What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** TJ Yeldon (2015 Draft Eligible) Bandwagon *** (3 Viewers)

Love Amir Abdullah who may or may not be in 2013 or 2014 class...depending if he leaves early

Still has some bulk to put on but if he improves as much as he did from last year, hes gonna surprise

Watching Yeldon closely tonight; we'll see what hes got

Last edited by a moderator:
I only watched the first quarter, so can't comment on Yeldon, but I was surprised by how mediocre Hill looked in this game.

Lacy was the one who caught my eye. Looks like Yeldon had a good game though.

I only watched the first quarter, so can't comment on Yeldon, but I was surprised by how mediocre Hill looked in this game.Lacy was the one who caught my eye. Looks like Yeldon had a good game though.
You only watched the 1st quarter and thought Hill looked mediocre? :rolleyes: Hill looked very good. He put up 107 yds vs. Bama's D. Not only that but he was tough to bring down, quick in the hole and even beat Bama to the edge a couple of times. He was anything but mediocre. Yeldon didn't even touch the ball in the 1st quarter.Perhaps you should have kept watching....

I only watched the first quarter, so can't comment on Yeldon, but I was surprised by how mediocre Hill looked in this game.Lacy was the one who caught my eye. Looks like Yeldon had a good game though.
You only watched the 1st quarter and thought Hill looked mediocre? :rolleyes: Hill looked very good. He put up 107 yds vs. Bama's D.
Yea, on about a million carries.Ware and Lacy both looked better. I didn't see Yeldon much because I don't think he got any touches while I was watching.

'EBF said:
I haven't really seen a can't-miss RB prospect in the 2015 class yet, but I would probably rate Jeremy Hill (LSU) or Johnathan Gray (Texas) highest so far.
Forgot about Todd Gurley from Georgia. He might be the best of the bunch. 2015 RB class is shaping up pretty nicely so far. Yeldon vs. Hill tonight should be interesting.
Saw Gurley live last weekend. The guy is huge. And I won't be surprised if he ends up being the top back of the class. Still love Yeldon, though.

You only watched the 1st quarter and thought Hill looked mediocre? :rolleyes: Hill looked very good. He put up 107 yds vs. Bama's D.
Yea, on about a million carries.Ware and Lacy both looked better. I didn't see Yeldon much because I don't think he got any touches while I was watching.
:lmao: Ware looked better. :lmao: I suppose you gathered that watching his 2 touches in the 1st quarter. It helps when you actually watch the games....

Yeldon looks like he will be part of an amazing 2015 draft class for RBs. All these guys look good right now; Yeldon, Gray, D. Johnson, Gurley, Hill and Marshall.

Ware is a really good back. He is a better pro prospect than Ford. I'm not sure if he is better than Hill, but he seems to have better footwork and cutting ability. I think he will be a better NFL player than college player like Stevan Ridley and Joseph Addai before him. LSU doesn't have the best history of getting the most out of its top talents, as a lot of their best players were underused while they were in Baton Rouge. History repeating itself with Ware. His footwork, loose hips, and leg drive are a perfect fit for the pro game though.

Ware is a really good back. He is a better pro prospect than Ford. I'm not sure if he is better than Hill, but he seems to have better footwork and cutting ability. I think he will be a better NFL player than college player like Stevan Ridley and Joseph Addai before him. LSU doesn't have the best history of getting the most out of its top talents, as a lot of their best players were underused while they were in Baton Rouge. History repeating itself with Ware. His footwork, loose hips, and leg drive are a perfect fit for the pro game though.
I like Ware a good deal. He simply isn't better than Hill though. Hill is taking over the lead role at RB for LSU for good reason.

Over 10 replies since Yeldons game winning TD on national television vs an elite defense....and two of those were about Yeldon. Good work guys.

For those interested, here is the TD.

My link

Over 10 replies since Yeldons game winning TD on national television vs an elite defense....and two of those were about Yeldon. Good work guys.

