What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (13 Viewers)

The wolf's head sewn on Robb's body was messed up. Great episode, Arrya's kill, Tywin-Joffrey-Tyrion was great. Tyrion and Cersei's scene was actually touching. The show does such a great job at humanizing all the characters. We should absolutely hate the Lannisters after last week. However, this episode I found myself really feeling sympathy and empathy for them.

10/10 imo
you saying that was on par with last week?
not on par jsut because of the magnitude of the deaths at the end.

but the small council was great.

Arya was great

the rat king story gives viewers hope that Frey gets it

revealing of "reek" and who is torturing Theon

a Greyjoy/Bolton war for the north

normally the stannis stuff can be meh, but I liked their interaction this week

I'm planning on reading at least the first two books over the summer. I assume another spring launch for S4.

May need to watch the whole series again after that. I watched S1 only once, but S2 2x.

Some comments:

"Where'd you get that dagger?" - Love it that hound starts eating their rabbit or whatever before the last guy is done twitching.

Was Meli repping the war to the north on a real read, or was she just playing the room? It gets rid of Davos if he runs off with some pirates and whatever and deals with all that. Also prevents Stannis from blaming her if burning Davos goes badly.

Thought the touch with the coin was nice. Makes you think that stuff is still in play for Arya.

So Snow lives and Ygritte is totally isolated. Oops. I wonder if she's done in the show. Seeing how few characters get written out without blood I guess not.

One thing I want to go back and check from the show is when Dany goes north of the wall. I wonder if a raven makes a cameo in that shot somewhere.

Joffrey just keeps getting his shinebox.

10/10 imo
apples to oranges

Week 9 episodes are intended to be the grand finale (similar to the Sopranos' pacing). They typically focus on a single grand event, which has been building from the season start. Conversely, week 10 episodes are about mop-up duty, tying up loose ends, and setting the framework for the next season. Each can be great in its own way.

What is amazing about this series is its ability to keep so many balls in the air - and keep the audience engaged in most, of not all, story lines. I thought last night's episode did a great job wrapping up the Red Wedding, provided clarity (even for book readers) on Theon and the Boltons, and what went on at Winterfell, outlined the new power structure in Westeros - with the Bolton as Ward of the North until Tyrion/Sansa have a boy and still somewhat at odds with the Ironborn, noted that Blackfish escaped the bloodbath, finalized Jon's "escape" from Ygrette and the wildings, got Sam and Gilly back to Castle Black, we know a little more about the role of the obsidian, provided a little more clarity on Bran and his journey north of the wall, showed character growth for Davos, and a shift in plans for Stannis, sent Gendry on a journey, we saw the power "struggle" in Kings Landing between Tywin and Joffrey (and Tyrion and Joffrey), we saw Jamies return to Kings Landing and the reactions from a citizen and Cersei, we saw Arya and the Hound riding together, the ebbs and flows of Sansa's and Tyrion's relationship, how Shea plays into that a little, how Varys is still trying to work his magic behind the scenes, and, as always, we ended with Dany standing triumphant in her world.

To tell that much of the story in a little over an hour, I thought was good TV - it moved quickly, and each scene had a particular purpose in wrapping up stories and/or setting new courses, there really wasn't any fluff, nor did any scene feel rushed or contrived (except maybe the last scene with Dany).

I think I'm out on a island here, but Margary is the weakest link in this cast imo. Two (maybe three) straight weeks without her is nice and has helped quite a bit push things along without having to see what absurd cleavage outfit she'll roll with this week and never show the goods (since S2?).

I wish Brienne had had a tie-off, other than seeing her in KL. She now knows she's a free agent. How is she going to be treated by the Lannisters?

10/10 imo
apples to oranges

Week 9 episodes are intended to be the grand finale (similar to the Sopranos' pacing). They typically focus on a single grand event, which has been building from the season start. Conversely, week 10 episodes are about mop-up duty, tying up loose ends, and setting the framework for the next season. Each can be great in its own way.

