What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Add/Drop and Waiver Wire wonderment thread: Do you still own Domingo Santana? (4 Viewers)

Picked up buehrle for a 2 start week vs hou and bal.

Is it worth benching 1-start Cobb at Cincy?
need mOre info than that
Innings Pitched (IP) 3

Earned Runs (ER) -2

Losses (L) -5

Saves (SV) 5

Strikeouts (K) 1

Hits Allowed (H) -1

Walks Issued (BB) -1

Quality Starts (QS) 5

I expect about a 15-point game from Cobb at Cincy (6.2 IP, 6 K, 3 ER, 9 H/BB), whereas Buehrle could have a 35 pt game vs. Hou and like a -10 against Bal if he does what he did last year against those teams.

I guess the question is whether we think Buehrle as enough chance at good starts to outweigh the lower, more predictable Cobb start.

Since you don't get points for wins I lean Cobb, but it's definitely close. Whatever good Buehrle gives you vs Houston could easily be offset against Baltimore. If you got credit for wins I'd roll the dice on the two start guy, but in this format the better arm in a not awful matchup would get my vote. Most of the time.

Really tempted to start Ervin Santana vs the Mets but hesitant because its his first start. Should I start him over any of these guys in my weekly?

Gray @SEA

Masterson @CHW

Really digging through the trash heap at SS. Any thoughts on these jokers?

Alcides (current starter)

Jeter (surprise cut yesterday. put in a small bid that almost certainly won't be enough)

Crawford (leaning here over the course of the season).

Yunel

Jordy Mercer

Hey Eephus, is there any chance Brandon Hicks can swindle more and more time at 2B until Scutaro gets back (any clue when that might happen)? He strikes out at a comical rate, but I'm a sucker for any whiff of power.

Who knows, maybe the Giants can fix him. They were finally able to get Belt to stop holding the bat like a 5 year-old that's never heard of baseball.

Also, any guesses on which of these stud SS prospects get the call first?

I probably need to look to get Russell or Lindor rostered in the next month or so (Baez taken)

Last edited by a moderator:
pollard, Owings not available? If not, looking at that motley crew, Id say Jeter is the best option, Alcides is second

pollard, Owings not available? If not, looking at that motley crew, Id say Jeter is the best option, Alcides is second
Sadly, no. Snapped up for a buck at the end of the auction.

My Jeter bid actually made it. I might keep both and platoon them. It could be decent statistically with Jeter balancing out Alcides' OBP, but the thought of burning 2 roster spots to still have the worst SS production in the league makes me want to vomit.

Hey Eephus, is there any chance Brandon Hicks can swindle more and more time at 2B until Scutaro gets back (any clue when that might happen)? He strikes out at a comical rate, but I'm a sucker for any whiff of power.

Who knows, maybe the Giants can fix him. They were finally able to get Belt to stop holding the bat like a 5 year-old that's never heard of baseball.
Bochy said Hicks will play 2B against LHP. It's not like any of the other candidates are Nap Lajoie so he could expand this into a full time role. Or he could be in Fresno next week.

Scutaro has "resumed baseball related activities" which may just mean scratching and spitting.

Really tempted to start Ervin Santana vs the Mets but hesitant because its his first start. Should I start him over any of these guys in my weekly?

Gray @SEA

Masterson @CHW
I wouldn't bench Gray for just about anyone until he gives me a reason to consider it.

Sadly, no. Snapped up for a buck at the end of the auction.My Jeter bid actually made it. I might keep both and platoon them. It could be decent statistically with Jeter balancing out Alcides' OBP, but the thought of burning 2 roster spots to still have the worst SS production in the league makes me want to vomit.
if it's a daily league Jeter/Alcides is the way to go. Start Jeter whenever he plays, but since his days off will be frequent sub in Alcides whenever that happens and hope it's a 1-4 with a steal sorta day.

Masterson is 5-1 with a 2.28 ERA @ CHW in his career.
yeah just noticed he threw TWO shutouts vs CHW last year. Yeah I know Chicago's lineup is better but its hard to ignore that.
Gillespie is the only one in the lineup who has had any success vs. him. DeAza has a bomb, but has been otherwise neutralized. Masterson historically dominates righties, so Abreu and Garcia shouldn't be too concerning. Eaton's the only real wildcard.

Real difficult to justify benching him this week too. I'm starting him and Gray over Burnett, Lincecum, and Eovaldi.

Can we talk position eligibility for a second...

In particular, Boegarts should be SS eligible soon enough right?

What about Solarte? He should have pick up a different spot too I would assume?

Boegarts has 7 games at SS and Solarte has 6 games at 3B. Leagues/sites are different, but 10 games is the standard for adding a new position, I think.

Everyone is loving this Mariners offense all of a sudden. Its amazing what Cano (or the Angels pitching) has done to change everyone's view. It should be interesting to see which it is. I still think guys like Smoak, Almonte, & Ackley are not fantasy options. I think Miller is for real
If Miller is real, then the guy hitting in front of he and Cano is a fantasy option as long as he's getting on-base. Almonte was a .400 OBP guy in the minors last year, which coincided with an improved walk-rate (which so far has carried over in the first couple of games this season).

Who knows what'll happen, but he seems like the sort of guy that should be owned in a lot of leagues to me.
I dont knoiw how much sense that makes. Guys like Harper, Werth, and Desmond are fantasy studs yet the guy who hits in front of them (Span) is barely a fantasy option.
If Almonte also has a .327 OBP, then no, he won't be a great fantasy option.

Even a very limited offensive player like Span, in the right situation, can be useful. He doesn't get on base very much, has no power, barely useful in steals, but the 75 runs he scored was enough to put him at OF46 last year (ESPN Player Rater). Right behind Cespedes and ahead of Fowler and Bourne.
I see Almonte as kind of an Adam Eaton Lite but I have more faith in Eaton's on-base skills.

I also don't trust Seattle's offense. They should be improved from last year but they scored fewer runs last year than Washington, even with the DH.
Yeah, definitely hard to trust or know exactly what to make of Almonte's improvements from last year, and I agree he seems like 10-25 might be his best case. And there seem to be a lot of 10-25 guys. Useful, but a lot of them.
I don't love Almonte and don't think much of his upside, but there were only eight guys in all of baseball last year who went 10-25

Segura

A.Rios

S.Marte

C.Gomez

Trout

McLouth

Kipnis

McCutchen
I was more referring to a type of player than a specific statistical benchmark.

Guys that'll probably give you 7-12 HRs and 18-30 SBs.

There are many of them, which is why nobody really cares about Almonte.
I care about Almonte! He can definitely be a .260 hitter with 7 hr's and 18 steals, and score 60 runs. OR, hit ,280, 10+ hrs, 30 steals and score 90 ! ROTO he should be rostered for sure and started in my opinion while he's producing. Pts leagues, he's still waiver wire fodder.

Everyone is loving this Mariners offense all of a sudden. Its amazing what Cano (or the Angels pitching) has done to change everyone's view. It should be interesting to see which it is. I still think guys like Smoak, Almonte, & Ackley are not fantasy options. I think Miller is for real
If Miller is real, then the guy hitting in front of he and Cano is a fantasy option as long as he's getting on-base. Almonte was a .400 OBP guy in the minors last year, which coincided with an improved walk-rate (which so far has carried over in the first couple of games this season).

Who knows what'll happen, but he seems like the sort of guy that should be owned in a lot of leagues to me.
I dont knoiw how much sense that makes. Guys like Harper, Werth, and Desmond are fantasy studs yet the guy who hits in front of them (Span) is barely a fantasy option.
If Almonte also has a .327 OBP, then no, he won't be a great fantasy option.

Even a very limited offensive player like Span, in the right situation, can be useful. He doesn't get on base very much, has no power, barely useful in steals, but the 75 runs he scored was enough to put him at OF46 last year (ESPN Player Rater). Right behind Cespedes and ahead of Fowler and Bourne.
I see Almonte as kind of an Adam Eaton Lite but I have more faith in Eaton's on-base skills.

I also don't trust Seattle's offense. They should be improved from last year but they scored fewer runs last year than Washington, even with the DH.
Yeah, definitely hard to trust or know exactly what to make of Almonte's improvements from last year, and I agree he seems like 10-25 might be his best case. And there seem to be a lot of 10-25 guys. Useful, but a lot of them.
I don't love Almonte and don't think much of his upside, but there were only eight guys in all of baseball last year who went 10-25Segura

A.Rios

S.Marte

C.Gomez

Trout

McLouth

Kipnis

McCutchen
I was more referring to a type of player than a specific statistical benchmark.

Guys that'll probably give you 7-12 HRs and 18-30 SBs.

