What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (12 Viewers)

Cheesy is a good word. The first few seasons were gritty as hell. 
I've thought about this a bit... First few seasons were groundbreaking in terms of taking key hero players out unexpectedly. The ground was broken and didn't need more of it at this point imo....especially after having these characters live and take their arcs to this point all this time. Many of their deaths would feel pointless- which, however "realistic" it may be, ceased to help tell or fulfill their own stories

I agree more of the main characters should have died. Most of them aren't such world class fighters that they are each their own pocket of safety in that tsunami of zombies. Maybe Brienne and the Hound
I have a trademark on "Tsunami of Dead" but I wasn't sure if they were actually zombies.  Thoughts?

Regarding critiquing the objective quality of the show and writing...like I said last week, I am way too invested for too many years to be objective, and I'm not even going to try.

I have no issues with anyone's complaints - I'm sure there is plenty of validity to em.

However, it don't phase me.

I am going to love this finally season even if it takes all the Muppets in the land to take King's Landing, with Elmo sit'n the Iron Throne.

There's a few others, but I know i am in the minority- this episode didn't do a ton for me.  There were some great scenes- loved the opening attack and the oh #### moment when the screamers hit the zombie wall, but after that it was a cheesy action movie.   Only secondary characters bite it, last second out of the blue heroics, dark blurry scenes with no sense of position, and seemingly the last 1/3 of the episode in slo mo.  

I get other's love, but this isn't what made me fall in love with the show.  
Other than killing another key character or two and maybe added a bit of light I’m not sure what else they could’ve done.  This was the episode of the Great War afterall.  They did sprinkle some of the relationship stuff with Tyrion/Sansa in the crypt.

I've thought about this a bit... First few seasons were groundbreaking in terms of taking key hero players out unexpectedly. The ground was broken and didn't need more of it at this point imo....especially after having these characters live and take their arcs to this point all this time. Many of their deaths would feel pointless- which, however "realistic" it may be, ceased to help tell or fulfill their own stories
Some should have just died normal battle deaths imo.  Same issue I had when they put LOTR on the big screen.  Every death doesn't need to be so important.  Not realistic imo.  

Regarding critiquing the objective quality of the show and writing...like I said last week, I am way too invested for too many years to be objective, and I'm not even going to try.

I have no issues with anyone's complaints - I'm sure there is plenty of validity to em.

However, it don't phase me.

I am going to love this finally season even if it takes all the Muppets in the land to take King's Landing, with Elmo sit'n the Iron Throne.
I think it’s fair to say all of us are pot committed at this point.

On the whole, I'm extremely satisfied with the spectacle that was The Battle of Winterfell. I'll be the first to tell you that I'm bitter the books aren't done and I selfishly don't get to know all the minute details that permeate ASOIAF. But they did an incredible job here of making the odds seem insurmountable, making our heroes' situation impossible... They had a story to tell, a spectacle to present, and D&D really delivered tonight imo.

Yeah I've been here for a while. I think George is a romantic dreamer type. But he had to do all this setup for the payoff.

She's been training for just this thing. I like it. And her arc was always going to be taking out a major player using those skills...was always either cersei or nk for me. Just going around murdering people in disguise would have been less interesting...although I did love the revenge for the red wedding 
Again, you bring up good points.  I dont know exactly what I was expecting out of her, but i guess it wasn't leap of the top rope on the NK.  Something still badass, but a little more stealthy and nuanced? 

Some should have just died normal battle deaths imo.  Same issue I had when they put LOTR on the big screen.  Every death doesn't need to be so important.  Not realistic imo.  
I agree- listed the people I thought would die, including brienne, gendy and tormund , but doesn't bother me. Again... Realism comes second to the story telling of the characters at this point.

Again, you bring up good points.  I dont know exactly what I was expecting out of her, but i guess it wasn't leap of the top rope on the NK.  Something still badass, but a little more stealthy and nuanced? 
I thought she was going to use her face change skills. But the, I'm still unclear in how that works- has to kill the person first, I think. So bran wouldn't have worked. Or a WW...but again, I don't know how it works.

A lot of people are also kind of dumb and stream the show on their tablet or laptop which is obviously not how it’s intended. It was dark but with a good TV and lights off, it looked fine IMO.
Yep. Turn the lights off and the backlight on the tv up and looked fine and my TVs a piece of ####.

I always try to remind myself that this is still Epic Fantasy even if GRRM is known for being gritty.

Same as LoTR, things happen not to be real - rather they happen sorta like a parable...a mystery play - of ancient Greece.

The meaning is not literal - in the large sense - it is representing a greater moral plane existence.

My opinion.

Jorah's death made me sad. :(

The depleted man power of the north will make it tough vs the south, but Danny still has 1 of her dragons (or did 2 survive), and that could still be the equalizer. 

Tbh, this was where I kinda checked out a bit. Soo dark and unless it was Tyrion and Sansa, had no idea or cared about any of the people in their.... Nutless too.

Did Gilly and kid survive?
Just finished rewatching and it looked like Gilly and little Sam were still alive. 

I have a trademark on "Tsunami of Dead" but I wasn't sure if they were actually zombies.  Thoughts?

Not sure what the technical definition of a zombie is but both fit imo. I guess if we're using in-universe lingo it's "the dead" or "wights" since they have no concept of zombies. 

Deep Thoughts:

I always try to remind myself that this is still Epic Fantasy even if GRRM is known for being gritty.

Same as LoTR, things happen not to be real - rather they happen sorta like a parable...a mystery play - of ancient Greece.

The meaning is not literal - in the large sense - it is representing a greater moral plane existence.

My opinion.

--Jack Handy

Users who are viewing this thread