What is amazing about this series is its ability to keep so many balls in the air - and keep the audience engaged in most, of not all, story lines. I thought last night's episode did a great job wrapping up the Red Wedding, provided clarity (even for book readers) on Theon and the Boltons, and what went on at Winterfell, outlined the new power structure in Westeros - with the Bolton as Ward of the North until Tyrion/Sansa have a boy and still somewhat at odds with the Ironborn, noted that Blackfish escaped the bloodbath, finalized Jon's "escape" from Ygrette and the wildings, got Sam and Gilly back to Castle Black, we know a little more about the role of the obsidian, provided a little more clarity on Bran and his journey north of the wall, showed character growth for Davos, and a shift in plans for Stannis, sent Gendry on a journey, we saw the power "struggle" in Kings Landing between Tywin and Joffrey (and Tyrion and Joffrey), we saw Jamies return to Kings Landing and the reactions from a citizen and Cersei, we saw Arya and the Hound riding together, the ebbs and flows of Sansa's and Tyrion's relationship, how Shea plays into that a little, how Varys is still trying to work his magic behind the scenes, and, as always, we ended with Dany standing triumphant in her world.

To tell that much of the story in a little over an hour, I thought was good TV - it moved quickly, and each scene had a particular purpose in wrapping up stories and/or setting new courses, there really wasn't any fluff, nor did any scene feel rushed or contrived (except maybe the last scene with Dany).
This week was a great episode (one of the best, imo) up until the last two scenes. The Jamie scene was way too short and the Dany scene was cheesy and unnecessary. They'd already told us that the slaves were siding with Dany. In a show that leaves so much offscreen I'd assume they'd done the same here and thought it was unnecessary to leave the big end of season scene as something we already knew. I thought going into the episode that if they were going to end with another Dany scene, it had better be with her and her army actually aboard some ships setting sail towards Westeros.

I would have preferred that they just cut the Dany scene entirely and extend the Jamie reuniting scene, and then move the Arya stabbing to the end. Her coldly staring into the camera would have been a great way to set the tone for next season, rather than having so much cool stuff happen and then ending it all in a fizzle.

I think I'm out on a island here, but Margary is the weakest link in this cast imo. Two (maybe three) straight weeks without her is nice and has helped quite a bit push things along without having to see what absurd cleavage outfit she'll roll with this week and never show the goods (since S2?).

I wish Brienne had had a tie-off, other than seeing her in KL. She now knows she's a free agent. How is she going to be treated by the Lannisters?
I feel Shae fits that mold more than Margaery.

:goodposting:

10/10 imo
apples to oranges

This week was a great episode (one of the best, imo) up until the last two scenes. The Jamie scene was way too short and the Dany scene was cheesy and unnecessary. They'd already told us that the slaves were siding with Dany. In a show that leaves so much offscreen I'd assume they'd done the same here and thought it was unnecessary to leave the big end of season scene as something we already knew. I thought going into the episode that if they were going to end with another Dany scene, it had better be with her and her army actually aboard some ships setting sail towards Westeros.

I would have preferred that they just cut the Dany scene entirely and extend the Jamie reuniting scene, and then move the Arya stabbing to the end. Her coldly staring into the camera would have been a great way to set the tone for next season, rather than having so much cool stuff happen and then ending it all in a fizzle.
I dunno, I think showing Dany with the sea of people worshiping her was a decent way to end the season. It shows just how many people she has following her because they *want* to not because of an inherited title.

I'm planning on reading at least the first two books over the summer. I assume another spring launch for S4.

May need to watch the whole series again after that. I watched S1 only once, but S2 2x.

Some comments:

"Where'd you get that dagger?" - Love it that hound starts eating their rabbit or whatever before the last guy is done twitching.

Was Meli repping the war to the north on a real read, or was she just playing the room? It gets rid of Davos if he runs off with some pirates and whatever and deals with all that. Also prevents Stannis from blaming her if burning Davos goes badly.

Thought the touch with the coin was nice. Makes you think that stuff is still in play for Arya.

So Snow lives and Ygritte is totally isolated. Oops. I wonder if she's done in the show. Seeing how few characters get written out without blood I guess not.

One thing I want to go back and check from the show is when Dany goes north of the wall. I wonder if a raven makes a cameo in that shot somewhere.

doing so will mean you can no longer post in this thread

10/10 imo
apples to oranges

I dunno, I think showing Dany with the sea of people worshiping her was a decent way to end the season. It shows just how many people she has following her because they *want* to not because of an inherited title.

I could get on board with this. I would have laid good money that she didn't make it out of this season alive. Looks like she is dead woman walking now anyways.

Some comments:

I realize this. Thanks.

Some comments:

I realize this. Thanks.
you'll miss it, you'll feel left out, ostracized, a mixture of rage and rejection

anyway, back to my corner....

B-Deep said:
culdeus said:
B-Deep said:
culdeus said:

Some comments:

I realize this. Thanks.
you'll miss it, you'll feel left out, ostracized, a mixture of rage and rejection

anyway, back to my corner....
* Finally, going forward there will be no comments on these reviews. I spent the better part of three seasons trying to make this a safe place for people who hadn't read the books to discuss the show without being spoiled, but the Little Dutch Boy can only keep his finger in the dike so long before other leaks start breaking through. I want to thank those of you who've read the books and refrained from giving things away — either explicitly, or with "guesses" on things like the identity of Theon's captor — for those of us who haven't, but after last week's comments began filling up with major spoilers for things that haven't happened on the show yet, it became time to shut it down. Going forward, I'm going to open two message board threads for each episode: one for people who have read the books, and one for people who haven't read them. That way, each group is kept separate from the other, and I'm kept out of it altogether, and therefore my commentary isn't influenced by what I know (or think I know) about what's coming next.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/season-finale-review-game-of-thrones-mhysa-whats-my-name#8LQLBhZ8P5d3Hw3C.99

Man people really love being giant Internet dooshbags. What a bunch of losers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sepinwall picked up something interesting I thought in the last scene...Dany seemed to really be eating the slave worship up. Maybe next year begins with her as a more power-hungry queen.

So in episide 8, the Red Witch took the leeches filled with King's Blood and burnt it while Stannis spoke three names: the Usurper Robb Stark, the usurper Daddy Greyjoy and the usurper Joffrey Baratheon. One episode later and the first name mentioned is dead. Coincidence? Will Daddy Greyjoy die next? Joffrey too?
Nice call.
Great call. I totally overlooked that.
Well Daddy Greyjoy and Joffrey survived, but both of them saw their "kingness" challenged and maybe even shattered by family members. Theon's sister pretty much told him to eat one. That seemed like a potential power #### in the Iron Islands. Joffrey was put to bed. At the same time, things look alright for Stannis. He somehow managed to save both Gendry's life and Davos' life while keeping the Red Lady happy. His two key allies have always disliked each other and he has found a way to bring them together. He also has a new purpose, bigger than the Throne.

So in episide 8, the Red Witch took the leeches filled with King's Blood and burnt it while Stannis spoke three names: the Usurper Robb Stark, the usurper Daddy Greyjoy and the usurper Joffrey Baratheon. One episode later and the first name mentioned is dead. Coincidence? Will Daddy Greyjoy die next? Joffrey too?
Nice call.
Well Daddy Greyjoy and Joffrey survived, but both of them saw their "kingness" challenged and maybe even shattered by family members. Theon's sister pretty much told him to eat one. That seemed like a potential power #### in the Iron Islands. Joffrey was put to bed. At the same time, things look alright for Stannis. He somehow managed to save both Gendry's life and Davos' life while keeping the Red Lady happy. His two key allies have always disliked each other and he has found a way to bring them together. He also has a new purpose, bigger than the Throne.
Just curious, do you not buy my interpretation that Meli wants Davos to run off to the north to deal with the white walkers as a way of getting him out of her hair and maybe dying by someone else's hand?

