What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (3 Viewers)

Any chance we see a large army of whatever Uncle Benjen was appear? I'm assuming he's some sort of undead warrior for the lord of light

I'm going to mess up the nomenclature here with my question, but here goes -

I can't recall how the dragon glass works against the WW. Does it kill any of them, i.e. both the lower "soldiers" and the wights (leaders)? Does it work like Valyrian steel and kill them with a single hit? I recall Jon Snow hitting a wight with his sword a season or two ago and it instantly disintegrated. 

If the answer to both above is yes, it would seem like advantage Winterfell with all of its dragon glass weapons and defenses, no?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAfdHNjbYHU

OK, so Valerian steel and dragon glass for sure. Fire kills the dead.  What was the trick with the Child's (of the Forest) spear in the 3ER cave scene with Hodor? She speared a WW in the neck. I can't recall, did they ever elaborate on that spear being V-steel or dragonglass tipped?
Imagine it was dragonglass

OK, so Valerian steel and dragon glass for sure. Fire kills the dead.  What was the trick with the Child's (of the Forest) spear in the 3ER cave scene with Hodor? She speared a WW in the neck. I can't recall, did they ever elaborate on that spear being V-steel or dragonglass tipped?
Fire kills the wights, but White Walkers can walk right through it.

Dragon fire may have different results.

Any chance we see a large army of whatever Uncle Benjen was appear? I'm assuming he's some sort of undead warrior for the lord of light
Benjem is for sure part of the dead army or whatever now. He walked right in to a group of them and let them have their way with him. He should have set himself on fire. 

Benjen said he was stabbed by dragonglass and the WW were turning him, then the Children of the Forest saved him somehow. So he was like, half-turned into a WW. Which is interesting bc we've only seen a baby turn into a full WW. And it was with a touch from the Night King, not with dragonglass. What was special about Benjen that he deserved full WW status? Can they turn anyone into a WW but choose not to? Wouldn't more WW be better than more wights, or do the new WW retain their free will, meaning they choose wisely and mostly use Crastor's baby boys? If so we're again back to "why Benjen?" then. It doesn't really make sense. Is it because he was a Stark?

I doubt it has anything to do with the Lord of Light though, the Children of the Forest is an entirely separate religion/power. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Benjen said he was stabbed by dragonglass and the WW were turning him, then the Children of the Forest saved him somehow. So he was like, half-turned into a WW. Which is interesting bc we've only seen a baby turn into a full WW. What was special about Benjen that he deserved full WW status? Can they turn anyone into a WW but choose not to? Wouldn't more WW be better than more wights, or do the new WW retain their free will? If so we're again back to "why Benjen?" 

I doubt it has anything to do with the Lord of Light though, the Children of the Forest is an entirely separate religion/power. 
We've seen the Forrest kids turn an adult into a full WW. That knight king dude. 

We've seen the Forrest kids turn an adult into a full WW. That knight king dude. 
Right. The first WW. But we didn't know the WW could do the same, now. We saw them turning children (without dragon glass). And if they can, shouldn't their numbers be endless? Why have so many undead when the WW are much more powerful. 

The more people try to elaborate it, the dumber this whole zombie thing gets. I wonder if Martin regrets making it such an integral part of the books.

Benjen said he was stabbed by dragonglass and the WW were turning him, then the Children of the Forest saved him somehow. So he was like, half-turned into a WW. Which is interesting bc we've only seen a baby turn into a full WW. And it was with a touch from the Night King, not with dragonglass. What was special about Benjen that he deserved full WW status? Can they turn anyone into a WW but choose not to? Wouldn't more WW be better than more wights, or do the new WW retain their free will, meaning they choose wisely and mostly use Crastor's baby boys? If so we're again back to "why Benjen?" then. It doesn't really make sense. Is it because he was a Stark?

Not exactly. A WW stabbed him with a sword and left him to die, to turn into a wight.  The CotF found him before he became a wight and kept him from turning.  As far as we know, the only way they make new WW is with the babies.

Thanks all, I thought he wound up being similar to Beric since they both had flame weapons hence the association with the LoL.

The more people try to elaborate it, the dumber this whole zombie thing gets. I wonder if Martin regrets making it such an integral part of the books.
He muddled up pretty much everything by creating such an elaborate world.

Like the Night King having a "White Walker Dragon" and not an ice dragon, which are also apparently a thing.  This explains why the Night King's dragon blows blue flames instead of ice as an ice dragon would.

Not to mention in the books there is the Night King as well as a Night's King which was a historical Stark.

Took me about 6 seasons to figure out at there was a difference in the wights and white walkers.

I could see this. They will have to have some major flashback scenes (via Bran) in order to tie all this up. I feel like there is going to be more to the origin of the NK, or at least where he went astray from his original mission which was to protect the first men and ward off the humans. If mid battle, when #### is really going down, someone asks Bran to find out how they killed the NK in the past, and that's the first time he tries to do that, I'm going to take out one of my GRRM books and pee on it. 
I'm thinking they'll use it more as a 2 week cliffhanger...you know to string us along by our emotions and give us a means to break the internet with our discussion.

