What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trent Richardson Thread (6 Viewers)

TR hasn't done anything wrong today...not sure why he's been removed from the gameplan.
you guys hate all you want, but trent ran hard last night on what limited carries he got. he is being misused. he isn't the kind of back that can go off with 6-10 carries a game. he doesn't have that kind of explosiveness. he needs to wear people down and in the 3rd and 4th quarter those longer runs would be there.
I think T-Rich was running hard too. The simple fact that he is taken out when he is running hard and wearing down the defense tells me that the play calling is lacking.

But T-Rich can wear down a defense and should thrive when they spread out the defense and run a fast paced offense.
I know we all have our players and it's good that T-Rich supporters are hanging in there til the end.

But I'm sorry the way you guys defend him is pure comedy. "He's hasn't done anything wrong." "He needs to wear people down." Here's a hint: If your best defense of a former top 5 draft pick is "he hasn't done anything wrong" (which sounds like an excuse my 6 year old would make) or when you're relying on coaches to keep a guy in the game to "wear down" defenses when they are down 3 scores and he has a CAREER 3.3 YPC avg then it's really not looking good for you.

The good thing is that the Colts play on MNF so it's another prime time game for Trent to showcase his stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just saying, with the way he was removed from the gameplan, you'd think he was playing like ####. I thought otherwise.

To be honest, if this dude can somehow blow up (by TR standards) I would trade him in a heartbeat because I do not own Bradshaw.

Prediction for this week vs the eagles:

34 rush yards (around 2.5 ypc)

20 rec yards

1 fumble

And at least 3 people will come in this thread and post how great he looks and won't understand why he doesn't get more carries...

6 carries for 20 yards (with 1 carry being shotgun with multiple defenders breaking through the line immediately) and 3 receptions for 31 yards isn't terrible nor is it great.

Need to see a bigger load to find out for sure if any progress has been made. If he gets 18 carries for 40 yards, we'll know it's probably hopeless.

Let's be rational here.

6 carries for 20 yards (with 1 carry being shotgun with multiple defenders breaking through the line immediately) and 3 receptions for 31 yards isn't terrible nor is it great.

Need to see a bigger load to find out for sure if any progress has been made. If he gets 18 carries for 40 yards, we'll know it's probably hopeless.

Let's be rational here.
I can wait 3 more games

I now come to this thread to get my daily laughs, not to comment on the player.

How funny would it be if he somehow went for 100+ yards against the Eagles D?

Many in here just point at the stats, say he sucks, and join the circlejerk... sad that there's so many threads like this in the Pool currently.

Trying not to add to that, here's what I thought/think...

I thought Richardson looked fine last night. The game plan just went out the window as soon as they got so far behind. He had 20 yards total rushing with 20 yards after contact and 31 yards total receiving with 34 yards after contact. More yards after contact than actual yards gained for the mathematically challenged among us. I'm not ready to put a fork in him until we see the RB's get more than 9 carries the entire game. Bradshaw getting the majority of the passing down work was frustrating, but it's clear he's got more experience in the pass blocking department... with the O-Line still a glaring weakness for the Colts, he's probably going to keep that role while he's healthy. Both the run and pass blocking was terrible last night. Luck had very little time to get rid of the ball on most plays and somehow still staged that late comeback push. If the line can somehow get some cohesiveness going, and stay healthy, it would help out TRich and the entire Colts offense out immensely. I'm not holding my breath though.
I feel the same way. The colts gamescript got thrown out the window last night.

Wasn't this guys a bonnified stud his rookie year?
No, he wasn't. He was a good FF RB based on volume. In NFL terms, he was below average.
he looked a ton better as a rookie. i suffered through too many browns games. he looked like a completely different rb after his rookie year. my guess is that his knee is shot or theres another injury or he improperly trained and lost his burst.

He hasnt gotten 100 yards in a game in three years...prob have to wait until he starts playing in the cfl

I don't think he will, but I would love to see it. I think he is terrible, something about continuing to see 20-30 yard rushing games being justified as a "good" game, but I would love to see him get 100. He is likely not being started, but it would be like 2013 all over again with owners in here chasing 2012 and losing week after week. Same thing here, only people with no other option are starting him, so if he flashes, he will bring down people week after week chasing that one good game.

The entire Colts game plan is terrible (and I say that as a Colts fan)

We want to establish the run with TRich (who I thought looked ok early against Denver) but we don't have the D to allow any back to get the 15-20 touches that TRich needs, so he disappears from the game plan as soon as we fall 14-0 behind, which we will consistently do.

Then we ask Luck to throw 50 passes to try and get us back into games, which inevitably leads to INTs and broken plays because he's constantly under pressure to make something happen. Even his 40yd TD to Allen was nearly an INT, and if it wasn't 3rd & 2 with 8 minutes left in a game where we were down 21 he probably would have thrown it away.