Nice call.
Just curious, do you not buy my interpretation that Meli wants Davos to run off to the north to deal with the white walkers as a way of getting him out of her hair and maybe dying by someone else's hand?
I thought last season that she was playing Stannis, but at this point what is the play? Stannis is her meal ticket. I just don't see any real power role for her without Stannis. In addition, Stannis seems to be willing to do whatever she wants and he was ready to axe Davos. I actually think she believes in this completely. After seeing Thoros and Berric, it could only have grown her faith in this Lord of Light and likely Stannis.

Sepinwall picked up something interesting I thought in the last scene...Dany seemed to really be eating the slave worship up. Maybe next year begins with her as a more power-hungry queen.
I think she is pretty except when she smiles. Eeeek!

Nice call.
I thought last season that she was playing Stannis, but at this point what is the play? Stannis is her meal ticket. I just don't see any real power role for her without Stannis. In addition, Stannis seems to be willing to do whatever she wants and he was ready to axe Davos. I actually think she believes in this completely. After seeing Thoros and Berric, it could only have grown her faith in this Lord of Light and likely Stannis.
I think she's just making that part up. You could tell she was trying to do a reverse-fake acting job there. It was really over the top when I watched it again. She's trying to tell the audience she's just making #### up.

Her motivation is just to be done with Davos. If this white walker thing turns out to be legit then fine, he takes care of it or not. If it's legit and gives her a backdoor to the throne then all the better. She'll have perhaps one army north and one army of smoke babies and leeches down south to take care of the other end.

Regardless, she gets rid of Davos without lighting him on fire which is a win-win in her mind imo.

culdeus said:
I think she's just making that part up. You could tell she was trying to do a reverse-fake acting job there. It was really over the top when I watched it again. She's trying to tell the audience she's just making #### up.

Her motivation is just to be done with Davos. If this white walker thing turns out to be legit then fine, he takes care of it or not. If it's legit and gives her a backdoor to the throne then all the better. She'll have perhaps one army north and one army of smoke babies and leeches down south to take care of the other end.

Regardless, she gets rid of Davos without lighting him on fire which is a win-win in her mind imo.
I don't see how giving away a bunch of troops in the middle of a war you're already losing and taking the fight to 2 fronts is worth getting rid of one guy you find annoying that was about to be executed anyway.

culdeus said:
Ilov80s said:
culdeus said:
Ilov80s said:
Nice call.

Davos was about to be beheaded by Stannis' order. Why would she save him now just to hope he dies later?

culdeus said:

I don't see how giving away a bunch of troops in the middle of a war you're already losing and taking the fight to 2 fronts is worth getting rid of one guy you find annoying that was about to be executed anyway.
She's proposing he gets a bunch of pirates and mercenaries to go, primarily. And the war for all intents is over for now. She's got a smoke baby coming maybe other than that they are a long way from doing any real damage.

How has Khaleeshi's rise in soldiers/power not been spread all over Westeros yet? Tywin should be prepping for war with her by now or at least a piece offering.

As to the finale, I would have ended the episode with the Arya killing, that was an amazing scene.

How has Khaleeshi's rise in soldiers/power not been spread all over Westeros yet? Tywin should be prepping for war with her by now or at least a piece offering.As to the finale, I would have ended the episode with the Arya killing, that was an amazing scene.
She's still a hell of a long way away.

How has Khaleeshi's rise in soldiers/power not been spread all over Westeros yet? Tywin should be prepping for war with her by now or at least a piece offering. As to the finale, I would have ended the episode with the Arya killing, that was an amazing scene.
I've got a piece offering for her.

