What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy football owners: When do you stop blaming the coaching staff and start blaming the player? (1 Viewer)

pinkstapler

Footballguy
Let me be the first to put my hand up for being guilty as charged so this doesn't come off as condescending. Sure, we all recognize this phenomenon happens. Yet we all seem to fall victim to it year after year. And it's obviously not a black and white issue. Sometimes a player DOES fall victim to a coaching staff/scheme. Studying analytics can lead us to find some diamonds in the rough this way, a la Stef Diggs on the Vikings then moving to Buffalo. And more often than not, the most rational response will be "well it's a little bit of both". However, whenever we own the player in question, it seems there is a strong lean towards blaming the scheme/coaches.

I'll say the quiet part out loud, yes Gibbs prompted this post. But I'd rather it NOT turn into a full blown Gibbs debate. Instead, more of a "how long do you trust your process" and "how do you parse talent from situation" debate. We don't draft players (for the most part) by happenstance. Most of us read a ton of profiles, watch a lot of tape, crunch a bunch of numbers into metrics we trend year after year to find what helps us project success. And then we follow the common themes like "draft the player not the situation. Elite players play elite regardless of circumstances. Exercise patience because a few games is a small sample size." All worthwhile mantras that I think can be validated through data. But eventually there comes a time to cut losses, and especially in dynasty, this is a fickle process because you can cut too late and find your investment next to worthless. Or, some will say even worse, cut too soon and watch your investment skyrocket on someone else's roster. This gets even more difficult though when your player is in a rough situation. Pivot from Gibbs and look at Atlanta. Hard to argue that Pitts and London aren't at the very least making the most of the few opportunities they get. But I hate to be the bearer of bad news, ATL is winning with their current scheme. And looking at their schedule, it's very likely to continue. Are you really spending 5 years (what feels like a lifetime in a dynasty league) watching them put up mediocre numbers on your bench, or at best, in your flex? And hoping that the team doesn't just resign them afterwards? And then praying they go to a situation that's markedly better? Or is it better to allow offseason hype and using those analytics that made you draft them in the first place as leverage to cut bait and squeeze as much value as you can out of them from another owner in August when we all think our rosters are full of breakout candidates who we'll ride to the championship?

I ask all this because I don't have a clear answer myself. I do feel like rookies hold shine for at least two seasons, but I do think their mass appeal and a solid chunk of value drops off if they complete a third year of disappointment. That tends to be the break point in my experience, and find myself making those tough decisions after year two. It often feels like if I don't move them then, and they have another meh season in the third year, I wind up just holding and praying they are a statistical outlier and a late breakout I can use, or give me one last opportunity to recoup at least a modicum of value. (DeVante Parker year 5 stands out for me personally).

Edit: I should also add, though we play imaginary football, I also find it interesting when people blame coaching staffs/schemes that are succeeding in real life. It's easier to blame obviously bad coaching staffs in a case like with Justin Fields. But to blame a staff like Atlanta or Detroit feels... off. I think we confound our imaginary game and the real game and expect them to work in tandem when often they don't.

Dynasty sounds like a lot of work and no pay off.

-I found when I did play dynasty that at least half the FFManagers were just wanting to load up on 1st round picks and future players that weren't even drafted yet
-Then 3 or 4 of them understand the goal is to still win a Championship and if they do it w/in the first 2-3 seasons, maybe even have an early fun run.
Then about 5-7 years in the league typically falls apart and you have to start replacing people, either the reality of them ever getting out of the cellar or the team is slowly aging and the person doesn't want to stick around to rebuild.

I focus strictly on redraft and Gibbs will be a player I fell for and some of it definitely due to dynasty heads that fill up this board throughout Jan-Aug, the redrafters don't show up until right before the season starts I'm learning. There is a major mindset difference between redraft and dynasty.

I generally blame my coach for poor coaching decisions but sometimes I blame my GM.

So far this week my coach is to blame as he benched Montgomery and his 22 points. This is partially my GM's fault for furnishing the team with so much talent that these last minute line-up decisions become that much harder (though Montgomery was definitely an inspired draft choice on Labor Day weekend)

-QG

I posted because I like the topic question so I'll also answer that...