I actually believe that TRich could be a good (not great, but not terrible) back in this league, but I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole in the current situation.

The entire Colts game plan is terrible (and I say that as a Colts fan)

We want to establish the run with TRich (who I thought looked ok early against Denver) but we don't have the D to allow any back to get the 15-20 touches that TRich needs, so he disappears from the game plan as soon as we fall 14-0 behind, which we will consistently do.

Then we ask Luck to throw 50 passes to try and get us back into games, which inevitably leads to INTs and broken plays because he's constantly under pressure to make something happen. Even his 40yd TD to Allen was nearly an INT, and if it wasn't 3rd & 2 with 8 minutes left in a game where we were down 21 he probably would have thrown it away.

I actually believe that TRich could be a good (not great, but not terrible) back in this league, but I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole in the current situation.
This guy watches the games

Disagree on trich though. Guy is a monster turd

For everyone railing on the Colts' coaching and play calling, how do you explain 11 - 5 last year and a playoff win? With a young and injury-riddled team. The offense finished in the top half on the NFL in both scoring and yardage, despite losing Wayne, Allen, Ballard, Bradshaw, etc. Obviously Luck deserves a ton of credit, but I'd be hard pressed to give the coaching staff anything less than a solid B for last year. I'd guess that they do, in fact, know what they're doing, and that Richardson's usage is a product of him just sucking, as opposed to any incompetence on the part of the coaching staff. Giving Richardson 20 carries for 58 yards every week would be a great way to win far fewer than 11 games in 2014 and get everyone fired. Why would they want to do that?

For everyone railing on the Colts' coaching and play calling, how do you explain 11 - 5 last year and a playoff win? With a young and injury-riddled team. The offense finished in the top half on the NFL in both scoring and yardage, despite losing Wayne, Allen, Ballard, Bradshaw, etc. Obviously Luck deserves a ton of credit, but I'd be hard pressed to give the coaching staff anything less than a solid B for last year. I'd guess that they do, in fact, know what they're doing, and that Richardson's usage is a product of him just sucking, as opposed to any incompetence on the part of the coaching staff. Giving Richardson 20 carries for 58 yards every week would be a great way to win far fewer than 11 games in 2014 and get everyone fired. Why would they want to do that?
My issues with the coaching staff aren't just about TRich. It's the commitment to a power running game when our o-line sucks. It's the fact that Coby Fleener continues to be consistently involved in the game plan at the expense of players who have shown themselves to be far more effective. It's the desire to play like Seattle when we have a D that more closely resembles Dallas and have an elite QB who we only decide to get involved when we're in a hole.

The reason we've won 11 games the last two seasons can be summed up in two words: Andrew. Luck. Which, to get a little off topic, is why I get so annoyed when people say he's overrated.

Watching what other OCs (Whiz, Jackson, Turner, Arians) do with their QBs makes me weep that we've got one of the best QBs of his generation in an offense run by Pep freaking Hamilton.

My issues with the coaching staff aren't just about TRich. It's the commitment to a power running game when our o-line sucks. It's the fact that Coby Fleener continues to be consistently involved in the game plan at the expense of players who have shown themselves to be far more effective. It's the desire to play like Seattle when we have a D that more closely resembles Dallas and have an elite QB who we only decide to get involved when we're in a hole.

The reason we've won 11 games the last two seasons can be summed up in two words: Andrew. Luck. Which, to get a little off topic, is why I get so annoyed when people say he's overrated.

Watching what other OCs (Whiz, Jackson, Turner, Arians) do with their QBs makes me weep that we've got one of the best QBs of his generation in an offense run by Pep freaking Hamilton.
Living in NW Indiana, I end up watching quite a bit of Colts' football, and IMO the whole "need to unleash Luck" stuff is over-reaction. Indy was 15th in pass attempts last year and 23rd in rushing attempts -- and given the lack of legitimate receiving weapons after all of the injuries and the need to keep a bad defense off of the field, I didn't think the play calling was particularly terrible. I certainly don't think that Hamilton is a brilliant offensive mind or anything, but nor is he completely incompetent. Either way, I'd say passing judgement based on his first year is way premature, particularly considering that he was working with a bunch of backups on offense for a pretty big chunk of last year.

What do you suggest they do? Would you rather they try to play like Dallas or Detroit instead of Seattle?

The bottom line is that the Colts just aren't a great team, and part of the reason they need to run the ball at least a little is to keep the defenders from constantly going after Luck and keep their defense off the field. I agree Luck is great, but he can't do it all.

They passed 4 times vs. 2 runs in the opening possession last week. Their next possession was 4 passing plays vs. 1 rush. They are in the upper half of pass/run ratio in the league. I don't think your perceptions are entirely accurate.

The Colts were 3rd in pass attempts and dead last in rushing attempts last week. Time to throw the idea of a power running game out the window.

The Colts were 3rd in pass attempts and dead last in rushing attempts last week. Time to throw the idea of a power running game out the window.
Am I correct in saying that T Rich has only been given more than 8 carries twice since he's joined the Colts? I was offered him straight up for Ingram, leaning very much no.

Am I correct in saying that T Rich has only been given more than 8 carries twice since he's joined the Colts? I was offered him straight up for Ingram, leaning very much no.
They gave him at least 10 a game when he first joined the team and before they figured out he wasn't good.

In the last 12 games he's had more than 8 carries twice - and averaged 3.4 and 2.7 YPC when he did.

He will start to do well now because in my Dynasty I traded him for Jeremy Hill. On that note Jeremy Hill will get injured on sunday.

They gave him at least 10 a game when he first joined the team and before they figured out he wasn't good.

In the last 12 games he's had more than 8 carries twice - and averaged 3.4 and 2.7 YPC when he did.
Sorry, I thought he was traded over the bye week last year, he was traded much earlier than I remember.

I am a Colts ticket holder. I watch all the games live or on TV. I have been on here defending TRich to a degree. The truth is he looks even slower than last year. I really thought it was more about hesitation last year because these players have to know they playbook so well that they don't have to think. There isn't time for that. They have to react immediately. I was giving TRich too much credit. He really did look slow Sunday Night. He looked slow in the preseason (when he played). The offensive line might be worse blocking for the run than last year, but it is hard to say after one week. Considering who they had to block, I thought the Colts O-line did a good job pass-blocking. Especially considering that the Broncos pass rush was able to come at Luck in the 2nd half with the Colts being in obvious pass mode so much.

Bradshaw looked better when running the ball. I think Bradshaw is an excellent RB, but he is definintely on the downside of his career. I honestly expect Dion Lewis to outperform Richardson. If you go back and read my posts from last fall and winter in this thread, this is a full 180 turnaround from what I was saying then. I have no problem with admitting I was totally wrong. Trading for TRich was obviously a HUGE mistake. Look at all the decent to good running backs that have been drafted in round 3 or later the last two drafts. I wouldn't touch the RB position until round 3 or later if I was an NFL GM. The value is not there. Trent is an excellent example of that.

cstu said:
Or not.

Josh Wilson ‏@Coltsfanwilson 3mBased on Pagano's comments today, get the idea that Colts will slow their offense down and try to control the clock. #Colts
:lmao:

Hopefully Chuck and Pep have their résumés updated.

All I know is that my favorite Bama RB of all time either got fat, stopped caring, has a twin brother who is standing in for him, or has been on drugs for 3 years. It's painful to watch. In fact, I think I'm done watching Trent anymore. It's simply hard for me to believe that the Trent I know is actually the guy that is out there flailing for Indy. Unbelievable.
The hardest thing to determine when a player comes into the NFL is how much they love football. Trent says all the right things but I'm not sure he really loves what he's doing. I have a difficult time believing that lack of talent is the reason he's failing in the NFL.
I agree with this 10000%. It's not ability - he has it in spades. Something seems to be amiss between the ears. Not sure if it's motivational, substance related, distractions, or what.

I'll reiterate what I posted a while back and I got mocked for it - I know a close relative of a starting o-lineman for the Colts. The o-line has had serious concerns about TRich since he got there. Runs with his head down. They were pretty bummed when Damnit Donald was released.

Bradshaw is dealing with "general soreness" so it looks like his body is starting to reject the mere idea of any legitimate workload already. I'm going to be taking a flier on Lewis soon.

I'll reiterate what I posted a while back and I got mocked for it - I know a close relative of a starting o-lineman for the Colts. The o-line has had serious concerns about TRich since he got there. Runs with his head down. They were pretty bummed when Damnit Donald was released.
I am one of the ones holding on hope, but this shows complete lack of vision. Even if he does have to come up for the hand-off (not a great hand-off from Luck), how can he miss the unblocked defender in the lane. TRich is only able to run the play that is called. If it works he can look good, using just physical talent. Indy needs someone more creative to run behind that line. They don't have anyone like that on their roster currently.

https://twitter.com/RyanSnyder47/status/510039148002934784/photo/1

So, this may be over simplistic, but you are saying:

- The coaching staff is good, because they went 11-5 last year.

- TRich just flat out sucks

If the coaching staff is good, then why did they continue to feed Richardson the ball if he sucks? Just doesn't seem like a logical conclusion to me. Even after they "benched" him for Brown, he still got more carries 3 of the last 4 weeks. If it is so obvious that Richardson is bad, it seems odd to think that good coaching staff would continue to use him.

DAMAC3 said:
I am a Colts ticket holder. I watch all the games live or on TV. I have been on here defending TRich to a degree. The truth is he looks even slower than last year. I really thought it was more about hesitation last year because these players have to know they playbook so well that they don't have to think. There isn't time for that. They have to react immediately. I was giving TRich too much credit. He really did look slow Sunday Night. He looked slow in the preseason (when he played). The offensive line might be worse blocking for the run than last year, but it is hard to say after one week. Considering who they had to block, I thought the Colts O-line did a good job pass-blocking. Especially considering that the Broncos pass rush was able to come at Luck in the 2nd half with the Colts being in obvious pass mode so much.

Bradshaw looked better when running the ball. I think Bradshaw is an excellent RB, but he is definintely on the downside of his career. I honestly expect Dion Lewis to outperform Richardson. If you go back and read my posts from last fall and winter in this thread, this is a full 180 turnaround from what I was saying then. I have no problem with admitting I was totally wrong. Trading for TRich was obviously a HUGE mistake. Look at all the decent to good running backs that have been drafted in round 3 or later the last two drafts. I wouldn't touch the RB position until round 3 or later if I was an NFL GM. The value is not there. Trent is an excellent example of that.
Quite an observation. - I was kind of hoping during the preseason that the Colts would give Richardson like 30 touches in a given game just to see what would happen.

Dion Lewis is on the watch list.

If the coaching staff is good, then why did they continue to feed Richardson the ball if he sucks? Just doesn't seem like a logical conclusion to me. Even after they "benched" him for Brown, he still got more carries 3 of the last 4 weeks. If it is so obvious that Richardson is bad, it seems odd to think that good coaching staff would continue to use him.
I'd say that the jury is still out on the Colts' coaching staff. All things considered, last year's performance looks like they did a pretty solid job to me as a neutral observer.

Obviously they weren't going to totally give up on Richardson after investing a 1st in him, plus the two guys they wanted to roll with both got hurt early in the year.

Considering the totality of your work in this thread, it's probably best if we just agree to disagree on Richardson; although I seriously can't understand how anyone could actually watch him and come to a different conclusion at this point, but YMMV.

I am one of the ones holding on hope, but this shows complete lack of vision. Even if he does have to come up for the hand-off (not a great hand-off from Luck), how can he miss the unblocked defender in the lane. TRich is only able to run the play that is called. If it works he can look good, using just physical talent. Indy needs someone more creative to run behind that line. They don't have anyone like that on their roster currently.

https://twitter.com/RyanSnyder47/status/510039148002934784/photo/1
Funny thing about that pic...#69 (Thornton) didn't go where the little arrow says he should be. The line of scrimmage was the 45, and he's already lost the edge and is 2 yards in the backfield before Richardson makes it around the corner.

You can also see #53 (Shipley) chipped on the DL and completely left the LB come straight up the middle.

"Luck was sacked three times and hit six more. A.Q. Shipley missed a couple blocks badly, both of which resulted in lost yardage but that isn’t surprising given that he’s been with the team for about a week.

Hugh Thornton was blown off the line a couple times early, but settled down and was about average all day."

http://naptownsfinest.com/2014/09/10/colts-broncos-offensive-grades/

I'd say that the jury is still out on the Colts' coaching staff. All things considered, last year's performance looks like they did a pretty solid job to me as a neutral observer.

Obviously they weren't going to totally give up on Richardson after investing a 1st in him, plus the two guys they wanted to roll with both got hurt early in the year.

Considering the totality of your work in this thread, it's probably best if we just agree to disagree on Richardson; although I seriously can't understand how anyone could actually watch him and come to a different conclusion at this point, but YMMV.
My position on Richardson has been wait and see. If you want to disagree on that, then so be it, but I think it is a bit premature to write him off after his 2nd season. I'm not saying he is/was/will be a stud, just that it's too soon to say he's a bust.

Last year, I thought he was good at pass protection, receiving, and short yardage. Those are 3 things that RBs that are good runners often struggle with and prevents them from being every-down backs. He definitely needs to improve on actually running the ball, but I would think that would be easier to do than having to learn how to pass protect.

He definitely needs to improve on actually running the ball, but I would think that would be easier to do than having to learn how to pass protect.
Ya think?

There are plenty of RBs that can pass protect, far less can run the ball effectively.

cstu said:
In fairness, DEN has forced a lot of teams to scrap their original game plans.

He definitely needs to improve on actually running the ball, but I would think that would be easier to do than having to learn how to pass protect.
Would you rather teach someone to pass block like (insert best blocking FB of all time here), or run the ball like Barry Sanders?

Good RBs just run. They get the ball, and go.

Users who are viewing this thread