What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you think Snyder should change the name of the Redskins? (4 Viewers)

Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

• No

Votes: 312 43.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 320 44.4%
  • Meh

Votes: 89 12.3%

• Total voters
When you turn a race of people you subjugated and stole generations from into a mascot for your sports team, some people find that offensive.
I don't remember doing either of those things to the Indians. :confused:
I don't remember anyone asking you to do anything to a mascot.
Sheik's point is better than you're giving him credit for. There is no longer a you in "... you turn a race of people ..." Treating people as monolithic entities is wrong in either direction.
When you root for a team that uses a race of people as a mascot, you dehumanize them in some of their eyes.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/Sourdough_Sam_Aliamanu_Military_Reservation_February_4,_2009.jpg
When did "49ers" become a race?
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/OrovilleTim/FL000016.jpg
Right. Do you think the gold rush was only white people?
More proof that lawyers really don't have a sense of humor.
I don't think this word means what you think it means.

More proof that lawyers really don't have a sense of humor.
I don't think this word means what you think it means.
Backstory: while this has nothing to do with race, the Sourdough Sam mascot was changed from the furry mascot to the more clean shaven mascot. Most thought the new clean shaven mascot looked Gay.

Thus, the mascot could dehumanize Gay people, in a sort of reference to Ford's post.

But yeah, I don't think you define humor very well either. Intended at least.

I guess I don't understand why people are suddenly shocked about this. There have been Native Americans actually picketing Chiefs, Braves, Indians, and Redskins for decades.
Yes. And for years the picketing was looked upon as ridiculous. A few people upset with a team's nickname. People who were not offended 10 years ago, now are outraged and call other people racists for not being as upset as they now are.

Here's the biggest takeaway: If more people are upset now than they were 20 years ago, we are going the wrong way. That means that we are teaching people that words that didn't use to have any negative meaning, now should be considered offensive. 20 years ago, people who cheered on the Redskins had no idea that it was offensive to a few people. But now, thousands of people now know a new offensive word. Is this progress? The word had lost almost ALL of it's negative connotation. But luckily, a few people who wouldn't let it die ensured that a whole new generation of people would now know that a word is offensive.

Brilliant. In 40 years, maybe Indians would have looked back upon the Redskins the same way people look at the name the Yankees or the Fighting Irish. They could have used it as a way to remember their past and take pride in their heritage. But instead they chose to not let it die. Who's fault is that? It's not mine, I'll tell you that. Never in my life have I ever said Redskins and meant it as offensive. In fact, up until a few years ago, the only meaning I knew of for Redskins was one of great pride in our early American history. And now that's gone. Again. Who's fault is that?
This is the first thing you've posted in here that's been sensible in a while. Hard to believe it came from the same guy who made silly analogies to "Cowboys" and awful slippery slope arguments.

I disagree, of course- I consider the movement progress and awareness, not regression. The problem isn't the word in a vacuum, but the notion of treating a race of people as a caricature of sub-human savages, a concern exacerbated by the way they've been treated historically by those in power. Those problems don't apply to nicknames like Yankees or Fighting Irish. There is no way that 40 years from now Native Americans would look back on the Redskins name with a sense of pride.

And I don't think you're right that it had lost all of its negative connotation. It had been muted because many of the things that the team used to do were so obviously offensive that they were phased out (the almost-naked mascot dancing around and hooting and hollering, the use of "scalping" in the song, other savage type imagery). But it was still negative. At least as I see it. I also think it's kind of paternalistic for a bunch of white people to tell Native Americans that if they just stop complaining for 40 years everything will be OK. Again, especially considering the history.

But hey, those are reasonable disagreements. Arguing that it's the same as Cowboys, not so much.
I never said it was the same as the cowboys. My point for that argument was that people are saying dressing up in a uniform is offensive. My point was that people dress up in other uniforms and it is NOT offensive. I used the Cowboys and a make believe team of the Knights as examples. People took it as I was comparing Cowboys to Redskins and ran with it, as usual. Which is pretty much why I try and stay out of here.

You keep saying it's an offensive caricature we use for Indians, but that's BS too. Almost every mascot is a caricature. That does not make it offensive.
When you turn a race of people you subjugated and stole generations from into a mascot for your sports team, some people find that offensive.
I don't remember doing either of those things to the Indians. :confused:
That's very decent of you...or maybe we should start calling you Sammy Jankis.

