What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LeGarrette Blount signs with NE (1 Viewer)

Poor man's...very poor man's...very, VERY poor man's...like, destitute...

...Corey Di---Lauran--Sammy Mor-- oh, nevermind...

...but with Belichick, there's always a chance something unexpected and positive could happen. Stranger things have happened in the Atlantic Northeast.

Always, always, always keep an eye on Patriots players, no matter what you think of them personally...because you really, really never know.

The more interesting question for me fantasy-wise is who becomes Martin's backup? Is it Demps? Mike James (6th rounder)?

I have a hard time believing it would be Demps, at least not in a 3-down capacity -- he's smaller than the K and P :shrug:

Once upon a time, I was thinking about keeping Vereen at an 11th round value. Now, this Blount signing adds more question marks to every Pats RB except Ridley.

If I owned a Patriot back I'd be concerned. The last time we saw Ridley, he was doing his "Best" Austin Collie impression. Maybe all is not well with Ridley. Blount signing is also a sign that Vereen's role is probably limited to the role Woodhead garnered.

Once upon a time, I was thinking about keeping Vereen at an 11th round value. Now, this Blount signing adds more question marks to every Pats RB except Ridley.
I disagree with this completely. Blount and Veereen's skill sets are entirely different. Vereen is capable of splitting out wide, catches out of the backfield and is solid in pass protection.

Blount can do....none of those things. He's great at pushing the pile though, which Vereen isn't really known for.

I envision Vereen getting the first crack at filling the void left by Danny Woodhead, and Blount potentially not making it out of training camp.

I disagree with this completely. Blount and Veereen's skill sets are entirely different. Vereen is capable of splitting out wide, catches out of the backfield and is solid in pass protection.

Blount can do....none of those things. He's great at pushing the pile though, which Vereen isn't really known for.

I envision Vereen getting the first crack at filling the void left by Danny Woodhead, and Blount potentially not making it out of training camp.
You may be right about that, but I think I'm going to stay away from this mess altogether, unless RIdley falls to a good value in the draft.

Frank Black said:
TheFootballJesus said:
Frank Black said:

You may be right about that, but I think I'm going to stay away from this mess altogether, unless RIdley falls to a good value in the draft.
That's fair- but if it comes down to keeping Vereen at that value don't let the addition of Blount affect your choice. The Patriots have annually used a 3rd down RB that gets around 600-900 total yards and a handful of TDs. Vereen seems to be that guy this year and I don't think Blount could affect those touches. If Blount sticks around I do think it limits Vereen's upside in the event of a Ridley injury.

Seems like Ridley fumbled in some crucial situations last year. Blount is probably an attention grabber for Ridley . Maybe the Pats think he needs to feel threatened to produce.

Blount wasn't drafted and didn't make the Titans. He was able to make a bad Bucs team and made an impact. As the Bucs got better, he was exposed as not being that good.

That experience doing well and just general experience in the NFL may have allowed him to improve; also working out with NFL teams and their trainers. He definitely gets some credit for being in the NFL when people doubted him.

I just don't think he's good enough to make the Pats. He's a firey guy and I love watching those types on TV. BB and his staff are excellent and maybe they make something of him here, but I just don't think he's good enough.

He's not a good short yardage back. Everyone has always assumed as such because he's tough. He's not and that's one reason(us fans saw) that he didn't make the Titans. Fisher gave him several short yardage opportunities and he kept failing. In short yardage, I didn't think he improved too too much with the Bucs. If BB has a specific role in mind for him, I can't guess what it is.

Camp can become predictably boring, firey guys are awesome to have around. He's a fine "camp body" and I'm not disputing that.

Blount wasn't drafted and didn't make the Titans. He was able to make a bad Bucs team and made an impact. As the Bucs got better, he was exposed as not being that good.

That experience doing well and just general experience in the NFL may have allowed him to improve; also working out with NFL teams and their trainers. He definitely gets some credit for being in the NFL when people doubted him.

I just don't think he's good enough to make the Pats. He's a firey guy and I love watching those types on TV. BB and his staff are excellent and maybe they make something of him here, but I just don't think he's good enough.

