What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (7 Viewers)

towney said:
My take is Manziel's only focus on draft day was all about the cash he stand to make which shows with his idiot "show me the money" stick. I don't think the privilege of being an NFL QB was first in his mind. It's sad most of us would give a right arm for this opportunity/gift but guys like Manziel piss this once in a lifetime opportunity away. He's done and not even Jerry Jones is going to take a chance.
Do you take a chance on a guy who may be going to jail?
This. Is a team going to bother going through the PR nightmare of bringing in a drug addict and woman beater when he's not even an above average quarterback? I think Manziel's football days are over. Unless a Canadian league team wants to roll the dice.
Good point. Has Manziel even done anything to show he's a good enough QB in the NFL that you would want him, regardless of the his personal crap?
that's pretty much the line here isn't it? Even Vick got signed after jail, but he had more success than JFF.
Something about women beating that seems to be a no no, though. Ray Rice was untouchable after his incident in the elevator. If Manziel truly smacked his girl hard enough to rupture her eardrum, I just can't see a team bringing him into camp. Maybe if he was a talented player, but if Ray Rice was untouchable, why would anyone want a bad, undersized quarterback? Just not worth it.

Is Manziel even a good enough NFL QB though?
If he wasn't such a problem socially, he's good enough to be a second or third stringer. We've seen some horrible backups this past season. But no one is taking on the distraction and PR mess for a guy with his limited talent. I've thought all along that Jerry Jones would, simply because he seems to like the media attention and doesn't have a problem rostering low character guys, but I think his son has probably talked him out of it. At least Greg Hardy was talented.

LT played some of his best football high on cocaine, I dont see a problem here.
Strawberry and Gooden too. It was a NY thing back then

Yanks had a pitcher who got suspended like a dozen times or some unbelievable number

I need a cheatsheet now.

She changed her story? She didn't change her story? It's OK to change her story?

She was hit so hard in her ear? But she said she was fine she was worried about him? Cops didn't tell her to get medical attention or notice a deafness/loss of hearing issue?

She seems to be the dominant personality the alpha here and I never ever relate well when the alpha is abused. If it's some 'poor lil me" female attitude I find it much easier.

She showed up as a surprise with drinks a while back? (yeah bringing drinks to an alcoholic) He shows up and it's OMG what are you doing here?

Maybe most confusing-The family likes this girl? really? She seems like a stereotypical "why are you dating her" girl.

How many articles are there with fact, fact, fact,....now I'm going to continue with possibilities.

I'm totally lost here

I've never known of a football team to admit someone was drunk.

On FNL where the coach worked Riggins til he puked- that isn't all that uncommon.

I don't know how the NFL handles it when it's not reported. I do assume those coaches are cut from the same cloth where if you show up drunk at their practice they are going to run you into the ground.

I'd like to know more before "enabling" is attached to this.

It's presented like a shock someone showed up drunk and I bet there are stories of NFL guys showing up drunk that we don't know of.

I'd call running him into the ground "tough love" before I use the word enabling

towney said:
My take is Manziel's only focus on draft day was all about the cash he stand to make which shows with his idiot "show me the money" stick. I don't think the privilege of being an NFL QB was first in his mind. It's sad most of us would give a right arm for this opportunity/gift but guys like Manziel piss this once in a lifetime opportunity away. He's done and not even Jerry Jones is going to take a chance.
This. Is a team going to bother going through the PR nightmare of bringing in a drug addict and woman beater when he's not even an above average quarterback? I think Manziel's football days are over. Unless a Canadian league team wants to roll the dice.
Good point. Has Manziel even done anything to show he's a good enough QB in the NFL that you would want him, regardless of the his personal crap?
that's pretty much the line here isn't it? Even Vick got signed after jail, but he had more success than JFF.
Something about women beating that seems to be a no no, though. Ray Rice was untouchable after his incident in the elevator. If Manziel truly smacked his girl hard enough to rupture her eardrum, I just can't see a team bringing him into camp. Maybe if he was a talented player, but if Ray Rice was untouchable, why would anyone want a bad, undersized quarterback? Just not worth it.
true. But I'll choose the dog.

