What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OFFICIAL Danny Amendola Injury and News Thread (2 Viewers)

Can't believe I traded for this dude in one league.

Literally can't make it through a game without getting hurt.

Am I the only one who was wondering why he leaned right into that hit? I get he was fighting for the extra yardage, but there was a DB coming at him full speed and he lowered his head right into the guy. I get that he's tough as hell, but he plays like a ####### and that is part of the reason he's hurt so much.

The problem with Amendola is that although the entire world knows that he's fragile--he plays as if he's not. One of the greatest NFL players of all time was Emmitt Smith--and he piled up stats not because of athleticism--but because he understood the value of him being available to his team. Emmitt would be a productive player but also avoided the big hits. Amendola has a very tough mentality--but unfortunately--his body doesn't back up his mental toughness--just by size alone. With the gronk situation, and lack of consistent offensive weapons--he has to realize that he needs to protect himself and his body---he's that valuable to the team--but he just doesn't get it. I made the mistake of drafting him this season--but thankfully I played vjax over him today. Until he realizes the importance of being on the field and being an available weapon--I don't ever see him staying healthy.

jah77 said:
Am I the only one who was wondering why he leaned right into that hit? I get he was fighting for the extra yardage, but there was a DB coming at him full speed and he lowered his head right into the guy. I get that he's tough as hell, but he plays like a ####### and that is part of the reason he's hurt so much.
That's how he plays. It's unfortunate. I've watched him a few times with the Rams and this year and he's reckless.

I think this guy said it best

This guy is as tough as nails and as fearless as they come, but he just puts himself in bad spots with how he plays. He's reckelss. He plays like a guy with a 6-4 230 lb body.
I just don't understand why people blindly yell "FRAGILE! GLASS DERP HERP"

It has nothing to do with fragility. He's reckless, and saying that he plays like a guy with a 6'4" 230 lb body is an understatement. He puts himself in situations that no intelligent football player - regardless of body type - would allow to happen.

It has nothing to do with fragility. He's reckless, and saying that he plays like a guy with a 6'4" 230 lb body is an understatement. He puts himself in situations that no intelligent football player - regardless of body type - would allow to happen.
When both reasons have the exact same result, does it really matter?

jah77 said:
That's how he plays. It's unfortunate. I've watched him a few times with the Rams and this year and he's reckless.

This guy is as tough as nails and as fearless as they come, but he just puts himself in bad spots with how he plays. He's reckelss. He plays like a guy with a 6-4 230 lb body.

I think durability involves a combination of: luck, playing style, and body type.

If you're built like Anquan Boldin or Brandon Marshall, you can take those whacks across the middle all game and survive.

People talk about Welker as a small WR, but one of his sneaky qualities is that he's actually extremely heavy for his height. So while he wasn't an overall huge WR, he had a compact frame that could absorb the shocks. I think a big part of the problem with Amendola is that he has a gritty possession WR playing style without the accompanying body type. If he were 10-15 pounds heavier, he could probably shake off a lot of these collisions. But he's not all that heavy (even for his height) and that might be the real root of the issue here. Not that he plays reckless or without intelligence, but that he doesn't have the body to match his style.

Kind of like how (IMO) Murray and McFadden will always be getting injured. They're rail thin, but they're not great at avoiding hits. You can have one of those traits and still be durable, but not both of them. That's my take anyway.

He also throws his body around like he's a rag doll. He dives for everything, gets flipped around in the air. He makes every reception, or attempt at a reception, look like the most painful process ever. He lands awkwardly all the time as well.

:lmao: dude is dumb. Seems to look for contact rather than avoid it. He's in the best position of his professional career, you're not Earl Campbell

Last edited by a moderator:
jah77 said:

I think durability involves a combination of: luck, playing style, and body type.

If you're built like Anquan Boldin or Brandon Marshall, you can take those whacks across the middle all game and survive.

