What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Add/Drop and Waiver Wire wonderment thread: Do you still own Domingo Santana? (1 Viewer)

Dodgers rookie Ross Stripling has no hit the even year Champs through 5 IP.  He's no youngster at 26; he was a college guy and lost a year to Tommy John but he's looked impressive tonight.  He's hitting 92 on the gun and has shown good command.

One more, am looking to pick up an OF in my points league and am looking at one of...

Brock Holt

Jay Bruce

Steven Souza

Thoughts?

Personally, I would probably go for souzas upside as a 20-20 guy and hope he can somehow keep the average respectable.  I have not paid any attention to him this spring, though, so unsure of his current situation.

is holt guaranteed enough playing time?

Personally, I would probably go for souzas upside as a 20-20 guy and hope he can somehow keep the average respectable.  I have not paid any attention to him this spring, though, so unsure of his current situation.

is holt guaranteed enough playing time?
Yeah, was leaning Souza, just not in love with his propensity for low average.

I'd go Souza, Bruce, Holt. Holt is a nice player and the position eligibility helps, but I have a hard time owning guys that likely won't get to double digits in HR or STL.

I'd say Souza and Bruce should be owned in most leagues outside of shallow 10 teamers.

I just picked up Souza over Bruce in my 10 team H2H FWIW.  Hopefully he can cut down on the k's but I have a lot of low k guys so he works on my team. 

Max Kepler worth owning in redraft?
I'm not sure what I'm missing here. Seems like he'll get on base, but I don't see a ton of power or speed potential. Like a middle class Adam Eaton if things break right? I'm sure I'm missing something.

I've got Mazara and I'm trying to land Mallex Smith today. Smith might just suck and probably won't be up long even if called up, but he'll steal bases if/when he's in the lineup. Maybe a bunch of them.

I'm thinking about going ahead and pulling the trigger on Brinson now that he's seemingly the next man up after Mazara. Seems to be more power/speed potential there than with Kepler.

One more, am looking to pick up an OF in my points league and am looking at one of...

Brock Holt

Jay Bruce

Steven Souza

Thoughts?
Is it for a starter? Or reserve? If the latter I'd add Mazara. Even if it's a short term starter (did you lose someone to the DL?) I'd gamble on Mazara. If he doesn't get enough pt, Choo isn't out too long, or he just doesn't hit then drop him this time next week.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here. Seems like he'll get on base, but I don't see a ton of power or speed potential. Like a middle class Adam Eaton if things break right? I'm sure I'm missing something.

I've got Mazara and I'm trying to land Mallex Smith today. Smith might just suck and probably won't be up long even if called up, but he'll steal bases if/when he's in the lineup. Maybe a bunch of them.

I'm thinking about going ahead and pulling the trigger on Brinson now that he's seemingly the next man up after Mazara. Seems to be more power/speed potential there than with Kepler.
Kepler is, and projects to be, a lot better than Mallex. I get the appeal with Mallex, but check out his ISO above a ball and the falling bb rate once getting to aaa. He may have a better bat than Hamilton, but - can't steal first. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Kepler is, and projects to be, a lot better than Mallex. I get the appeal with Mallex, but check out his ISO above a ball and the falling k rate once getting to aaa. He may have a better bat than Hamilton, but - can't steal first. 
Makes sense. This seems like a situation where real baseball and fantasy baseball diverge greatly. Kepler might be a much better player than Smith, but if Mallex can just stay in the lineup (no guarantee, obviously, though being a Braves will help), it's hard to see Kepler being more valuable. 

Smith won't steal a Hamilton number of bases, but the principle seems to be the same. Hamilton is an atrocious hitter that really has no business in MLB. But he's a fantastic fantasy asset.

That said, it really doesn't make any sense for the Braves to bring Smith up right now, even if Inciarte hits the DL or even after the 11 days or whatever are up. But if they are even thinking about it now, you'd think there's a good chance he'll be up by July and the rumors that they are even thinking about it mean that you won't be able to wait much longer to pick him up in a lot of leagues. 