Why are you defending Manziel so much?
It's amazing. Not sure what this kid has to do or how many times he has to do it. Some people are still gullible enough to think none of it is true.
I think that's part of it. This maelstrom whenever he does anything, offers a million opinions, few facts, and that discrepancy leads to guesses. Somewhere in there is geesh I didn't want to read 10 articles on &*%^ Manziel today, what am I doing? Ya miss something as a result and it makes me long for some old style TV news.

If I had to compare him/the coverage of him to anyone it'd be Michael Jackson when he molested (or allegedly did) kids, some junk with Britney or Beiber too. It's got a whole "quality reporters pretending they are TMZ" vibe to it that throws me.

At one point, I was so what he visited his ex in the middle of the night. He's stupid but commonly stupid.

Now I'm well punch his ear til the drum does break.

Sometimes it's "sack up you lush, grow a pair."

At some point I just revert to the National Enquirer response-ha that's not true but thanks for entertaining me in the checkout line. It looked real.

It's amazing. Not sure what this kid has to do or how many times he has to do it. Some people are still gullible enough to think none of it is true.
I think that's part of it. This maelstrom whenever he does anything, offers a million opinions, few facts, and that discrepancy leads to guesses. Somewhere in there is geesh I didn't want to read 10 articles on &*%^ Manziel today, what am I doing? Ya miss something as a result and it makes me long for some old style TV news.

If I had to compare him/the coverage of him to anyone it'd be Michael Jackson when he molested (or allegedly did) kids, some junk with Britney or Beiber too. It's got a whole "quality reporters pretending they are TMZ" vibe to it that throws me.

At one point, I was so what he visited his ex in the middle of the night. He's stupid but commonly stupid.

At some point I just revert to the National Enquirer response-ha that's not true but thanks for entertaining me in the checkout line. It looked real.
I'm sure some of the bits and pieces are heresay or made up for shock value. Did the girlfriend really lose hearing in her one ear? Who knows? Just on the stuff we know for sure, I highly doubt Manziel ever plays another snap..

I'm sure some of the bits and pieces are heresay or made up for shock value. Did the girlfriend really lose hearing in her one ear? Who knows? Just on the stuff we know for sure, I highly doubt Manziel ever plays another snap..
Well, she claims her ear drum was ruptured from being hit. This is something that can be proven by going to the Dr. so hopefully there will be some clarification. My uncle had a ruptured ear drum this summer and he said it was very painful and it takes a long time to heal.

I think if he had the mental focus and committed himself 100% to the NFL Manziel could probably be a decent starter in the league. Certainly better than some of the QBs we have seen starting over the years.

I think the odds of that happening though are somewhere between teaching a Yeti to play chess and Brother Bluto's grade point average

:lmao:

well those people are no longer around. Browns will probably get a big fine
Just suppose the story is true and Johnny shows up drunk. Last week of the season, the Browns just want to get rid of him and the coaching staff.

Browns probably told him to go home and don't come back.

Can the team suspend him if he's in concussion protocol? Would the union object?

Can they drop the dime on him in the league and ask them to drug test hm?

I'm really not sure what the individual team can do.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Mike Silver says he regrets alleging that the Browns "lied" in his initial report, but stands by his assertion that Johnny Manziel showed up to practice "noticeably drunk" on Dec. 30.

"If the Browns say they did not lie about Manziel's (concussion) diagnosis, I will take them at their word," Silver said. As in, perhaps it's possible the Browns mistook Manziel's drunkenness for a concussion. It's not impossible, but unlikely. The story, while explosive, is largely irrelevant at this point, as Manziel's Browns fate has long been sealed. His NFL future is trending toward "nonexistent."

Source: Mike Silver on Twitter
Feb 9 - 3:30 PM
A "well-placed Browns source" tells ESPN's Adam Schefter Johnny Manziel wasn't drunk on Dec. 30, but was "heavily hung over on something."