I haven't really been following this thread but this change should come, and quickly. "Redskins" is an embarrassment. The only reason it hasn't come sooner is because Native Americans just don't have the political clout of blacks, Latinos, Jews, and other minorities- (which means, they don't vote as a bloc in a battleground state, and they don't contribute enough money to politicians to influence their thinking.) Otherwise you would have seen a change 30 years ago.

I haven't really been following this thread but this change should come, and quickly. "Redskins" is an embarrassment. The only reason it hasn't come sooner is because Native Americans just don't have the political clout of blacks, Latinos, Jews, and other minorities- (which means, they don't vote as a bloc in a battleground state, and they don't contribute enough money to politicians to influence their thinking.) Otherwise you would have seen a change 30 years ago.
That, or the fact that an overwhelming majority of them aren't bothered by it.

Is there a poll that indicates this is so? As I've said, I haven't kept up with this thread.

Is there a poll that indicates this is so? As I've said, I haven't kept up with this thread.
There are competing polls, each claiming the other's methodology was terrible.

Avoiding injuries, I'm on an iPhone so I can't link anything, but I googled this and it appears that those who want the name changed include the Oneida (the instigators), the Cherokee, the Seminole, the Navajo and 250 other tribes. Those are some pretty big names within the Native American community. It doesn't prove anything, but it leads me to suspect your claim that the vast majority don't want it changed may be a little off.

Avoiding injuries, I'm on an iPhone so I can't link anything, but I googled this and it appears that those who want the name changed include the Oneida (the instigators), the Cherokee, the Seminole, the Navajo and 250 other tribes. Those are some pretty big names within the Native American community. It doesn't prove anything, but it leads me to suspect your claim that the vast majority don't want it changed may be a little off.
http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/most-indians-say-name-of-washington-redskins-is-acceptable-while-9-percent-call-it-offensive/

Most American Indians say that calling Washingtons professional football team the Redskins does not bother them, the University of Pennsylvanias National Annenberg Election Survey shows.

Ninety percent of Indians took that position, while 9 percent said they found the name offensive. One percent had no answer. The margin of sampling error for those findings was plus or minus two percentage points.

Because they make up a very small proportion of the total population, the responses of 768 people who said they were Indians or Native Americans were collected over a very long period of polling, from October 7, 2003 through September 20, 2004. They included Indians from every state except Alaska and Hawaii, where the Annenberg survey does not interview. The question that was put to them was The professional football team in Washington calls itself the Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive or doesnt it bother you?

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/most-indians-say-name-of-washington-redskins-is-acceptable-while-9-percent-call-it-offensive/Most American Indians say that calling Washingtons professional football team the Redskins does not bother them, the University of Pennsylvanias National Annenberg Election Survey shows.

Ninety percent of Indians took that position, while 9 percent said they found the name offensive. One percent had no answer. The margin of sampling error for those findings was plus or minus two percentage points.

Because they make up a very small proportion of the total population, the responses of 768 people who said they were Indians or Native Americans were collected over a very long period of polling, from October 7, 2003 through September 20, 2004. They included Indians from every state except Alaska and Hawaii, where the Annenberg survey does not interview. The question that was put to them was The professional football team in Washington calls itself the Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive or doesnt it bother you?
Now, how did they identify Native Americans, again?

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/most-indians-say-name-of-washington-redskins-is-acceptable-while-9-percent-call-it-offensive/Most American Indians say that calling Washingtons professional football team the Redskins does not bother them, the University of Pennsylvanias National Annenberg Election Survey shows.

I'll just post all of the objections to the poll so we don't have to go over them one by one. Being ten years old, the survey is of little value given the evolution of public opinion on other social issues over the same period.

Context matters - The questions regarding the football team were only part of a longer election-year survey.

The self-identification problem - Comparing the US Census data for self-identified Native Americans with the numbers of enrolled tribal citizens, 40% of those who claim to be Native American have no support for that claim.

Use of landlines - Only 53% of Native Americans had a land-line in 2005, so almost half of the target population was excluded from the sampling process.

The question was poorly worded and confusing - The phrasing As a Native American, do you find that name offensive or doesnt it bother you? has multiple issues. It is a two part question with no single answer.

Sample size - Only 768 Native Americans were polled, which is only 0.04 percent of the population, meeting the minimal requirement to be statistically significant, but too few to justify using it as a definitive measure of Native American opinion given the issues cited above.

“We have many local tribes in my state of Arizona, and they come to me and tell me its offensive,” McCain said, via USA Today.
But John! It's only a small number of people who no one takes seriously! What do you mean you have tribes coming to you and telling you it's offensive? That's un-possible!

It's time to step up the activism. I call for Joe and David to temporarily ban any Washington fan here who opposes the name change.

