What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Crimson Tide..Roll Lions: Draft day! (28 Viewers)

Is Suh going to get his new deal done before free agency hits? Today is the day if it is going to happen.

Nothing to speak of but resigning Bell. They need to get some secondary, some backers and a receiver before the draft.

Bell said he spoke to Suh, who told Bell that there are currently no negotiations going on with the Lions. Clearly he has no interest in staying here and has no interest in helping the team win.

I'd trade him for a bag of socks and the 3mil cap relief.

Tate signed. 5yrs. Details to come
Mike Garafolo@MikeGarafolo 2m
The Golden Tate deal is not done yet. The Lions employ their own reporter so that wasn't an official announcement. Hang tight.

If it happens, he is a perfect compliment to Calvin. This almost assures they won't draft Watkins, which I'm OK with. They are going corner in draft for sure, Gilbert or Dennard makes this team better on the defensive side. Give us a LB and another good OL and Lions may make some noise.

As always, Rotoworld is quick to post it and give us their blurb. If I could find the tweet from Garafolo, why can't they?

Lions agreed to terms with WR Golden Tate, formerly of the Seahawks, on a five-year contract.
The Lions' quixotic quest to find a viable starter opposite Calvin Johnson ends. Tate was Rotoworld's No. 4 remaining receiver. Coming off a career year where he caught 64 passes for 898 yards and five scores, Tate's numbers have been suppressed by the Seahawks' run-heavy offense, but that won't be an issue in Detroit. A dynamo with the ball in his hands, Tate is most effective after the catch. Even with passing-mad OC Scott Linehan gone from the Motor City, the Lions will be throwing all day, every day in 2014. Tate will be a viable threat for his first 1,000-yard season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very pleased with this. Excited infact. Cant believe there is still talk about trading up for Watkins emanating from us though, that seems far fetched.

Sort out safety and cornerback and this team is beginning to look suspiciously bereft of holes.

Now its official, 5 years for 31 million.
I like it, your get a proven #2 WR that is ready to step in and contribute. Watkins was never going to make to 10 anyway. Now the Lions have more options at 10.
With how they have not even sniffed at a corner on the market, maybe they should draft one? :shrug:
Another option that I heard was drafting one of the stud OTs at 10 and moving Riley Reif to guard and really bolstering the o-line. There are 3 OTs that are probably as good as last years #1 Eric Fisher.

That OL thing is an interesting option but I still think they will draft a safety or corner with their #1 pick.
The Lions have not drafted a corner when they have needed one year after year. With two great prospects, if they don't finally draft one, I think Mayhew should be fired on the spot. This is now my thought process since we signed a legit #2WR. I will be Mayhew enemy #1 if they do not take Gilbert or Dennard. I like drafting OL, but not in first round unless we sign Revis. lol

Are we sure Dennard and Gilbert are that excellent ?

I agree that taking a cornerback in the first is the right choice, but I'm not convinced the Lions are automatically thinking this way.

Mayhew is on last chance saloon, and Caldwell will not be given too much time to get it right. Cornerbacks seem to take longer to adapt to the NFL than other positions. I could see them stacking the offence for immediate effect and trying to make that as potent as possible.

Unfortunately, I could see us taking BPA to a degree or maybe even being foolish enough to go with another WR. Hope I'm wrong though

That OL thing is an interesting option but I still think they will draft a safety or corner with their #1 pick.
The Lions have not drafted a corner when they have needed one year after year. With two great prospects, if they don't finally draft one, I think Mayhew should be fired on the spot. This is now my thought process since we signed a legit #2WR. I will be Mayhew enemy #1 if they do not take Gilbert or Dennard. I like drafting OL, but not in first round unless we sign Revis. lol
Outside of Patrick Peterson how many CBs drafted in the top 10 have done much lately? Neither of those guys are on Peterson's level so I'd have no problem if they passed on CB at 10. I'd still prefer Evans or working a deal to move back a few picks and grab a safety.