-Last night I post 5-6x repeatedly in the game thread that Jordan Love was holding the ball too long, it was apparent.
For whatever reason, the Packers with an injury riddled OL decided to put him in 5 step drops and asking the OL to block for 3-4+ seconds
Now I watch Miami week in and week out and they have a subpar OL, Tua has the ball out before the DL many times can get going up the field out of their stance
That ball is out in under 2 seconds sometimes and there is a laundry list of reasons why that is
Head Coach Mike McDaniel will not allow Tua to stand back there, he's evolved as a play caller and making the offense work best with what Tua can do best.

I blame the coaches a good chunk of the time

But to the main point - real football always is something a fantasy manager has to account for and that is on them.

As Gibbs gets more experience I can see Detroit wanting to turn this into a James Brooks/Dickey Woods type tandem where both regularly eat.

-QG

are we in Week 4?
We are at the start of it.

To pinkstaplers orriginal post, which is a great question btw, i generally view the NFL season in four quarters of 4 game segments. This was a bit easier to do when the season was 16 games long, but its still basically the same now with one extra game.

For projecting players I think the smallest sample size one can use for that is 4 games. So once the rest of the games are completed this week its time to look at that and adjust expectations moving forward based on that.

For non rookie players we also have previous seasons games to work with for making a more solid projection for those players moving forward, but with more emphasis on the 1st 4 games of this season, which accounts for team changes during the offseason that are not reflected in the previous seasons of data.

That is not to say there wont be more changes, there will be over weeks 5-8 and you revise projections again then, and so on. But week 4 is the first lap of that process.

I think this process is applicable to redraft and dynasty formats. The only difference is some teams in dynasty may be focused more on improving in the following season(s) than others. Redraft leagues do not care about next season, so its only what is happening now and in future games that matters.

As far as a difference in the player evaluation, there is none except for rookie players we dont have a full season of data to evaluate them by. Many rookie players dont break out until later in the season. Also many players improve their performance in season two of their careers. So you give these players more time before deciding this is who they are than the other players. Some times a player is injured their rookie season and does not have many games because of that, or they didnt have many games to show us who they are in their rookie year due to not breaking out until later in their rookie season. So you need to be more paitent with these players before concluding this is who they are.

Basically how that works is still using the 4 game segments, but you are looking for a full seasons worth of games before saying ok this is the foundation of who I think this player is and is going to be.

As far as the coaches influence on this of course thats a factor, but that is being accounted for in the 4 game samples anyways, so not really independent from this process.

During the offseason you might adjust expectations for players who get new coaches by going to another team, or the team they are on changing coaches, but I woukdnt go too far with this. The players still are who they are. Changes in team that affect these things are offensive lines and QB play as well as the coaches. Those likely matter more than the coaches do.

A coach can scheme all they want, they still need to work with the players they have.

Have to watch full games to really know. Can't watch red zone or watch highlights or read stats even if they're "next gen".

Gibbs situation right now if pretty easy. He's not being put in a position to succeed. He may never be in Detroit. Takes a certain kind of coach to use a guy with non traditional skills and the Lions may not have that currently.

Have to watch full games to really know. Can't watch red zone or watch highlights or read stats even if they're "next gen".

Gibbs situation right now if pretty easy. He's not being put in a position to succeed. He may never be in Detroit. Takes a certain kind of coach to use a guy with non traditional skills and the Lions may not have that currently.
So let's say with Gibbs this first four weeks of usage and production continues through the remainder of this season, and into next season. And we are now at the same spot week 4 2024; what would be your game plan as an owner moving forward? It feels like regardless of the why, whether we say it's coaching/usage or talent/ability or a mix of both, it's fair to say he's not meeting our fantasy expectations. What would be your play and why?

are we in Week 4?

To pinkstaplers orriginal post, which is a great question btw, i generally view the NFL season in four quarters of 4 game segments. This was a bit easier to do when the season was 16 games long, but its still basically the same now with one extra game.

For projecting players I think the smallest sample size one can use for that is 4 games. So once the rest of the games are completed this week its time to look at that and adjust expectations moving forward based on that.

For non rookie players we also have previous seasons games to work with for making a more solid projection for those players moving forward, but with more emphasis on the 1st 4 games of this season, which accounts for team changes during the offseason that are not reflected in the previous seasons of data.

That is not to say there wont be more changes, there will be over weeks 5-8 and you revise projections again then, and so on. But week 4 is the first lap of that process.

I think this process is applicable to redraft and dynasty formats. The only difference is some teams in dynasty may be focused more on improving in the following season(s) than others. Redraft leagues do not care about next season, so its only what is happening now and in future games that matters.

