What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Cow! Holiday Computer building (1 Viewer)

I would be willing to bet we will see at least one screaming deal on a PSU between BF and Cyber Monday.

OK - I'm holding off then. I'm looking for screaming deals until Christmas and then fill in the gaps afterwards.

What about that Microcenter Mobo/Processor deal? Need to grab or bide time?
IMHO you won't find a better CPU/mobo combo deal than that (for those parts). If it is better you might save $10 or $20, but you risk the vendor running out of stock in an instant or having to wait in line.

What about that Microcenter Mobo/Processor deal? Need to grab or bide time?
IMHO you won't find a better CPU/mobo combo deal than that (for those parts). If it is better you might save $10 or $20, but you risk the vendor running out of stock in an instant or having to wait in line.
Agreed. The MC deals just cannot be beaten for CPU/Mobo combos.

Now I just need to convince a buddy in Denver to pick it up and mail it to me. (Unless any FBGs would like to do it ;) )

Drifter, do you have a Microcenter nearby? They have recently taken the lead in CPU/Mobo combo deals (even better than Fry's).

Add this Core i5 2500K CPU to your cart, and then add this Gigabyte Z68 mobo.

Adds up to $220AR + tax + gas (store pickup only). Just the CPU at NewEgg is $215, so the Microcenter deal is close to getting the mobo for free.

I'm about to build a new HTPC and I'm holding out for another Microcenter Core i3 combo deal, but if I were buying a gaming rig, the above would already be in my house.

I think an SSD is definitely worth the expenditure, and I echo those that noted Corsair PSUs are worthwhile.
So the Zasada/Mad Cow hive brain is in agreeance that this should be the deal I go with for the heart of my new machine at $250 after tax and shipping?

Drifter, do you have a Microcenter nearby? They have recently taken the lead in CPU/Mobo combo deals (even better than Fry's).

Adds up to $220AR + tax + gas (store pickup only). Just the CPU at NewEgg is $215, so the Microcenter deal is close to getting the mobo for free.

I'm about to build a new HTPC and I'm holding out for another Microcenter Core i3 combo deal, but if I were buying a gaming rig, the above would already be in my house.

I think an SSD is definitely worth the expenditure, and I echo those that noted Corsair PSUs are worthwhile.
So the Zasada/Mad Cow hive brain is in agreeance that this should be the deal I go with for the heart of my new machine at $250 after tax and shipping?
Can your buddy in Denver pick up one for me too?ETA - Does Microcenter post somewhere how long these deals will last? I'll be driving through Ohio next week, where they happen to have Microcenters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Can't speak for MC, but if I were building a gaming rig for myself right now I would have already jumped on this deal.

Can't speak for MC, but if I were building a gaming rig for myself right now I would have already jumped on this deal.
Account set up with designated pick up person and in my cart. Just confirming that my buddy can pick it up.

Can your buddy in Denver pick up one for me too?ETA - Does Microcenter post somewhere how long these deals will last? I'll be driving through Ohio next week, where they happen to have Microcenters.
First, the deals come and go, but generally last a while. I read in another thread that the Houston Microcenter is advertising this through the end of the month so I assume that will be true for all the stores (can't be sure though).

What you might want to do is pick a store you plan to be driving by and order it online for in-store pickup. That will lock in the price and then you have three calendar days to go pick it up. That way you know the price and you know they have stock.

What I'm waiting for is their "buy any Sandy Bridge CPU and get $40 off any mobo" deal to swing back around again. The Core i3 & H67 combo for $120 is just sick. And it's going to be the core of my HTPC.

Oh and FYI on Microcenter deals. Both times I have bought a CPU/mobo combo from them in the last six months, they have sent me an email with a bunch of X% off coupons for other components (cases, RAM, PSUs, etc). Which are great because you wait for other parts to go on sale with a big MIR and you get the % off the pre-MIR price, and then the absolute MIR to bring the price down even further.

IIRC they come about 3-4 days after you make the combo buy. And they have a very long expiration as long as you don't click the links in the email to display the specific coupon codes. Just let the email sit and then when you finally decide to pull the trigger, click the code and it will display a unique coupon for you to print and bring in.

So Drifter, tell your Denver buddy to sit on the mobo and CPU for a week or two in case these coupons come through for you and you want to use them on a BF deal and ship it all at once.

First, the deals come and go, but generally last a while. I read in another thread that the Houston Microcenter is advertising this through the end of the month so I assume that will be true for all the stores (can't be sure though).

What you might want to do is pick a store you plan to be driving by and order it online for in-store pickup. That will lock in the price and then you have three calendar days to go pick it up. That way you know the price and you know they have stock.

