What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which RB would you take? (1 Viewer)

Most talented RB All-time

• Jim Brown

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • Walter Payton

Votes: 20 10.8%
  • Eric Dickerson

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Barry Sanders

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • Adrian Peterson

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • Bo Jackson

Votes: 35 18.9%
  • Earl Campbell

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Gale Sayers

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • Ladainian Tomlinson

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • O.J. Simpson

• Marshall Faulk

• Total voters
Bigger backs get shorted in these discussions because people generally rank in terms of yards, and, imo, that is a mistake. I think the value in running the ball is much more in moving the chains vs big plays. Guys like Chris Johnson, even in his CJ2K, probably don't add much to an offense because they are so poor at the skill that makes running backs actually valuable.
I think you need both types of guys. There aren't many backs that can do everything, but you can combine a fast guy and a 'chains mover' to have a very effective running game. Bettis and Willie Parker, Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones, etc.Something that's really overlooked is pass protection. As great as Brian Westbrook was with the ball in his hands, he was so much more valuable than casual fans thought because he was great in pass protection. I believe Portis also had a reputation as a great pass protector, but I never watched a lot of Redskins games. PFF has Ahmad Bradshaw, MJD, Michael Turner and Marshawn Lynch as the best top end RBs in pass pro.

Payton..Brown...Barry.........everyone else
In terms of pure talent, I don't think Payton was even close to the best - he was 5-10, 200 and ran a 4.4. That's basically Ronnie Hillma today. Not trying to knock him but that was a different era.

I'm proud to say that my very first pick in fantasy football was Barry Sanders. And I picked him in this poll too.

'DoubleG said:
'hotboyz said:
You are crazy if you don't think emmitt could be included he gets so much disrespect because he has a dominant online! But no one ever mentions that Eric Dicjerson played behind one of the best Olines ever!!
There's a reason Dickerson only has 1 vote out of 100+. He, like Emmitt, is simply not in the same "tier" as the rest of the guys being discussed.
It's an embarrassment to compare Dickerson to E Smith. Dickerson was phenomenal, the best compare IMO to AP of the last 30 years. He was so fun to watch in the early days....if you haven't seen him, check out ESPN 30 for 30 "Pony Excess."

I dont know about measurables and he didn't realy fit the mold of a prototipical RB but Barry was the most exciting/elusive/incredible runner the league has ever seen in my 30 some years of watching the sport.

He could stop on a dime then acclerate to full speed faster than anyone. He ran so low to the ground that he was icredibly hard to bring down and his lateraly agility is still unmatched. EVERY time he touched the football you were on the edge of you seat. This was a guy that would break 3 tackles and fake four defenders out of their cleats in a 15 second run for -3 yards.

If you define talent by who was the best at runnung with the football and not getting tackled then it has to be Barry IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
On talent it has to be Bo Jackson - 6-1, 227 and ran a 4.12 40.
If this was simply a discussion of measurables, it wouldn't be a discussion or a poll. We'd just post the numbers and rank them based on who has the best. But there's more to be a great RB (and defining talent for RBs) than just looking at 40 times or height/weight. Jackson belongs in the conversation to be sure - but to dismiis Payton becuase of his size or 40 time is just silly.

Marion Motley and Lenny Moore are two names worth mentioning. Talent is a very difficult thing to define, though.
:goodposting: While my Mercury Morris post was half tongue-in-cheek, the guy does still holds the best career YPC of any halfback (Bo Jackson was a FB as was Jim Brown).

Gimme Emmitt gutting it out with a separated shoulder, and WILLING the 'boys to victory in a hostile/frigid Giants Stadium back in Jan. '04 over any of the "highlight reel" guys any day of the week, and a million times on playoff Sundays. Thanks. :banned:

Out of those the OP listed, I would take Sweetness in a heartbeat; no hesitation. :boxing:

'wiscstlatlmia said:
Marshall Faulk and O.J. Simpson added after 128 votes cast...Better late than never? :shrug:
OJ seems to get missed in a lot of these type threads and it's really a horrible oversight IMO. He will never win or even be one of the top guys in any of them due to his criminal past. He should be though. He's extremely underrated.My vote goes to Barry. He's the best I've ever seen.

Gotta go with Walter here. He could do it all. Brought back the stiff-arm, would just jump over the pile. Catching, running, throwing, punting, whatever the team needed. As far as the talent required to do the most an NFL RB can be expected to do, walter had the most of it. Plus I'd put health as a talent as well and Payton didn't miss a single game in his career, other than one his rookie year as a coaches decision non-injury related. 170 straight starts.

Marion Motley and Lenny Moore are two names worth mentioning. Talent is a very difficult thing to define, though.
:goodposting: While my Mercury Morris post was half tongue-in-cheek, the guy does still holds the best career YPC of any halfback (Bo Jackson was a FB as was Jim Brown).
Gale Sayers owned the YPC record until blowing out his knee. It's too bad Sayers was playing at a time when they simply weren't able to repair torn knee ligaments well...#22 on the NFL top 100:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKn90bWQWawIf you needed a "complete player" that didn't get hurt and could punish and drive through piles, you'd take Jim Brown or Peyton or someone. However, if you needed a touchdown on THIS play. Or if you needed a guy that could give you a victory against the odds, I'd take Sayers. The vision and speed combination with enough power to still break tackles puts him at the top for me, although I'm biased as a Bears fan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread