-or-Full blown Sunday Ticket Max for 100 bucksWill probably call back and see if I can get the end of the baseball package or a movie channel for 6 months for free.
Went with the second option since I like the Short Cuts and mobile.Called back and got free Starz/Showtime for 6 months and 10 bucks off a month for 6 months

Today I decided to take care of this annual exercise in stupidity.First guy says he cannot offer me any deals and there is none being offered. Before he lets me go I inform him that is a load of nonsense and that I know of many folks who have gotten deals or free ST. He doesn't budge. (1st call goes this way every time)Second call, I get a girl named Shayla or something and the added bonus is I can understand her. I tell her about joker#1 and how he cannot hook me up, how I find it offensive that Dtv plays these games with us every year and how the Sunday Ticket w/o Max is a crying joke and that I will totally be fine with nothing more than my $7.99 Netflix if push comes to shove.She puts me on hold so I can listen to some awesome music (sarcasm). During this time I guess I just want to be done so while I went in thinking its gonna be free or screw it I am gone...I decide if its fair like I have gotten it the last couple years I will just get on with my day.She comes back and says she can do the ST with Max for either 4 payments of 25.99 or a 1 time payment of $100. When they do this, I really recommend that you take the one-time payment because that way next year when they look at your account, there is just that one discount whereas when they see discounts every month for multiple months they will act like they have done you way more of a favor. Hope that makes sense.Now last year, I know I did not get the ST To-go as part of the deal and this year it is included with this MAX package so I am really happy with a one-time $100 for all of that. Totally fair price even if some folks manage to get all the way to FREE. There is absolutely no reason to pay more than $150 for this stuff ever and don't let those idiots give you the $200 package with no RZ or HD...total garbage.Good luck to the rest of you!
Wanna hear a trainwreck of an update? So after paying the $100 like I did, my bill came the other day showing the first payment of six is due...so of course I call to get proper bill amount and make sure we are square.To my horror, these dumb piles of garbage are now telling me that they can't offer me anything and that what I paid before was just the upgrade to MAX. WHAT!?! So they aren't budging and despite common friggin sense, in their distorted eyes I called two months ago because the price was too high and yet left getting no discount but volunteering to pay a one time upgrade fee before I even pay for the ticket itself!!!!I have talked to two supervisors and countless knuckledraggers and none of them can do anything for me...these people are the dumbest things I have ever encountered.I believe they have now credited back my $100 I paid and are willing to let me take my $1200+ per year account and go elsewhere because they can't offer me any sort of deal despite my offer to provide them with pages and pages of people I know talking about getting it for free or for $100 or free plus other discounts. Nice plan Dtv.The good news though, while I cancel my service and go DISH at least I can feel happy about never having to play this dumb game again (although I bet I will do it in some form with DISH also)If it werent for football, I could just go with Netflix all year and save a ton of money.*#!^ DirecTv and I hope nobody else has to deal with this crap from them.
So my escapade is finally resolved. I told em reasonable deal and things go back to normal or I will pay full price for ticket and then cancel my entire account after the season. They took the latter. So I am happy since I am watching everything like normal and after the season I can save hundreds by not paying for TV I can live without. Netflix is $8.I just wanted to add to this thread that the second corporate supervisor I spoke to said DirecTv is tired of the yearly game too and that is why they dropped the price and made the two versions they did this year. She said that they will still have deals for customers based on their accounts and such but made it seem like they are working in the direction of stopping our game. For me, the buck stopped this year I guess. She said I got it for free, for $60 and for $85 the last couple years and thats a lot of discounts. *shrug*I still think its bad math for them to give so many the thing for free yet play hardball with me when I am going to walk away after the season over it. But thats their issue.

Called and just wanted to get Max upgrade for free, that is all! They two first ladies I talked to had absolutely no clue and sent me to another person. After explaining for third time the lady said nothing she can do. I said ok, how much is left on my contract, of course they send me to another person. I get to this very nice girl and I said how much is left on my contract and I don't even want to explain again, she said oh I can help you. I told her what I wanted and she said she can certainly do something, but I said oh by the way when is my contract up, and she says August......ding....ding....ding! Time to work! I got 2 DVR upgrades, so now I have 3, I got another HD upgrade in another room, so now 4 HD TV's in house. Got the NFL ticket with Max for free, Cinema theater upgrade, and all on Demand features! So much for getting nothing, but when your contract is up you hold all the leverage!

Users who are viewing this thread