What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (4 Viewers)

Anyone read "The Passage" by Justin Cronin? It's getting a lot of hype & looks pretty interesting.
:confused:
Started it yesterday and am about 4 chapters in. So far, each chapter has focused on a different character(s). They're still separate strands right now. Chapter Two is what has really sucked me in - it's one of those that's just a series of e-mails that get progressively stranger. The writing's pretty good so far, but I haven't gotten far enough to get a sense of how good Cronin is at characterization.
Ordered this one from Amazon last night. I hate starting series before they are finished, but nothing beats a good post-apocalyptic novel.

Anyone read "The Passage" by Justin Cronin? It's getting a lot of hype & looks pretty interesting.
:confused: Finished World War Z not too long ago and just started "The Road". Also have read The Stand, I Am Legend, Cell, etc...

Think I may have a morbid obsession with the end of civilization, why do I find that so interesting?

Any other good ones in that vein to recommend?
I enjoyed One Second After.

I also have yet to get to Alas, Babylon. Sitting there waiting to be read.

Just finished up Infected (based on a review in this thread). I enjoyed it and have ordered the sequel Contagious.

Only thing that bugged me about Infected was Perry saying "No bout a doubt it". Don' know why, but it bugged the hell out of me.

Finished off some decent Zombie novels.

As The World Dies.

This is a trilogy that surprisingly held my attention. I was a bit leery because it is written by a woman and was self published. But it worked. She did a good job with it.

I wasn't a fan of one of the main characters, annoyed the hell out of me, but she gets better throughout the trilogy.

Really, who could resist two hot chicks (one a lesbian) running around killing zombies? I was hoping for some hot lesbian scenes, but it didn't happen (sorry shuke). :lmao:

It is what it is, and it kept me entertained.

Dying To Live

Pretty interesting. Lone survivor stumbles upon a compound full of survivors. Fighting off zombies and rescuing other survivors. Liked it.

There is a sequel which I haven't gotten to yet Dying To Live: Life Sentence. I guess it takes place 12 years later and gets a little goofy (communicating with the zombies). But I haven't started it so I can't attest to the exacts.

Finally, I read Day By Day Armegeddon.

Very quick read. Entertaining. Air Force pilot who decideds not to go into the base with his comrades and goes at it alone (at first).

Sequel coming July 13th. I will check it out.

Overall I would recommend all of the above. Don't go in expecting HIGH literature. They are fun books and all have their flaws.

I think the parts I enjoyed most were the human conflicts. All of the books above had the element of not only fighting zombies, but also roving human gangs, dirtbags, etc.

I have also picked up The Passage because of this thread. Looking forward to getting started on it.

Sorry guys, couldn't get into Confederacy of Dunces and I'm returning it to the library after 3 chapters. Books that I've enjoyed have usually had a great story or at least a main character I can identify with and this book had neither, as I detested the main character and the dull life/story that went along with it. Didn't find it funny in the least, and looking at the Amazon 1-star reviews (granted, greatly outnumbered nearly 7:1 by the 5-star reviews) I'm not the only one.

Going to start Peace Like a River and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter in short order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys, couldn't get into Confederacy of Dunces and I'm returning it to the library after 3 chapters. Books that I've enjoyed have usually had a great story or at least a main character I can identify with and this book had neither, as I detested the main character and the dull life/story that went along with it. Didn't find it funny in the least, and looking at the 1-star reviews (granted, greatly outnumbered nearly 7:1 by the 5-star reviews) I'm not the only one.

Going to start Peace Like a River and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter in short order.
I'm half way through Dunces (I was sidetracked by travel) and I have to admit I'm not loving it either, but it's ok. I'm also having a hard time pulling for Ignatius or any character (Gonzalez and Trixie are the closest so far) and the writing style is bizare at times. When two characters are conversing, the author will close a quote for one and then indent and it's the same character talking. I've had to reread several exchanges to figure out what is going on. And the whole patrolman storyline is ridiculous. All in all, I'm not seeing why it's such a popular book. I hope things change!

Sorry guys, couldn't get into Confederacy of Dunces and I'm returning it to the library after 3 chapters. Books that I've enjoyed have usually had a great story or at least a main character I can identify with and this book had neither, as I detested the main character and the dull life/story that went along with it. Didn't find it funny in the least, and looking at the 1-star reviews (granted, greatly outnumbered nearly 7:1 by the 5-star reviews) I'm not the only one.