I'll just post all of the objections to the poll so we don't have to go over them one by one.Being ten years old, the survey is of little value given the evolution of public opinion on other social issues over the same period.

Context matters - The questions regarding the football team were only part of a longer election-year survey.

The self-identification problem - Comparing the US Census data for self-identified Native Americans with the numbers of enrolled tribal citizens, 40% of those who claim to be Native American have no support for that claim.

Use of landlines - Only 53% of Native Americans had a land-line in 2005, so almost half of the target population was excluded from the sampling process.

The question was poorly worded and confusing - The phrasing As a Native American, do you find that name offensive or doesnt it bother you? has multiple issues. It is a two part question with no single answer.

Sample size - Only 768 Native Americans were polled, which is only 0.04 percent of the population, meeting the minimal requirement to be statistically significant, but too few to justify using it as a definitive measure of Native American opinion given the issues cited above.
Yeah, the poll is way too old. We shouldn't discount all the time white liberals have put into explaining to the minorities that they should be offended since.

I'll just post all of the objections to the poll so we don't have to go over them one by one.Being ten years old, the survey is of little value given the evolution of public opinion on other social issues over the same period.

Yeah, the poll is way too old. We shouldn't discount all the time white liberals have put into explaining to the minorities that they should be offended since.
Well played. Definitely nothing racist or patronizing about suggesting that Native Americans are unable to think for themselves.

It doesn't really matter how they came to realize that they should be offended at this point (and I pretty much disagree with your theory but that is neither here nor there).

You are fighting a losing cause and will be on the wrong side of history on this one. Accept it and move on.

Well played. Definitely nothing racist or patronizing about suggesting that Native Americans are unable to think for themselves.
I think so. That's why I believe them when they say they're not bothered.

It doesn't really matter how they came to realize that they should be offended at this point (and I pretty much disagree with your theory but that is neither here nor there).

You are fighting a losing cause and will be on the wrong side of history on this one. Accept it and move on.
Noted, Mr. Potato Head.

That's why you believe some of them and ignore all the others.

Noted, Mr. Potato Head.
BURN!!!!

Do you believe these people? What about these people?

I believe you can find a small enough minority to offended by anything.

And you have. Well done.

And you have. Well done.
BURN@%#@!%!

:lmao:

You are fighting a losing cause and will be on the wrong side of history on this one.
I like this schtick. Side of history = :lmao: . Those comments go along with the "It's just like the N word" comments and the MSNBC reporter warning viewers that they are about to see a clip where someone will mention the word "Redskins". I know, maybe the NFL should be required to put "Viewer discretion is advised" warnings on all Redskins games.

Unless all of this leads to big riots or something else major, this isn't going to be in History textbooks. It's not going to be a topic of conversation like the Civil Rights movement or even Gay Marriage.

"Today kids, we're going to discuss the Revolutionary War. Tomorrow is the Civil War and then Wednesday through the end of the school year, we'll discuss the amazing moment history when the Redskins changed their name."

You are fighting a losing cause and will be on the wrong side of history on this one.
I like this schtick. Side of history = :lmao: . Those comments go along with the "It's just like the N word" comments and the MSNBC reporter warning viewers that they are about to see a clip where someone will mention the word "Redskins". I know, maybe the NFL should be required to put "Viewer discretion is advised" warnings on all Redskins games.

Unless all of this leads to big riots or something else major, this isn't going to be in History textbooks. It's not going to be a topic of conversation like the Civil Rights movement or even Gay Marriage.

"Today kids, we're going to discuss the Revolutionary War. Tomorrow is the Civil War and then Wednesday through the end of the school year, we'll discuss the amazing moment history when the Redskins changed their name."
There's more to "history" than what's in a fourth grade History textbook.

They sure have convinced themselves, haven't they? Now if they can only get a few more natives offended to sway a poll or two...

That's absolutely true, but it doesn't answer my question. My question asks if you believe the large number of tribes and organizations who oppose the name, or the people who responded to the poll showing 67% opposition among Native Americans. Doesn't bother you that all those Native Americans want the name changed? Why not?

Blame the teachers unions.

They sure have convinced themselves, haven't they? Now if they can only get a few more natives offended to sway a poll or two...
You're basically alternating between ignoring overwhelming evidence that many Native Americans dislike the name and suggesting that Native Americans are too stupid to think for themselves and are being manipulated by white liberals. All because you don't want to have to call your local football team by a different name. Solid work.

