What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (15 Viewers)

Mike Cairns ‏@MikeCairns5 2m

Ed Werder reporting on ESPN that NFL players have agreed on raising testing threshold for pot which would immediately bring 20players back
20 players? Are there even 20 players currently suspended for marijuana that would fallen under the new threshold?
My thought is, why would the NFL players NOT agree on raising testing threshold?? Of course they agree on that part....not really a step forward in any direction, more of a given IMO.
You're right, but hopefully this at least shuts up all the people claiming that a new agreement wouldn't #FreeJoshGordon.

The key now is actually getting an agreement in place, with sticking points left to hash on:

1. Certain HGH appeals processes;

2. Immediate DUI suspensions.

Both of these seem like major hurdles to me, so this could take weeks, if not all season. But I'll hold on to Josh for as long as I can or until more clarity emerges. So close, and yet so far.

Last thing I'll say is... If you don't own Josh Gordon and are checking this thread repeatedly, or especially if you are posting repeatedly, I feel sorry for you.
I don't think it answers the question of Josh Gordon specifically, because his positive test (his violation) would be from before this NFL year. Welker will be in decent shape if this goes through, but Gordon is going to be dependent on the language of the agreement.
I'm not buying the analysis from Rosenthal or Breer. If the NFLPA believes that the marijuana policy is unjust, they will be advocating for reinstatement of all players currently suspended who wouldn't have otherwise been. Really, that's the only just outcome if the new drug policy is to be applied retroactively, as time of positive test (e.g. 2/2014 vs. 3/2014) is a morally arbitrary factor.

While we all wait on the outcome of this process I figure I will throw this out there for thought.

The NFL's policy on marijuana, coupled with it's fostering of prescription drug abuse and financial partnerships with prescription drug companies, is medically indefensible and morally reprehensible. The NFLPA was/is complicit in this and sold out for money over 30 years ago. And now it's a huge bargaining chip that has drastically swayed leverage on the issue in the owners favor.

But to be clear, the policy is medically indefensible and morally reprehensible.
:coffee: Go on, I'm listening. Reprehensible is a strong word.
It is a strong word, which is why I chose to use it.

Here's a start:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/09/opinion/the-nfls-absurd-marijuana-policy.html?_r=0
Summary?

I am all for players smoking pot. I don't have any issue with it at all. Not sure I would call it medically indefensible or morally reprehensible to ban it though. I think the NFL is trying to stay in step with societal standards, and despite what I amy want, its still frowned up on most of the red states. As laws are changed, so too will the NFL's stance - but if you don't have anything better - its not morally reprehensible nor is it medically indefensible - there are lots of treatments that do not require marijuana.

Just an opinion from Salfino:

Michael Salfino @MichaelSalfinohttps://twitter.com/MichaelSalfino · 6m

New agreement also is math. Can't remember public negotiations in sports falling apart so close to finish line. But say 1 in 5 do. So, 80%.

Michael Salfino @MichaelSalfinohttps://twitter.com/MichaelSalfino · 5m

Meaning there's a 4 in 5 chance, conservatively, that new policy is quickly agreed to. Gordon reinstatement locked. So you own 80% of Gordon
This guy also said

Michael Salfino ‏@MichaelSalfino

You guys can web search where the drug policy talks are as well as me. I'm not reporting anything. This is outsourced.
He's just looking at the reports that are out there and giving his take on them. His take is inaccurate, in many of his tweets.

@TomPelissero: In Kansas City, where we're told #Chiefs players are voting on drug policy.
Two minutes later, he said:

Tom PelisseroVerified account ‏@TomPelissero If #Chiefs indeed are doing anything drug policy-related, it's not on NFLPA orders. Lawyers continuing to go through proposal language today
So, he tweets one thing, then contradicts himself immediately? That's weird.
It sounds like the rep is doing a poll to get a check on how the team will vote when asked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know how to embed tweet but Zac Jackson says deal is done. Welcome back Gordon.

https://twitter.com/ZacJacksonFSO/status/509755504756015104
Why does your link go to this thread?

@TomPelissero: In Kansas City, where we're told #Chiefs players are voting on drug policy.