I'd hate the move but watch out for Ebron at 10.

Outside of Patrick Peterson how many CBs drafted in the top 10 have done much lately? Neither of those guys are on Peterson's level so I'd have no problem if they passed on CB at 10. I'd still prefer Evans or working a deal to move back a few picks and grab a safety.

I'd hate the move but watch out for Ebron at 10.
Just because ESPN has not hyped Gilbert or Dennard does not mean they are not difference makers, not to mention how deep the WR class is this year.

So unless Suh redoes his deal Detroit is done in free agency right? They had about 10 million in space and resigning Bell and signing Tate took up most of that money.

Outside of Patrick Peterson how many CBs drafted in the top 10 have done much lately? Neither of those guys are on Peterson's level so I'd have no problem if they passed on CB at 10. I'd still prefer Evans or working a deal to move back a few picks and grab a safety.I'd hate the move but watch out for Ebron at 10.
Just because ESPN has not hyped Gilbert or Dennard does not mean they are not difference makers, not to mention how deep the WR class is this year.
Condescend much? Don't watch ESPN but thanks for your insight.

No excuse for Stafford not winning now. His whole career he was able to get by with the "I don't have a #2 WR and a bad defense" excuse, not anymore.

No excuse for Stafford not winning now. His whole career he was able to get by with the "I don't have a #2 WR and a bad defense" excuse, not anymore.
Meh, I'm not a huge fan of Tate. I still hope they draft a WR in the first 3 rounds. It's certainly an upgrade. I was just hoping for more.

Love the Tate signing, he's good enough to keep us from totally fizzling out when Calvin is hurt, should be great as a #2 and the price seems really reasonable to me. He gives us a lot more options at #10 for sure, wonder if Evans would still be in play there if he gets by Buffalo? Seems like he could be.

Re that #10 I am also of the school that it doesn't need to be DB, like The Captain said you have to give these guys time to mature, to think Dennard/Gilbert is going to come in and neutralize BMarshall, Nelson, Patterson/Jennings is really naive... We have stocked up on young CBs the last few years and none of those guys has busted in any way that I've seen just learning the league... One guy I am really exciting about is Chris Greenwood he has been hurt since he came out of Albion but when he was finally on the field last year I thought he looked legit - he's got the size/speed if he can stay healthy. Slay/Bentley/Green/Houston/Greenwood is young group but not necessarily the huge issue some people are making it out to be IMO. If Mack is there or a DE/OT they like why not?

Suh - I don't get the people in the trade him camp and all the angst around his contract, yes he has huge cap hit because he restructured a couple times... the guy is a captain and inarguably one of the best DL in the league. He has all the leverage, more power to him. He might leave sure but that's his decision and it's very doubtful that he's going to pull a Clowney and slack this year if he's planning on UFA at the end. They should have enough room left even given his hit to sign a mid-price guy or two, maybe get Pettigrew back.

Love the Tate signing, he's good enough to keep us from totally fizzling out when Calvin is hurt, should be great as a #2 and the price seems really reasonable to me. He gives us a lot more options at #10 for sure, wonder if Evans would still be in play there if he gets by Buffalo? Seems like he could be.

Re that #10 I am also of the school that it doesn't need to be DB, like The Captain said you have to give these guys time to mature, to think Dennard/Gilbert is going to come in and neutralize BMarshall, Nelson, Patterson/Jennings is really naive... We have stocked up on young CBs the last few years and none of those guys has busted in any way that I've seen just learning the league... One guy I am really exciting about is Chris Greenwood he has been hurt since he came out of Albion but when he was finally on the field last year I thought he looked legit - he's got the size/speed if he can stay healthy. Slay/Bentley/Green/Houston/Greenwood is young group but not necessarily the huge issue some people are making it out to be IMO. If Mack is there or a DE/OT they like why not?