In defense of any Washington fan who doesn't want the name changed, there is existing city precedent that a name change will lead to a significantly more annoying name.

You're basically alternating between ignoring overwhelming evidence that many Native Americans dislike the name and suggesting that Native Americans are too stupid to think for themselves and are being manipulated by white liberals. All because you don't want to have to call your local football team by a different name. Solid work.
Overwhelming evidence? A poll from a website I've never heard of and a list of names on wikipedia? Really? :lmao:

And the only people that suggested that Native Americans are too stupid to realize when they should be offended is you. Isn't that how you explained why an all Native American school uses Redskins for a mascot?

Overwhelming evidence? A poll from a website I've never heard of and a list of names on wikipedia? Really? :lmao:

And the only people that suggested that Native Americans are too stupid to realize when they should be offended is you. Isn't that how you explained why an all Native American school uses Redskins for a mascot?
1. The poll was by Cal State, the website was just reporting the news. And the list is a huge list of tribes and organizations opposing the name, with citations. You can pull the "la la la I can't hear you!!!" routine all you want, but facts are facts.

2. You said "we shouldn't discount all the time white liberals have put into explaining to the minorities that they should be offended since." Isn't that you saying that Native Americans are being snookered into opposing the name by white liberals because they're too weak-minded to have their own opinions? Seems like that's exactly what you said.

3. I never explained Native Americans schools using the nickname that way by calling them "too stupid to realize when they should be offended." You're just making #### up now- which is regrettable but I guess understandable considering how poorly your other arguments are going for you in this conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. The poll was by Cal State, the website was just reporting the news.

2. You said "we shouldn't discount all the time white liberals have put into explaining to the minorities that they should be offended since." Isn't that you saying that Native Americans are being snookered into opposing the name by white liberals because they're too weak-minded to have their own opinions? Seems like that's exactly what you said.

3. I never explained Native Americans schools using the nickname that way by calling them "too stupid to realize when they should be offended." You're just making #### up now- which is regrettable but I guess understandable considering how poorly your other arguments are going for you in this conversation.
And I never said they were too stupid and yet somehow you tried to represent it as my position. Also, in the post you quoted I really didn't think I needed to use this emoticon :sarcasm: as I was laying it on pretty thick but somehow you missed that.

ETA: And I didn't make anything up. You can try to explain it to me. Why are Native Americans naming their schools after words they should be offended by?

Last edited by a moderator:

And I never said they were too stupid and yet somehow you tried to represent it as my position. Also, in the post you quoted I really didn't think I needed to use this emoticon :sarcasm: as I was laying it on pretty thick but somehow you missed that.
No, the sarcasm didn't come through because it seemed totally in line with your other arguments.

So then you acknowledge that there are a significant number of Native Americans who are opposed to the name?

No, the sarcasm didn't come through because it seemed totally in line with your other arguments.

So then you acknowledge that there are a significant number of Native Americans who are opposed to the name?
No, haven't seen enough evidence that would conclude the number is significant at all.

If you'd like to read some evidence:

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=92046185&pty=CAN&eno=109

Hang 10, serious question: suppose you became convinced in your own mind that a majority of Native Americans were offended by the name and wanted it changed? Would you then be in favor of changing it?

No, haven't seen enough evidence that would conclude the number is significant at all.
So you are going with the La La La I Can't Hear You defense?

Could you at least address why you think the Cal State poll and the massive list of tribes and organizations who've come out in opposition to the name don't constitute "evidence ... that the number is significant' in your opinion?

Sure. "History" includes everything that has ever happened, I guess. Based on that interpretation, I'm just going to go around saying "you'll be on the wrong side of history on this one" to everyone I think is wrong about anything.

Some guy: "I predict the Jaguars will win a Super Bowl in the next couple years."

Me: "Whoa there, buddy. You'll be on the wrong side of history on that one."

Sure. "History" includes everything that has ever happened, I guess. Based on that interpretation, I'm just going to go around saying "you'll be on the wrong side of history on this one" to everyone I think is wrong about anything.

Some guy: "I predict the Jaguars will win a Super Bowl in the next couple years."

Do you believe that the phrase "on the wrong side of history" means "you'll be incorrect about predicting an outcome"?

Do you believe that the phrase "on the wrong side of history" means "you'll be incorrect about predicting an outcome"?
Can I ask why everything has to be so extreme? "You'll be on the wrong side of history". Of what exactly? A debate about the name of a football team? Are people going to throw a parade for all the Native Americans when the Redskins change their name? Nah, all those people will forget about in a couple of months and move on to something else.

Users who are viewing this thread