I'm half way through Dunces (I was sidetracked by travel) and I have to admit I'm not loving it either, but it's ok. I'm also having a hard time pulling for Ignatius or any character (Gonzalez and Trixie are the closest so far) and the writing style is bizare at times. When two characters are conversing, the author will close a quote for one and then indent and it's the same character talking. I've had to reread several exchanges to figure out what is going on. And the whole patrolman storyline is ridiculous. All in all, I'm not seeing why it's such a popular book. I hope things change!
Dunces often suffers because of the high expectations people have for it. It comes highly recommended. People tell you it's hilarious. I enjoyed it and found it very funny at times, but ultimately I couldn't finish it.

Dunces often suffers because of the high expectations people have for it. It comes highly recommended. People tell you it's hilarious. I enjoyed it and found it very funny at times, but ultimately I couldn't finish it.
Hmm. This is my next book after I finish Ghostwritten. It seems most people either adore it or hate it, I'm hoping I at least fall somewhere between. David Mitchell is probably my favorite living author so the contrast might make it rough.

pricklypete said:

As The World Dies.

This is a trilogy that surprisingly held my attention. I was a bit leery because it is written by a woman and was self published. But it worked. She did a good job with it.

I wasn't a fan of one of the main characters, annoyed the hell out of me, but she gets better throughout the trilogy.

Really, who could resist two hot chicks (one a lesbian) running around killing zombies? I was hoping for some hot lesbian scenes, but it didn't happen (sorry shuke). :shrug:

Dying To Live

Pretty interesting. Lone survivor stumbles upon a compound full of survivors. Fighting off zombies and rescuing other survivors. Liked it.

There is a sequel which I haven't gotten to yet Dying To Live: Life Sentence. I guess it takes place 12 years later and gets a little goofy (communicating with the zombies). But I haven't started it so I can't attest to the exacts.

Very quick read. Entertaining. Air Force pilot who decideds not to go into the base with his comrades and goes at it alone (at first).

Overall I would recommend all of the above. Don't go in expecting HIGH literature. They are fun books and all have their flaws.

I think the parts I enjoyed most were the human conflicts. All of the books above had the element of not only fighting zombies, but also roving human gangs, dirtbags, etc.

I have also picked up The Passage because of this thread. Looking forward to getting started on it.
:shrug:

pricklypete said:

As The World Dies.

Really, who could resist two hot chicks (one a lesbian) running around killing zombies? I was hoping for some hot lesbian scenes, but it didn't happen (sorry shuke). :lmao:

Dying To Live

:boner:

Hellfire Snail said:

Hmm. This is my next book after I finish Ghostwritten. It seems most people either adore it or hate it, I'm hoping I at least fall somewhere between. David Mitchell is probably my favorite living author so the contrast might make it rough.
Coming from a guy that just finished it, I didn't really love it or hate it. I thought it was solid, but I wouldn't call it great. I laughed out loud a few times, which is more than I can say for most books that are comedic in nature. For those that didn't or couldn't finish, there were definitely times where I thought about stopping and moving on to something else. In general I finish all books though.In closing, "Oof, my valve."

Just finished Flash Forward. Watched the show on ABC, was disappointed it was canceled and then learned it was based on this book. Really quick read, good book, shame the show didn't follow the book.

Speaking of Zombie novels, I have a few pages left on Monster Nation - David Wellington

Wellington has a trilogy of zombie novels: Monster Island, Monster Nation and Monster Planet. Nation seems to be almost a prequel or parallel to Island; giving more detail and background to how the zombie outbreak has started. I thought Island was much better than this one; and looking at the Amazon.com reviews, it seems I'm not alone. Island takes place in NY, and is more of a classic zombie novel. It gets a little crazy in Nation what with the Scotsman super zombie and all. Still, give me end of the world and/or zombies and I'm effing in.

I have Planet here too, but I might take a quick break before continuing.

Sorry guys, couldn't get into Confederacy of Dunces and I'm returning it to the library after 3 chapters. Books that I've enjoyed have usually had a great story or at least a main character I can identify with and this book had neither, as I detested the main character and the dull life/story that went along with it. Didn't find it funny in the least, and looking at the Amazon 1-star reviews (granted, greatly outnumbered nearly 7:1 by the 5-star reviews) I'm not the only one.
:hifive:Overrated.