Suh - I don't get the people in the trade him camp and all the angst around his contract, yes he has huge cap hit because he restructured a couple times... the guy is a captain and inarguably one of the best DL in the league. He has all the leverage, more power to him. He might leave sure but that's his decision and it's very doubtful that he's going to pull a Clowney and slack this year if he's planning on UFA at the end. They should have enough room left even given his hit to sign a mid-price guy or two, maybe get Pettigrew back.
I think the people want to trade Suh because he is only one of the best DL in the league. When you are making more money they any other lineman in the history of the league, and you are about to get that kind of money for a second time you better be Reggie White or Warren Sapp. Not just one of the best, but the absolute best. If he really wanted to be a captain and a good teammate he would have resigned before free agency and gave the Lions another 10 million or so to go after some more players to help this team compete.

Sorry, not a huge fan of Tate or the signing. I truly hope he proves me wrong, but he hasn't exactly lit it up throughout his career. Sure, he had a good season last year, but that's one. 2012 was ok, I suppose, but

I just see Nate Burleson all over again...

Sorry, not a huge fan of Tate or the signing. I truly hope he proves me wrong, but he hasn't exactly lit it up throughout his career. Sure, he had a good season last year, but that's one. 2012 was ok, I suppose, but

I can see that comparison if we are talking 25 year old Nate not 32 year old Nate and I think Tate is still more athletic than Nate was in his prime. Burleson produced decently when he played last year. From the dynasty thread, Tate was targeted 93 times last season and caught a team high 68.8 percent of said targets. He also averaged a ridiculous 7.9 yards after the catch. The guy has improved every year, has a super bowl ring and we got him at a decent price, I am not sure what there is not to like.

I think the people want to trade Suh because he is only one of the best DL in the league. When you are making more money they any other lineman in the history of the league, and you are about to get that kind of money for a second time you better be Reggie White or Warren Sapp. Not just one of the best, but the absolute best. If he really wanted to be a captain and a good teammate he would have resigned before free agency and gave the Lions another 10 million or so to go after some more players to help this team compete.
His cap number this year is only so high because he has renegotiated twice now to give them the space, not that he did that out of the kindness of his heart but it's silly to take the 'good teammate' angle here. The rookie salary scale wasn't his fault, he didn't pick himself at #2. The guy's next contract is probably his last. There are plenty of guys in the NFL that are grossly overpaid but he's not one of them. He's definitely one of the best in the league and he still has room to grow.

I hope we can sign the guy to a reasonable extension here soon because I think he does have HOF potential yet and I really wouldn't want to see him on like the Bears. What do you think is a good number for a Suh extension? Atkins 5/55 will be two years old next year and every team will have another $20m in cap space since then.

I can see that comparison if we are talking 25 year old Nate not 32 year old Nate and I think Tate is still more athletic than Nate was in his prime. Burleson produced decently when he played last year. From the dynasty thread, Tate was targeted 93 times last season and caught a team high 68.8 percent of said targets. He also averaged a ridiculous 7.9 yards after the catch. The guy has improved every year, has a super bowl ring and we got him at a decent price, I am not sure what there is not to like.
I hear ya, but keep in mind Tate was about all they had to pass to -- both Harvin AND Sidney Rice were out.

Like I said, I truly hope he proves me wrong. I just don't see it right now. Especially for that price tag. :no: You're chasing him after his best season!

Donny Loved Bowling said:
So Lions are pretty much cap strapped until Suh has a new deal? Huh. Been reading that they are close to an agreement with Ihedigbo.
Yes and he didn't even get an agent until like 5 days before free agency.

You must hold Tate in much higher esteem than his 64 catch sub 900 yard production deserves.

I like the signing, but to imply this is some kind of game changing pickup is a little overboard.

Detroit fans - would like some more insight into Willie Young. Any upside to this dude or he is just depth/rotation guy you plug in for 50% snaps in a game and you will be lucky to get 6 sacks at most in a year?

