What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Washington Redskins 2013 Thread (1 Viewer)

I didn't watch any postgame stuff yesterday. Were they talking about his mechanics? It was definitely a discussion against the Eagles and it was obvious, even to our untrained eyes, that he was all over the place. My untrained eyes also saw an improvement yesterday. Maybe not, though?
Griffin definitely threw the ball with more zip and improved accuracy. From my perspective, Griffin's play yesterday wasn't really the problem to the extent that I thought he generally made the right read and put the ball where it was supposed to go.

The question is whether the offense they are choosing/being forced to run with Robert can really succeed. I'm not sure it would have mattered considering that the defense literally couldn't do anything, but I just don't understand the scheme the offense is running. They're not running the read option, which is fine, I suppose, but they're still sitting in the Pistol. Which gives Robert a crappy pocket if nobody is fully respecting the keeper option. And because of that, it's kind of painfully obvious in third down situations that Robert is going to have to throw short to intermediate routes (which are being covered until the game is out of hand and the defense stops worrying about them).
:goodposting:

RGIII without his legs will soon be known as "Cornball Griffin"

Watching Griffin play the last two weeks he does not seem 100%, or at least is not sure of himself to run.

Watching Griffin play the last two weeks he does not seem 100%, or at least is not sure of himself to run.
I'm not sure if he's unsure/hesitant or if he's being told not to run. I hope it's just that he's hesitant and that he'll get that confidence back. I really hope it's not a large change in the design of the offense.

dgreen said:
Da Guru said:

I'm not sure if he's unsure/hesitant or if he's being told not to run. I hope it's just that he's hesitant and that he'll get that confidence back. I really hope it's not a large change in the design of the offense.
I have watched both games and there have been many times that last year Griffin would have been off for 10-15 yard gains..this year he is just not doing it. You are probably correct in that he has been told to cut back on his scrambles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought RG3 played much better. Still not all the way back, but definitely an improvement over last week.

Right now though, it doesn't matter who the QB is because the defense can't stop anyone. That was just embarassing. The Packers did whatever they wanted on offense and our D could do nothing about it. James Starks looked like AP out there yesterday. What happened to that defense that looked so good down the stretch last season?

On offense, I think Kyle needs to stop being so conservative. I think he's worried about getting RG3 hurt. He just needs to call the games like he did last season. No RG3 isn't 100%, but he's damn close and looks like he is more than capable of leading the offense. Do more bootlegs, more zone-reads, etc. We gotta do something different next week.

The only good thing is the rest of the division lost, so 0-2 doesn't look as bad when Philly and Dallas are both 1-1. Get a win this week and things will start looking up a bit.

Heard Chris Cooley on the radio yesterday. He is generally very kind to all the Redskins since he was on the team last year. Cooley said the scheme on kick returns make no sense at all and the blocking is horrible. No one is sustaining their blocks. Chris Thompson does not stand a chance returning kicks. Asked if Niles Paul would be better at returning kickoffs, Cooley said it really did not matter since the blocking and scheme are so poor.

Maybe we really will miss Danny Smith.

The good news for you is:

2) the entire division is mired in crapiness so far, so if he and the offense work themselves into a rhythm there's still plenty of time.
Currently, this seems to be the one silver lining. Despite how awful the first 2 games were, the 'Skins are only 1 game out of the division lead. Without improvement on both sides of the ball, and quickly, that will change fast.

From Keim's "Ten Observations":

They did get to Rodgers in the first quarter with three sacks, helped on one by the coverage. And then? The Packers went to more three-step drops. Rodgers even told me himself they werent dropping back anymore. I was like, You gotta be kidding me, Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo said.
Oof. It's never a good sign when the opposing offense is so confident and sure of what it's doing that it doesn't mind telling you it's game plan.