Makes sense. This seems like a situation where real baseball and fantasy baseball diverge greatly. Kepler might be a much better player than Smith, but if Mallex can just stay in the lineup (no guarantee, obviously, though being a Braves will help), it's hard to see Kepler being more valuable. 

Smith won't steal a Hamilton number of bases, but the principle seems to be the same. Hamilton is an atrocious hitter that really has no business in MLB. But he's a fantastic fantasy asset.

That said, it really doesn't make any sense for the Braves to bring Smith up right now, even if Inciarte hits the DL or even after the 11 days or whatever are up. But if they are even thinking about it now, you'd think there's a good chance he'll be up by July and the rumors that they are even thinking about it mean that you won't be able to wait much longer to pick him up in a lot of leagues. 
The last part is where I am. Why would the Braves call him up now? His bat isn't ready and they aren't competing this year. Show some progress with the stick in the minors then get the call in July. You're right in that his speed makes him more interesting in our game than Kepler, but there really is no reason for the Braves to rush him right now. 

He's got his lumps coming, sure, but Nomar Mazara does not seem impressed by any of this. Sure, it's the 81 MPH throwing Jered Weaver he's teeing off on, but it's the same Weaver that's completely flustering the rest of the Rangers. Fielder and Beltre barking over calls and slamming bats. Then there's the kid spraying balls all over the yard. Mazara seemed as excited about his first MLB HR as I am about a random newspaper accidentally thrown at my door.

Here is who I added after going 0-1 this week with a weak team now that Brantley didnt start the season (knew that) and Pollack went down

Picked up Brandon Phillips for Tyler Glasnow (Dont have time to wait for him), Will move Zobrist from 2b to OF

Picked up Mazera for Weiters. Moving Grandal from bench to lineup this week

Picked up B Holt for Buxton (Im officially done with this guy. Three years of waiting and he was -3 this week). Holt eligible at 3B, 2B and OF

Picked up Jimmy Nelson for M Wisler 

Contemplating giving Helickson another chance

Whats the deal with Spangenberg. Never heard of him. Can he stay hot. Would you prefer him over Phillips

Sousa still available in my league but not sure I want to have him and Dickerson. 

long term or just a game here and there
He's started the last 2 games.  Grichuck hasn't been hitting.  I'm hoping it could be long term, but I'm really just looking to ride the hot steak.  I know nothing else about him.  Any St Louis homers care to comment?

Here is who I added after going 0-1 this week with a weak team now that Brantley didnt start the season (knew that) and Pollack went down

Picked up Brandon Phillips for Tyler Glasnow (Dont have time to wait for him), Will move Zobrist from 2b to OF

Picked up B Holt for Buxton (Im officially done with this guy. Three years of waiting and he was -3 this week). Holt eligible at 3B, 2B and OF

Whats the deal with Spangenberg. Never heard of him. Can he stay hot. Would you prefer him over Phillips

Sousa still available in my league but not sure I want to have him and Dickerson. 
Dont need info anymore on OFers. Just traded Wainwright (who I think may be done) and Parra for Bruce and Polanco. 

The WW is pretty thin for my league in pitching... Is Daniel Norris worth a flier since it looks like he could be coming back at the end of April?

The WW is pretty thin for my league in pitching... Is Daniel Norris worth a flier since it looks like he could be coming back at the end of April?
Can you stash him on IR? I wouldn't be using a roster spot on him in a redraft league until he shows a bit more in the big leagues but I'm not big on pitching prospects in general.

Annyong said:
What are their other options? I think they gotta give him the gig till then
He'll certainly get a chance to run with the job if his defense holds up, but I would expect to continue to see Greg Garcia, Jedd Gyorko and (when healthy) Ruben Tejada see time there as well.

Must be nice to be in a league where Phillips, Mazera, Holt and Nelson were available for pickup.

Users who are viewing this thread