He's not a good short yardage back. Everyone has always assumed as such because he's tough. He's not and that's one reason(us fans saw) that he didn't make the Titans. Fisher gave him several short yardage opportunities and he kept failing. In short yardage, I didn't think he improved too too much with the Bucs. If BB has a specific role in mind for him, I can't guess what it is.

Camp can become predictably boring, firey guys are awesome to have around. He's a fine "camp body" and I'm not disputing that.
Fair points, though I think you might be understating exactly how good he was in 2010. (which, admittedly, was a while back now)

Why would a team give up a pick to bring in a guy they planned to cut? Picks are valuable -- even 7th rounders.

Unless there's some sort of unobvious cap implication (maybe there was a cap hit associated with cutting Demps, but they can get rid of Blount for nothing?), I think the simplest story is that the Pats actually like Blount as a RB. Especially considering he's a guy that's already got enough NFL tape that they can form a good opinion on him.

BB loves competition...he does not like his players getting complacent or too comfortable...not sure how he really feels about Blount but prior to this deal Ridley/Vereen/Boldin were locked into their roles and had virtually zero competition...the addition of Blount is a reminder to those guys that they better be doing everything possible to get ready for 2013...if not the Pats now have another option...

Last edited by a moderator:
ExaltedOne said:
The more interesting question for me fantasy-wise is who becomes Martin's backup? Is it Demps? Mike James (6th rounder)?
Mike Smith was a late round pick last season that some were high on.Its possible that the sign a veteran like Bradshaw.

Ridley even in his success may not have the complete trust of the coaching staff
Nor Fantasy Owners.

For a guy that just traded Ridley away, somehow I feel no RB is secure in Pat-land. Ever.

Except for Faulk, somehow.

Hey wait a minute...I thought Belichick was a genius for taking Demps?

Patriot fans can not have it both ways...

Why would a team give up a pick to bring in a guy they planned to cut? Picks are valuable -- even 7th rounders.

Unless there's some sort of unobvious cap implication (maybe there was a cap hit associated with cutting Demps, but they can get rid of Blount for nothing?), I think the simplest story is that the Pats actually like Blount as a RB. Especially considering he's a guy that's already got enough NFL tape that they can form a good opinion on him.
I'm pretty sure every year there are a bunch of players they don't plan to cut in april that get cut.

Why would a team give up a pick to bring in a guy they planned to cut? Picks are valuable -- even 7th rounders. Unless there's some sort of unobvious cap implication (maybe there was a cap hit associated with cutting Demps, but they can get rid of Blount for nothing?), I think the simplest story is that the Pats actually like Blount as a RB. Especially considering he's a guy that's already got enough NFL tape that they can form a good opinion on him.
I'm pretty sure every year there are a bunch of players they don't plan to cut in april that get cut.
Sure. But they didn't bring him in just to 'be a camp body' and he's more likely to stick than most 7th round guys because they already know a lot about him as a pro.

Why would a team give up a pick to bring in a guy they planned to cut? Picks are valuable -- even 7th rounders. Unless there's some sort of unobvious cap implication (maybe there was a cap hit associated with cutting Demps, but they can get rid of Blount for nothing?), I think the simplest story is that the Pats actually like Blount as a RB. Especially considering he's a guy that's already got enough NFL tape that they can form a good opinion on him.
Sure. But they didn't bring him in just to 'be a camp body' and he's more likely to stick than most 7th round guys because they already know a lot about him as a pro.
Familiar with the concept of competition? If it works out great, if it doesn't even better...

Familiar with the concept of competition? If it works out great, if it doesn't even better...
Did an anti-literacy bomb go off and spare my neighborhood or something?

Miss-quote, was intended for your first post in the nested quote. Point remains, I agree with you on the part about they likely thought he was the best value available at that time, but I believe he is one of many players and he was brought in specifically to compete for a position, the Pats backfield lost a lot of dimension when BJGE left and Woodhead the year after now we have 3 halves (4 if you count Blount) - if it works out great, if it doesn't then he really is as bad as most people suspect and the Pats are better knowing sooner than later.Also, anti-literacy bomb, really? Does that pass for snide?

