What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 0-0: Who comes, who goes? (39 Viewers)

The more I think about it the more I’m convinced the Lions need to draft Tua...assuming the medical checks out. Look at the QBs in the playoffs. All are mobile and the best are the most mobile. Stafford is the opposite of the new age QB that fits the NFL. Get out now. Have to believe the Colts would give up their 1st for Stafford in a heartbeat. 

If Tua isn’t ready next year we suck again and get another top pick. If it’s bad enough we have a shot at Trevor Lawrence  or Justin Fields and can either trade back or deal Tua. This sets us up for the next 10 years.

Giving Quintricia a mandate seriously screwed this franchise for another 10-12 years. We need to mobilized a social media blitz to force their hand....or at least give them an idea of what the future could look like. I’m convinced Stafford will quit the game in the next 2-3 years.  I realize Martha is a silver spooner who would tell us all to eat cake but it’s worth a try. 

Who’s with me?....I’m going streaking through the quad!! 

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Flecks next move will be to an SEC school. maybe he puts Tennessee or Florida back on the map, or replaces Kelly at ND. 

He is going to have Minnesota in the a big10 title game before Harbaugh does have Michigan in one. 
Maybe so but he only has to beat Wisconsin.   Not OSU, Penn State and Michigan.  Or should I just say OSU.

Lions winning % since 2000 I believe is second worst in NFL. Surpassed in ineptitude by only the Cleveland Browns.  Somewhat ironic as you can make a case that the Lions and Browns were the best franchises in the NFL in the 1950's.

Basically the Lions have won just a little bit better than one out of every three games since 2000.

The more I think about it the more I’m convinced the Lions need to draft Tua...assuming the medical checks out. Look at the QBs in the playoffs. All are mobile and the best are the most mobile. Stafford is the opposite of the new age QB that fits the NFL. Get out now. Have to believe the Colts would give up their 1st for Stafford in a heartbeat. 

If Tua isn’t ready next year we suck again and get another top pick. If it’s bad enough we have a shot at Trevor Lawrence  or Justin Fields and can either trade back or deal Tua. This sets us up for the next 10 years.

Giving Quintricia a mandate seriously screwed this franchise for another 10-12 years. We need to mobilized a social media blitz to force their hand....or at least give them an idea of what the future could look like. I’m convinced Stafford will quit the game in the next 2-3 years.  I realize Martha is a silver spooner who would tell us all to eat cake but it’s worth a try. 

Who’s with me?....I’m going streaking through the quad!! 
No chance the Colts would give up 1.13 for Stafford. 

The only issue with Stafford is his health. He was having his best season this year. He was on pace for 5000 38/10,  8.6 yards per attempt, 64% completion and 106 QBR. If the doctors think his back will heal and it shouldn't pose any long term issue, there is no reason to draft Tua (who has quite an injury history).

I get the new age QB thing but if a team can't win with a QB throwing for 5k and 4:1 TD to Int ratio then they aren't going to win with anyone. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been wanting the Lions to trade Stafford for years, but I'm resigned to the fact that it isn't going to happen.

With that assumed to be the case, they don't need to draft Tua, but they better take the best offer they get to trade down. 

I think the absolute best news for Lions fans this off-season would be:

1) Tua's health checks out, and he looks to be ready to go at least at some point this season (and appears to be on the road to a complete recovery).

2) Phillip Rivers signs a contract with someone other than the Chargers or retires, and the Chargers don't sign a long-term free agent (a short deal wouldn't scare me).

3) The Panthers trade Cam Newton.

With those two things, that #3 pick becomes awfully valuable, hoping that the Dolphins, Panthers, and Chargers all could potentially get into a bidding war to trade up with the Lions to draft Tua.

But since we are talking about the Lions, I expect all three of those things to happen, the Lions draft Okudah, and the Giants make a blockbuster trade at #4.

I've been wanting the Lions to trade Stafford for years, but I'm resigned to the fact that it isn't going to happen.

With that assumed to be the case, they don't need to draft Tua, but they better take the best offer they get to trade down. 

1) Tua's health checks out, and he looks to be ready to go at least at some point this season (and appears to be on the road to a complete recovery).

2) Phillip Rivers signs a contract with someone other than the Chargers or retires, and the Chargers don't sign a long-term free agent (a short deal wouldn't scare me).

With those two things, that #3 pick becomes awfully valuable, hoping that the Dolphins, Panthers, and Chargers all could potentially get into a bidding war to trade up with the Lions to draft Tua.

But since we are talking about the Lions, I expect all three of those things to happen, the Lions draft Okudah, and the Giants make a blockbuster trade at #4.
If they could get a #2, that would give them 3 picks in the top 36-39 range.

Tua = Marcus Mariota all over again imo.

I can't imagine his draft stock being this high come the draft.

