What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would it take for you to go to the game? (1 Viewer)

We know what you are, now we're just discussing price

• Free tickets

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Free tickets and $1000

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • A beer and a brat

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Free tickets and $1,000,000

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • Hell, I'd sell my wife and kids for that ticket

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Eff off! Don't ever call me again!

Votes: 6 7.6%

• Total voters
Cool local Buffalo weather report

Discusses the Lake Effect, which I have heard, but didn't know what it meant. They're talking like 20's, windchill in the teens. And potentially heavy snow before and during.

I would stay home if this was a week 17 Jets game or something. But a home playoff game? Really?

Who else has been to a really snowy game? It's awesome.

Hold on - free tickets and a million bucks?

I would do that.
For a million bucks, I'd suit up and take some hits in these conditions. Not at like RB, but like Special Teams or something.

I voted for the million, because 1,000 wouldn't be enough. Lot of wiggle room between 1,000 and 1,000,000 though.

There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing
That's not really true. It can get too cold for your eyes and lungs at a certain temperature. Can't really bundle up your lungs, or eyes without at least partially impairing your vision.

You guys are soft. i was a the Vikings-Seahawks game in 2016 where Blair effing Walsh missed a 27 yard FG to win the game. The wind chill was -25, but it really wasn't that bad. It definitely felt colder after the loss.
I was there with my husband who is a lifelong Vikings fan...we live about 2 1/2 hours aways and that was a LONG ride home! It was a challenge to finish our beers before they froze during the game!

You guys are soft. i was a the Vikings-Seahawks game in 2016 where Blair effing Walsh missed a 27 yard FG to win the game. The wind chill was -25, but it really wasn't that bad. It definitely felt colder after the loss.
I was there with my husband who is a lifelong Vikings fan...we live about 2 1/2 hours aways and that was a LONG ride home! It was a challenge to finish our beers before they froze during the game!
Me and a buddy got tickets an hour before the game for $45/ea in the lower level. It’s the only reason why we went.

Right now free tickets + 1000 is beating free tickets + 1 million. Apparently a lot of brain cells have been exposed to too much extreme weather already.
I like the honesty as we're looking for the threshold for cold endurance. It's a singular offer from you to your pal after he offers you a seat. Ain't enough dough for me to compromise my comfort to get stuck in a crowd of football hillbillies drinking schlitz and spitting icicles while freezing my balczak off. My sofa and homemade chili is just fine for the experience.

Right now free tickets + 1000 is beating free tickets + 1 million. Apparently a lot of brain cells have been exposed to too much extreme weather already.
I like the honesty as we're looking for the threshold for cold endurance. It's a singular offer from you to your pal after he offers you a seat. Ain't enough dough for me to compromise my comfort to get stuck in a crowd of football hillbillies drinking schlitz and spitting icicles while freezing my balczak off. My sofa and homemade chili is just fine for the experience.
If you have Peacock

If you have Peacock
Good point. I'll have to hoof it through the cold to join my neighbor in his man cave. Still the better choice, imo.

So far we have 11 folks waiting anxiously by the phone for their friend to call, 15 who have a price but are somewhat reasonable in their ask, 6 that will go if they are fed at the game, 13 that will go but only if you make it worth their while and 4 old, soft, weak-willed shiver puppies that want nothing to do with any of this. Oh, and one person living in a bad marriage who just wants out.

I'd say the votes suggest the stadium in KC will be plenty full to my surprise. Good luck to all who attend!

If I had no interest in going to the Super Bowl when the Bengals were in it, that is pretty much proof positive that I would never want to go to any NFL game. $1,000,000 for me. (Or if there were an in-between option, I'd probably do it for as little as $10,000.)