I think the latter. 

Also, are all the children of the forrest dead?
I know he's not a fan of twins, but sheesh- seems like this is taking things a bit far. plus that would put GM in jail.

taking the previous thought here...  :lmao:  

They thought the WW were unstoppable because originally they thought only dragon glass could kill WW and there wasn't an abundance of it in Westeros.  Then in Season 5, Stannis tells Sam that there is dragon glass at Dragonstone so now they have enough to fashion enough weapons to arm themselves.  Then in Season 7 they found out that if you kill a WW, all the wights that walker created will die.    
that "all the white walker deaths" video somebody posted upthread and this post reminded me about that- had completely forgotten that crucial bit of info.

Tldw for talking thrones. Seems like Jamie has a bigger role to play than you would think.  So don't sleep on jamie.  

Ok. Noted. 
I've been saying this straight along. I think he's the one to kill cersei- but only after she kills tyrion. ser brienne of tarts dies saving him.

Not to mention in the books there is the Night King as well as a Night's King which was a historical Stark.
There is no Night King in the books.  Only the legend of the Night's King.  And the White Walkers are never called White Walkers. 

As far as we know, the show just co-opted the Night's King to Night King to give the WW a leader.  Though I suppose there's no reason Martin couldn't turn around and make a NK figure in the books that we just haven't seen to this point.

As for the Night's King (the form I prefer), in the books he is a legendary figure, akin to Lann the Clever and Brandon the Builder, and no more likely to have survived to the present day than they have.

that "all the white walker deaths" video somebody posted upthread and this post reminded me about that- had completely forgotten that crucial bit of info.
That is the exact scene I had in mind when I said this the other day:

One thing that I hope happens is: as they are battling the White Walkers, and one gets killed, they show a shot of the dead army and all the wights created by that particular WW collapse in unison and you can see gaps start to appear in the dead army. 

Game of Thrones by the numbers, via IMDB

Executions by beheading: 12

Deaths by poison: 51

Deaths by dragon fire: 83

"A Lannister always pays his debts": Said 6 times (seems low)

"You know nothing Jon Snow": Also said 6 times

"The King in the North": 88 times

"Winter is Coming": 15 times (seems way low)

"Hodor": 101 times

People to sit on the throne in the show: 6

Joffrey slapped: 5 times

"F#ck" by The Hound: 40

% of Tyrion's screen time dedicated to drinking: 43

Words in Dany's official title (so far. I assume Defeater of the Dead and Conceiver of Children of the Resurrected will follow): 32

Full frontal (male): 9

Full backal (male): 19

Full backal (female): 54

Breasteseses (half a rack): 10

Breasteseses (full rack): 99

Game of Thrones by the numbers, via IMDB

Executions by beheading: 12

Deaths by poison: 51

Deaths by dragon fire: 83

"A Lannister always pays his debts": Said 6 times (seems low)

"You know nothing Jon Snow": Also said 6 times

"The King in the North": 88 times

"Winter is Coming": 15 times (seems way low)

"Hodor": 101 times

People to sit on the throne in the show: 6

Joffrey slapped: 5 times

"F#ck" by The Hound: 40

% of Tyrion's screen time dedicated to drinking: 43

Words in Dany's official title (so far. I assume Defeater of the Dead and Conceiver of Children of the Resurrected will follow): 32

Full frontal (male): 9

Full backal (male): 19

Full backal (female): 54

Breasteseses (half a rack): 10

Breasteseses (full rack): 99
What about hound saying c u next tuesday?

need2know said:
Don't feel bad. I read them all too and forget most of it and definitely  won't read them again.  
@need2know - curious about that last part.  Didn't like them, feel the show wrapped it up enough, ? I am the opposite, and planned a re-read after the series is over.  

@need2know - curious about that last part.  Didn't like them, feel the show wrapped it up enough, ? I am the opposite, and planned a re-read after the series is over.  
I remember it took me a long time to go through them the first time.  I did enjoy them but I dont want to invest the time in them again.   Would rather read something new to me. I may feel differently in the future

White walkers take winterfell and march to king's landing.  They win and are about to kill cersei and what is left when she offers her newborn as a sacrifice (i e. Craster).  White walkers then retreat north.  Not likely, but just a thought.

I would have said maybe john/danny love child but that would take to long with number of episodes left

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t like the look of it,” says The Hound.

“For a big hard man you scare easy,” Thoros retorts.

“I’ll tell you what doesn’t scare me: Bald ##########s like you. You think you’re fooling anyone with that ‘top knot?’ Bald ####.”
 "I understand that if any more words come pouring out your #### mouth, I'm gonna have to eat every ####### chicken in this room"

White walkers take winterfell and march to king's landing.  They win and are about to kill cersei and what is left when she offers her newborn as a sacrifice (i e. Craster).  White walkers then retreat north.  Not likely, but just a thought.

I would have said maybe john/danny love child but that would take to long with number of episodes left
:mindblown:

ConnSKINS26 said:

Probably has something to do with him being a stark.....

Users who are viewing this thread