As far as a difference in the player evaluation, there is none except for rookie players we dont have a full season of data to evaluate them by. Many rookie players dont break out until later in the season. Also many players improve their performance in season two of their careers. So you give these players more time before deciding this is who they are than the other players. Some times a player is injured their rookie season and does not have many games because of that, or they didnt have many games to show us who they are in their rookie year due to not breaking out until later in their rookie season. So you need to be more paitent with these players before concluding this is who they are.

Basically how that works is still using the 4 game segments, but you are looking for a full seasons worth of games before saying ok this is the foundation of who I think this player is and is going to be.

As far as the coaches influence on this of course thats a factor, but that is being accounted for in the 4 game samples anyways, so not really independent from this process.

During the offseason you might adjust expectations for players who get new coaches by going to another team, or the team they are on changing coaches, but I woukdnt go too far with this. The players still are who they are. Changes in team that affect these things are offensive lines and QB play as well as the coaches. Those likely matter more than the coaches do.

A coach can scheme all they want, they still need to work with the players they have.
Totally agree on just about all points. I tend to reside firmly in the middle of black and white. So it feels that week by week we will always have a reason (I'm avoiding the word excuse, cause sometimes they are truly valid points) a player performed the way they did. Bad matchup, negative game script, playing while injured, defense took him out the game, coaches not using them right, etc. etc. I'm trying to figure out when is the breaking point, regardless of validity, that we just say "ya know.... it's just not working out". And sometimes, even after that point, I think we still can't necessarily lay it on the player. But just the situation/external factors are too much to overcome and waiting just is no longer worth it. I think I tend to define my timeline more by their external value, ie. what can I get for selling them, even more so than the intrinsic factors. Which might be bad process, but so far it's yielded mostly positive results. I know in the history of playing there are more players I regret holding than players I regret trading. It still feels like there should be a better way though.

are we in Week 4?

Totally agree on just about all points. I tend to reside firmly in the middle of black and white. So it feels that week by week we will always have a reason (I'm avoiding the word excuse, cause sometimes they are truly valid points) a player performed the way they did. Bad matchup, negative game script, playing while injured, defense took him out the game, coaches not using them right, etc. etc. I'm trying to figure out when is the breaking point, regardless of validity, that we just say "ya know.... it's just not working out". And sometimes, even after that point, I think we still can't necessarily lay it on the player. But just the situation/external factors are too much to overcome and waiting just is no longer worth it. I think I tend to define my timeline more by their external value, ie. what can I get for selling them, even more so than the intrinsic factors. Which might be bad process, but so far it's yielded mostly positive results. I know in the history of playing there are more players I regret holding than players I regret trading. It still feels like there should be a better way though.
Yeah well I agree with your earlier point that FF managers, especially in dynasty will wait too long before making a decision on a player.

Its hard to say exactly when one should make a judgement about the players value. There are some outside factors that can influence this outside of the specific player as you say. Your current goals and roster construction being some of these.

If your team has enough startable depth at a position that is the same as the player in question then you can afford to be more paitent with that player and wait for deal to come to you. If you dont and you want to compete then you are more forced to make a change.

That change may not involve that specific player, it could be something else. But yeah thats the ancilarary aspects of these decisions.

Roster space is another factor here. Managers who wait too long to make changes will end up having too many roster clogger type players and there is an opportunity cost involved in that. I think you make moves when you need to and not worry about if the players you are getting rid of end up going off later on down the line for another manager as long as what you replaced them with helped you improve your team using the information you had at the time of making that decision. Whether this is a trade or trading with the waiver wire.

You dont want to make knee jerk short term decisions either. Especially in the early part of the season like right now. But one way or another you should always be looking to improve your team.

As far as the intrinsic timing of this, I think I already described my view about that. Im looking for 16 game samples for a foundation of the player value and maybe as much as 20 games if that is all the player has in their career so far.

I prefer 3 year sample sizes for projecting players idealy. But you have to make calls about players sooner than that. Thats waiting too long. If there is that much data available then great, I feel better about projections based off that than ones with less, but I am only going to wait half as long as that or less to actually make a call.

To give an example that includes some caveats in what I mean here in case that is not clear.