Tom PelisseroVerified account ‏@TomPelissero If #Chiefs indeed are doing anything drug policy-related, it's not on NFLPA orders. Lawyers continuing to go through proposal language today
It sounds like the rep is doing a poll to get a check on how the team will vote when asked.
How can he do this if they are still working on the proposal?

"How will you vote?"

"on what-what is the proposal?"

"can't tell you that, how will you vote?"

Don't know how to embed tweet but Zac Jackson says deal is done. Welcome back Gordon.

"How will you vote?"

Studpidity. I changed link. Try it now, should go to Zac's tweet.

Why does the NFL care about HGH testing? HGH makes their league more attractive. Bigger,stronger,faster = better
Because when they are sued in the future by players that have brain tumors that claimed they took HGH in order to maintain their jobs in the NFL, the league can show the courts they had a testing program in place.
Questions:

1. Is HGH identical to steroids regarding their harmful side effects?

2. Have steroids been proven to have these harmful side effects (brain tumors) or has it been vilified unjustly due to anecdotal rumors or perhaps even because of users that didn't take the drugs under medical supervision?

3. Aren't steroids and HGH legal drugs when prescribed by a physician and aren't they used everyday for various medical ailments?

4. Is the HGH and steroid crusade a politically driven agenda without scientific merit?

"How will you vote?"

fake Twitter account, according to the tweets below it

"How will you vote?"

fake Twitter account, according to the tweets below it
Correct. Real Zac is FSOhioZJackson

While we all wait on the outcome of this process I figure I will throw this out there for thought.

The NFL's policy on marijuana, coupled with it's fostering of prescription drug abuse and financial partnerships with prescription drug companies, is medically indefensible and morally reprehensible. The NFLPA was/is complicit in this and sold out for money over 30 years ago. And now it's a huge bargaining chip that has drastically swayed leverage on the issue in the owners favor.

But to be clear, the policy is medically indefensible and morally reprehensible.

Here's a start:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/09/opinion/the-nfls-absurd-marijuana-policy.html?_r=0
Summary?

I am all for players smoking pot. I don't have any issue with it at all. Not sure I would call it medically indefensible or morally reprehensible to ban it though. I think the NFL is trying to stay in step with societal standards, and despite what I amy want, its still frowned up on most of the red states. As laws are changed, so too will the NFL's stance - but if you don't have anything better - its not morally reprehensible nor is it medically indefensible - there are lots of treatments that do not require marijuana.
Well, laws ARE changing now. 35 states and the District now allow some form of medical marijuana. And speaking of laws the DEA has been quietly investigating the NFL's role in prescription drug abuse. It's pretty evident that the NFL fosters an environment in which team doctors push prescription drugs on players as a form of pain management to get them back on the field as quickly as possible. Players can obtain prescription drugs in high dosages and on pretty much on the spot, which in another context would be illegal. Plus the legal argument has always been a poor one IMO anyway. This country's marijuana laws are also indefensible and morally reprehensible for other reasons. And when did the NFL become a law enforcement agency? In the commonwealth of Virginia it's technically illegal for two adults, including married couples, to perform oral sex on each other. Is the NFL doing it's due diligence on all Redskins players to see if they are breaking this law?

Back to the topic. Medical marijuana has been proven as a treatment OPTION for many patients who suffer from the sort of ailments that NFL players, by the very nature of their job, suffer from on a daily basis.

So the summary is this. The NFL pushes, and enters into financially beneficial agreements with companies that promote, prescription drug use and what many would consider abuse. Most of these prescription drugs have acknowledged very serious negative side effects in both the short and long term. At the same time the NFL prohibits the use of marijuana which again has been medically proven to offer many of the pain management benefits of the prescription drugs with little to none of the known negative side effects. To the point that a player can be banned from the league for multiple failed testing at a threshold that is 4 times less than air traffic controllers whose jobs are a matter of public safety.

In my view, this is medically indefensible and morally reprehensible. You don't have to agree but that's my view and one that I will defend strongly.

Here's a start:

Summary?

