What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (10 Viewers)

Maybe it was my HBO Now stream (and we waited a few minutes before starting to hopefully avoid this), but I spent a decent amount of the episode kinda frustrated by how little I could see, never had that issue with GOT before. Doesn't help that for some reason our big Vizio doesn't do different levels of black well. But even the dragon fights were kinda hard to see

Maybe it was my HBO Now stream (and we waited a few minutes before starting to hopefully avoid this), but I spent a decent amount of the episode kinda frustrated by how little I could see, never had that issue with GOT before. Doesn't help that for some reason our big Vizio doesn't do different levels of black well. But even the dragon fights were kinda hard to see
It was hard to see.  They probably did that on purpose.  Not sure if you can brighten your TV and see if that helps.

Everything about the dothraki was perfect. The flaming swords, the futility. 

Good lord. This was an opus.
Loooved the far off shots watching the lights extinguish.... Such a clear analogy for the upcoming battle.

And also- pretty much the end of the dothraki and unsullied. Not much army left to face cercei.

Arya going to mark another one off the list?  Die Cersei!
I still think it has to be Jamie. But it would be great to see Arya play some face games to serve something up.

The Mormont killing the giant was major fan service. Even though we’ve never seen her fight anyone and there’s no reason for this zombie giant to do anything but step on her, he of course takes his time to kill her slowly and she kills this bad ### giant.
Yeah, was thinking the giant was going to crush her like a grape 

Act I ends with the trench being burned.

At that point everything Jon said was working out. Granted, the Dothraki are gone and the Unsullied are massively beat down, but Jon knew they couldn't stand toe to toe. 

Awesome.

Act II starts with Tyrion wanting to leave the crypt. 

The Mormont killing the giant was major fan service. Even though we’ve never seen her fight anyone and there’s no reason for this zombie giant to do anything but step on her, he of course takes his time to kill her slowly and she kills this bad ### giant.
Yes, the quoted is an example of fan service. Arya killing the Night King was George's vision from the beginning.

Why do people say the Arya thing is fan service? That’s so ### #### lazy. They spent 7 ####ing seasons working up to that. Pay attention. 
Question is, given the ol blue eyes comment from red (lol at mcjoses temptation reference)...did she change into a white walker or just sneak past the rest of them.

Nice pick up by Sinn remebring the scene with belrienne of tarts.

My complaints

It was way too dark. Jon Snow spent the entire episode looking at clouds. The Hound acting like a #####. Nobody major died except Theon. Arya was awesome. The whole episode felt way too Hollywood for GoT.
Sandor Clegane is irrationally afraid of fire and death. I dunno what else to tell ya that 7.5 seasons of Game of Thrones hasn't already.

Why do people say the Arya thing is fan service? That’s so ### #### lazy. They spent 7 ####ing seasons working up to that. Pay attention. 
I agree with you but I will nit pick and say she should have done it more assassin like, not running and jumping.  That was silly based on her training imo.  Her laying on the ground disguised as a body and creeping up would have been perfect. But whatever.  

Yeah, HBO does not stream in good quality.

I think he was going to be killed off and things changed because of his popularity.  They have just been spitballing plot for while so it is what it is.
This is dumb. They did it because GRRM told them that's in the plans, it's a huge plot point and the loophole used to get him out of his Night's Watch commitment and into Westerosi happenings once he becomes more important.

His parentage (theorized as R+L=J for 20+ years) wouldn't matter if he wasn't brought back. 

If you think it was only planned once he was popular on the TV show...you aren't good at this. Imo. 

I did not expect the Night King storyline to end tonight. I'm happy it did. The zombie aspect was always the least interesting part. GOT can now focus on the real villain, Cersie, and focus on what makes this show incredible. Also now get more of the Dany/Aegon issue. 

Feeling less certain that the good guys will win now unless the Golden Company turns. 

Question is, given the ol blue eyes comment from red (lol at mcjoses temptation reference)...did she change into a white walker or just sneak past the rest of them.

Yea I was wondering if it was the one who turned his head. Would’ve been cool to see for sure. 

This is dumb. They did it because GRRM told them that's in the plans, it's a huge plot point and the loophole used to get him out of his Night's Watch commitment and into Westerosi happenings once he becomes more important.

His parentage (theorized as R+L=J for 20+ years) wouldn't matter if he wasn't brought back. 

If you think it was only planned once he was popular on the TV show...you aren't good at this. Imo. 
You realized they didn't actually follow the books totally? They changed alot of the watch stuff.  Mance was another big change off the top of my head.

I did not expect the Night King storyline to end tonight. I'm happy it did. The zombie aspect was always the least interesting part. GOT can now focus on the real villain, Cersie, and focus on what makes this show incredible. Also now get more of the Dany/Aegon issue. 

Feeling less certain that the good guys will win now unless the Golden Company turns. 
I agree. The battles have been awesome. But the best of this show is the War of the Roses  World War I politics of everything.

I thought blackwater was well thought out and  better all around.

At the time the Battle on the Blackwater episode was killed for having such small scale battle sequences outside the walls. Didn't have as much budget back then so everything was filmed with a specific purpose, and filmed tighter.

I thought she changed into one.  Maybe the one they show for a second before she jumps in.  

He also had Tyrion as Targ but they changed directions there also.  They kept John around because the ladies loved him.  They got alot of pushback after the redwedding with Rob.

Another example was Brody wassupposed to die at the end of Homeland season one.  But they decided to change it.

My complaints

It was way too dark. Jon Snow spent the entire episode looking at clouds. The Hound acting like a #####. Nobody major died except Theon. Arya was awesome. The whole episode felt way too Hollywood for GoT.

It was the fire and futility until Arya being in danger snapped him out of it (with the Hound). Not like it hasn't happened before.

Jorah died. Pretty major. 

At the time the Battle on the Blackwater episode was killed for having such small scale battle sequences outside the walls. Didn't have as much budget back then so everything was filmed with a specific purpose, and filmed tighter.
It was also hailed as one of the greatest things ever out on TV

And they did a great job.  So deliberate and well paced.  Bron with that arrow was really cool.

They said in the post game they had Arya killing NK in the cards for several years....... kind of fits her storyline.

I still feel like the whole Bran/NK feud was still not well explained for what is supposed to be the main story, but maybe it’s just me
Yeah there is a bit of “why” to the whole Bran NK story that is never really explained.

Users who are viewing this thread