What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (8 Viewers)

If it's just me, I am probably going to watch the first 4 seasons and stop.  

If my son wants to watch in a few years when he gets old enough and digs it, I might watch it through with him. 

OR if the petition works and they remake S8. ;)
I agree- the first 4 seasons are a great cutoff point. Like Downton Abbey after the Xmas special or The Office after the Wedding

I liked it...my thoughts

1) John was rightful heir...his ending seems off
That's the entire thing they're trying to end, the idea of a "rightful heir" tearing up Westeros. 

3) Dany isn't going to make herself susceptible to an assassination
Jon has been a blind spot for her for a while. She so fervently believes her own BS and longs for him to believe it as well. The nature of crazy.

4) Sansa kinda sucks...there is nothing redeeming about her appointment as Queen of the North
Can't imagine a worse take. 

7) Brianne gets a bit too much run...she's a knight...go do knight things.
Huh? She's the captain of the King's Guard in the end. She was writing in the Kingsguard history book to give Jamie the legacy he always wanted. It was the perfect sendoff imo.

Just because somewhere earlier here I remember someone saying they didn’t recall the show having good music, I’ll post some Spotify links to show off how great this show sounded 

Obvious main theme

Put on some headphones and let it rip, this theme is an all time classic 

Hahaha now the show hasn’t been good for 4 seasons.   You guys rock 
I've said this for awhile.  "Hasn't been good" is too strong (I would have stopped watching altogether) , but for me that is when the decline happens.  Killed off the better 2 villains and replaced them with one-note Ramsey, put Tyrion with Dany, brought zombies more in the mix, introduced Sand Snakes, etc.  

There are some really great parallels all the way back to the beginning of the show. 

Cersei and jamie throw mean from the tower to keep their family's claim to the throne.

Bran survives and takes the throne.  Cersei and jamie die when a tower falls on them. 

When jamie lannister killed the mad king, ned stark could have climbed the steps and taken the throne for himself. 

The mad queen died just steps away from the throne. Brandon stark ascends without asking for it. 
Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy who told him not to go to the theatre. Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln, and she warned him not to go to Dallas.

I thought that petition to redo this season was a stupid idea....

but does anyone have it?  I am ready to sign.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine a lot of people disappointed tonight, I liked it but it was flawed and far from perfect. Everything up through the fade to black prior to the council to pick the new king was excellent. Drogon melting the throne was awesome and then him flying off with Dany was a tearjerker.

But after that they could have tightened up that last 30~40 minutes considerably and it would have been much better. Too much lighthearted comedy, too many clean endings. I would have executed Jon, or faked an execution and then revealed him north of the wall leaving with the wildlings, or offer him the throne only for him to refuse it and ride north. All this meandering and trying to justify Bran ending up on the throne and then Tyrion meeting with the counselors was pretty blah. They could have established and tied up where the living characters ended up in a quick montage and a few short lines of dialogue similar to the ending shots for Jon, Sansa and Arya and I think it would have felt a lot less dragged out and more satisfying.

Long live the dragons, despite the weak ending, this show and these characters will always have a place in my heart. Dracarys!

I thought the children of the forrest might stab Jon at the end and make him the new Night King but instead I got to watch people rearrange furniture and write in a ####### book.
Ironic how so many people who hate the writing put forward absolutely wretched alternative ideas. This would make no sense whatsoever. The Children of the Forest not only regretted creating the White Walkers, they're extinct. 

Yea that was bad. And I have for the most part loved every bit of everything season. Even this one I was enjoying. But oof. That has to go down as some of the most anticlimactic let ### for a finale of one awesome show. Ugh
Bran as king makes no sense. 

“Who has better stories than bran?”

[arya looks around uncomfortably]

“I mean really who has better stories than him?”

[Jon Snow, who literally died, just sitting there in a dungeon]

Was about what I expected as far as tone. Figured Jon, Arya, and Tyrion would live. I thought Sansa wouldn't make it.

Jon's fate was really no different than it was when he was in Winterfell. Ned thought lying about the Targ heir and letting him go to the Wall to father no children was a good idea. This decision wasn't much different. I did like him abandoning the Wall and just going North. He has paid his debts for his history/bloodline several times over.

Sansa's outcome was a bit of a surprise. I didn't think she would live.

I like what they did with Arya. Arya is following more or less in her hero's footsteps - Nymeria.

Bran's ascension is a little odd - but whatever. Besides being boring and wooden as #### he logically was a pretty good choice if you didn't want any more succession wars.

I was surprised Drogon lived. I always figured that the Wall would fall and the Others...err White Walkers, would be defeated and the dragons would all die removing the overtly powerful magics out of the world.

I appreciated Brienne finishing Jaime's entry in the White Book but wasn't thrilled to her and Pod being Kingsguard.

Not sure what is going on with Casterly Rock. Tyrion should be Hand and Lord of Casterly Rock.

The only scene I *really* didn't like was the Small Council discussion. Seemed a little forced/contrived and Bronn being Master of Coin is a little 🙄

Not sure I buy Dothraki and Unsullied just letting Jon live. If anything, I would've thought they kill him and just go back to Essos.

I thought the ending was satisfactory considering how much I think the writers struggled with having to come up with a plot of their own. I wouldn't call D&D great writers. They are above average book report writers and average show writers.

It wasn't perfect, but it was closure. I liked most of it, in context of what the show has become. 

It sucks that it's so popular to hate on this last season though. It deserves some of the criticism but it kinda tarnishes the legacy of such a cultural touchstone. Even having liked a lot of it I can't help but feel my viewing experience was ruined by reading what other people think, and all of us piling on over the years. 

This thread has been awful for my enjoyment of the show as much as it's been great for it. I go back and forth.

But overall it was a fun almost decade-long ride with you folks in here. 

I look forward to another decade of this thread being bumped by random people rewatching or just starting out and never being able to escape the comments about how it should have ended better. 

It wasn't perfect, but it was closure. I liked most of it, in context of what the show has become. 

It sucks that it's so popular to hate on this last season though. It deserves some of the criticism but it kinda tarnishes the legacy of such a cultural touchstone. Even having liked a lot of it I can't help but feel my viewing experience was ruined by reading what other people think, and all of us piling on over the years. 

This thread has been awful for my enjoyment of the show as much as it's been great for it. I go back and forth.

But overall it was a fun almost decade-long ride with you folks in here. 

I look forward to another decade of this thread being bumped by random people rewatching or just starting out and never being able to escape the comments about how it should have ended better. 
At least it wasn't ####### LOST. I wanted to kick my TV in its ### ####ed throat when that circle jerk of a show ended.

In the end, Neds kids reign. 
The main characters were always the little ones 
I'm many pages behind, so this might have been covered.  Two things:

1.  I was happy with the way that Dany's motives for burning down King's Landing were described in a more "understandable" way, as if she thought that were necessary in order to "break the wheel" and blah blah for the future.  Might give Dany Fan Boys a little more comfort in light of last week's episode.

2.  As to the above quotes...I realized that, through the entire series, I didn't know from whose perspective we were meant to be seeing this.  Lots of evidence it might be a Lannister or a Baratheon, and with Ned Stark's demise in Season 1 and many others at the Red Wedding, didn't seem the Stark house we should follow?  This episode placed us firmly in the camp that we should have been seeing the Starks as the protagonists all along, with one King of Westeros, one queen of the North, and two off to do their own things. But RIP to Robb and Rickon (just swerve!).

Users who are viewing this thread