What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (10 Viewers)

yeah right, keep telling yourself that ......... the draw that weed has for Gordon is like the draw liquor has on Blackmon - its incredibly strong, it is all he wants to do and neither of them have proven strong enough to break free of the chains

we all battle demons - maybe pot isn't addictive to you, but obviously its a massive problem for Gordon

and its illegal

and its against NFL policy

and still he cannot get away from it

yeah right, keep telling yourself that ......... the draw that weed has for Gordon is like the draw liquor has on Blackmon - its incredibly strong, it is all he wants to do and neither of them have proven strong enough to break free of the chains

we all battle demons - maybe pot isn't addictive to you, but obviously its a massive problem for Gordon

and its illegal

I agree that Gordon seems to have a problem. I don't think that stems from the marijuana so much as it stems from Gordon. You can get "addicted" in the sense you're describing to just about anything - shopping, weight loss, sex, collecting pets, whatever. That doesn't make the addiction an inherent part of the thing you're addicted to. Alcohol causes physical dependence in a way that marijuana simply doesn't.

and its illegal

Many use tattoos to express what's paramount to them. Pix of Gordon's back may lead to the truth. I didn't see many footballs in that tat.

Or maybe instead of assuming addiction, we just accept that under-educated young men in their 20's with access to money, women, drugs and fast cars will often find a way to turn that combination into trouble. Even without the added factors of being rich and famous, youth will make you do stupid crap with no regard for the consequences. Lack of perspective isn't necessarily addiction.

I get what you're saying Henry, but it's a matter of degree.

Long-term marijuana use can lead to addiction; that is, people have difficulty controlling their drug use and cannot stop even though it interferes with many aspects of their lives. It is estimated that 9% of the people who use marijuana will become dependent on it.
People can become dependent on anything -- absolutely. But when 1 out of every 11 users does so it's pretty hard to suggest there might not be something addictive in the thing itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are drafting today before any news breaks, what round would you take him?
After my starting lineup (possibly excluding defense and kicker) have been set. That's like round 8 or 9 or so, depending on league settings.
This was more or less my mentality. I did have to grab some value picks that were there (foles in the 10th In a 10 teamer as a QB2)

The bench guys are so fluid in fantasy, this is just the kind of lottery shot to go for I think

Man, it would be beautiful if he somehow got 0-4 games. That would be like getting a free 2nd round draft pick added to any team that took him.
It would be beautiful if a person who broke the rules in stage 3 got 0-4 games?

This is the problem with this thread and has been. People being irrational to the discussion because they own him or are a fan.

You own him on a team now, now everything you say regardless if you believe it or not will be defending him or pulling for a 0 game suspension.
You missed him in your draft huh?

Man, it would be beautiful if he somehow got 0-4 games. That would be like getting a free 2nd round draft pick added to any team that took him.

This is the problem with this thread and has been. People being irrational to the discussion because they own him or are a fan.

You own him on a team now, now everything you say regardless if you believe it or not will be defending him or pulling for a 0 game suspension.
Why would I care that a grown man gets punished for having THC? It's not like he killed someone and I'm hoping he gets off. I don't really care much about any of these players beyond their fantasy value.

Why would I care that a grown man gets punished for having THC? It's not like he killed someone and I'm hoping he gets off. I don't really care much about any of these players beyond their fantasy value.
Because if he gets off it's going to piss you off when the player from your team gets 16 games for the exact same thing.

Or maybe instead of assuming addiction, we just accept that under-educated young men in their 20's with access to money, women, drugs and fast cars will often find a way to turn that combination into trouble. Even without the added factors of being rich and famous, youth will make you do stupid crap with no regard for the consequences. Lack of perspective isn't necessarily addiction.
Anything that takes $$$$$$Millions$$$$$ away from a young man should be seen as a problem. If this was a relative of mine I'd try my best to break him of this "hobby".

I get what you're saying Henry, but it's a matter of degree.