My link
I love Yeldon, but not a lot to talk about there. It was the perfect play call against a sell out blitz and blocked perfectly. He made one guy that had a bad angle miss in the open field. The only story would have been if he hadn't scored on that play, it was a gimme.

My link
I love Yeldon, but not a lot to talk about there. It was the perfect play call against a sell out blitz and blocked perfectly. He made one guy that had a bad angle miss in the open field. The only story would have been if he hadn't scored on that play, it was a gimme.
Far from a gimme. Nothing is a gimme vs LSU's defense. But I'll play along. My comment was more about sidetracking threads (which is a common occurrence anymore in the SP) than a wanted/needed breakdown of the play.

I like Ware a good deal. He simply isn't better than Hill though. Hill is taking over the lead role at RB for LSU for good reason.
I don't think either of them are that special :shrug:

I think this kid has a bright future for sure. Was really impressed with his debut game. But to compare him to somebody who I believe is a first ballot HoF'er is really a stretch at this point. Lets see him after a few seasons in the NFL...right now I see somebody who can't even beat out Lacy for the starting RB position behind the best Oline in college FB.

I think this kid has a bright future for sure. Was really impressed with his debut game. But to compare him to somebody who I believe is a first ballot HoF'er is really a stretch at this point. Lets see him after a few seasons in the NFL...right now I see somebody who can't even beat out Lacy for the starting RB position behind the best Oline in college FB.
Lets not forget he's a freshman. And he's a freshman getting considerable playing time and touches on an elite team against elite competition....competing with the deepest and talented backfield in the country. And the comparison to Peterson is in regards to both as college players/prospects. It's clearly not fair to compare them as they are today. I thought that went without saying. He clearly has some work to do but the ability and measurables are there. And if any coach in the country can coach his players up and maximize their abilities in preparation to hit the ground running in the NFL, it's Saban.

The 2015 RB class could be nasty...TJ Yeldon, Todd Gurley, Duke Johnson, Johnathan Gray....4 potential RB1 talents IMO.

The 2015 RB class could be nasty...TJ Yeldon, Todd Gurley, Duke Johnson, Johnathan Gray....4 potential RB1 talents IMO.
I'm a little less bullish right now. Just because you can get on the field and play well as a freshman at a big program doesn't mean you're going to be an elite pro prospect. The gap between BCS college football and the NFL is massive. I have watched all four of those guys you mentioned and while I'd bet on one or two of them becoming top 50 picks, there's a long way to go before they deserve that kind of hype. I don't think any of them are Richardson/Peterson/Bush just yet.

Lets not forget he's a freshman. And he's a freshman getting considerable playing time and touches on an elite team against elite competition....competing with the deepest and talented backfield in the country. And the comparison to Peterson is in regards to both as college players/prospects. It's clearly not fair to compare them as they are today. I thought that went without saying. He clearly has some work to do but the ability and measurables are there. And if any coach in the country can coach his players up and maximize their abilities in preparation to hit the ground running in the NFL, it's Saban.
What do you think Adrian Peterson would be doing behind that AL O-line if he was a freshman today? Don't get me wrong I think Saban is a great coach and AL is a great team, but this kid has yet to show he's the next Adrian Peterson. Also I'm not comparing his NFL stats; let's just compare Apples to Apples:Adrian Peterson had 1925 Rushing Yards and 15 TDs his Freshman year. He was so raw the coaches didn't know what to do with him. He didn't even start his first few games despite the insane amount of cries from the fans. In fact, coming off the bench he ran for 225 yards against Texas who was then ranked #5 and also finished #5 for the year at 11-1. He was in a similiar situation as TJ, having to beat out a "veteran" RB in Kejuan Jones who had averaged 4.1YPC with 13 TDs the season before on a pass happy offense. He also sent a pretty good freshman college RB in Tashard Choice packing to Ga Tech who was buried on the OU depth chart (Choice had ~1500 yards per season his last two seasons at GA Tech). Adrian finished #2 in Heisman voting that season and arguably should have been the first freshman ever to win the award.I'm just saying if this Yeldon kid is so good enough to warrant comparisons to ADP then he would be lighting it up right now and be the clear cut starter on his team. He's not. I have no doubt TJ has a bright future ahead, but can we please stop with the comparisons to one of the best RBs to ever play the college game (at least until this kid shows more).Lastly, the only reason I bring up the NFL is because this is a FF site for the pro game, and how many of these college RBs never pan out in the NFL?