What is up with all this trade Stafford talk? He was arguably better the best QB in the division this season, and having a career year before getting hurt. As long as this doesn't seem like something that will effect him long term(and I've heard nothing to assume it will) QB is arguably the position that is least needed on the team. 

The Lions are an interesting team. They aren't a team that really earned the 3rd pick. They lost some 50-50 games, and lost Stafford halfway through the year. This team is a .500 team in my eyes, with obvious upside if they nail their draft. The best case scenario would be some team falling in love with Tua, and trading with Washington, allowing Chase Young to be there at #3.

I think a pass rusher opposite Flowers, another OL, and a CB would be the top-3 priorities. Hopefully they can stay healthier next year. Stafford, Kerryon, Jones, Hockenson, Hand, Daniels, are all solid players, who all went on IR. This team isn't as far from the playoffs as their record would indicate.

Other than the part about wanting Detroit to get rid of the best QB they have had 60+ years, I agree with everything else in this post. 

What you guys prefer? 

-Drafting Chase Young at 3

- Trading back from 1.03 and getting the 6th pick, a 2020 3rd, 2021 1st, 2022 2nd (similar to the Wentz trade) 

What you guys prefer? 

-Drafting Chase Young at 3

- Trading back from 1.03 and getting the 6th pick, a 2020 3rd, 2021 1st, 2022 2nd (similar to the Wentz trade) 
How cynical have I become that the obvious answer to me is: "it doesn't matter".

High picks, low picks, lots of picks, few picks.... what difference does it make in Detroit? I guess it is easier to root for the team when there are studs on the roster? 

So take Chase Young I guess.

Ilov80s said:
Other than the part about wanting Detroit to get rid of the best QB they have had 60+ years, I agree with everything else in this post. 
It's not that I don't like Stafford, I actually like him a lot.  I would trade him though, because I don't see them getting a good enough surrounding cast for them to compete, especially at his salary.

Not totally disagreeing with you on the logic of it, but I still say there's no way a team with a 32-year-old franchise QB drafts his replacement with the third pick. These guys feel threatened when their teams pick anyone even within sniffing distance of being their eventual replacement. Hell, Ben got ticked off when the Steelers drafted Mason Rudolph in the 5th round! (If only he had known he had nothing to worry about.)

If you pick Tua at 3, you're basically announcing that Stafford is gone within a year (similar to KC with Smith/Mahomes). The difference, of course, is that Andy Reid had job security when he did that (and as it turned out, Smith handled it like a pro and KC made the playoffs). I don't see Quinntricia pulling a move like that in their make-or-break season.
You mean the mid 3rd round? Sorry to be that guy.

Ilov80s said:
What has he won Detroit? Any division titles? Any playoff games?

Why is he so great again? Thrown over 30 TDs twice, but he does throw for 4k pretty regularly though. 

He isnt a elite play maker and he doesnt carry a team on his back. 

Being the best QB a team has had in a while doesnt make him one worthy of his contract or being a the starter for said team any longer.

The team doesnt win with him. 

IHEARTFF said:
You snap Young but he’ll be gone at 2.  
Seriously, if this team has a chance to get Tua and they pass on him. lol FFS I remember when they passed on Mike Thomas for Ashaun Robinson. 

This team is cursed and it will always be until the Fords dont own them. With the news of Ford Motor company lately, Im not surprised of the bad karma the family has brought around everything they own and touch. 

Fords sell the team, they will compete in an instant. The bad breaks, the missed field goals, the bad ref calls, watch how quick that mojo turns when they sell one day. If the Fords didnt own this team, Barry and Calvin would not have retired early. Neither wanted to be around the team for years after they retired.

Keep buying those tickets though because your a fan when any real fan wouldnt pay to watch that trash.

How can the city not protest one game in mass, just one. Have some balls, season ticket holders and not show up for one game. Eat you 80 bucks a ticket for they greater goo of the team you are a fan of. You even go to the preseason games thinking this year is different. 

Teams go through bad spells, what this team is going through can be fixed with some balls from the fans. 

Why is he so great again? Thrown over 30 TDs twice, but he does throw for 4k pretty regularly though. 

Being the best QB a team has had in a while doesnt make him one worthy of his contract or being a the starter for said team any longer.

Just curious how old you are?  Because it could be a lot worse.

I still think we should draft Tua since Young won't be there at 3.  But Tua isn't going to be ready his draft year so it wouldn't make sense to trade Stafford this year anyway imo.  Now if some other team wants to break the bank and give us their first this year and next plus some stuff, for Tua, then they should definitely listen and probably take it.

This post and your following post don’t make sense. Is it Stafford’s fault the Lions aren’t winning or is it the owners?