Long-term marijuana use can lead to addiction; that is, people have difficulty controlling their drug use and cannot stop even though it interferes with many aspects of their lives. It is estimated that 9% of the people who use marijuana will become dependent on it.
People can become dependent on anything -- absolutely. But when 1 out of every 11 users does so it's pretty hard to suggest there might not be something addictive in the thing itself.
I've discussed this some in the Free For All forum, but one of the problems with this study (and that study is the basis for this number) is that they use a diagnostic tool for dependence that is based on fitting 3 out of a potential 7 criteria. Two of those criteria can relate not to the drug itself but to the consequences of it being illegal. Specifically, the criteria of continued use despite harm (including arrest, psychological trauma from something that happened because it's illegal, etc.) and reducing involvement socially as a result of using the drug - basically, hiding the behavior (which is a consequence of the drug being illegal.) That's potentially two of the three necessary "yes" answers to qualify as dependence behavior. There is a reasonable argument that just using the drug should indicate that it has a hold on you, because it's illegal and there's no reason to put yourself in legal trouble for it other than it having some kind of hold over you. But if we reject the simple "it's illegal, so that means it's addictive just because you're doing it" argument, the study becomes flawed.

As far as I'm concerned, comparing a legal and an illegal drug on that basis is off-kilter.

Anything that takes $$$$$$Millions$$$$$ away from a young man should be seen as a problem. If this was a relative of mine I'd try my best to break him of this "hobby".
Tens of millions. And fame. And women. And everything else that comes with being an NFL superstar.

All going down the drain for a little buzz.

Yeah, not addictive at all.

I know none of you care, but I don't want to be accused of pulling a Soulfly. I will be on vacation starting Thursday and wont be back for 10 days (I can actually hear some of you cheering lol). Why does this matter? Because I will be on an Island without any internet/wifi connection.

If this doesn't get announced before Thursday when my flight takes off, I will miss out on all of the fun...no matter if I would be making fun of the Gordon supporters or they would be making fun of me...

COME NFL....MAKE THE ANNOUNCEMENT ALREADY. I want to see this thing explode!!!! :tinfoilhat:
You'll still be able to see the mushroom cloud in the distance.

I know none of you care, but I don't want to be accused of pulling a Soulfly. I will be on vacation starting Thursday and wont be back for 10 days (I can actually hear some of you cheering lol). Why does this matter? Because I will be on an Island without any internet/wifi connection.

If this doesn't get announced before Thursday when my flight takes off, I will miss out on all of the fun...no matter if I would be making fun of the Gordon supporters or they would be making fun of me...

COME NFL....MAKE THE ANNOUNCEMENT ALREADY. I want to see this thing explode!!!! :tinfoilhat:
if you really were dedicated I'm sure you could go to an internet cafe if you wanted to....when I was in Fiji I had to go to a dive hut to get access to internet so it's just a matter of how bad you really want it.....

have fun on vacation.

if you really were dedicated I'm sure you could go to an internet cafe if you wanted to....when I was in Fiji I had to go to a dive hut to get access to internet so it's just a matter of how bad you really want it.....

have fun on vacation.
Ironically I will be in Fiji but on one of the small Islands (Turtle Island).....no internet cafe's there. I would have to take a sea plane (45 minute flight) to the main island to do that.
Buy a sat phone! Gordon is that important!

have fun on vacation.
Ironically I will be in Fiji but on one of the small Islands (Turtle Island).....no internet cafe's there. I would have to take a sea plane (45 minute flight) to the main island to do that.
haha...that's great....we stayed at a coconut plantation on a small island called Taveuni....was an amazing trip....make sure you try the kava.

I'm sure you'll have a blast...

now back to arguing the addictive properties of mary jane....

have fun on vacation.
fyi:

http://www.marijuanatravels.com/countries/fji

Here's my delimma--I draft on 9/2/14 but my keepers (4 keeper PPR) are due on 8/29/14, however, I do pick #1 & 4 overalll but do not have another pick until #51. As it stands today my keepers are Doug Martin, Gio Bernard, AJ Green and Gronk...on my roster is Cordarelle Patterson who I planned to take #1....do you take Gordon #4 overall or hope he makes it to #51?

Attorney: Hearing for Browns WR Josh Gordon's DWI case in North Carolina moved to Nov. 18

Published August 26, 2014Associated Press
Facebook0 Twitter

RALEIGH, N.C. – The attorney for Josh Gordon says the Cleveland Browns receiver's hearing on a drunken-driving charge in North Carolina has been rescheduled for November.

Gordon was due to appear in Wake County court Tuesday on charges of driving while impaired and speeding. Attorney Trey Fitzhugh says Gordon had a waiver to miss the pretrial appearance and the case is continued until Nov. 18.