What do you think Adrian Peterson would be doing behind that AL O-line if he was a freshman today? Don't get me wrong I think Saban is a great coach and AL is a great team, but this kid has yet to show he's the next Adrian Peterson. Also I'm not comparing his NFL stats; let's just compare Apples to Apples:Adrian Peterson had 1925 Rushing Yards and 15 TDs his Freshman year. He was so raw the coaches didn't know what to do with him. He didn't even start his first few games despite the insane amount of cries from the fans. In fact, coming off the bench he ran for 225 yards against Texas who was then ranked #5 and also finished #5 for the year at 11-1. He was in a similiar situation as TJ, having to beat out a "veteran" RB in Kejuan Jones who had averaged 4.1YPC with 13 TDs the season before on a pass happy offense. He also sent a pretty good freshman college RB in Tashard Choice packing to Ga Tech who was buried on the OU depth chart (Choice had ~1500 yards per season his last two seasons at GA Tech). Adrian finished #2 in Heisman voting that season and arguably should have been the first freshman ever to win the award.I'm just saying if this Yeldon kid is so good enough to warrant comparisons to ADP then he would be lighting it up right now and be the clear cut starter on his team. He's not. I have no doubt TJ has a bright future ahead, but can we please stop with the comparisons to one of the best RBs to ever play the college game (at least until this kid shows more).Lastly, the only reason I bring up the NFL is because this is a FF site for the pro game, and how many of these college RBs never pan out in the NFL?
I get it. You love OU and I clearly offended you with the comparison. If you actually read my OP you'd have seen where I deem comparing him to Peterson as blasphemy. I also only compare their size and running style. Not once did I say anything about Yeldon going for 1900+ yards this year. There was no chance of that. So your apples to apples analysis doesn't really further the discussion here. If you want to debate my comparison of the two players based on what we CAN compare, then please do so.

Finished the regular season with 154 carries for 1000 yards (6.5 ypc) and 11 TDs. Chipped in another 131 yards on 10 catches and a TD. Maybe more telling was how he did against top competition. Versus AP ranked teams he had 67 carries for 453 (6.8 ypc) and 4 TDs. Versus the SEC he had 120 for 746 and 9 TDs.

Big bump for tonight's game. He'll get to showcase what he's learned all year in the biggest game of the season.

Less interested in him tonight as I am next year if Warmack, Jones, and Fluker all declare as they're expected to. Jones is gone, Warmack has to be about 99%, Fluker's more of a wildcard but I think he jumps ship.

Very intrigued by the talent, but I want to see him behind a less established o line. A feature load too. I think he benefited from sharing with Lacy, who many think are the best back in this class...he might be, but that's just because the class isn't top heavy. Lacy looks like a good but not difference making NFL player, would work well in a committee but as the lead guy I think he would have to be on a team loaded at o line, passing game, or preferably both.

Yeldon makes Te'o look silly on that 3rd down conversion where he met him the backfield for a sure loss.

Here's the scary part for anyone who doesn't wear crimson. The YPC rates as backups almost all improved when the players moved to the primary back role. Lacy was never going to sustain that 7.09 YPC rate as the starter, particularly because a line of nine carries for 161 yards against North Texas skewed it way upwards. Take out that day and he had a 5.96 YPC rate as the backup. That sounds better, until you realize that it means he also basically increased his YPC rate when he slid into the starting spot just like the other guys did.

So let's put this all together. What are we looking at for Yeldon in 2013?

I don't think he'll end up with fewer carries than Coffee did in 2008, which was 233. He probably won't match Richardson's 283 carries in 2011 unless the backup situation ends up as bad as Saban was trying to make it sound. Because numbers that end with fives and zeroes sound the best, let's set his range at 235 to 270 carries. That span will put him between Coffee's 2008 and Ingram's 2009 in terms of times toting the ball.