I didn't watch any postgame stuff yesterday. Were they talking about his mechanics? It was definitely a discussion against the Eagles and it was obvious, even to our untrained eyes, that he was all over the place. My untrained eyes also saw an improvement yesterday. Maybe not, though?
Actually, I do think he is getting better. It's just going to take time.
More about Griffin's mechanics from Keim:

Griffin’s mechanics weren’t great last season, so, after an offseason mostly spent rehabbing, they’re not going to be where he wants them to be just yet. Accept that part of his game and move on. What made Griffin good last year was his ability to overcome mechanics issues by using his legs, or by making a flick pass in the pocket -- the kind that not every quarterback can make. Without certain parts of his game working (legs), his passing is getting dissected more.

Griffin’s mechanics weren’t great last season, so, after an offseason mostly spent rehabbing, they’re not going to be where he wants them to be just yet. Accept that part of his game and move on. What made Griffin good last year was his ability to overcome mechanics issues by using his legs, or by making a flick pass in the pocket -- the kind that not every quarterback can make. Without certain parts of his game working (legs), his passing is getting dissected more.
one could argue that the legs are not going to last real long, so being forced to work on better mechanics now may prolong his career, which is good for him and the team

Marvelous said:
Heard Chris Cooley on the radio yesterday. He is generally very kind to all the Redskins since he was on the team last year. Cooley said the scheme on kick returns make no sense at all and the blocking is horrible. No one is sustaining their blocks. Chris Thompson does not stand a chance returning kicks. Asked if Niles Paul would be better at returning kickoffs, Cooley said it really did not matter since the blocking and scheme are so poor.

Maybe we really will miss Danny Smith.
Steelers fans are screaming for his head already, if that means anything to you.

one could argue that the legs are not going to last real long, so being forced to work on better mechanics now may prolong his career, which is good for him and the team
Depends on what you mean by "real long". Honestly, I think he's looked like he's moving ok and I assume he'll heal back to near 100%. Assuming health (which I really don't think he's a special case and needs to be under some special health microscope), I see no reason why his legs can't be part of his game for another 10 years. Everyone thought Vick's legs would be done by now and he continues to move just fine; not as good as he used to, but good enough to still be a weapon.

Depends on what you mean by "real long". Honestly, I think he's looked like he's moving ok and I assume he'll heal back to near 100%. Assuming health (which I really don't think he's a special case and needs to be under some special health microscope), I see no reason why his legs can't be part of his game for another 10 years. Everyone thought Vick's legs would be done by now and he continues to move just fine; not as good as he used to, but good enough to still be a weapon.
vick had a pretty long break in there, and has started 16 games in a season exactly once

while he has looked good so far he has been banged up and his yards per rush is way down, and we don;t know if he'll last all of this season

his legs will slow down before his arm gives out.

RG3 has some knee issues

Wow, now after seeing the following two games of the Iggles...our first game becomes worse and worse. The Philly offense is not prolific unless playing us, their defense is weak unless it's matched up against our offense. That game was to be desired before, but the more I see, the more I'm worried. Especially about Haz and his ability to get this D to perform.

The offense will come around, but I don't think there's a way to fix this secondary this season.

That first game (really the first half) was a small sample size for Philly and for Washington. Things change.

Wow, now after seeing the following two games of the Iggles...our first game becomes worse and worse. The Philly offense is not prolific unless playing us, their defense is weak unless it's matched up against our offense. That game was to be desired before, but the more I see, the more I'm worried. Especially about Haz and his ability to get this D to perform.
The problem with that game was we didn't help ourselves. Our first 3 possesions were fumble, safety, INT. We beat ourselves more in that game than the Eagles out playing us. We missed so many tackles and the offense had 3 turnovers and a safety and we still only lost by 6.

I agree with dgreen though, the offense will get back on track. The defense is a whole other issue. We have a good pass rush as I saw we're 3rd in sacks. But our secondary is so bad that it doesn't matter.

The problem with that game was we didn't help ourselves. Our first 3 possesions were fumble, safety, INT. We beat ourselves more in that game than the Eagles out playing us. We missed so many tackles and the offense had 3 turnovers and a safety and we still only lost by 6.

I agree with dgreen though, the offense will get back on track. The defense is a whole other issue. We have a good pass rush as I saw we're 3rd in sacks. But our secondary is so bad that it doesn't matter.
But our defense was awful early last season as well. They seemed to get it somewhat on track. Im not losing faith just yet. I think they will get this team competitive. Not deep in the post season competitive. But with our division, i think they give us a shot at the division. :shrug:

i hope.