If it was a game I wanted to watch, sure, I'd go for free tickets. Below freezing and 20-30 below wind chill isn't really that cold. We played in those temps as kids regularly in MN. It's only dangerous if you're totally unprepared and/or do something really stupid. Coldest I ever experienced was something like 50 below with wind chill approaching triple digits. Grand Forks, ND... early 90's. That was no fun. Apparently, the weather people changed the wind chill factor in the early 2000's, though, and -100 in the 90's would equate to "only" about -70 today.

I'll echo the age sentiment. Went to many bad weather Bills games including coldest ever - 1994 playoff game vs. Raiders with temp of 0 and wind chill of -32. Drank slushy Labatts in parking lot but I was in my 20s. Now in my 50s I'd only accept a box ticket and even that I'd have to think about considering the potential for 1-2 ft of snow in Buffalo this weekend.
I went to that game too. It was miserable. I would probably attend for free tickets and $1000 if my Raiders were playing though.

If I were a Chiefs fan, I would happily attend this game, and I'd enjoy it. I have plenty of cold weather gear, and I've attended games in conditions like this before.
As a Bills season ticket holder for 20+ years, wouldn’t have it any other way. This. Plenty of cold gear and traditions with friends/family tailgating.

I was at the NFC Championship Game in 2008 at Lambeau. It was freaking cold, especially the 2nd half. Couldn’t imagine missing that game. Pops and I got bundled up in layers of clothing. Drank some hot chocolate. We survived and had a blast.

Edit to add: my dad was at the Ice Bowl (along with 250,000 other people who claim to have attended — but he was really there)

The attendance for the Ice Bowl was 50,861 fans, which was 9 over the capacity of Lambeau Field at that time.
That's a lot of beer and a lot of brats. And they didn't have the heat warmers and such that we have today. Of course, the live experience was so far superior to the tv experience back then as well where as today we have tilted to to the tv experience being pretty fabulous.

One of the old guys who used to sit near us at Lambeau who was at the Ice Bowl told me they made make-shift personal heaters using an empty coffee can, some oil and a roll of toilet paper. I've heard that from more than a few people - maybe @Alex P Keaton 's dad can confirm. Obviously something that wouldn't be allowed today or any time in the last several decades.

One thing I would say is that the windchill doesn't matter much if you are low in the stadium packed into a crowd. I've been to many late January games in Green Bay and Chicago. It can be brutally cold outside tailgating and walking into the stadium, but when you get packed into the bowl with 50,000 others, its much different - if you are out of the wind and have good clothing. I never use the chemical hand/foot warmers - its not comfortable for me to have that artificial heat. I just have good boots and mittens and follow a few tried/true rules to stay warm while sitting on a cold aluminum bench for 3 hours. When I read "game time temps well below freezing and wind chills of -20/-30" that doesn't necessarily mean much - it could mean temps in the teens and if you stay out of the wind it could be a comfortable night in the stadium.

One thing I would say is that the windchill doesn't matter much if you are low in the stadium packed into a crowd. I've been to many late January games in Green Bay and Chicago. It can be brutally cold outside tailgating and walking into the stadium, but when you get packed into the bowl with 50,000 others, its much different - if you are out of the wind and have good clothing. I never use the chemical hand/foot warmers - its not comfortable for me to have that artificial heat. I just have good boots and mittens and follow a few tried/true rules to stay warm while sitting on a cold aluminum bench for 3 hours. When I read "game time temps well below freezing and wind chills of -20/-30" that doesn't necessarily mean much - it could mean temps in the teens and if you stay out of the wind it could be a comfortable night in the stadium.
Stadium spooning!!!!! Pass. Ha ha

I wouldn't call it a COMFORTABLE night, but I get what you're saying. As someone who is living in a city that is currently -55F degrees outside, there's always things you can do. Wear 3 pairs of socks, layer up 10 shirts if you want to. Even if you take windchill out of it though completely, KC is going to be in the negatives. Kickoff says -4 with a windchill of -22.