Detroit fans - would like some more insight into Willie Young. Any upside to this dude or he is just depth/rotation guy you plug in for 50% snaps in a game and you will be lucky to get 6 sacks at most in a year?
He's a good pass rusher. Only 3 sacks last year but he got a lot of pressures/hurries. Not so good against the run and at 6'5, 251 he really isn't built for it.

He's probably capable of earning his contract, but he turns 29 in September so I doubt there's anything amazing to come.

You must hold Tate in much higher esteem than his 64 catch sub 900 yard production deserves.

I like the signing, but to imply this is some kind of game changing pickup is a little overboard.
His 3.9% Drop Rate over the last three years is the lowest of any wide receiver in the NFL with 100 targets.

189 yards on scramble plays in the last two seasons is the third-most in the NFL. Speaks more to Wilson's ability, but Tate fights for the ball.

Led all receivers with 21 forced missed tackles on his receptions. Percy Harvin averaged a missed tackle for every 4.7 receptions in the last three seasons - the only player with a better rate on 100 receptions was Tate, who averages a missed tackle for every 2.8 catches.

Agreed he's not a WR1, but I don't think it is unreasonable he'll improve on his production moving from the team that was 31st in pass attempts to 5th. He'll also be playing the slot more in Detroit, and running more slant routes should take advantage of his YAC ability.

Disappointing FA season for the Lions, but they just didn't have the cap space. Shame you can't plan for something like that. Oh, :hey: Lewand.

His 3.9% Drop Rate over the last three years is the lowest of any wide receiver in the NFL with 100 targets.

189 yards on scramble plays in the last two seasons is the third-most in the NFL. Speaks more to Wilson's ability, but Tate fights for the ball.

Led all receivers with 21 forced missed tackles on his receptions. Percy Harvin averaged a missed tackle for every 4.7 receptions in the last three seasons - the only player with a better rate on 100 receptions was Tate, who averages a missed tackle for every 2.8 catches.

Agreed he's not a WR1, but I don't think it is unreasonable he'll improve on his production moving from the team that was 31st in pass attempts to 5th. He'll also be playing the slot more in Detroit, and running more slant routes should take advantage of his YAC ability.

Disappointing FA season for the Lions, but they just didn't have the cap space. Shame you can't plan for something like that. Oh, :hey: Lewand.
I'm not dogging Tate.. like I said I'm happy with it. I was addressing the post above that seemed to imply this somehow made the Detroit offense into something more than it has been, and that this somehow eliminates any faults affecting Stafford - I don't see anything to support that. :shrug:

Amazingly it isn't the front offices fault for the lack of cap space. They could have had 10 million more in cap if they got Suh resigned, but it is hard to resign the guy when he doesn't have an agent until about 4 days before free agency starts.

Detroit receivers were the worst in dropped passes last year. These kind of stats make Tate look like the exact fit they needed out of a #2 WR. Good signing that will allow them to fill other spots (I'm hoping DBs first) in the draft.

Amazingly it isn't the front offices fault for the lack of cap space. They could have had 10 million more in cap if they got Suh resigned, but it is hard to resign the guy when he doesn't have an agent until about 4 days before free agency starts.
Brown is being offered 3yrs/10mil from SF, go pay him, Cromartie, Thurmond or Finnigan that. Heck even make a run at DRC. No moves on the defensive side of the ball with relevance really bothers me.

Brandon Drop-a-few is back
There was no market for Pettigrew and the Lions gave him 4 million a year? TEs like Pettigrew are a dime a dozen in the NFL.
Get outta town. Why the hell would they make that move?

Well, he is a good blocker - in both the run game, and using his hands to knock down passes thrown his way.
Signing receivers who cant play is deeply embedded in the Detroit psyche. Pettigrew is a player who loses games for you. Crunch time drops, fumbles and penalties were numerous.

Users who are viewing this thread