Travis Etienne. He missed his rookie season due to injury. Still starting at zero at the start of season 2 because of that. Still using my pre and post draft valuation for him then. Played full 17 games season 2. Good enough sample to make a reasonable call on him, but I still expect some improvement the following season the same as I would if he had played his rookie season going in to year 2. After this 4th game in his 2nd season I can make an even better call. Midway this season I will pretty much lock that in.

When I rank rookie players (I didnt do this for 2023 at all and not really 2022 either) i tier their upside which I expect them to reach by their 3rd season in the league.

I will make a call on the accuracy of that prediction sooner than this almost always, but sometimes it does take that 3rd season to really be sure. Especially TE or QBs.

I generally start with the presumption that coaches and GMs not only know more about football than me, but also know specific factors in each situation that I'm not privy to. So when it comes to complex decisions like play calls and target share and such, I'm reluctant to criticize them too definitively. Why isn't Gibbs getting more touches? I can think of a million different reasonable explanations that don't rely on "Because Campbell and Johnson are stupid". Maybe he's not ready yet. Maybe the game plans so far haven't played to his strengths. Maybe the Lions already figured out he's not as good as they thought.

On the other hand, I'm all for blaming coaches and GMs where the decision is a pretty discrete one ("Should they have gone for it on 4th down in this specific situation?") or where we have enough data to rule out most other explanations. For example, while I think it's too soon to draw any conclusions regarding Gibbs, I think I've seen enough of the Falcons at this point that I'm running out of rational explanations for why they used two straight Top 10 picks on talented pass catchers to whom they never throw the ball

I generally start with the presumption that coaches and GMs not only know more about football than me, but also know specific factors in each situation that I'm not privy to. So when it comes to complex decisions like play calls and target share and such, I'm reluctant to criticize them too definitively. Why isn't Gibbs getting more touches? I can think of a million different reasonable explanations that don't rely on "Because Campbell and Johnson are stupid". Maybe he's not ready yet. Maybe the game plans so far haven't played to his strengths. Maybe the Lions already figured out he's not as good as they thought.

On the other hand, I'm all for blaming coaches and GMs where the decision is a pretty discrete one ("Should they have gone for it on 4th down in this specific situation?") or where we have enough data to rule out most other explanations. For example, while I think it's too soon to draw any conclusions regarding Gibbs, I think I've seen enough of the Falcons at this point that I'm running out of rational explanations for why they used two straight Top 10 picks on talented pass catchers to whom they never throw the ball
Well the Falcons dont have good enough QB play to take advantage of their receivers right now. Pitts had a good rookie season with Matt Ryan who was very near the end of his career at that point, but still better than what they have at QB now.

Thats certainly affecting their decision to run the ball as they have.

I dont think this fully excuses their decisions in the draft. Maybe they should have taken a QB instead of London.

Just saying that is part of it. They still had Ryan when they took Pitts.

Teams do draft BPA over need at times.

Eta - just looking back at the 2022 draft and seems pretty clear it was not a strong draft for the QB position. The 1st QB selected was Kenny Pickett by the Steelers at pick 20. The Falcons selected London at pick 8 so this looks like BPA to me.

The next QB selected was Desmond Ridder in the 3rd round by the Falcons so no QBs were deemed worthy of the 8th overall pick here. The Steelers may have reached with their pick of Pickett at pick 20 drafting for need. That remains to be seen.

Could some picks other than London have been better for the Falcons at that spot? Maybe. Chris Olave seems to be the better WR here but Olave likely would have struggled with Mariota at QB as welll.

Im personally not a fan of London but it does seem they thought he was the best pick for them there. The higher profile defensive players were gone at that point. There were some offensive linemen but the Falcons had invested some pretty high picks at those positions in previous drafts.

Last edited:
I do miss predictable coaches in terms of situation which is less prevalent today

I once traded for Gerald Riggs based on him having like a 3 carry for 4 yard stat line because I rightly concluded that Joe Gibbs used him as his goal-line back. He got like 15 TDs after that.

Traded away the #1 waiver rights to Don Beebe the week after his famous 4 TD game.

Why yes, yes we did score the games via newspaper...wait you don't what a newspaper is...speak up sonny!

-QG

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sick of watching Pederson run ETN up the middle over and over for 2 yards.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sick of watching Pederson run ETN up the middle over and over for 2 yards.
Press Taylor I think is calling plays...but totally agree with this sentiment. I'm watching Jax today thinking the playcalling is horrible, the only guy they're even attempting to set up for success is Engram with motion and getting him space.

Users who are viewing this thread