What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Crimson Tide..Roll Lions: Draft day! (21 Viewers)

Willson’s measurables coming out of college were all better than Ebron’s apparently. He’s had a few years in the league now quietly being understudy to some other bigger names, I think he could be ready to take on a bigger role now without too much downturn from what we had. That six million odd saved can be spent more productively. I agree that they probably got caught out with Fells though. 

We’ll most likely draft a mid round project and/or scoop up another FA type along the way, but I dunno about worst TE situation in the league, I kind of feel like there are plenty other teams in the league that muddle by with patchwork players at TE as well. 

Willson’s measurables coming out of college were all better than Ebron’s apparently. He’s had a few years in the league now quietly being understudy to some other bigger names, I think he could be ready to take on a bigger role now without too much downturn from what we had. That six million odd saved can be spent more productively. I agree that they probably got caught out with Fells though. 

We’ll most likely draft a mid round project and/or scoop up another FA type along the way, but I dunno about worst TE situation in the league, I kind of feel like there are plenty other teams in the league that muddle by with patchwork players at TE as well. 
Baltimore has the worst te situation. That whole offense, yeesh. Maybe Kenny Dixon can come out of nowhere to help. 

As TE2 behind Jimmy Graham, Willson has the same amount of career TDs as "TE1" Eric Ebron. Think about that for a second.
Luke Wilson was basically the starting TE for Seattle for the 2 years before Graham came. He has been in the league a year more than Ebron and is 3 years older. Ebron also has nearly 2x as many receiving yards. Any comparison of the 2 players is off base IMO. Luke has never had more than 22 catches in a year, Ebron averages 46 a year. 

Wilson's athletic measurables were great and that is what got into the NFL because it wasn't his college play. Wilson had 9 catches in 11 games as a 22 year old senior at Rice. Ebron had 62 as a 20 year old junior at UNC. 

Despite the argument, I am sort of playing devil's advocate because I do think if used correctly, Luke Wilson can kind of be what Josh Fauria was (minus the dance moves). 

Luke Wilson was basically the starting TE for Seattle for the 2 years before Graham came. He has been in the league a year more than Ebron and is 3 years older. Ebron also has nearly 2x as many receiving yards. Any comparison of the 2 players is off base IMO. Luke has never had more than 22 catches in a year, Ebron averages 46 a year. 

Wilson's athletic measurables were great and that is what got into the NFL because it wasn't his college play. Wilson had 9 catches in 11 games as a 22 year old senior at Rice. Ebron had 62 as a 20 year old junior at UNC. 

Despite the argument, I am sort of playing devil's advocate because I do think if used correctly, Luke Wilson can kind of be what Josh Fauria was (minus the dance moves). 
Yes, the unforgettable josh fauria. :lol:

I barely remember Fauria being used anywhere outside of the red zone. Luke Willson has an 80 yard TD to his name. Either way, we’re likely to add to TE further still 

I think the lack of tight ends says the Lions like Golladay quite a bit and are going to go with more 3 receiver sets with a tight end to stay on the line and block more. 

Our 1st and 2nd would be roughly fair value for the 8th/9th pick right?

If Nelson is sitting there at the end of the top 10... totally worth it imo. 

I'm seeing him mocked anywhere from 4-10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our 1st and 2nd would be roughly fair value for the 8th/9th pick right?

If Nelson is sitting there at the end of the top 10... totally worth it imo. 
According to the draft pick value chart it is only about 2/3rds of the way there. Would probably have go throw in the 2019 1st to move up 10 - 12 spots. 

Lions signed NT Sylvester Williams, formerly of the Titans.

Williams was cut by the Titans this past weekend and quickly lands on his feet in Detroit where he figures to play the old Alan Branch role in new coach Matt Patricia's defense as an early-down run stopper. Williams turns 30 later this year.

Related: Titans

Source: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter

Mar 21 - 3:36 PM

I don't pretend to know anything about him but I do see a nice rotational option here.
If his year with the Titans mean anything then you should not get your hopes up. I sincerely hope his guaranteed money is close to zero, 'cause that's what he brought to the Titans

It's a 1 year $3.5 million deal. If he sucks, then so what? If he plays like he did for the 3 years he was a starter on one of the best defenses in recent memory, then the Lions got a steal. 
Indeed. I'm only pissed the Titans wasted 7m on his worthless ###. I hope you get a better version of him

Luke Wilson + Toilolo

Jeremy Fowler✔@JFowlerESPN

Lions signing veteran TE Levine Toilolo to one-year deal, per source. Veteran spent last five years with Falcons.

1:01 PM - Mar 28, 2018

It just occurred to me today that if, things had shaken out differently, it could have been the Lions, rather than the Rams, who had Suh and Donald.