The secondary will definitely take time. The best case scenario is that they gel/grow before the team gets mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. But when you're essentially starting 2 rookies in the secondary, plus having to play either backups (Doughty) or guys out of position (Biggers) at a safety spot, it should be expected that it will take a little while for everyone to get on the same page.

D coordinators are going to pick on Amerson and Rambo. It's hard to watch, but they're learning lessons that can generally only be learned in a full speed game, as opposed to a controlled practice environment. And communication will remain an issue as long as guys are being shuffled around and/or inexperienced.

The tackling has to improve, from all positions, as well. That may be the most infuriating shortfall, for me at least.

Don't get me wrong guys...not saying all is lost. Of course, we dug a BIG hole in the first game. As I alluded to in my post, seeing how the Iggles O & D are a shell of themselves compared to the first game made me realize how far off the mark our team is right now. We all know there are struggles, but it is interesting that Haz's D was way under performing for first part last season and now they look like a clone of that again. Can it be fixed? Sure, somethings can be tweaked to where we are not the worst D in the league and can give us a competitive chance. I guess the realization that the hole is far deeper than what was thought is what I find a bit scarier.

For me, no doubt the offense will turn it around before the defense though.

The tackling has to improve, from all positions, as well. That may be the most infuriating shortfall, for me at least.
Put me on this list...we seem to be trying to lead the lead in missed tackles and when we are not doing that penalties. The two biggest annoying factors for me so far.

I think the missed tackles is one of the big reasons our defense has looked so bad. Just fixing that should help out big time.

I know we've only seen two games this year, but putting fantasy aside...I have seriously wondered what the front office/coaching staff saw in Josh Morgan to think he's worth the money they spent on him. I kept holding out hope that he'd prove my thoughts wrong at some point, but I have not seen a glimpse of what makes any team think he is more than a #3 WR on any NFL team at best. Yes, he has heart and plays hard, but those are not the qualities that are going to make him a true starting WR worthy of targets & catches.

FYI - Reggie Bush was a full participant in practice Friday, so it looks like he will be playing this Sunday against us.

If our secondary could every become average to strong again, we would be a completely different team. The pass rush is there, we are lucky to have such talented young DEs. You could say the same of our WRs too though. Morgan, Hankerson, these guys aren't legit NFL WRs. WAY too many games where you get little to no production. tons of drops.

The defense isn't the issue. In today's NFL you don't necessarily need a stout Zd. You need a D that does t break but bends, and you need to create turnovers.

Until Griffin can run the 1940's offense which calls for him to actually run, they aren't going to win a game.

If they continue to trot out a drop back passing attack they need to start Cousins or look into drafting an actually quarterback suited for drop back passing.

Unless one of these thing changes the defense is left put to dry with all the 3 & outs.

The defense isn't the issue. In today's NFL you don't necessarily need a stout Zd. You need a D that does t break but bends, and you need to create turnovers.

Until Griffin can run the 1940's offense which calls for him to actually run, they aren't going to win a game.

If they continue to trot out a drop back passing attack they need to start Cousins or look into drafting an actually quarterback suited for drop back passing.

Unless one of these thing changes the defense is left put to dry with all the 3 & outs.
True the offense needs to pick it up and try keep the opposing team of their desired game plan. Although a fully mobile RGIII brings a whole other dynamic to the game to keep the defense honest and guessing, the 'Skins D was a prototypical bend don't brake type last year. It wasn't until our defense starting shoring up the pass defense that things began to really click for the second half streak of wins. Cousins is not the answer regardless if we play drop back, RGIII getting reps and planting his feet are the real answer. No preseason shows to go along with coming back from serious injury (hesitancy or nervousness). Even as a drop back passer, if he can't hit his targets better...we are one dimensional and other D's know it.