The attendance for the Ice Bowl was 50,861 fans, which was 9 over the capacity of Lambeau Field at that time.
That's a lot of beer and a lot of brats. And they didn't have the heat warmers and such that we have today. Of course, the live experience was so far superior to the tv experience back then as well where as today we have tilted to to the tv experience being pretty fabulous.

One of the old guys who used to sit near us at Lambeau who was at the Ice Bowl told me they made make-shift personal heaters using an empty coffee can, some oil and a roll of toilet paper. I've heard that from more than a few people - maybe @Alex P Keaton 's dad can confirm. Obviously something that wouldn't be allowed today or any time in the last several decades.
My dad doesn’t have an exceptional memory anymore at his age, but here were his recollections:
- people were trying to burn various things in the aisles/steps to stay warm. “There was a lot of crazy #### going on that day.”
- men were removing their snow pants and cutting them into strips to wrap around their wives/girlfriends’ feet/ankles. “Some women actually wore heels to the game. Can you believe that? I don’t know what the hell they were out on the prowl for.”
- some of his friends who were massively drunk got frostbite because their brains didn’t realize how cold their bodies were. “My buddy and I didn’t drink a drop of beer or liquor because I thought if we did we might die.”

Glad to have called my pops. He launched into a few stories I hadn’t fully heard before:
- was in the army at Ft Lee (Virginia) and drove with 4 other guys to be at the game. They almost got killed in a massive car accident in Pennsylvania on the way.
- Ken Bowman, the Packer center who just died, never got much credit for blocking on the final play according to my dad. “Bowman was a really good player and a super nice guy. He used to shop at your grandfather’s grocery store and was always the most polite, friendly guy.”
- Jerry Kramer, according to my dad, was always an ###hole and took all the credit for clearing a path for Starr on the final play. “He was always a ****. We saw him around town, at the bars, giant ego. Never liked him.”

There was more rambling and I stopped taking notes. My dad used to drink with Max McGee, I think dated his daughter (or another player’s — will have to get the details). So many people who grew up in Green Bay during that era have stories about hanging out with the team. Pretty hard to imagine in this day and age. Further aside on Ken Bowman, who became a lawyer in GB — he was friends with my FIL, who was a local judge. FIL also said he was a class act “not like many others on the team who were booze hounds.” Lol.

/tangent

I've been to freezing and snowy Bills games and a cold Pats game and have an old man's response- that's a young man's game.

Maybe lying to yourself that drinking more will keep ya warm or whiskey or whatever..
Stubbornly saying "I can handle it" as if there's some accomplishment you'll be noted for later in life. This fueled by people leaving at halftime but..not you, you're gonna make it through.

Those metal on concrete seats in the cheaper section are a test unto themselves.

I've long said how I dislike a few whiners ability to change things about our society when as a while we're usually ok with that same thing. Welp, I'm shocked there hasn't been some cold woke soul that hasn't led fictitious outrage to get a roof at these stadiums.

Could I do it again? Sure. I lived in the Adirondacks 8 years, I know what I'm doing if I gotta be out in the cold for hours. Would I? No way.

Advice- bring an obscene amount of blankets. Your feet will never warm on concrete so put one on the ground to put your feet on

I love this post, I've never seen anyone discuss 30 below as a comfortable night at the stadium
:lol:

-But I believe you Cletius, quite the reverse in Miami-Hard Rock, can be relatively nice day and then you pack in 75,000 and temperature suddenly is well over 100 degrees
The flipside of that coin is women ripping their tops off to try and combat the heat

I can't even comprehend this level of cold. It was near zero part of the time when I went to Minneapolis in December before, thankfully they have a dome.

men were removing their snow pants and cutting them into strips to wrap around their wives/girlfriends’ feet/ankles. “Some women actually wore heels to the game. Can you believe that? I don’t know what the hell they were out on the prowl for.”
At that time, spectators were expected to "dress up" for games no matter how impractical or hazardous it could be.

Users who are viewing this thread