People talk about Welker as a small WR, but one of his sneaky qualities is that he's actually extremely heavy for his height. So while he wasn't an overall huge WR, he had a compact frame that could absorb the shocks. I think a big part of the problem with Amendola is that he has a gritty possession WR playing style without the accompanying body type. If he were 10-15 pounds heavier, he could probably shake off a lot of these collisions. But he's not all that heavy (even for his height) and that might be the real root of the issue here. Not that he plays reckless or without intelligence, but that he doesn't have the body to match his style.

Kind of like how (IMO) Murray and McFadden will always be getting injured. They're rail thin, but they're not great at avoiding hits. You can have one of those traits and still be durable, but not both of them. That's my take anyway.
This is probably the best description I've read. Took him in the first round of my keep5 league (so basically a late 6th rounder) this year and I could have had Jordy or Decker. Luckily I'm 6-0 but I'm killing myself over this pick.

And to the poster above who asked me if it matters whether he's fragile or dumb, or both. Yes, it does matter if you want to have intelligent discourse on the issue, which is the reason I come here. When you have belligerent posters screaming falsities, it detracts from the value of posting here.

Perhaps I'm different from the majority, but I have a decent chunk of change invested in fantasy football. This site is one of many tools I use to increase my profit margin.

jah77 said:

http://www.trbimg.com/img-522810f5/turbine/la-sp-nfl-afc-preview-20130904-001/600/600x350

They don't look much different. Amendola is listed at 5'11" 195 to Welker's 5'9" 185. That doesn't seem like a huge density disparity. His two injuries this year are pulled groin and a possible concussion. Don't know that weight would have helped him much in either of those instances.

Also, with both of his serious injuries in the past, there was virtually no contact at all. He dislocated his clavicle when he hit the ground laying out for a ball (and it wasn't even even a full layout) and dislocated his elbow when he fell awkwardly trying to evade a tackler. He wasn't contacted at all on that play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9pY-t78Zoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG8um4XZzGA

Can't believe I traded for this dude in one league.

Can't believe I didn't traded for this dude in one league.

jah77 said:

This is probably the best description I've read. Took him in the first round of my keep5 league (so basically a late 6th rounder) this year and I could have had Jordy or Decker. Luckily I'm 6-0 but I'm killing myself over this pick.

And to the poster above who asked me if it matters whether he's fragile or dumb, or both. Yes, it does matter if you want to have intelligent discourse on the issue, which is the reason I come here. When you have belligerent posters screaming falsities, it detracts from the value of posting here.

Perhaps I'm different from the majority, but I have a decent chunk of change invested in fantasy football. This site is one of many tools I use to increase my profit margin.
If you want intelligent discourse, you should stop with the herp derp stuff, and also stop discounting people's claims to Amendola being fragile. It should be clear they are tagging him that in the context of his playing style. But to your actual point: Congrats on being 6-0 in your keep 5 league, and good luck with your profit margins.

jah77 said:

If you want intelligent discourse, you should stop with the herp derp stuff, and also stop discounting people's claims to Amendola being fragile. It should be clear they are tagging him that in the context of his playing style. But to your actual point: Congrats on being 6-0 in your keep 5 league, and good luck with your profit margins.
Thanks, feels good to be recognized :) Best of luck to you, as well.

Not real sure why people are saying it was such a ferocious hit. Looked like tackle you see every game.
This.

The scary part was seeing him unconscious after it. Bush's hit KO'd him -- he was out before even hitting the ground. Then seeing him get up with wobbly legs. I really don't know if this guy is going to be for much longer in the league. I'd expect a lengthy absence with this concussion.

Well let's see, he's played in like 2 or 3 games so far this season. He had one good game in week 1. Last 2 weeks were putrid and injury filled. Now he's got a major concussion and the patriots are never clear about the status of their players.

If this was any other wr on any other team it would even be a question to cut bait. I think we are just letting amendolas upside in the pats offense "if" he can stay healthy cloud out vision.

I am cutting him for Reuben randle or Stephen hill, 2 guys that actually play every Sunday.