What I'm waiting for is their "buy any Sandy Bridge CPU and get $40 off any mobo" deal to swing back around again. The Core i3 & H67 combo for $120 is just sick. And it's going to be the core of my HTPC.
Okay, Mr Conflicting info guy. "Here's what you should do but here's what I'm going to do."Talk to me here.

Okay, Mr Conflicting info guy. "Here's what you should do but here's what I'm going to do."Talk to me here.
For gaming, get the i5. He is saying i3 for an HTPC.

I'm building an HTPC, you're building a gaming rig. If I were building a gaming rig, I would get what you're getting. But I'm not building a gaming rig. I want a low-power CPU with onboard graphics on the cheap, which is great for an HTPC but not great for gaming.Clear?

I'm building an HTPC, you're building a gaming rig. If I were building a gaming rig, I would get what you're getting. But I'm not building a gaming rig. I want a low-power CPU with onboard graphics on the cheap, which is great for an HTPC but not great for gaming.Clear?
Gotcha. I've been out of the hardware game for a good long time so you need to help me with some baby steps.

Gotcha. I've been out of the hardware game for a good long time so you need to help me with some baby steps.
What's your overall budget? This will help determine if we're in SSD territory or not. Do you need a new monitor as well?

What's your overall budget? This will help determine if we're in SSD territory or not. Do you need a new monitor as well?
Don't really have a budget. I'm looking to build off of the best deals the season has to offer. Probably want to keep it under 1k but ideally would be a few hundred less than that by snagging great deals.

Cool, if this deal will last, that's exactly what I'll do. I can order it on Monday and pick it up on Wednesday.BTW, I have an i3 HTPC, it's the perfect processor IMO.

Basically for a good system to run Skyrim or Starcraft 2...I'd need to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $700+ (not including the monitor)...is that about right?

This Phenom II X4 840 seems to be a great price based on the Toms Hardware chart.
Absolutely. AMD mobo's are gonna be cheaper as well.
What am I looking for in an AMD motherboard? Socket AM3 - any particular northbridge or southbridge? Or just select based on # of SATA II/III, USB 3.0, etc?Some other Microcenter AMD deals. Any of these better? The Black Edition means the X2 can be unlocked to X4, right?

This Phenom II X4 840 seems to be a great price based on the Toms Hardware chart.
Absolutely. AMD mobo's are gonna be cheaper as well.
What am I looking for in an AMD motherboard? Socket AM3 - any particular northbridge or southbridge? Or just select based on # of SATA II/III, USB 3.0, etc?Some other Microcenter AMD deals. Any of these better? The Black Edition means the X2 can be unlocked to X4, right?
No, Black means the multipliers are unlocked for easier overclocking. Unlocking cores is a different matter altogether.

Basically for a good system to run Skyrim or Starcraft 2...I'd need to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $700+ (not including the monitor)...is that about right?
SC2 isn't that demanding but is more dependent on CPU performance than your typical game. Without a monitor and without an SSD, you could probably put together a decent SC2/Skyrim box for $550 or $600. But if you're looking for the "sweet spot" and strong capability with the more demanding games (e.g. BF3), I would say you're in the $850 range sans-monitor, including SSD (which is what I'm roughly targeting for Drifter).

I'm in the same boat. Looking to stay sub-$1000. I'm ok with most everything but the box and what goes in it. Keyboard, speakers, monitor and all that are fine.

SC2 isn't that demanding but is more dependent on CPU performance than your typical game. Without a monitor and without an SSD, you could probably put together a decent SC2/Skyrim box for $550 or $600. But if you're looking for the "sweet spot" and strong capability with the more demanding games (e.g. BF3), I would say you're in the $850 range sans-monitor, including SSD (which is what I'm roughly targeting for Drifter).
What are the advantages of SSD for gaming? Are they faster?I realize they're probably more stable since there's no movement and cooler as well...but is there some special reason for SSD?Also...when I was considering SSD...I was thinking of a smaller one for the operating system and some other programs like Office and such and put everything else on the larger, regular HDD. Have I got it backwards?

What are the advantages of SSD for gaming? Are they faster?I realize they're probably more stable since there's no movement and cooler as well...but is there some special reason for SSD?Also...when I was considering SSD...I was thinking of a smaller one for the operating system and some other programs like Office and such and put everything else on the larger, regular HDD. Have I got it backwards?
They just run faster, start faster, etc. I have my home rig set up with a 128 GB SSD which I use for the OS and only certain games I play more than others. The wife and kids get to share the other 4 TB of HDD in this rig for their installs, but they do not get SSD installs. :nerd:

They just run faster, start faster, etc. I have my home rig set up with a 128 GB SSD which I use for the OS and only certain games I play more than others. The wife and kids get to share the other 4 TB of HDD in this rig for their installs, but they do not get SSD installs. :nerd:
Cool...then we're of the same mind...just wanted to make sure there wasn't more to it.