Ghostwritten and Dunces go together like mint chocolate chip icecream and sauerkraut. I love both, but I wouldn't want to eat/read one immediately after the other.WRT Dunces, Jones is one of my favorite characters ever. His one liners/malapropisms (and to be honest, I'm not sure which way this falls) throughout are hilarious.

Almost finished with Swann's Way. After a bit of a slog in the beginning, this really hit its stride a couple hundred pages in. The last 200 pages of the main section, "Swann in Love," are absolutely brilliant. Beautiful beautiful stuff. Makes me wish I could read and understand French so I could see it as he actually wrote it. Top 10 books for me. Maybe Top 5 by the time it really sinks in. I'll definitely be reading this again some day ... after I finish the rest of the series. I do think I need a break for something breezier before I move onto the next one.

Ghostwritten and Dunces go together like mint chocolate chip icecream and sauerkraut. I love both, but I wouldn't want to eat/read one immediately after the other.WRT Dunces, Jones is one of my favorite characters ever. His one liners/malapropisms (and to be honest, I'm not sure which way this falls) throughout are hilarious.
Thanks for the insight, I'll buffer it with a couple novels. I've never been able to start a book and quit on it. Leaving a book unread after investing any time in it just doesn't sit well with me, doesn't matter how much I hate it. I loathed Atlas Shrugged with every fibre of my being after 100 pages and forced myself to read every word of it. So on the bright side, nothing could be as excruciating as that.

Finished up Prayers for Rain by Dennis Lehane (of Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone and Shutter Island fame). This is one of the Patrick Kenzie novels - fairly quick read, and pretty dark throughout. Nothing grounbreaking, but a decent crime mystery.

Now a 150 pages or so into the Passage. A touch slow going so far, but still holding my interest. Have a feeling things are going to crank up pretty soon.

bigbottom said:
Now a 150 pages or so into the Passage. A touch slow going so far, but still holding my interest. Have a feeling things are going to crank up pretty soon.
I'm about halfway through & am still enjoying it. I'm not going to go into detail at this point, but I really don't understand where some of the poor reviews on Amazon are coming from. Some of the complaints make me think they either didn't understand what they were reading (I'm not the world's most perceptive reader, but even I picked up on some of the very things they complain are missing) or they stopped reading altogether. The novel does take a left turn about 1/3 of the way in, but I don't see a problem with that - what came before sets it up nicely.

Reliquary by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

After finishing my second Preston and Child book, I think it's safe to say that I'll probably read everything they've written. I really enjoyed this one and the character of Pendergast is really growing on me. I think he and D'Agosta offset each other really well. Looking forward to Cabinet of Curiosities.

If you're into thrillers, you need to check these guys out. But start with Relic before moving onto this one. In fact, don't even read the reviews of this book until you've finished Relic.
just started Relic, but struggling. Doesn't seem all that mysterious, especially when you see the book-jacket blurb of "Alien meets Jurassic Park". Thinking about ditching it, and going to Cabinet. Already read Brimstone, and enjoyed that.

After finishing my second Preston and Child book, I think it's safe to say that I'll probably read everything they've written. I really enjoyed this one and the character of Pendergast is really growing on me. I think he and D'Agosta offset each other really well. Looking forward to Cabinet of Curiosities.

If you're into thrillers, you need to check these guys out. But start with Relic before moving onto this one. In fact, don't even read the reviews of this book until you've finished Relic.
just started Relic, but struggling. Doesn't seem all that mysterious, especially when you see the book-jacket blurb of "Alien meets Jurassic Park". Thinking about ditching it, and going to Cabinet. Already read Brimstone, and enjoyed that.
What is the order in this series? I read Still Life with Crows and enjoyed that (until the ending), and couldn't remember what the order was for the others. I think Still Life was #4, but am not sure.

What is the order in this series? I read Still Life with Crows and enjoyed that (until the ending), and couldn't remember what the order was for the others. I think Still Life was #4, but am not sure.
RelicReliquary

Cabinet of Curiosities

Still Life with Crows

Brimstone

Dance of Death

Book of the Dead

Wheel of Darkness

Cemetary Dance

Fever Dream

Though Cabinet is definitely the best, and they do each work as a stand-alone to some extent, there is a lot of crossover in characters and even plot in these books. Personally, I think it's key to start from the beginning.

And if you liked Still Life, you're bound to like the rest. A lot of people consider that their worst one.

I think that's sort of the point...I don't think you are supposed to feel sorry for or pull for Ignatius at all. I think you are supposed to detest him and revel in his misfortunes. I loved the book, but then again I know somebody that vaguely resembles Ignatius so that made it all the better...

:eek: Finished World War Z not too long ago and just started "The Road". Also have read The Stand, I Am Legend, Cell, etc...

Think I may have a morbid obsession with the end of civilization, why do I find that so interesting?

Any other good ones in that vein to recommend?
I enjoyed One Second After.

I also have yet to get to Alas, Babylon. Sitting there waiting to be read.

Just finished up Infected (based on a review in this thread). I enjoyed it and have ordered the sequel Contagious.

Only thing that bugged me about Infected was Perry saying "No bout a doubt it". Don' know why, but it bugged the hell out of me.
lol, that was annoying.

Looking for new books/authors to read.

Just finished John Irving's latest book "Last night in twisted river" and enjoyed it, although nothing special. Went through a kick of mystery novels and other Dennis Lehane stuff, Cormac's the road, and a few other novels, but am looking for something new.

Currently have a communal me/wife list:

Confederacy of Dunces

Laura Lippman -What the dead know

The Book Thief

The Brass verdict

The Help

BTW, if you've never read it, try "A son of the circus" by Irving. Still sticks with me, as far as unique characters..also, Until I Find You, by Irving sticks with me as well, although Owen Meany and Garp were better books overall.

Just finished John Irving's latest book "Last night in twisted river" and enjoyed it, although nothing special. Went through a kick of mystery novels and other Dennis Lehane stuff, Cormac's the road, and a few other novels, but am looking for something new.

Confederacy of Dunces

The Book Thief

The Brass verdict

The Help

BTW, if you've never read it, try "A son of the circus" by Irving. Still sticks with me, as far as unique characters..also, Until I Find You, by Irving sticks with me as well, although Owen Meany and Garp were better books overall.
I'm an Irving fan. I've read Garp, Hotel New Hampshire, Owen Meany, Cider House Rules, and A Widow For One Year. Son of Circus is on my bookshelf waiting to be read. If you haven't read "A Widow for One Year," I'd highly recommend it, I think it's on par with Garp and Meany. I recently read Empire Falls by Richard Russo and it reminded me of Irving. Less idiosyncratic, but similar heart and humor. Like a lot of Irving's work, it's set in New England and has a likable protagonist, straightforward prose, and a multi-generational story line.

Confederacy of Dunces

The Book Thief

The Brass verdict

The Help

I'm an Irving fan. I've read Garp, Hotel New Hampshire, Owen Meany, Cider House Rules, and A Widow For One Year. Son of Circus is on my bookshelf waiting to be read. If you haven't read "A Widow for One Year," I'd highly recommend it, I think it's on par with Garp and Meany. I recently read Empire Falls by Richard Russo and it reminded me of Irving. Less idiosyncratic, but similar heart and humor. Like a lot of Irving's work, it's set in New England and has a likable protagonist, straightforward prose, and a multi-generational story line.
I enjoyed widow for a year...still remember certain scenes from the story asI f they were stories from either my life or a friends life...very well done. The squash court, the children book names and content...very interesting characters :thumbdown:

Confederacy of Dunces

The Book Thief

The Brass verdict

The Help

I started reading Empire Falls a couple of days ago...stuff's pretty depressing, but it's a good book so far I guess. Reminds me of Olive Kitteridge.

I started and finished Michael Lewis new book (The Big Short) yesterday. This is a fascinating read about the financial crisis.
scariest book i've ever read. dumbfounded by all that went on here. "There were more morons than crooks, but the crooks were higher up."

Started reading Nabokov's complete short stories. But the type in the Vintage International edition is small as hell. Might give up for something a little easier on my old eyes.

I'm about fifty pages into Shantaram by Gregory Davis Roberts. It was given to me by a friend and is excellent so far, although I have about 950 pages left.

Been reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. About 70 pages in and really like it. Seen it ranked up there with novels like Brave New World and 1984, so we'll see how ends.
I like Atwood a lot. Did anyone read her followup to Oryx and Crake? I can't decide if I want to continue to story or not.
It's in the pile to read. The only thing that I've gathered from skimming previews is that it's set at the same time, but follows 2 completely different characters so people could read the books independent of each other.

Just finished The Girl Who Played With Fire.

Got a bit wacky at the end but I can't get enough of Salander. Who's going to play her? Stewart? Portman?

This girl is due to break out. Don't want to see a star in the role.
Just finished it myself. Agreed on Lisabeth. I was so wrapped up in it, I did not see the "Empire Strikes Back" moment. And she really matured in this book.

Been reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. About 70 pages in and really like it. Seen it ranked up there with novels like Brave New World and 1984, so we'll see how ends.
I like Atwood a lot. Did anyone read her followup to Oryx and Crake? I can't decide if I want to continue to story or not.
It's in the pile to read. The only thing that I've gathered from skimming previews is that it's set at the same time, but follows 2 completely different characters so people could read the books independent of each other.
Interesting. I think that makes me more likely to read it. Thanks for the info.

Since I've mentioned it a few times here, below is the recommended list from the FFA as per my thread a few weeks back. They are in order of recommendation. This list has focused me on reading several books, as mentioned, that I never read - some I never heard of - before. To date, I've read 8 new ones and overall I've gotten to 44 on the list. So there is much work to be done.

119 Undaunted Courage Stephen Ambrose
Just picked this one up. Looking forward to it and I'm a fan of Ambrose.
Have started but have put down:

Undaunted Courage - Stephen Ambrose
6 years later, have you picked it back up?

I'm about halfway through & am still enjoying it. I'm not going to go into detail at this point, but I really don't understand where some of the poor reviews on Amazon are coming from. Some of the complaints make me think they either didn't understand what they were reading (I'm not the world's most perceptive reader, but even I picked up on some of the very things they complain are missing) or they stopped reading altogether. The novel does take a left turn about 1/3 of the way in, but I don't see a problem with that - what came before sets it up nicely.
I finished this up yesterday. I'm still digesting it, but some initial thoughts:1. Didn't live up to the hype, but I doubt anything could. It wasn't disappointing - far from it - but was overhyped.2. Cronin writes really well from a stylistic standpoint. He doesn't repeat phrases (I'm looking at you, Mr King) and his descriptions of landscape, etc...are very good.3. Most of the characters are a little flat. Or at least, the personalities of several of them aren't much different from each other. It's probably closer to real life the way he writes them (some are just...boring people). But he probably would do well to liven them up a smidge, which I'm sure the movie will do.4. Cronin doesn't always go for the big bang where you'd expect it. There are several set pieces where you would think the writer would play to the reader's emotions but he holds back. I don't know if that's good or bad, just different.5. The novel is not constant action/gore (though there's plenty of both). There's a lot of introspection from some characters. I suspect that - along with #4 above - is why some of the reviewers (fanboy types) on Amazon don't like it.I enjoyed the book and will read the future installments. But I could see where some may not like it as much as I do. Anyone else finish yet? I'd like to hear others' thoughts.

I'm onto "Devil In The White City" by Erik Larson. This was hyped up pretty good 6 or 7 years ago. I always wanted to check it out, but just now am finally getting around to it.

It's a non-fiction work that follows two men - one, the main architect of Chicago's "White City" for the 1893 World's Fair and the other a serial killer who offed somewhere between 20 & 200 people in Chicago during the same time period. I'm only about 10% in, but it's apparent Larson did his homework. It actually reads like a work of fiction with the exception that there's no real dialogue between characters - in it's place are quotes from newspapers, official documents, memoirs, etc...

I'm onto "Devil In The White City" by Erik Larson. This was hyped up pretty good 6 or 7 years ago. I always wanted to check it out, but just now am finally getting around to it.

It's a non-fiction work that follows two men - one, the main architect of Chicago's "White City" for the 1893 World's Fair and the other a serial killer who offed somewhere between 20 & 200 people in Chicago during the same time period. I'm only about 10% in, but it's apparent Larson did his homework. It actually reads like a work of fiction with the exception that there's no real dialogue between characters - in it's place are quotes from newspapers, official documents, memoirs, etc...
Loved this book.

So Cold the River - Michael Koryta

might remind you of The Shining
ok, maybe a poor man's Shining. The plot climax didn't live up to the lead-in. But there is a spooky old hotel and an increasingly obsessive guy seeing things. i'd still recommend the book, but temper your expectations.next: Slaughterhouse Five or a James Lee Burke

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, which melded historical facts with vampire hunting. Entertaining and generally a light read. Recommend it for those who enjoy history.

Also just finished Peace Like a River, which I loved. Though an atheist, I enjoyed the religious overtones throughout the book and felt the book was one of the best I've read in a long, long time. Simple and eloquent writing style that made you feel like you were there.

Users who are viewing this thread