The only reason I would want to Lions to trade Stafford is because I like Stafford and want him to have at least one chance in his career to win something. A chance to play in a meaningful playoff game in January.

Is it just me, or has this thread taken on a distinct "talk radio" kind of vibe? How long before Stan from Hamtramck weighs in with his proposal that the Lions trade Stafford straight up for Lamar Jackson?

(For the record, I love this thread, and have learned a lot from everyone's collective wisdom about the team. I just feel like some of the stuff being floated here is a tad, shall we say, unrealistic.)

Is it just me, or has this thread taken on a distinct "talk radio" kind of vibe? How long before Stan from Hamtramck weighs in with his proposal that the Lions trade Stafford straight up for Lamar Jackson?

(For the record, I love this thread, and have learned a lot from everyone's collective wisdom about the team. I just feel like some of the stuff being floated here is a tad, shall we say, unrealistic.)
Think they'd go for it?  We could even throw in Danny Amendola.

This post and your following post don’t make sense. Is it Stafford’s fault the Lions aren’t winning or is it the owners?
Is it mutually exclusive? 

Stafford isnt that great and its part because he plays for a cursed team. Sometimes everything has to be black and white for people to have discussions. 

I still think we should draft Tua since Young won't be there at 3.  But Tua isn't going to be ready his draft year so it wouldn't make sense to trade Stafford this year anyway imo.  Now if some other team wants to break the bank and give us their first this year and next plus some stuff, for Tua, then they should definitely listen and probably take it.
Gotta unload that contract. The Lions taking Stafford at 1 in the last year before the rookie wage scale has hurt this team in its rebuild. 

The Rams were able to rebuild once they unloaded Bradford. You need that QB making the rookie money for 5 years. Not super star starter money like Bradfoord and Stafford had. That money then set back teams. The Rams had their low contract with Goff to help rebuild, draft tua, let him sit, move stafford and sign good players with that money elsehwere. 

The Lions have had bloated salary at QB for 11 years with nothing to show for it. 

Is it mutually exclusive? 

Stafford isnt that great and its part because he plays for a cursed team. Sometimes everything has to be black and white for people to have discussions. 
The guy posted a top 5 season all time.. ON THE LIONS.

It is what makes these great players so much more great.. that they did it with this franchise.  Rinse repeat for Barry, Calvin, Moore, etc.

eta - it may no longer be top 5 all time, but it was then.

loser said:
 Yeah, knock it off with this Tua bull####. QB is like the 18th biggest need smh
Agree, but do you really want a CB at #3?  If they can't trade out then I'm fine with Tua, I'd rather spend the pick on a high value prospect then drag a guy who should be drafted at 10 up to 3.

Its the Lions. They should just draft bpa regardless of position or immediate need. 

That said, it seems like another Lions like outcome to have the #3 pick in a draft where the player you probably want will get drafted #2.

loser said:
 Yeah, knock it off with this Tua bull####. QB is like the 18th biggest need smh
Until Stafford hangs it up in a year or two and we spend the next ten years trying to replace him. If Tua is healthy and available there is a strong argument for taking him. Deal Stafford for picks and draft those other needs there. 

The Packers didn’t need a QB when they drafted Rodgers and that worked pretty well for them. 

One big concern is 2 years in a row Stafford has had broken bones in his back.  If he gets hurt again the coming season with all the $$$$$ he has made, the losing, and dealing with his wife's brain tumor I can see him just saying screw it I am done.

One big concern is 2 years in a row Stafford has had broken bones in his back.  If he gets hurt again the coming season with all the $$$$$ he has made, the losing, and dealing with his wife's brain tumor I can see him just saying screw it I am done.
It makes you realize in retrospect how lucky the Cowboys got with Dak (especially given that they only took him after missing out on Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook). So the Lions just need to draft a late-round QB who becomes the surprise starter. Instead, they got Blough.

It makes you realize in retrospect how lucky the Cowboys got with Dak (especially given that they only took him after missing out on Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook). So the Lions just need to draft a late-round QB who becomes the surprise starter. Instead, they got Blough.
I agree as it was reported Jerry Jones wanted Paxton Lynch very bad.

Its the Lions. They should just draft bpa regardless of position or immediate need. 

That said, it seems like another Lions like outcome to have the #3 pick in a draft where the player you probably want will get drafted #2.
The Lions manage to be both incompetent and snakebit at the same time. But I guess there's that thing about making your own luck.

The Lions manage to be both incompetent and snakebit at the same time. But I guess there's that thing about making your own luck.
Regarding the incompetent part …..,the Lions signed Undlin who was the Eagles DB coach as new D coordinator. Eagles fans on this board are thanking Detroit for hiring Undlin.

Wade Phillips was still unsigned, doesn't sound like he was even considered. Hard to accept that this isn't another whiff by the Lions.

Users who are viewing this thread