"There was something going on there," the source said. Manziel reportedly complained he was having trouble with light, had a headache and was vomiting. "This wasn't some massive cover-up," the source insisted. "What are you going to do? You have to put him in the protocol." The story adds up. It's another brick in the wall of Manziel's departure from Cleveland.

Source: ESPN.com
Feb 9 - 4:59 PM

towney said:
jail? Sure.

Committed? No

He's probably done for now.

He could turn things around, but he hasn't shown that he can be a good NFL player. He's just ok, so from a business aspect, why would anyone take that baggage on?

To be a successful NFL Q.B. all he needs to do is to sober up, completelychange his entitled attitude, incease his intelligence about 15 I.Q. points, grow around 4 inches, increase his arm strength and his accuracy, and learn how to read defenses and lead men. Oh, he also needs to pick more stabile females and stop hitting them.

To be a successful NFL Q.B. all he needs to do is to sober up, completelychange his entitled attitude, incease his intelligence about 15 I.Q. points, grow around 4 inches, increase his arm strength and his accuracy, and learn how to read defenses and lead men. Oh, he also needs to pick more stabile females and stop hitting them.
You left out that he needs to recover from a possible (probable?) psychotic break. I am not just saying that because his girlfriend said it. His actions are actually consistent with psychosis......................hence the Titus Young comparisons.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, his choice of whores and blow is not all that outrageous. Lots of folks would succumb to the temptations available to him. Shortsighted, yes. Destructive, yes. But outrageous, not really.

To me the wonder is that more don't fall into the same trap.

BTW, his choice of whores and blow is not all that outrageous. Lots of folks would succumb to the temptations available to him. Shortsighted, yes. Destructive, yes. But outrageous, not really.

To me the wonder is that more don't fall into the same trap.
I really don't think anyone has moralized or truly judged Manziel in this thread, it's always been a question of whether his personal behavior was affecting his on field prospects now and in the future.

I think that question has been resolved.

Bri said:
Faust said:
I wonder here.

Can you grow up playing football in Texas and turn down a chance to meet Earl? And he mentions other hall of famers too?

This may just be the way to get through to him.

I don't know others he helped. That's interesting, would like to know more. He always seems like a gem of a man.
I did not realize that Manziel is from Tyler.

That has got to be a lock if someone arranges for Earl to reach out to him.

I went to UT btw, yes Earl is as beloved it as it gets.

One thing I've noticed about Manziel since he came in the league is that he never really identified himself as a Brown, but instead kept seeing himself as an Aggie. He never made that transformation to pro, he seemed stuck in college days and his A&M persona. I think Aggie legends or well respected Aggie football names could reach him. Scary when anyone goes into deep isolation like this.

Seems to me like he might be perfect for the CFL and a wide field. Plus, isn't their beer stronger up there? Seems like a perfect match to me.

Seems to me like he might be perfect for the CFL and a wide field. Plus, isn't their beer stronger up there? Seems like a perfect match to me.
The Als started Michael Sam despite his walking out during training camp and advanced past 2 LBs who had earned the playing time. Manziel could go up there right away, get his act together and become a pro.

He won't, he doesn't care.

Rotoworld)The Dallas Police Department said they have yet to determine whether Johnny Manziel will be charged for allegedly assaulting and threatening to kill ex-girlfriend Colleen Crowley.

Analysis: "As of today, there has been no determination as to what type of charge, if any, will be filed against Mr. Manziel," the police department said on Twitter. "As this remains an on-going investigation, no details of the investigation will be released at this time." The department said they have received medical records from Crowley as well as surveillance video. Crowley alleges Manziel hit her so hard he ruptured her eardrum and threatened to kill her on January 29.

Rotoworld)The Dallas Police Department said they have yet to determine whether Johnny Manziel will be charged for allegedly assaulting and threatening to kill ex-girlfriend Colleen Crowley.