Given the track record, Yeldon's yards per carry rate might actually improve from where it was last season. He could end up roughly matching Lacy's 6.5 YPC rate as the starter. Past results do not necessarily indicate future performance, however, and his rate could fall due to offensive line issues, the defenses he'll face, or something else like that. We'll set the floor at 5.9 yards per carry, which is just below what Coffee, Ingram, and Richardson did in the primary role.

At the low end of the range, it comes out to 235 carries for 1,387 yards (5.9 YPC). At the high end of the range, it comes out to 270 carries for 1,755 yards (6.5 YPC). Right in the middle is 251 carries for 1,556 yards (6.2 YPC). The low end would probably be a disappointment given Yeldon's high expectations for this year, as it wouldn't be that much more than what he did in 2012. The high end would be a pretty heroic effort and would almost certainly get him to New York for the Heisman ceremony.

Right down the middle is probably about right for expectations, and the fact that 1,500 yards at a 6.2 YPC rate over 250 carries sounds reasonable tells you just how good this guy is.
Pretty good take on what to expect from Yeldon this year.

I don't think either of them are that special :shrug:
Hill/Ware are overrated

Here's the scary part for anyone who doesn't wear crimson. The YPC rates as backups almost all improved when the players moved to the primary back role. Lacy was never going to sustain that 7.09 YPC rate as the starter, particularly because a line of nine carries for 161 yards against North Texas skewed it way upwards. Take out that day and he had a 5.96 YPC rate as the backup. That sounds better, until you realize that it means he also basically increased his YPC rate when he slid into the starting spot just like the other guys did.

So let's put this all together. What are we looking at for Yeldon in 2013?

I don't think he'll end up with fewer carries than Coffee did in 2008, which was 233. He probably won't match Richardson's 283 carries in 2011 unless the backup situation ends up as bad as Saban was trying to make it sound. Because numbers that end with fives and zeroes sound the best, let's set his range at 235 to 270 carries. That span will put him between Coffee's 2008 and Ingram's 2009 in terms of times toting the ball.

Given the track record, Yeldon's yards per carry rate might actually improve from where it was last season. He could end up roughly matching Lacy's 6.5 YPC rate as the starter. Past results do not necessarily indicate future performance, however, and his rate could fall due to offensive line issues, the defenses he'll face, or something else like that. We'll set the floor at 5.9 yards per carry, which is just below what Coffee, Ingram, and Richardson did in the primary role.

At the low end of the range, it comes out to 235 carries for 1,387 yards (5.9 YPC). At the high end of the range, it comes out to 270 carries for 1,755 yards (6.5 YPC). Right in the middle is 251 carries for 1,556 yards (6.2 YPC). The low end would probably be a disappointment given Yeldon's high expectations for this year, as it wouldn't be that much more than what he did in 2012. The high end would be a pretty heroic effort and would almost certainly get him to New York for the Heisman ceremony.

Right down the middle is probably about right for expectations, and the fact that 1,500 yards at a 6.2 YPC rate over 250 carries sounds reasonable tells you just how good this guy is.
Pretty good take on what to expect from Yeldon this year.
I own Yeldon in one league and wasn't super high on him when I selected him. But after more research and watching more games on him, i'm really excited for this season. He doesn't use his top gear very often, but I saw a great burst vs Georgia in the SEC Championship that I hope he can use more in 2013.

jonboltz said:
tdmills said:
DexterDew said:
it's easy to say Hill is overrated now, but I saw him go as a Top 4 Devy player before his recent incident
In the devy thread, I continually questioned the high ranking of Hill by others. The incident didn't change my perspective.
There are just not a lot of 2014 eligible RBs out there, and I think Hill is certainly in the top 3.
Context is big here. I see next years RB class similar to this years RB class. Even if you're in the top 3, it doesn't mean much. But if you were in the top 3 in the 2011 class(Trich/Martin/Wilson) that's a different story.

tdmills said:
DexterDew said:
it's easy to say Hill is overrated now, but I saw him go as a Top 4 Devy player before his recent incident
In the devy thread, I continually questioned the high ranking of Hill by others. The incident didn't change my perspective.
Which thread is that? Just want to read it. Thanks.

tdmills has been consistent in his view of Hill.