OK, probably not; it was always going to be hard to keep Suh, and if they had drafted Donald over Ebron it probably would have made them even less likely to pay Ndamukong. I suppose there's a scenario where Calvin tells them his retirement plans before they give him a big extension so they know they have that money available to lock up Suh.

Really, though, if they had just drafted Donald (or OBJ) over Ebron they would have been much better off. But then they wouldn't be the Lions we know and hate suffer through agonize over love.  :wall:

Wesley Johnson joins Lions    Thu Mar 29, 09:47 AM

Free-agent C Wesley Johnson (Jets) signed an undisclosed deal with the Detroit Lions Thursday, March 29.

Link to story

It just occurred to me today that if, things had shaken out differently, it could have been the Lions, rather than the Rams, who had Suh and Donald.

OK, probably not; it was always going to be hard to keep Suh, and if they had drafted Donald over Ebron it probably would have made them even less likely to pay Ndamukong. I suppose there's a scenario where Calvin tells them his retirement plans before they give him a big extension so they know they have that money available to lock up Suh.

Really, though, if they had just drafted Donald (or OBJ) over Ebron they would have been much better off. But then they wouldn't be the Lions we know and hate suffer through agonize over love.  :wall:
Could have had it for at least 1 season 

Was reading some tweets, work from Kyle Meinke (Lions beat writer) and he said not to be surprised if the Lions spend a high pick on a TE. He was down at the owners meetings and one thing Patricia kept talking about was how important the TE position was and how the Lions needed a difference maker there. 

Was reading some tweets, work from Kyle Meinke (Lions beat writer) and he said not to be surprised if the Lions spend a high pick on a TE. He was down at the owners meetings and one thing Patricia kept talking about was how important the TE position was and how the Lions needed a difference maker there. 
Meanwhile frank Reich talking about how Ebron is a difference maker....I won’t like that move. Will we call signing blount “addressing the rb situation?” Cutting  Ebron and drafting an early te that will likely take a few more years to develop....wtf. I mean if the guy is a bad teammate then do what you must, but this could backfire.

If by early they mean 2nd/3rd.. not necessarily bothersome.  Wisconsin kid?

If by early we take the Penn St kid in the 1st leaving top flight talent on the board at other positions.. I'm gonna be bothered.

Last edited by a moderator:
If by early they mean 2nd/3rd.. not necessarily bothersome.  Wisconsin kid?

If by early we take the Penn St kid in the 1st leaving top flight talent on the board at other positions.. I'm gonna be bothered.
Fumagli needs to show some athletic skills before I have any interest in him. I’m much more interested in Dallas Goedert if we are taking TEs without test numbers.

I'm really hoping Landry or Davenport are still available at their pick.  Some really good DT and RB will be available in Rounds 2-3.

I'm really hoping Landry or Davenport are still available at their pick.  Some really good DT and RB will be available in Rounds 2-3.
If the so called draft experts on Twitter are right, Landry is more likely to be a top 10 pick than he is to be around for Detroit 

We are still missing one I believe.
I don't deny we need a guard or center. Glasgow could play either. However, trading up into the top 10 for a guard would be unprecedented. It's already a major outlier having a guard go top 10. I just don't know if guards are valuable enough to do somethlng like that. 

there should be a handful of worthy interior OLs available in the 2nd round.  i'm not necessarily opposed to taking one at 1.20, but damn sure against trading up for one.  if quinn went in that direction, i'd be extremely surprised.

there should be a handful of worthy interior OLs available in the 2nd round.  i'm not necessarily opposed to taking one at 1.20, but damn sure against trading up for one.  if quinn went in that direction, i'd be extremely surprised.
Lions have the least number of picks in the league. No way they are moving up for anything. Hoping they trade out of the 1st to acquire more picks. 

Lions have the least number of picks in the league. No way they are moving up for anything. Hoping they trade out of the 1st to acquire more picks. 
I don't want them to trade out but trade back would be fine by me. Outside of the QBs and RBs, this is a very underwhelming draft class though and if the Lions think there is a real difference maker available at their spot, it might be worth it hold tight and take him. Trading up won't happen. 

He's just there to compete with Ruddock for back-up which is fine. One of them doesn't make the team, no big deal. 
If Stafford goes down and Cassel is your back up - you'll think it's a big deal. And I say this without knowing anything about Ruddock

If Stafford goes down and Cassel is your back up - you'll think it's a big deal. And I say this without knowing anything about Ruddock
If Cassel beats out Ruddock then that will say everything you will ever need to know about him. My guess is Cassel gets cut. 

Users who are viewing this thread