Analysis: "As of today, there has been no determination as to what type of charge, if any, will be filed against Mr. Manziel," the police department said on Twitter. "As this remains an on-going investigation, no details of the investigation will be released at this time." The department said they have received medical records from Crowley as well as surveillance video. Crowley alleges Manziel hit her so hard he ruptured her eardrum and threatened to kill her on January 29.
Nice kid. 

I really hope this stuff with the girlfriend isn't true.  I've never been a fan of his at all, but you could at least hope the majority of his problem was an addiction to the limelight rather than a serious crippling drug or alcohol addiction.

But this stuff, if true, is just all kinds of messed up. Never really had thought of him as a bad guy before, just one who didn't care about anything but his partying and being big man on campus. This casts him in a different light if true.

I really hope this stuff with the girlfriend isn't true.  I've never been a fan of his at all, but you could at least hope the majority of his problem was an addiction to the limelight rather than a serious crippling drug or alcohol addiction.

But this stuff, if true, is just all kinds of messed up. Never really had thought of him as a bad guy before, just one who didn't care about anything but his partying and being big man on campus. This casts him in a different light if true.
At this point, the no charges/delay has to be in his favor, doesn't it? 

Greg, you remember Leinart I'm sure...can you think of any other NFL QBs famous for partying after college? Our society with head cheerleader and QB probably makes it pretty great to be a stud QB at a party, something 'every' hormone filled college kid would aspire to be in some fashion, but at the same time I can't think of any famous NFL partiers other than Manziel and Leinart. 

My gut says it's gotta be common and they just hid it well or didn't act like a baffoon to get noticed. 

If some draft prospect is a partier, is that a red flag now?

At this point, the no charges/delay has to be in his favor, doesn't it? 

Greg, you remember Leinart I'm sure...can you think of any other NFL QBs famous for partying after college? Our society with head cheerleader and QB probably makes it pretty great to be a stud QB at a party, something 'every' hormone filled college kid would aspire to be in some fashion, but at the same time I can't think of any famous NFL partiers other than Manziel and Leinart. 

My gut says it's gotta be common and they just hid it well or didn't act like a baffoon to get noticed. 

If some draft prospect is a partier, is that a red flag now?
I don't think it is a question of "partier or not a partier".  More a question of how much does the person have to grow as a QB to be successful in the NFL, and do you see things from his time in college that make you think he's going to put in the effort? 

Other QBs can spend plenty of free time partying but still devote themselves to the needs of football when it is time for it. They can gain the confidence of their coaches and teammates by the work and preparation they put in during the hours where it's needed. Does he have the mental temperament to lead a team, including leading them when the chips are down?

I think the book on Manziel as a prospect was closer to the opposite of that. And if a prospect is worse than others at things like reading defenses and hasn't given you confidence he can run an offense competently instead of succeeding through freelancing it, then it becomes even more important that you see he's got the dedication to the sport that is necessary, because he has more to learn than the rest. Partying was one example of Manziel's perceived immaturity but I don't think it was the only one. If he had been a hard worker who had done more to learn the craft of being a QB, I don't think it would be a very big issue.

Not to say teams won't look at partying, because they look at everything. But I don't see Manziel's failure making enjoyment of partying a humongous X anywhere it comes up again. Maybe for a few years it'll get increased scrutiny, dunno.

Never really had thought of him as a bad guy before, just one who didn't care about anything but his partying and being big man on campus. This casts him in a different light if true.
It's kind of always been there though.  I remember reading something about his dad saying that Johnny would use anger to avoid stuff.  Dad would try to tell him something, Johnny would freak out, and dad would back off.  It's worked his whole life.

I was always hoping he'd get it together so we could see what he actually was as an NFL player.

Greg, you remember Leinart I'm sure...can you think of any other NFL QBs famous for partying after college?
Cutler and Stafford - I don't think it's coincidence they both have tremendous arms.

The Man With No Name said:
And how does it not answer and relate to your question, other than I'm not Greg? ( Greg, you remember Leinart I'm sure...can you think of any other NFL QBs famous for partying after college? ) 
That is true, thank you for posting them

Users who are viewing this thread