Well, laws ARE changing now. 35 states and the District now allow some form of medical marijuana. And speaking of laws the DEA has been quietly investigating the NFL's role in prescription drug abuse. It's pretty evident that the NFL fosters an environment in which team doctors push prescription drugs on players as a form of pain management to get them back on the field as quickly as possible. Players can obtain prescription drugs in high dosages and on pretty much on the spot, which in another context would be illegal. Plus the legal argument has always been a poor one IMO anyway. This country's marijuana laws are also indefensible and morally reprehensible for other reasons. And when did the NFL become a law enforcement agency? In the commonwealth of Virginia it's technically illegal for two adults, including married couples, to perform oral sex on each other. Is the NFL doing it's due diligence on all Redskins players to see if they are breaking this law?

Back to the topic. Medical marijuana has been proven as a treatment OPTION for many patients who suffer from the sort of ailments that NFL players, by the very nature of their job, suffer from on a daily basis.

So the summary is this. The NFL pushes, and enters into financially beneficial agreements with companies that promote, prescription drug use and what many would consider abuse. Most of these prescription drugs have acknowledged very serious negative side effects in both the short and long term. At the same time the NFL prohibits the use of marijuana which again has been medically proven to offer many of the pain management benefits of the prescription drugs with little to none of the known negative side effects. To the point that a player can be banned from the league for multiple failed testing at a threshold that is 4 times less than air traffic controllers whose jobs are a matter of public safety.

In my view, this is medically indefensible and morally reprehensible. You don't have to agree but that's my view and one that I will defend strongly.
All valid thoughts. Worthy of a separate thread.

"How will you vote?"

It's done sometimes. An up or down on same basic but key issue like HGH testing.

Here's a start:

Summary?

All valid thoughts. Worthy of a separate thread.
True. Sorry for the hijack.

Constructive response and about what I expected. Some say ignorance is bliss..... so carry on.

Once again I'll claim stupidity. My bad. Carry on.
Your avatar is one of the best on these boards. Martin Starr in that awkward-### fake smile is awesome. He was probably the best actor on that show, as far as his character went.

Why would the representatives that are in the AFC North agree to reinstatement. Why would the representatives of the AFC west agree to reinstatement. Why would any team that would not have a player reinstated agree to reinstatement as part of the deal?
Because it means one of their brothers will get paid.
It also means Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Cincy will have to face Gordon twice this year same thing for K.C, Oakland, San Diego with Welker. I'm not sure that is in their best interest...Competitive edge and all...They can still get what they want without the reinstatement agreement...My understanding is it takes 17 teams to pass,,,I wonder how many teams would actually get a valued player back if reinstatement is part of the deal.
You really don't understand what a player rep does, do you?
Yeah he looks out for the best interest of his players. It is not the best interest of his players to reinstate retro if he has no players that are suspended. Again he can achieve the same thing drug policy wise without retro reinstatement.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m

From @AlbertBreer & me: Retroactive suspensions has not been divisive for potential new policy. If deal approved, new standards would apply

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m

What’s it mean? Players suspended in 2014 league year get new standards. If approved, Welker & Scandrick play Sun. Gordon more complicated

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 36s

Every 2014 league year suspension will be reviewed, if deal is approved. Josh Gordan failed his drug test in 2013, so wait and see on him.

Will more players be suspended in the future for HGH than are currently being suspended for marijuana? If so then I don't think the union will go for anything new. If fewer future suspensions then the players/agents would be motivated to do the deal.

Why would the representatives that are in the AFC North agree to reinstatement. Why would the representatives of the AFC west agree to reinstatement. Why would any team that would not have a player reinstated agree to reinstatement as part of the deal?
It also means Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Cincy will have to face Gordon twice this year same thing for K.C, Oakland, San Diego with Welker. I'm not sure that is in their best interest...Competitive edge and all...They can still get what they want without the reinstatement agreement...My understanding is it takes 17 teams to pass,,,I wonder how many teams would actually get a valued player back if reinstatement is part of the deal.
They aren't going to vote down a new drug agreement simply based on the fact that it might help a couple of teams in a couple of games this season. I think you are misjudging the priorities of NFL players.
You do understand they can pass the same proposed drug agreement without retro reinstatement ..correct.
Who is "they". Its the players union that is pushing for the reinstatement, not the NFL.
There are representatives from all 32 teams......If they can achieve the same thing without retro reinstatement why would all teams vote for reinstatement, if only a few would benefit...If I'm trying to win a championship why would I vote for something that doesn't benefit me but benefits my competitor?

