What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trent Richardson Thread (3 Viewers)

cstu said:
The Colts were 3rd in pass attempts and dead last in rushing attempts last week. Time to throw the idea of a power running game out the window.
Am I correct in saying that T Rich has only been given more than 8 carries twice since he's joined the Colts? I was offered him straight up for Ingram, leaning very much no.
They gave him at least 10 a game when he first joined the team and before they figured out he wasn't good.

In the last 12 games he's had more than 8 carries twice - and averaged 3.4 and 2.7 YPC when he did.
Not true.

He had more than 8 carries is 5 of the last 12 games and 7 of 14 overall with the Colts.

He had double-digit carries his first 5 games, including the Denver game when Reggie got hurt. After he went down and DHB became the #2 WR, the entire offense looked like crap until the last 3 games when they finally benched him in favor of more reps for Rodgers, Whalen, and Brazil.

Last edited by a moderator:
For everyone railing on the Colts' coaching and play calling, how do you explain 11 - 5 last year and a playoff win? With a young and injury-riddled team. The offense finished in the top half on the NFL in both scoring and yardage, despite losing Wayne, Allen, Ballard, Bradshaw, etc. Obviously Luck deserves a ton of credit, but I'd be hard pressed to give the coaching staff anything less than a solid B for last year. I'd guess that they do, in fact, know what they're doing, and that Richardson's usage is a product of him just sucking, as opposed to any incompetence on the part of the coaching staff. Giving Richardson 20 carries for 58 yards every week would be a great way to win far fewer than 11 games in 2014 and get everyone fired. Why would they want to do that?
So, this may be over simplistic, but you are saying:

- The coaching staff is good, because they went 11-5 last year.

- TRich just flat out sucks

If the coaching staff is good, then why did they continue to feed Richardson the ball if he sucks? Just doesn't seem like a logical conclusion to me. Even after they "benched" him for Brown, he still got more carries 3 of the last 4 weeks. If it is so obvious that Richardson is bad, it seems odd to think that good coaching staff would continue to use him.
I'd say that the jury is still out on the Colts' coaching staff. All things considered, last year's performance looks like they did a pretty solid job to me as a neutral observer.Obviously they weren't going to totally give up on Richardson after investing a 1st in him, plus the two guys they wanted to roll with both got hurt early in the year.

Considering the totality of your work in this thread, it's probably best if we just agree to disagree on Richardson; although I seriously can't understand how anyone could actually watch him and come to a different conclusion at this point, but YMMV.
My position on Richardson has been wait and see. If you want to disagree on that, then so be it, but I think it is a bit premature to write him off after his 2nd season. I'm not saying he is/was/will be a stud, just that it's too soon to say he's a bust.

Last year, I thought he was good at pass protection, receiving, and short yardage. Those are 3 things that RBs that are good runners often struggle with and prevents them from being every-down backs. He definitely needs to improve on actually running the ball, but I would think that would be easier to do than having to learn how to pass protect.
Maybe they should convert him to te

He definitely needs to improve on actually running the ball, but I would think that would be easier to do than having to learn how to pass protect.
Would you rather teach someone to pass block like (insert best blocking FB of all time here), or run the ball like Barry Sanders?

Good RBs just run. They get the ball, and go.
He doesn't have to run like a HOF RB to be good and have fantasy value.

(and Barry Sanders might be a poor choice for a RB that would just "get the ball, and go" since he probably spent more time running laterally and backwards than he did going forward)

I just read that, according to PFF, Richardson had 20 yards after contact. That would be out of 51 total rushing + receiving.

I don't have PFF subscription. Can someone verify?

Really only a win/win for TRich owners (like me, sadly) at this point. Either he blows again and I can cut him, or he explodes on MNF and I can trade him to some sap and rid myself of this fool.

My position on Richardson has been wait and see. If you want to disagree on that, then so be it, but I think it is a bit premature to write him off after his 2nd season. I'm not saying he is/was/will be a stud, just that it's too soon to say he's a bust.