Rotoworld:

Danny Amendola (concussion) did not practice Wednesday.
This confirms Amendola indeed suffered a concussion in last Sunday's win over the Saints. The Patriots had previously been silent on the situation. They didn't reveal anything else Wednesday, unsurprisingly. It'd be a major surprise if Amendola played against the Jets. Julian Edelman, Kenbrell Thompkins, and Aaron Dobson will be Tom Brady's top three receivers this week.

Source: Mike Reiss on Twitter

I read a post on here yesterday which this reminds me of - something to the effect of, "Contrarian thinking is healthy/helpful but sometimes a player/situation is what it appears to be".

Yep and he is very injury prone.... Seems like he is made of glass and everyone has Hammers and Sledgehammers in their hands.

"Official Danny Amendola Injury Thread" - This just makes me laugh...

We all know he'll be hurt at some point & it is going to be such a headache dealing with BB's injury report for Amendola owners.
:lol:

I just love seeing this thread near the top and then coming back to bump my original post...

Amendola is made of cardboard... I would guess most people who drafted good ol' GlassDola have learned their lessons.

He was ">this<* close vs the Saints to busting the long one, but Brady overthrew him. That was a glimpse of what could have been.

Then not long after he was out for the count.

Anyone tried to trade him?

He was ">this<* close vs the Saints to busting the long one, but Brady overthrew him. That was a glimpse of what could have been.

I have. Nobody will trade for him in my league. With no estimated return date, it's simply not worth it. I might be able to get a D/ST at this point. He's worth more on your roster than you'll likely be able to get back.

I have. Nobody will trade for him in my league. With no estimated return date, it's simply not worth it. I might be able to get a D/ST at this point. He's worth more on your roster than you'll likely be able to get back.
Unless you find a NE homer who thinks he'll be back sooner rather than later

Gave: TRich, Amendola, Hartline, 2014 8th

Got: Woodhead, TSmith, 2014 4th

PPR Redraft with a NE homer who believes in TRich still? :clyde: :clap:

Amendola for James Jones was declined.

"Dude why would I want the most injury prone receiver in the league?" was the reply I got

Amendola for James Jones was declined.

"Dude why would I want the most injury prone receiver in the league?" was the reply I got
Haha, I offered him to another NE fan a few days before in a trade for James Jones as well, but he didn't want "the man of glass"

Danny Amendola (concussion) is practicing Wednesday.
It confirms Amendola has at least been cleared for exercise following his scary Week 6 concussion and puts him on track to play in Sunday's game against the Dolphins. He just has to get through the week without symptoms and get the final go-ahead from an independent neurologist. Amendola's struggles with injury have been well-documented, but he has the ability and situation to step right back in as a WR2. Despite playing just 147 snaps all season, he has 16 catches for 159 yards.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4991/danny-amendola

Does he have a chance of playing this week? Be interesting to see what he can do with gronk on the field (before he gets hurt... Amendola that is)

Bill Belichick doesn’t have the most exciting press conferences but that’s not to say fans can’t enjoy them — even at the media’s expense. On Wednesday, Belichick was asked about wide receiver Danny Amendola, who is dealing with a concussion.

In typical Belichick fashion, the head coach offered up some simple yet smirk-inducing responses as seen in the conversation with the media below, via Patriots media relations.

Q: Is Danny Amendola subject to the concussion protocol?

Bill Belichick: Every player has to go through medical clearance.

Q: But specifically concussion protocol, does he still have to go through that?

Bill Belichick: Yeah, sure, every player has to go through whatever the medical procedures are.

Q: So he hasn’t been cleared to practice yet?

Bill Belichick: I didn’t say that. I said every player has to go through the medical procedures.

Q: So has he been cleared to practice?

Bill Belichick: We’ll give our practice report after practice like we always do.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/10/bill-belichick-gets-belichickian-regarding-danny-amendolas-concussion-medical-procedures/

I lost in the championship game last year because I started him over Greg Jennings and Denario Alexander. He didn't get hurt, he was just totally overpowered and shut down ... got me like .6 or something rediculous like that. Never again. On my DND list. If the owner waived him, that would be awesome because someone would spend the money to grab him. Not me. Never again.

Users who are viewing this thread