If our secondary could every become average to strong again, we would be a completely different team. The pass rush is there, we are lucky to have such talented young DEs. You could say the same of our WRs too though. Morgan, Hankerson, these guys aren't legit NFL WRs. WAY too many games where you get little to no production. tons of drops.
Normally a good to great pass rush will make an ordinary secondary look great. If our pass rush is there and consistent, then we have even more problems. I think our pass rush can be dominate at times, just not consistent enough to cover up any secondary issues.

3) The Redskins' secondary struggled again this week. Rookie David Amerson was beat several times, and there were too many blown coverages that gave the Lions chunks of yardage. The Redskins defense has allowed 1,464 yards through its first three games, most in NFL history, according to Elias Sports.

Like I said earlier, historically bad.

3) The Redskins' secondary struggled again this week. Rookie David Amerson was beat several times, and there were too many blown coverages that gave the Lions chunks of yardage. The Redskins defense has allowed 1,464 yards through its first three games, most in NFL history, according to Elias Sports.

Surprising you mentioned Amerson, bcuz he played his best game yet. How about Wilson covering Megatron in the slot...what was that about? For some reason Haz insists on playing with one safety and bunch of corners are none of our other safeties better than a CB playing S? Amerson was not the problem today.

Amerson's length is very beneficial. The other really bad play I thought he made was when he got beat by that WR that I had no idea who it was late in the 4th. That one hurt.

Despite the horrible turnovers, I thought RG3 looked better today. Much more accurate. The deep reversed TD was a perfect pass. Had at least one deep completion called back from holding. Showed some willingness to run on designed and non-designed plays. Needs to learn how to slide! Also need to learn when to just give up on a play and throw it out of bounds. He still looks a bit uneasy with people around his legs in the pocket and he's bailing out to the right too much instead of stepping up into the pocket. I also think they went away from Alf way too early.

RGIII HTTR said:

Surprising you mentioned Amerson, bcuz he played his best game yet. How about Wilson covering Megatron in the slot...what was that about? For some reason Haz insists on playing with one safety and bunch of corners are none of our other safeties better than a CB playing S? Amerson was not the problem today.
I've never understood why teams allow their defense to get into a mismatch just because the opposition puts their best WR in the slot. For some reason, that slides the CB out wide on a RB and then leaves a S on the WR in the slot. And, yeah, I think they were playing Wilson like a S quite a bit yesterday. Against running teams, I think we'll see Doughty in the box.

Despite the horrible turnovers, I thought RG3 looked better today. Much more accurate. The deep reversed TD was a perfect pass. Had at least one deep completion called back from holding. Showed some willingness to run on designed and non-designed plays. Needs to learn how to slide! Also need to learn when to just give up on a play and throw it out of bounds. He still looks a bit uneasy with people around his legs in the pocket and he's bailing out to the right too much instead of stepping up into the pocket. I also think they went away from Alf way too early.
He also had a deeper ball to Garcon where Griffin seemed to think Garcon would stop but he turned it into a post and kept going. Could have been a TD had Griffin and Garcon been on the same page.

Yes, way too much rolling right. Notice on the last play they had Griffin turn right and back to the left for a roll out. 3 of the 4 DL were all to the right giving Griffin time to get off the hail mary. Not that it mattered, but I didn't like throwing it back across the field to the single receiver. They were so far away that it took the ball forever to get there, allowing Detroit to end up with a 4-1 advantage.

How many penalties do the Skins have the season? And how many have their opponents had called on them when facing the Skins? It seems to me that the Skins keep getting called for everything under the sun and our opponents get away with rape. I was in the nosebleeds yesterday and I think I could've made some better calls.

That said, we'd have lost all of our games anyways even if the calls had been more in our favor.

How many penalties do the Skins have the season? And how many have their opponents had called on them when facing the Skins? It seems to me that the Skins keep getting called for everything under the sun and our opponents get away with rape. I was in the nosebleeds yesterday and I think I could've made some better calls.

That said, we'd have lost all of our games anyways even if the calls had been more in our favor.
23 against Washington and 20 against their opponents.

23 against Washington and 20 against their opponents.
It's been the timing, not the number of penalties or yard penalized. Third down defensive stops turned into first downs, big plays turned into losses, etc. A lot of rough breaks. The line of scrimmage defensive holding call yesterday on a third down comes to mind- I can't remember the last time I saw that call.