How has Khaleeshi's rise in soldiers/power not been spread all over Westeros yet? Tywin should be prepping for war with her by now or at least a piece offering.As to the finale, I would have ended the episode with the Arya killing, that was an amazing scene.
Didnt Tywin basically scowl at the thought of her dragons in an earlier episode?

Didnt Tywin basically scowl at the thought of her dragons in an earlier episode?
exactly, unless communication with that part of the world is rare, he should be aware of the rumors being real.

exactly, unless communication with that part of the world is rare, he should be aware of the rumors being real.
He knows theyre real. He thinks theyre small and no threat to them.

How has Khaleeshi's rise in soldiers/power not been spread all over Westeros yet? Tywin should be prepping for war with her by now or at least a piece offering.
the Lannisters' indifference to her is a little puzzling to me. as ruthless as they are, I would have thought they would have found a way to assassinate her by now...could have been done easy enough after Drogo died. I'm sure Tywin realizes what a threat she could be because she has a legitimate claim to the throne, and I'm sure he doesn't have any intention of giving up power. now it seems like it's too late...she's got an army, dragons, and 4 bad### warriors to counsel her.

Those slaves that she just freed. They looked like a bunch of old men and women and some children. What's the plan with them? Just use them as a front line to absorb any arrows coming their way? I got the sense that the 4 dudes with her could have taken all of those slaves out without breaking a sweat.

Those slaves that she just freed. They looked like a bunch of old men and women and some children. What's the plan with them? Just use them as a front line to absorb any arrows coming their way? I got the sense that the 4 dudes with her could have taken all of those slaves out without breaking a sweat.
They need back line people to make the grub and grow food and crap.

Homer J Simpson said:
Arya is sooooo badass. :wub:
wonder what % of girls born from 2011 - 2015 will be named arya.
Many

http://www.businessinsider.com/arya-is-the-fastest-growing-baby-name-thanks-to-game-of-thrones-2013-5
Not that I really care, but that article has a huge mistake in it.

"Twilight" had a similar effect in 2011, when the names Isabella and Jacob shot up to the number one baby names after the success of the book-turned-movie franchise
Jacob has been the number name for every year since 1999. Isabella was number 1 in 2009 and 2010, then fell to 2nd and 3rd the past 2 years.

:bowtie:

the Lannisters' indifference to her is a little puzzling to me. as ruthless as they are, I would have thought they would have found a way to assassinate her by now...could have been done easy enough after Drogo died. I'm sure Tywin realizes what a threat she could be because she has a legitimate claim to the throne, and I'm sure he doesn't have any intention of giving up power. now it seems like it's too late...she's got an army, dragons, and 4 bad### warriors to counsel her.
They tried and failed to assassinate her...wasn't that when Drogo was sick? By the time they found out she made it...they probably also found out she was crossing the desert with a small band. But the time they found out about the small dragons....she's a few months away since they have no connections left alive...and they have probably never heard of someone wiping thru the 3 cities she did.Underestimated yes...so they probably wouldnt have payed a ton with their own war...and they probably thought no one could make it thru that...including anyone they sent.

They tried and failed to assassinate her...wasn't that when Drogo was sick? By the time they found out she made it...they probably also found out she was crossing the desert with a small band. But the time they found out about the small dragons....she's a few months away since they have no connections left alive...and they have probably never heard of someone wiping thru the 3 cities she did.Underestimated yes...so they probably wouldnt have payed a ton with their own war...and they probably thought no one could make it thru that...including anyone they sent.
Yeah Robert sent people to killer her and they failed. Maybe Tywin has people looking for her. Looking at the maps she is a long way away from Kings landing and doesn't appear to be headed towards it. The bigger her army gets the longer it will take to move it and support it. She's not a player for the throne right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tywin has been at war with the North and the Baratheon's, they were fighting two major fronts, Jamie was captured, Joffrey was at King's Landing screwing things up, there was no time or resources to worry about a young woman on the other side of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread