What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post here when coaches do something you disagree with (2 Viewers)

His decision to kick that FG contradicts his decision to leave his starters in that late.  He basically gave up when he kicked the FG in the 3rd quarter.  Guy is not a bright coach.  Great cheerleader though.
I hate to agree with you but I've felt this way for a few years now.  I always get backlash from fellow Steelers fans because of his winning %.  I've always felt that they've won despite him rather than because of him.  They've had a top 5 QB for the past 15 years?  Hard not to win when Ben is the QB and he's typically surrounded by a lot of playmakers.  

Welcome to 2019! Let the Stupidity begin!

2:47 left, Cardinals are out of timeouts, 3rd and 5 near midfield, with the play clock ticking down and the game on the line, Stafford threw complete to J.D. McKissic for what would have been a big gain. The play was blown dead and several defensive players appeared to stop running. Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell has called a timeout.

:wall:

Stafford - 159th start - could be seen on the sideline screaming “trust me.” Patricia said in the postgame he ordered the timeout, but given that he’s on crutches, wasn’t near the OC and can’t move quickly down the sideline, I’m dubious.

Post timeout, pass incomplete, punt, Kyler becomes a hero.
I was at the game - there was shock in the stadium when it happened. Crazy call.

I’m from Detroit and live in AZ now. I gotta say the tie was kind of perfect for me - neither of my teams lost 🙂

Bears looked bad at the end of the game. Had 3 minutes and 4 timeouts to go 20 yards, and kept passing. No runs. Hurried themselves right out of the game. 
Yeah, it became a running joke in the game topic by some, but you’ve got to wonder when the stud rookie RB they talked up alllllll preseason comes in & goes 4 then 6 yards with his calling card broken tackles, then on the next play it’s back to C.Patterson in the backfield. 

Or on the same note, when it’s Patrerson lines up 8 yards deep on a 3rd and 1.

Or when you have Montgomery in for the next 3rd and 1 & go play action, despite calling 3x the passing to running ratio.  Insult to injury when Montgomery drags 3 defenders for 3 yards because they all bit on the PA and Trubisky gets tripped up for a loss of 1. :doh:  

but yeah,  overall that was one of the worst called games I can remember. They ran what, 11x to 45 passes in a game they dominated on defense & were never more than 1 score away? 

Just awful. That’s “Fire the coach” level incompetence. 

Atlanta Falcons coaches dont understand when to go for 2 point conversion.

Down 28-6 late in the game they chose to go for 2.  In a best case scenario they would score 3 touchdowns and add three 2pt conversions and score 24 points.  Atlanta would still NEED TO SCORE ANOTHER TOUCHDOWN because they are down 28-24.   Down 4, a field goal means nothing.  Either way, with or without the 2 point conversions they would need to score 4 TDs.

There was no benefit to going for 2 points down 28-6.  Take the extra point, get 7, and hope to repeat that 3 more times.

I just dont understand how coaches make this mistake when it should be an easy call from a pre-determined chart. 

Down 28-6 late in the game they chose to go for 2.  In a best case scenario they would score 3 touchdowns and add three 2pt conversions and score 24 points.  Atlanta would still NEED TO SCORE ANOTHER TOUCHDOWN because they are down 28-24.   Down 4, a field goal means nothing.  Either way, with or without the 2 point conversions they would need to score 4 TDs.

There was no benefit to going for 2 points down 28-6.  Take the extra point, get 7, and hope to repeat that 3 more times.

I just dont understand how coaches make this mistake when it should be an easy call from a pre-determined chart. 
I was thinking the same thing while watching the game.  Why go for 2??  Extra stupidity in my view because I started M.Bryant  :doh:

Going for 2 was the right call there, for the same reasons that folks gave for why to go for 2 in the old You're down by 14 with 7:00 minutes left in the game thread.

If you score 4 TDs and kick the XP every time, then you're playing for the tie & overtime. If you go for 2 and make it then you could win in regulation (assuming you get those 4 TDs), and if you miss you still have a chance to make up for that miss.

Going for 2 was the right call there, for the same reasons that folks gave for why to go for 2 in the old You're down by 14 with 7:00 minutes left in the game thread.

If you score 4 TDs and kick the XP every time, then you're playing for the tie & overtime. If you go for 2 and make it then you could win in regulation (assuming you get those 4 TDs), and if you miss you still have a chance to make up for that miss.
I disagree because down by 28 is different from down 14... you kick the 2 XP THEN go for 2 when you are down by 14

When did that become the rule?
Dunno - he called a TO to review the play in order to decide to challenge it, then when he lost the challenge he lost a 2nd TO. 

Thats how the ref explained it.if you lose a challenge you lose a TO. 

I thought that was always the rule.  :shrug:

What’s weird is that I thought it was a penalty to call 2 time-outs in a row without calling a play. So how’d he call a TO then throw the challenge flag back to back? 

Dunno - he called a TO to review the play in order to decide to challenge it, then when he lost the challenge he lost a 2nd TO. 

Thats how the ref explained it.if you lose a challenge you lose a TO. 

I thought that was always the rule.  :shrug:

What’s weird is that I thought it was a penalty to call 2 time-outs in a row without calling a play. So how’d he call a TO then throw the challenge flag back to back? 
Yeah I saw it, but I think that rule must be new.  

Steeler said:
ZWK said:

I disagree because down by 28 is different from down 14... you kick the 2 XP THEN go for 2 when you are down by 14
First of all, if you definitely need to go for 2 at some point then going for it earlier than you need to isn't going to hurt you. You might learn sooner that you're not going to be able to pull it off, but it won't reduce your chances of winning. So it's not a stupid move (let alone an obviously stupid one).

And second, going for 2 when down by 4 TDs actually helps you even more than going for 2 when down by 2 TDs. The advantage of going for 2 earlier is that it lets you change your decision about whether or not to go for 2 after other TDs depending on whether you succeed or fail, and you get more opportunities to do that. This thread probably isn't the right place to go into that in detail with all the numbers.

First of all, if you definitely need to go for 2 at some point then going for it earlier than you need to isn't going to hurt you. You might learn sooner that you're not going to be able to pull it off, but it won't reduce your chances of winning. So it's not a stupid move (let alone an obviously stupid one).

And second, going for 2 when down by 4 TDs actually helps you even more than going for 2 when down by 2 TDs. The advantage of going for 2 earlier is that it lets you change your decision about whether or not to go for 2 after other TDs depending on whether you succeed or fail, and you get more opportunities to do that. This thread probably isn't the right place to go into that in detail with all the numbers.
Ok, I'll buy that.

4th-and-9 from Oakland's 21-yard line.

Given the circumstances (field position + time + deficit) I think the math favors going for it.

I am anti-O'Brien so I may have some bias here....

37 seconds left and the Texans are kicking off with a 1 point lead. 

Do you:

Have your kicker kick it into the end zone and the Saints get the ball at the 25 with no time running off the clock?

or 

Have your kicker kick it to the five yard line ensuring a return and running some time off the clock?

Keep in mind that the two kickoffs that New Orleans returned in the game went 21 yards (goalline to 21 yard line) and 15 yards (2 yard line to 17 yard line).

I would like my coach to be aggressive here and try to give Drew Brees as little time as possible.

Bill O'Brien: Fails to call timeout on the Jags 39 with about 40 seconds left in the first half and 3 timeouts and a first down. Texans don't snap the ball until 22 seconds are left, run the ball 4 yards and call timeout with 16 seconds left on the Jags 35. Texans end up kicking a FG with 2 seconds left on the Jags 4 yard line on second down WITH 2 TIMEOUTS LEFT! He is so bad at game/clock management and refuses to acknowledge it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno if it’s definitely stupid or not, but apparently yesterday kingsbury became the first coach since 1974 to kick three field goals from inside the 5 while trailing

Okay, I know the chances of the Jets winning last night were slim with their 3rd string QB in the game, But.....

Down 13-3 with 57 seconds left in the 2nd quarter, the Jets get the ball back on their own 10 yard line. Cleveland has 2 timeouts left. The Jets will get the ball to start the 2nd half. My thought is the play here is to run the ball 3 times and run out the clock because their is no way your offense is getting close to field goal range with their 3rd string QB in there in 57 seconds. So what does Gase do? After running for 2 yards on first down and forcing Cleveland to use their 2nd timeout, he decides to call a pass play which of course, is incomplete. Clock stops. After a delay of game penalty, Gase runs on 3rd down and Cleveland uses their last timeout to force the Jets to punt with 43 seconds. Cleveland, of course, is able to get in FG range and kick a field goal to go up 16-3 at half.

I think any head coach who is also serving as de facto offensive coordinator by calling the offensive plays, is severely handicapping themselves by not being able to take a macro view of the game. Gase, O'Brien, Kingsbury are all examples of this. It amazes me that they are not self aware enough to see their own mistakes.

Freddie Kitchens calling pass plays up 20 against the completely hapless Jets with two minutes left in the game should qualify.  Would’ve been fun to see him explain away a separated shoulder for Mayfield in the post game presser.  

Long Ball Larry said:
Dunno if it’s definitely stupid or not, but apparently yesterday kingsbury became the first coach since 1974 to kick three field goals from inside the 5 while trailing
I think it means when at the gl you need a few tight ends, maybe a full back.

• Thanks
Reactions: J R
dhockster said:
Okay, I know the chances of the Jets winning last night were slim with their 3rd string QB in the game, But.....

Down 13-3 with 57 seconds left in the 2nd quarter, the Jets get the ball back on their own 10 yard line. Cleveland has 2 timeouts left. The Jets will get the ball to start the 2nd half. My thought is the play here is to run the ball 3 times and run out the clock because their is no way your offense is getting close to field goal range with their 3rd string QB in there in 57 seconds. So what does Gase do? After running for 2 yards on first down and forcing Cleveland to use their 2nd timeout, he decides to call a pass play which of course, is incomplete. Clock stops. After a delay of game penalty, Gase runs on 3rd down and Cleveland uses their last timeout to force the Jets to punt with 43 seconds. Cleveland, of course, is able to get in FG range and kick a field goal to go up 16-3 at half.

I think any head coach who is also serving as de facto offensive coordinator by calling the offensive plays, is severely handicapping themselves by not being able to take a macro view of the game. Gase, O'Brien, Kingsbury are all examples of this. It amazes me that they are not self aware enough to see their own mistakes.
Great example. They had something like 40 yards of offense all half and NOW they’re going to go 50+ in seconds??

And completely agreed about the final point. It’s not like these guys seem like expert play callers either.

Vrabel running clock like he is winning when he's down 3 scores in the late 3rd and 4th quarters. 

The offensive line was so bad that maybe he just wanted to get out of there before Mariota got injured... 

Last edited by a moderator:
Vrabel running clock like he is winning when he's down 3 scores in the late 3rd and 4th quarters. 

The offensive line was so bad that maybe he just wanted to get out of there before Mariota got injured... 
Also that last hit of the game on Humphries was pretty solid. Why throw across the middle down multiple scores with 8sec left in the game?

Up by 13 on 4th down and not trying for a field goal is certainly questionable strategy, at least. Yes, a TD "ices" the game. But 16 points does nearly the same, requiring them to score twice then twice again on two specific plays. 
I more or less agree and originally that it was idiotic. But I can see some rationale there if they believed that the only thing that could beat them was a botched or blocked fg taken back for a td. It was wet and sloppy so I could see that rationale. Then I could see it making some sense. Of course they went ahead and threw a sideline out route if I recall correctly so yeah they were probably just being stupid. 

Freddie Kitchens calling pass plays up 20 against the completely hapless Jets with two minutes left in the game should qualify.  Would’ve been fun to see him explain away a separated shoulder for Mayfield in the post game presser.  
Didn't Brady just throw a TD while up 36-0 with like 2 minutes left?  

37-0. To James White. On a screen or something, no less.
But, I kinda can feel what the coach was doing there. He wanted to make the point that the year prior they played hard for all but one play and it cost them the game over there. He went HAM for the full 60 for a reason at least.

But, I kinda can feel what the coach was doing there. He wanted to make the point that the year prior they played hard for all but one play and it cost them the game over there. He went HAM for the full 60 for a reason at least.
Oh, that's right. What a breathtaking display of leadership!

How about Detroit throwing 6 passes on their last 2 possessions, including a dangerous and unnecessarily hail mary on 3rd-down while still in field goal range?

Houston stops the Chargers on 3rd and 1, but LA commits a 5-yard penalty.  Houston backs them up, and they convert the 3rd and 6.

I don't get why coaches actually accept these penalties early in a game, when the other coach (unless it's Belichek or Pederson) is likely to punt on 4th and 1...so often it ends with a 1st down.

Any coach who throws the flag thinking they are going to get a reversal from the refs on PI. My standard answer when I see the play; 'yeah, you aren't winning that challenge".

Does Tomlin trading a top 5 pick for a freaking DB qualify?  Even though his roster is loaded with studs.  God he sucks!

Users who are viewing this thread