Gordon was arrested July 5 in Raleigh after being pulled for going 50 mph in a 35 mph zone.

He is still waiting to hear from the NFL on whether he'll be suspended for all or part of the upcoming season for violating the league's substance-abuse program. The Pro Bowler led the NFL with 1,646 yards receiving last year.

Here's my delimma--I draft on 9/2/14 but my keepers (4 keeper PPR) are due on 8/29/14, however, I do pick #1 & 4 overalll but do not have another pick until #51. As it stands today my keepers are Doug Martin, Gio Bernard, AJ Green and Gronk...on my roster is Cordarelle Patterson who I planned to take #1....do you take Gordon #4 overall or hope he makes it to #51?
The fact nobody answered it the first time means that nobody cares about your fantasy team.

I don't think that stems from the marijuana so much as it stems from Gordon. You can get "addicted" in the sense you're describing to just about anything - shopping, weight loss, sex, collecting pets, whatever.
so Gordon can walk away from pot no problem?

except he can't and hasn't, which is like saying Blackmon's problem doesn't stem from alcohol as much as it does from Blackmon.

sure - we all have our predispositioned weaknesses .... Blackmon booze, Gordon dope, Tiger sex addict etc etc ............... but some people can overcome their demons, some cannot

will Gordon? who knows

I don't think that stems from the marijuana so much as it stems from Gordon. You can get "addicted" in the sense you're describing to just about anything - shopping, weight loss, sex, collecting pets, whatever.

except he can't and hasn't, which is like saying Blackmon's problem doesn't stem from alcohol as much as it does from Blackmon.

sure - we all have our predispositioned weaknesses .... Blackmon booze, Gordon dope, Tiger sex addict etc etc ............... but some people can overcome their demons, some cannot

will Gordon? who knows
Didn't Gordon pass like 80 drug tests over the last year or 2? Weren't the traces in the most recent positive test below Olympic standards and wasn't his other sample negative? It seems like you are really exaggerating the extent to which he is using marijuana.

will Gordon? who knows
Can a hoarder walk away from hoarding cats no problem? Does that mean that cats are inherently addictive? I think you've failed to understand my point.

Why are we talking about addiction? Take those topics to ____ Anonymous. Let's get back on track about how those of us that drafted him will be celebrating when he gets 4-8 games! Oh yeah!

Can a hoarder walk away from hoarding cats no problem? Does that mean that cats are inherently addictive? I think you've failed to understand my point.
is the hoarding of cats illegal? are cats illegal? does the hoarder have an employer that has a policy against cats ?

I think you are missing my point

I am in a pretty competitive 14-man PPR league that just drafted this weekend. He lasted until the 11th round. You don't draft for another week or so, so if news comes out in the meantime that will affect the swing completely one way or the other.

is the hoarding of cats illegal? are cats illegal? does the hoarder have an employer that has a policy against cats ?

as an impartial third party arbiter, i can pretty much assure you that's not what's going on here.

edit: also, your point is pretty bad.

In many, if not most areas, yes.

And no, I'm not missing your point. I disagree with it. The fact that someone is addicted to something doesn't necessarily make that thing addictive.

Sorry if this is a Honda.

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2014/08/josh-gordon-decision-has-been-made-according-to-adam-schefter/

Josh Gordon decision has been made according to Adam Schefter

Adam Schefter is reporting that the Josh Gordon appeal decision has been made. Apparently the only thing left to decide is when to issue that judgement.

Chris Fillar@ItsFillarFollow

Schefter just said on SC that he's heard Gordon decision has been made and Henderson just needs to decide when to issue it. #takeyourtime

1:34 PM - 26 Aug 2014

It’s all so confusing at this point. There’s nothing regarding the appeal that can change at this point, I don’t think. It all just makes me wonder what, exactly, the NFL is really waiting for. If they were waiting for the DWI case to occur, they’ll have to keep waiting as that was pushed back to November.

Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk does have an interesting legal opinion on the matter of the NFL’s timing. He points out that if Josh Gordon takes the legal route and sues, that a judge might view the NFL’s feet-dragging ways in a way that would allow for Gordon to get an injunction and continue playing.

The delayed issuance of the decision by hearing officer Harold Henderson will put more pressure the judge to whom the case would be assigned to process the facts, to research the law, and to make a fair and proper decision as to whether Gordon should be allowed to play pending a final ruling in the case. And the judge to whom the case is assigned could blame the NFL for dragging its feet, which could make the judge more favorable to Gordon’s cause. Which eventually could make Gordon available to play for most or all of the 2014 season.

It’s unclear who that would benefit more in the case of the Cleveland Browns, although it’s stiff competition in the top three between Brian Hoyer, Mike Pettine and Cleveland Browns fans. Even if Gordon eventually gets the hammer dropped on him, if he could play the entirety of 2014 while the case is making its way through the court, that would be amazingly fortunate for the team as it buys them a year to address the deficiencies at wide receiver.
Florio's take:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/26/gordon-delay-could-make-it-easier-to-get-an-injunction/

Gordon delay could make it easier to get an injunctionPosted by Mike Florio on August 26, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT

It’s not known whether Browns receiver Josh Gordon will go the StarCaps route if/when he’s officially suspended for a year, filing a lawsuit attacking the arbitration decision and seeking a preliminary injunction that would allow him to play until the litigation ends.

If Gordon chooses to go that route, the 22-days-and-counting lag since the completion of his appeal hearing could actually help his cause.

Gordon may have a hard time conjuring an argument or two that would prompt a court to take the fairly extraordinary step of eventually overturning the outcome of a private arbitration proceeding, since private arbitration proceedings tend to keep plenty of cases out of the court system. But the NFL’s inexplicable failure to reach on a more timely basis what should be a very straightforward decision could make the judge who is asked to prevent the suspension from being implemented a bit more sympathetic to Gordon’s plight.

The delayed issuance of the decision by hearing officer Harold Henderson will put more pressure the judge to whom the case would be assigned to process the facts, to research the law, and to make a fair and proper decision as to whether Gordon should be allowed to play pending a final ruling in the case. And the judge to whom the case is assigned could blame the NFL for dragging its feet, which could make the judge more favorable to Gordon’s cause. Which eventually could make Gordon available to play for most or all of the 2014 season.

Again, it’s not known whether Gordon will choose to take the NFL to court. With each passing day, his case for an order allowing him to play until the case ends could be getting stronger. It’s definitely not getting any weaker.

In the end, Gordon may still be suspended for a full year. However, like the StarCaps plaintiffs several years ago, Gordon may be able to delay indefinitely the start of the banishment.

will Gordon? who knows
Do ~9% of cat owners turn into cat hoarders?

will Gordon? who knows
Feel free to reread my previous post regarding that study.

will Gordon? who knows
There was a study on cat-hoarding?

will Gordon? who knows
There was a study on cat-hoarding?
Yes, approximately all people who engaged in cat hoarding were addicted to cat hoarding.

So do we get to wait another few weeks for the actual announcement as the NFL offices conduct meetings on the actual decision? Pie charts and graphs I'm sure will be on display.

I really don't care whether Gordon's use of marijuana fits this definition of addiction or that one.

Gordon gets measured by the cutoffs in the NFL's policy. After Gordon's repeated violations, his occupational livelihood now depends on passing every test, not just the first 70. It depends on passing them at the NFL's cutoff which is the one used, not the Olympic cut off or the air traffic controller cut off or any other cut off.

If his priority is playing in the NFL, but he continually lapses like this now as he did in college as well, he has a problem regardless of what clinical term is or is not appropriate for it. I hope he deals with it, whatever the issue is.

Blocked from my office. Anything interesting or just more rehashing?
According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, a decision has been made by the league arbitrator. Schefter made the comments on SportCenter this afternoon. The ruling has not been announced just yet, obviously. If the NFL stays true to pattern, it’s likely that a decision will not come until Friday afternoon, though obviously it could happen sooner.

Obviously, we’ve been waiting an obscene amount of time to get here. Thanks a lot NFL.

THIS NEXT BIT IS COMPLETE SPECULATION: My guess is that the NFL’s initial decision is a full season ban. Now, coupled with the report that we had earlier this week on Gordon’s camp being unwilling to negotiated on a lesser suspension, that leads us to what I’ve kind of assumed would happen for a while now. Faced with an inevitable full year ban, Gordon’s team will now be more likely to work on a deal. I’ve had a feeling for a while that the final suspension would be in the 6-8 game range, and if a full season ban is what’s in the cards, Gordon and company are more likely to deal.

Strap in, Browns fans, we’re finally going to get a decision.

Users who are viewing this thread