Turnover differential has been a big change from last year too, although frankly it's more that they got lucky last year than unlucky this year.

Yes, the timing has been really bad. I thought Hulk was hinting at bad calls not going our way so far and I'm not sure that's the case. I can't speak to the legitimacy of the defensive holding call yesterday, but I thought the rest of the calls were accurate. There were some pretty clueless fans around me yesterday who didn't understand why Griffin's fumble was a fumble and Robinson's TD was overturned. Oh, and a bunch of people were screaming for a horsecollar on Griffin's INT. All three were called correctly, though.

I'm not sure what Haslett can do about the D this year. Last year, their early season woes were because they were consistently being beat deep. So, at about this point of the season, Haslett switched more to a bend-don't-break philosophy and it helped. But, that's not their problem right now. I'm not sure how he can scheme them to tackle better and I'm not sure what the cause is of wide open receivers (other than just lack of talent). The receivers aren't catching balls behind all the defenders; they are catching them wide open on medium routes and piling up the YAC.

The poor tackling is a big concern. I can understand during Week 1 since hitting isn't big in training camp anymore. But after 2 more weeks, the tackling hasn't improved. If somehow we lose to Oakland, does Haslett make it through the bye?

I've said it before, I think the Redskins are leading the league in missed tackles and penalties. This is on top of the incredible amount of yardage we've given up.

They seem to really get gashed in the middle of the field and up the seams/hash marks. Is that a product of the LB drops and shaky safety play? Perry Riley seems to be all over the place, but I've noticed more than once passes being completed in his area where it seems he could have been in the wrong spot (see Megatron last TD). Or I could just be reaching for something to blame.

The tackling is pathetic though. They made Joique Bell look like Earl Campbell at times. I also thought D Hall played a relatively good game all things considered. He was playing pretty physical with Megatron and had some nice plays

The timing on the penalties, especially on offense have been brutal. Of course we think it's more than it really is but they seem to shoot themselves in the foot quite a bit with holding calls on good plays.

I'm not sure why everybody is shocked. Last year was the anomaly. You had a fast footed rookie who could beat you with his legs which opened up the passing game.

The defense was horrific last year but played with great passion during the win streak. Coincidentally, this was when RGIII was able to put pressure on opposing defenses by being super efficient and scoring.

Now he's almost convinced himself he's Peyton Manning back there and that why his #### got pushed in these three weeks.

He looked better physically against Detroit but unless he runs, he's nothing but an undersized stiff with pencil thin legs and throws the reverse of the McNabb dirt ball, the overthrow.

I'm not sure why everybody is shocked. Last year was the anomaly. You had a fast footed rookie who could beat you with his legs which opened up the passing game.

The defense was horrific last year but played with great passion during the win streak. Coincidentally, this was when RGIII was able to put pressure on opposing defenses by being super efficient and scoring.

Now he's almost convinced himself he's Peyton Manning back there and that why his #### got pushed in these three weeks.

He looked better physically against Detroit but unless he runs, he's nothing but an undersized stiff with pencil thin legs and throws the reverse of the McNabb dirt ball, the overthrow.
Did Rg3 touch your mom in her nono spot or something? I'm sorry but you are speaking out of pure hatred towards Rg3.

weebs said:
STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Did Rg3 touch your mom in her nono spot or something? I'm sorry but you are speaking out of pure hatred towards Rg3.
He's a cowboy fan and he's proven multiple time that this slants his view, so everything he says is taken with more than a pinch of salt.

weebs said:
STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

He's a cowboy fan and he's proven multiple time that this slants his view, so everything he says is taken with more than a pinch of salt.
he doesn't speak for all cowboys fans

i think RG3 is money

i think some early season bumps were to be expected, all things considered

weebs said:
STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

I deny none of this!

To be fair I said all this prior to the skins drafting him. My stance on RGIII was the same with Vick, Vince Young, Daunte Fumblepepper, McNabb, Coopernicus, Garrard, and anybody else who is a better runner then passer.

Users who are viewing this thread