Blount wasn't "exposed" -- he was beat out by Doug Martin. There's no shame in that.
A thoroughbred came to town and outclassed him, proving he's not. This was not they're almost equal let's go RBBC. This was Martin is clearly better and just one season later, meh let's send him packing.

Great or top tier runningbacks don't only get 41 carries in a season.

There have been tons and tons of good runningbacks in NFL history. There's been tons of useful utility types too.

Blount is not a Clydesdale.

You can't sugarcoat 41 carries with any logic where you have more faith in him than the team where he got the K the year before....cmon.

The Chris Ivory fans are working up a similar trend here. It's typical of offseason and I flat out love the sleeper picks in FF and all too, but there isn't even opportunity here. At least Ivory went to a team where he might get some.

I liked Blount on the Titans and I wanted them to keep him, but as a FB. I think his mindset is similar and his skillset is better than most FBs. He's not a very good reactionary blocker but I always felt he could so nail someone if he had an assignment.

I think those FFers that were oh so fortunate to grab him as he received opportunity in 2010 may possibly be impartial here. He didn't get much opportunity last year (41 carries) and no one here seems to have any idea how he'll get any opportunity with the Pats either.

Blount wasn't "exposed" -- he was beat out by Doug Martin. There's no shame in that.
A thoroughbred came to town and outclassed him, proving he's not. This was not they're almost equal let's go RBBC. This was Martin is clearly better and just one season later, meh let's send him packing.

Great or top tier runningbacks don't only get 41 carries in a season.

There have been tons and tons of good runningbacks in NFL history. There's been tons of useful utility types too.

Blount is not a Clydesdale.

You can't sugarcoat 41 carries with any logic where you have more faith in him than the team where he got the K the year before....cmon.

The Chris Ivory fans are working up a similar trend here. It's typical of offseason and I flat out love the sleeper picks in FF and all too, but there isn't even opportunity here. At least Ivory went to a team where he might get some.

I liked Blount on the Titans and I wanted them to keep him, but as a FB. I think his mindset is similar and his skillset is better than most FBs. He's not a very good reactionary blocker but I always felt he could so nail someone if he had an assignment.

I think those FFers that were oh so fortunate to grab him as he received opportunity in 2010 may possibly be impartial here. He didn't get much opportunity last year (41 carries) and no one here seems to have any idea how he'll get any opportunity with the Pats either.
Pretty much agree with all of this, Blount, Ivory and Shonn Greene, not the worst RBs ever, just not good enough - can certainly play a role just not feature back material.

Miss-quote, was intended for your first post in the nested quote. Point remains, I agree with you on the part about they likely thought he was the best value available at that time, but I believe he is one of many players and he was brought in specifically to compete for a position, the Pats backfield lost a lot of dimension when BJGE left and Woodhead the year after now we have 3 halves (4 if you count Blount) - if it works out great, if it doesn't then he really is as bad as most people suspect and the Pats are better knowing sooner than later.Also, anti-literacy bomb, really? Does that pass for snide?
Totall agree he could be cut, but think he's less likely to be cut than most 7th round picks since the Pats have a better idea what they're getting here than they do with most rookies that have to be projected.

I was taking issue with the people who were claiming he was a 'camp body' who the Pats brought in knowing they were going to cut him. Unless there are salary cap savings somehow, that makes no sense.

And sorry for the snide. For whatever reason my post incited multiple people to argue against a point I hadn't made.

I could see this going any number of ways and unfortunately no matter what any of us THINK we know regarding this situation BB is just as likely to be planning to use Blount as part of a security team for Brady to get off the field after the game as he is to be planning to give him 200 touches or more and bring some added physicality to the running game.

Of note... Schiano & BB are close and perhaps they would be able to speak man-to-man or friend-to-friend about what kind of player Blount COULD be if in fact his light is turned on. Blount was lazy and late quite a bit under old coach Raheem Morris. From what we have heard about Schiano I'm not sure he would have put up with that and reportedly ran a much tighter ship (pun intended).

None of us really know much about whether or not Blount complained much last season or what he was like in the RB room or the locker room. Again as a hard-lined coach I doubt Schiano would have put up with it if his attitude was negative. My guess is that because of all of the negative attention that Blount has brought onto himself in the past we would have heard wind of any issues that he may have been causing behind the scenes or if he had even "sniffed" of any wrongdoing he would have been gone.

Just my :2cents:

I have no earthly idea how any of this will work out but I will assuredly be keeping a close eye on the situation.

I have no earthly idea how any of this will work out but I will assuredly be keeping a close eye on the situation.
This is great news for those that like Ridley in '13 drafts. He'll drop a round or two because of this and in all likelihood Blount wont make a dent in his stats. Sure, Blount has a chance to make the team, earn some reps, get more reps due to injury and even take meaningful time away from Ridley/Vereen/etc, but that's seems highly unlikely.

There's probably a 50% chance Blount gets cut so hopefully your draft is early to be able to capitalize on the perception before he gets cut (if he gets cut).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...legarrette-blount-takes-pay-cut-with-patriots

Report: LeGarrette Blount takes pay cut with Patriots
By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

It's too early to say how LeGarrette Blount will fit into the New England Patriots' backfield plans in 2013 -- or if he'll fit into them at all.

Blount at least appears to have the enthusiasm of Patriots coach Bill Belichick. That carries some currency in Foxborough.

"We felt like we got good value for Blount," Belichick told Sirius XM NFL Radio, via ESPNBoston.com. "He's a guy that we basically gave up (Jeff) Demps for, and Demps, I'd say, is less of a proven player and there were some other issues with Jeff.

"With LeGarrette, he's been a productive player. He didn't play as much last year with the emergence of (Doug) Martin down there, so I can certainly understand that Tampa was in. We felt like he was a talented guy that we wanted to have on our team."

If Blount can make any kind of impact, he'll represent a wise acquisition by the Patriots. According to Brian McIntyre of Shutdown Corner, Blount agreed to a restructured contract that reduces his salary-cap hit by $1.07 million for the 2013 season. Blount's base salary was slashed from $1.25 million to $630,000, the league-minimum salary for a fourth-year pro.

It's a low-risk deal for the Patriots, who get Blount in return for Demps, a project player whose focus was elsewhere.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

This is great news for those that like Ridley in '13 drafts. He'll drop a round or two because of this and in all likelihood Blount wont make a dent in his stats. Sure, Blount has a chance to make the team, earn some reps, get more reps due to injury and even take meaningful time away from Ridley/Vereen/etc, but that's seems highly unlikely.

There's probably a 50% chance Blount gets cut so hopefully your draft is early to be able to capitalize on the perception before he gets cut (if he gets cut).
Agreed. Seems to me this trade was mainly about the teams wanting to get rid of problem players. The Pats wanted to get rid of Demps, since he said he only wanted to play football part-time, and the Bucs wanted to get rid of Blount now that Martin was established. Trading makes more sense than cutting the player and getting nothing in return, but I doubt either team is expecting much out of the guy they got.

That being said, I think Blount has a pretty good shot of making the roster now that he's agreed to a salary cut.

Put me in the camp that if he makes the team he creates nothing but headaches for Ridley owners...with BB i feel like he'll just use Blount whenever he wants and it will make it hard to start ridley...Not too say that he will take that much away from Ridley but enough that game to game you just won't know what is happening.

Unless he surprises in camp, I doubt he's really in the picture the first few weeks of the season. Unlikely to be drafted or held onto after the first few weeks (even though he may be trotted out for NE's early game against Tampa). But he's certainly the kind of guy I can see coming on after week 4 or 5 to be a surprise star off the waiver wire that leads teams to a high postseason seed by the end of the season.

This guy's a complete joker which is a shame because there is talent somewhere in all that laziness and stupidity. His only value is that he might make some people hesitant to draft Ridley dropping his ADP a bit.

Just another move that shows the Pats play to the strengths of their personel. I know Blount isnt exactly the most surehanded guy, but couldnt you envision a scenario where Ridley gets it between the 20s, Vereen catches the ball out of the backfield/changes pace for Ridley (woodhead+), and Blount knocks'em in from short yardage (BGE)?
no, you shouldnt envision that. bc blount sucks at short yardage.

Just another move that shows the Pats play to the strengths of their personel. I know Blount isnt exactly the most surehanded guy, but couldnt you envision a scenario where Ridley gets it between the 20s, Vereen catches the ball out of the backfield/changes pace for Ridley (woodhead+), and Blount knocks'em in from short yardage (BGE)?
He has definitely not been as effective as we would hope for a large back, but he's only had 15 career carries inside the 5 yard line. But while he has been disappointing, Ridley has been even worse.

Career stats inside the 5 yard line:

player car yds TD ypc TD%Blount 15 12 5 0.8 33%Ridley 25 8 8 0.3 32%Keep in mind all situations are not equal. Defenses fear Brady/Gronk a lot more than they feared Freeman/Winslow when Blount was at the goal line. BJGE had a TD conversion rate of over 50% on rushes inside the 5 yard line. So I don't think Ridley is actually sitting pretty here.

He has definitely not been as effective as we would hope for a large back, but he's only had 15 career carries inside the 5 yard line. But while he has been disappointing, Ridley has been even worse. Career stats inside the 5 yard line:
Code:
player  car yds TD ypc TD%Blount   15  12  5 0.8 33%Ridley   25   8  8 0.3 32%
Keep in mind all situations are not equal. Defenses fear Brady/Gronk a lot more than they feared Freeman/Winslow when Blount was at the goal line. BJGE had a TD conversion rate of over 50% on rushes inside the 5 yard line. So I don't think Ridley is actually sitting pretty here.
Good stuff!!Put me in the camp that thinks its more of a headache for Ridley owners but the potential is there for a guy like Blount to be of value to the team...Heck if Sammie stinking Morris can have value in this offense at one pt a few yrs back then Blount can too IF he keeps his nose clean and gets to work...I rolled my eyes a bit with that last statement...Blount will prolly throw this opportunity away as well by showing up late and basically just by being himself

Anyone get the sense Blount might be a little under the radar right now?

The Houston game was fairly high scoring calling for more Vereen in the backfield, but if NE takes control of a ball game it seems to me Blount could pile up carries in any given game, typically have a shot at a TD in each game and maybe even a 2 TD game if the conditions are favorable.

Anyone get the sense Blount might be a little under the radar right now?

The Houston game was fairly high scoring calling for more Vereen in the backfield, but if NE takes control of a ball game it seems to me Blount could pile up carries in any given game, typically have a shot at a TD in each game and maybe even a 2 TD game if the conditions are favorable.
Maybe if you're truly desperate, but even in the two games Ridley has missed, he's only hit 12 carries. He offers zero as a receiver, and he has his own issues with fumbling, which could obviously lead to a quick hook. I've always thought that Blount was a more talented RB (strictly as an inside runner) than he's been given credit for around here, but it's pretty hard to see NE feeding him 20 carries / game + goal-line. Dynasty-wise, I still like him as a buy (super low) -- he's a UFA after this year and could land with a team where he could carve out a bigger role. He's good enough to be a Shonn Greene / Cedric Benson in the right situation IMO.

Rotoworld:

LeGarrette Blount rushed 24 times for 189 yards and two touchdowns in New England's Week 17 win over the Bills.
It was a career-best day for the Patriots' starting "big back," as Blount ate up yards in chunks all afternoon, even managing 145 yards on two kick returns. The Bills simply had no answer as Blount lowered his pad level and battered a front seven that was missing Marcell Dareus (discipline) for over half the game. The only blemish was a fumble that New England recovered. Backup Stevan Ridley touched the ball 12 times, but Blount enters the postseason as New England's clear feature runner on early downs. He finishes the regular season the owner of 772 yards, seven touchdowns and a 5.04 YPC. It was Blount's best year since his rookie campaign in 2010. Either way, Blount is a middling Dynasty option in New England's chameleon offense.

Users who are viewing this thread