Last year, I thought he was good at pass protection, receiving, and short yardage. Those are 3 things that RBs that are good runners often struggle with and prevents them from being every-down backs. He definitely needs to improve on actually running the ball, but I would think that would be easier to do than having to learn how to pass protect.
The bolded sounds like a FB. Put 10 lbs. on him and he'd be a good one.

yeah, that's a good point, but doesn't a fb need to find the hole?

maybe good morning america?

Or maybe he needs to drop 20 lbs. to run faster...

Starting to sound like the Tebow thread.

thriftyrocker said:
cstu said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:
Jrodicus said:

Starting to sound like the Tebow thread.
Except that FB's usually are failed RB's.

It's amazing how bad this trade ended up for Indy. Especially if you consider the overall consensus immediately after the trade was that Indy fleeced the Browns. That the Browns were essentially giving up on 2013 and Indy now would have a huge boost to their running game that was lacking.

oops.

Even Richardson is tapping the breaks:

Trent Richardson - RB - Colts
Trent Richardson said he thinks it's "going to be a good, equal load" between he and Ahmad Bradshaw this season.
After Week 1, it's clear that the Colts prefer Bradshaw in the passing game and hurry-up offense. Faced with a 24-point first-half deficit, Bradshaw played 44 snaps to Richardson's 29. Bradshaw tallied 85 yards on eight touches, with Richardson managing 51 yards total. "Whether it's Ahmad out there or Trent out there, I feel good about both those guys," coach Chuck Pagano said. Richardson's stock is already declining, while Bradshaw's arrow is pointing up.
Related: Ahmad Bradshaw

Source: Indianapolis Star
Sep 12 - 9:14 AM

Really reminds me of Benson. The rb, not the butler.

I don't see the passion or the will to be great. Combine that with not seeing the monstrous holes that were the norm when he was becoming a star, and you've got a disaster.

It's amazing how bad this trade ended up for Indy. Especially if you consider the overall consensus immediately after the trade was that Indy fleeced the Browns. That the Browns were essentially giving up on 2013 and Indy now would have a huge boost to their running game that was lacking.

oops.
My memory says that was not the case.

oops.
There was never a consensus, but most talking heads thought Indy got the better end of the deal when the trade news broke. And the dial has slowly been moving toward Cleveland fleecing the Colts ever since.

oops.
There was never a consensus, but most talking heads thought Indy got the better end of the deal when the trade news broke. And the dial has slowly been moving toward Cleveland fleecing the Colts ever since.
Just read back through this thread -- the handful of people saying that it was a good move for Cleveland were getting absolutely blasted in here.

oops.
Just read back through this thread -- the handful of people saying that it was a good move for Cleveland were getting absolutely blasted in here.
Yeah, 95% of people were destroying the Browns for this move. Richardson was basically their franchise player at this time. "TYPICAL BROWNS MOVE / WORST RUN FRANCHISE IN FOOTBALL" / etc. was the overwhelming theme.

It will be interesting to see what happens tonight. If history holds true, I see the Colts' trying to go ball control early and keep the Eagles offense on the sidelines. I don't know how good the Eagles run-D is, but if ball control doesn't work, this game could turn into a shootout by halftime.

The Colts suck at running the ball. Their version of ball-control is Luck to Reggie Wayne and Dwayne Allen on short to intermediate routes. There will be some running the ball, obviously, but the Colts aren't going to control anything getting 2 or 3 yards a carry. The Colts have been a team that passes to set up the run for a LONG time now.

Pep Hamilton can say whatever he wants, but the Colts are not going to keep the Eagles offense off the field by running the ball 30 times tonight. TRich will probably get about 8 or 9 carries. The only way he scores you any fantasy points is if he gets a goalline TD carry or if he catches several balls out of the backfield.