There are many of them, which is why nobody really cares about Almonte.
I care about Almonte! He can definitely be a .260 hitter with 7 hr's and 18 steals, and score 60 runs. OR, hit ,280, 10+ hrs, 30 steals and score 90 ! ROTO he should be rostered for sure and started in my opinion while he's producing. Pts leagues, he's still waiver wire fodder.
Oh, I agree. I like him. I brought him up last Thursday and folks weren't very excited about him.

yea he was a .270 avg/.350 obp in the minors. Not a great OBP, but servicable enough to stay in the leadoff spot. And this Mariner offense doesnt look 1/2 bad.

I'm very intrigued by this kid, at least in roto leagues.

Boegarts has 7 games at SS and Solarte has 6 games at 3B. Leagues/sites are different, but 10 games is the standard for adding a new position, I think.
Ours is 20. I see 5 a lot too.
10 is the standard "default setting" for most league hosts. As for the original question, check your league rules... it should be defined in there somewhere.

I thought I was over Mark Reynolds, but I'm not ready to quit him yet.

3B is pretty thin and there aren't many that will hit 20 HRs this year with potential for 30. There probably won't be 10 that hit 20 HRs this year without a horrible OBP. If Middlebrooks was 100% owned a few days ago, certainly Reynolds is worth a flyer. Hell, a week ago, there some people that talked themselves into Moustakas.

I trust my man beat out Lyle freakin' Overbay for ABs. Well, not totally, but if he can, he's gonna put some balls in the seats

He's getting his 3rd start in a row today.

3B is pretty thin and there aren't many that will hit 20 HRs this year with potential for 30. There probably won't be 10 that hit 20 HRs this year without a horrible OBP. If Middlebrooks was 100% owned a few days ago, certainly Reynolds is worth a flyer. Hell, a week ago, there some people that talked themselves into Moustakas.

I trust my man beat out Lyle freakin' Overbay for ABs. Well, not totally, but if he can, he's gonna put some balls in the seats

He's my starting utility guy in 16 team Cake. I think I could do a lot worse and I'm keeping an eye him for my other leagues.

Doctor Detroit said:
pollardsvision said:

He's my starting utility guy in 16 team Cake. I think I could do a lot worse and I'm keeping an eye him for my other leagues.
2 for 5, no K's and eating steak for the third straight game. :hifive:

Is this Colabello guy for real? H2H AL only, might take a flyer on him.
probably not in a mixed, but an only? Absolutely. Probably only a 240-250 hitter with modest power (for a 1b), but he is going to get at bats in the middle of the order. That's starting caliber in an only, especially of this hot streak is an extended one.

Thanks guys. Honestly didn't know much about him until I read some stuff tonight. I have a low waiver spot and in need of SP after Moore's elbow but I'll see if he slips through the cracks.

In an average league, Aybar or Alcides Escobar?
hope Alcides start running. You're going to want to replace Aybar every week and constantly get irritated that you can't find someone better. Eventually you will say screw it and take a shot on a young guy coming off three or four hot games and hope for the best. Boring is fine when they are productive, but Aybar just isn't productive enough.

In an average league, Aybar or Alcides Escobar?
I think they are pretty much even, but I'd lean towards Alcides.

If Aybar's SB decline holds or continues, then he's just not a terribly useful player. His entire value might lie in his AVG, and I'm not a fan of those type of players. A bad BABip year and they can be worthless.

Alcides is more likely to steal 20 bases and he could get some BABip regression so to help his AVG not completely suck.

Thanks guys. Honestly didn't know much about him until I read some stuff tonight. I have a low waiver spot and in need of SP after Moore's elbow but I'll see if he slips through the cracks.
With Arcia and/or Willingham out, he's playing full time. When both of them return there's more of a crunch...so basically he needs to keep hitting to play this much. I picked him up in newza. :shrug:

Not an add yet in 99% of leagues yet, but keep a close eye on Carrasco. He's getting closer mentally and the stuff is there. When it starts to click you want to be there.

Not an add yet in 99% of leagues yet, but keep a close eye on Carrasco. He's getting closer mentally and the stuff is there. When it starts to click you want to be there.
Who?
fifth starter for the Indians, for all the talk about Salazar they are very similar pitchers. Salazar is over hyped, Carrasco under. Only real difference between them is Salazar lost eighteen months to TJ. He's gotta be more efficient the next couple of turns or he may get replaced by Bauer though. If he gets his mind right he could be special.

Users who are viewing this thread