I personally passed on him three times (at 4, 8 and traded back from 11 when he was still there). I like him as prospect before his incident, but didn't love him. After the incident, not sure if I would want to use a devy spot on him.

jonboltz said:
tdmills said:
DexterDew said:
There are just not a lot of 2014 eligible RBs out there, and I think Hill is certainly in the top 3.
Context is big here. I see next years RB class similar to this years RB class. Even if you're in the top 3, it doesn't mean much. But if you were in the top 3 in the 2011 class(Trich/Martin/Wilson) that's a different story.
I'd rather have Seastrunk over any player in this year's draft.

I'll come right out and say it - Yeldon is the most impressive RB prospect I've seen since AP.

If this guy is smart, he will find ways to become more involved in the passing game. NFL teams love Running Backs who are capable in the passing game (passing and receiving).In terms of talent, he runs very upright which hinders his ability to be fully "explosive". He needs to lower is pad-level because anyone playing that "upright" isn't going to be juking or making any sort of cut in the NFL. As far as athletic ability, he seems to have it. Numerous times he takes to the outside and burns people.I didn't see anything "great".Decent vision, takes a lot of things outside and wins the footrace consistently.He's a kid who needs a lot more coaching. He can be pretty good but he seems hesitant to the hole and a little contact avoidant. He accelerates quicker when there no defenders around him, in space.He just needs more carries but definitely on my radar, he has potential.

If this guy is smart, he will find ways to become more involved in the passing game. NFL teams love Running Backs who are capable in the passing game (passing and receiving).

In terms of talent, he runs very upright which hinders his ability to be fully "explosive". He needs to lower is pad-level because anyone playing that "upright" isn't going to be juking or making any sort of cut in the NFL. As far as athletic ability, he seems to have it. Numerous times he takes to the outside and burns people.

I didn't see anything "great".

Decent vision, takes a lot of things outside and wins the footrace consistently.

He's a kid who needs a lot more coaching. He can be pretty good but he seems hesitant to the hole and a little contact avoidant. He accelerates quicker when there no defenders around him, in space.

He just needs more carries but definitely on my radar, he has potential.
The whole thing about not catching passes and running too upright are the exact same things people said about Peterson.

I'll come right out and say it - Yeldon is the most impressive RB prospect I've seen since AP.
I think you have Yeldon confused with Gurley. Peterson was a man among boys. I don't see that with Yeldon as I do with Gurley.

I think you have Yeldon confused with Gurley. Peterson was a man among boys. I don't see that with Yeldon as I do with Gurley.
I don't want to take anything away from Gurley - he's a beast and runs with a ton of power like AP. He's got Pro Bowl written all over him too. Yeldon isn't as powerful but he's better at making people miss. It's a matter of taste and I get why people prefer Gurley, but Yeldon is the total package in my eyes.

I don't want to take anything away from Gurley - he's a beast and runs with a ton of power like AP. He's got Pro Bowl written all over him too. Yeldon isn't as powerful but he's better at making people miss. It's a matter of taste and I get why people prefer Gurley, but Yeldon is the total package in my eyes.
Agreed. Yeldon is shiftier. I think that brings a bit more to the table as far as their NFL prospects.

Agreed. Yeldon is shiftier. I think that brings a bit more to the table as far as their NFL prospects.
Is it really that HE is shiftier (like in space and open field) or is it appearing that way because that mammoth O-line opens up more space than the Georgia line does (or possibly that we see Yeldon in the passing game more)?

I'm not trying to pick a nit. I really don't know. When I watch Yeldon and Gurley and Marshall and some of these other freshmen RBs, It is hard for me to make a comparison because it seems like the Alabama O-line just made things easier.

Users who are viewing this thread