I will be at the game tonight. Looking forward to it. I don't mean to be so negative. I want Trent to do well, but I just don't see it. I honestly don't think it is a crazy prediction that Dion Lewis leads the Colts RBs in fantasy points this season. Bradshaw will probably get hurt, and TRich probably won't get it done. I would love a Benson-like turnaround but can't count on it.

oops.
Yeah, 95% of people were destroying the Browns for this move. Richardson was basically their franchise player at this time. "TYPICAL BROWNS MOVE / WORST RUN FRANCHISE IN FOOTBALL" / etc. was the overwhelming theme.
In all fairness, it was a terrible move if Richardson was an NFL RB, which almost everyone believed at the time. Turns out the Browns knew better than anyone that he wasn't good.

so, if I was to run the ball 3 x 3 ypc would I then be controlling the ball or punting it?
My point exactly! The Colts success is determined by Luck and his weapons in the passing game. This is not breaking news. The running game has existed to keep defenses honest to some degree, but it has offered very little otherwise.

oops.
In all fairness, it was a terrible move if Richardson was an NFL RB, which almost everyone believed at the time. Turns out the Browns better than anyone that he wasn't good.
Outside of the handful of truly elite guys, RBs actually aren't typically worth 1st round picks. Even if Richardson had come in and just been solid, the Colts would have overpaid, considering that "solid" is available in the mid rounds and via cheap FA contracts every year. The fact that Richardson is epically bad just takes it from a bad trade to truly brutal.

In my one and only dynasty league I own him in, I traded him yesterday morning!!!!

Whoo whoooooo.

I may have paid a slight premium but the trade is

Sent:

T.Rich

Kelvin Benjamin (whom I drafted 7th overall)

2015 1st rounder

Received:

Eddie Lacy

Ruben Randle

2015 2nd rounder

Now....I needed a RB badly....I am super deep at WR.

Cobb

Marshall

A.Brown

Welker

J.Jones

Colston

Landry

So I am thrilled.....Lacy is off to a slwo start.....but I have far more confidence I will get far better production outta Lacy than T.Rich.

So I rolled the dice on another Bama back....LOL. T.Rich is a total and utter bust. No question in my mind about that now. Watched more than enough to see the obvious. He has gotten every opportunity to show something. And again tonight I expect more of the same from him.

Nothing.

Moreno, Green, and Davis owner here.

Really need TR to not suck anymore...he's practicaly my last man standing.
Your toast.......he sucks. He really does suck. And I was a backer for two years....he stinks.

The Colts suck at running the ball. Their version of ball-control is Luck to Reggie Wayne and Dwayne Allen on short to intermediate routes. There will be some running the ball, obviously, but the Colts aren't going to control anything getting 2 or 3 yards a carry. The Colts have been a team that passes to set up the run for a LONG time now.

Pep Hamilton can say whatever he wants, but the Colts are not going to keep the Eagles offense off the field by running the ball 30 times tonight. TRich will probably get about 8 or 9 carries. The only way he scores you any fantasy points is if he gets a goalline TD carry or if he catches several balls out of the backfield.

I will be at the game tonight. Looking forward to it. I don't mean to be so negative. I want Trent to do well, but I just don't see it. I honestly don't think it is a crazy prediction that Dion Lewis leads the Colts RBs in fantasy points this season. Bradshaw will probably get hurt, and TRich probably won't get it done. I would love a Benson-like turnaround but can't count on it.
They have?

They've passed a lot more than they've run, but imo, that's because they get in big holes, not because they are using the pass to set up the run.

Now, I would agree that they are much better when they do use the pass to set up the run, but that doesn't happen enough.

I don't know a good stat to look at to show if they "pass to set up the run" or if they "run to set up the pass," but if you think of one I can look it up.

I'll be at the game as well. :) It'd be nice if we ran the ball well (regardless of who is the RB), but I'll be happy with a win.

First run he stutter stepped for no good reason but when he went forward he hit the hole hard. Second run defenders stuffed the hole.

Richardson had a nice run there.

Next run, runs right into the pile and fumbles. Wayne recovers.

Users who are viewing this thread