Cool...then we're of the same mind...just wanted to make sure there wasn't more to it.
Once you get an SSD it's really hard to go back. Computers just feel "snappier". IE loads almost instantly. My PC only takes 40 seconds from hitting the power switch to having a usable desktop. The dark side of SSDs is that once you get one, you start wanting to put more and more on it.

I started with a 60GB Vertex and used it as a boot drive with 1-2 games. Then I wanted to put a third game on it, so off to the store I went to get a 128GB drive. Now I find myself wanting to have both WoW and SW:TOR (50GB combined) on the SSD and thus I'm now pining for a 256GB drive.

One thing is for sure, though. Media on an SSD is a waste of time. Media plays slower than all platter HDDs are fast, so aside from a fraction of a second benefit you get starting the file, it makes no difference. My 8.5TB media server is all spinning platters (I shudder at what 8.5TB of SSD storage would cost).

I want in. If somebody wants to live their pc fantasy through me I'm willing to spend some money. goal is to have bf3 run on high

'jamil said:
I want in. If somebody wants to live their pc fantasy through me I'm willing to spend some money. goal is to have bf3 run on high
OK, if you have a Microcenter nearby, get the same CPU/mobo combo Drifter is getting as a start.

'jamil said:
OK, if you have a Microcenter nearby, get the same CPU/mobo combo Drifter is getting as a start.
I am IN! How much $ do I get to spend?

BTW there is a Seasonic 620W PSU that is one of today's Newegg Shell Shockers- around noon PST or such. $67 shipped. Good deal.

Some great SSD deals HERE

$104 after MIR for a 120 GB SSD is a pretty good deal.
Yup, be sure to get a SATA III capable drive though, since the Z68 supports 6Gbps.A word of caution is that that Sandforce drives (OCZ Vertex 3) have had BSOD issues in the past, but supposedly they're fixed now.

Intel's drives are a bit higher on the ranking in terms of being bug-free, and the Crucial M4 is tops in terms of consumer-level reliability. FYI.

What about the DIY combos at Newegg?
These are usually priced very well, but normally you get a less-than-great name on the mobo side (e.g. Biostar) and PSU (e.g. Rosewill). Also the cases tend to be very generic and enthusiast unfriendly.That's not to say that they're a great start for a real budget rig, but if you care at all about the parts, going with better names is worth the spend.Finally, you save so much on the Microcenter combos, it makes sense to buy the rest of the pieces individually and you can get within spitting distance on total price between the two options.All that said, if the right combo deal comes along, I'll bring it up here. I check the Shell Shockers every morning when I get up.

For those of you planning to overclock and/or care about a quiet PC, this is the HSF for you. Basically head and shoulders above the competition on price/performance and is also among the best performers.

It's just coming into the market now, so availability at major retailers is non-existent. I'll advise when it comes in somewhere useful. Plan to spend $45-$50, shipped (which is about 2/3 the price of the competing coolers).

If you don't want to overclock and don't care about noise, then stick with the stock HSF that comes with the CPU.

What about the DIY combos at Newegg?
I had a friend look at mine while it's not the best I found it very reasonable and decent :shrug:This was my deal BUT I am just an average hardware person :shrug:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103942 motherboardhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130605No idea if they are good, but everything cameout to like 450 pre graphics cardEdit: oops that was juist the processor out of stock - see if I can find the package. It was prett cheap for everything. I just had to upgrade my PSU because I bought a video card MadCow suggested

Some great SSD deals HERE

$104 after MIR for a 120 GB SSD is a pretty good deal.
Yup, be sure to get a SATA III capable drive though, since the Z68 supports 6Gbps.A word of caution is that that Sandforce drives (OCZ Vertex 3) have had BSOD issues in the past, but supposedly they're fixed now.

Intel's drives are a bit higher on the ranking in terms of being bug-free, and the Crucial M4 is tops in terms of consumer-level reliability. FYI.
OCZ worth the extra money over agility in the SATA III drives?Pull the trigger here and on the PSU, yes?

So where should I start? I want to be able to play all the newest games with no issues. Would like to stay under $1000. I want a new box and everything in it. Don't feel like I need monitor, speakers, etc. yet.

Start with a mobo?

Users who are viewing this thread