They aren't going to vote down a new drug agreement simply based on the fact that it might help a couple of teams in a couple of games this season. I think you are misjudging the priorities of NFL players.
You do understand they can pass the same proposed drug agreement without retro reinstatement ..correct.
Who is "they". Its the players union that is pushing for the reinstatement, not the NFL.
There are representatives from all 32 teams......If they can achieve the same thing without retro reinstatement why would all teams vote for reinstatement, if only a few would benefit...If I'm trying to win a championship why would I vote for something that doesn't benefit me but benefits my competitor?
BECAUSE in the end most of these guys are friends. The NFLPA looks out for the players as individuals. Its the teams owner to look out for best interest of winning.

These guys are all in it together. Friends, brothers, competitors... and I dont know what level you played any sports but as a competitor I've always wanted to play, and beat, the best. Never wanted a football team to come to my field hoping their star player got hurt before the game. I wanted to stop him, for my team to shut them down. These guys are the same way but on a much larger scale... they want to beat the best.

If they let Gordon back, then they are opening up the floodgates of everybody suspended since 2011 wanting back in. I don't see it happening with Gordon.

We are getting set up for another disappointment folks.

My high school had a policy that if any senior student was caught ditching during the last six weeks of school, he would be barred from walking at the year-end graduation ceremony. Every year, several seniors were banned by this rule, as it wasn't much of a deterrent for a lot of them from skipping senioritis laden year-end classes.

My senior year our class valedictorian, a known partier, was caught at the local McD's about 15 minutes before the start of the school's lunch hour by a school administrator. Word got out that he'd been caught and everyone wondered how the school would handle not having the valedictorian at the ceremony and cutting out his speech. Neither happened. He got to walk and gave his speech, because the school decided to change it's policy and set the valedictorian and all other ditchers from that year free, allowing them to attend their graduation. True story.

Rules are often bent and/or broken for valedictorians.

#FreeJoshGordon

Hard as it obviously is for you to believe, there are probably many who view the NFLPA as the "team" in this context and would find it in bad taste to put their own short-term interests ahead of somebody else's employment status.

If they let Gordon back, then they are opening up the floodgates of everybody suspended since 2011 wanting back in. I don't see it happening with Gordon.

Your logic is flawed. If they let anyone back in they open the flood gates. Them simply saying 2014 season vs 2014 calander year doesnt change much.

If they let Gordon back, then they are opening up the floodgates of everybody suspended since 2011 wanting back in.
I don't agree. I think the possible new rule should apply to all suspended in 2014. Gordon was suspended in 2014. I don't have him on any of my teams, but I think that is how they should implement it if something passes making suspended players in 2014 eligible to be reinstated.

Your logic is flawed. If they let anyone back in they open the flood gates. Them simply saying 2014 season vs 2014 calander year doesnt change much.
From the Plain Dealer:

Another source said that if the NFL and NFLPA allow Gordon, Welker and others who were suspended in 2014 to have their suspensions altered, others who have been banned since the new collective bargaining agreement went into effect in 2011 will be banging on the NFL's door.

"It opens up a whole can of worms for players who have been impacted by the policy,'' said one source. "They would be better off not letting anyone back in.''

given rapsheets understanding of the league year cut off... wouldnt letting gordon off the hook open a huge can of worms... if i was suspended in league year 2013 i'd want my gamechecks back if gordon gets out of his suspension?

The difference is, other players from 2013 would have already served their suspensions while clearly Gordon has only missed one game. You can't undo the games missed from people that have already served suspensions. I think no matter what they do, players that would have passed drug tests at any point in the current CBA will have a legit gripe to get paid for the games they were suspended. As others have already said, no matter where the line in the sand is drawn in the past, someone will always be on the other side of the line.

Users who are viewing this thread