What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone own a 4K Television (4 Viewers)

:shrug: I have never used any modes for what I'm watching. I look up the settings on avsforums that people have after getting their display calibrated and then never change it.
agree. For most people its hard to adjust to the settings that give the accurate colors, which end up showing more gold/yellow tones instead compared to the intense blue tones on the tv's on display in the stores.

I have the 65inch B7 and the 55 inch Q9.  I don't notice any lag in the sports.

In fact, the B7 in sport mode for football kind of sucks, TBH.  The ball hollows out (disappears/is erased) when it is thrown.  Super annoying.  Problem doesn't happen in Technicolor setting but I like it a bit brighter for sports.

The Q9 is awesome for sports.
yeah, don't use sport mode

Otis said:
This Samsung The Frame TV is totally awesome. It really looks like a picture on the wall. Highly recommend. 
How is the actual TV picture performance? This appear to be good enough to use as a daily tv in addition to the art stuff? 

How is the actual TV picture performance? This appear to be good enough to use as a daily tv in addition to the art stuff? 
For me yes. It’s not like an OLED or anything but looks like all my other Samsung TVs. Solid picture.  But again I’m not a hardcore TV guy. 

For me yes. It’s not like an OLED or anything but looks like all my other Samsung TVs. Solid picture.  But again I’m not a hardcore TV guy. 
Thanks.

This would be my first 4K tv, so picture may be good enough for me too. Don't need the best thing out there. The art part appeals to me, just been wondering if that's worth it.

Thanks.

This would be my first 4K tv, so picture may be good enough for me too. Don't need the best thing out there. The art part appeals to me, just been wondering if that's worth it.
At the half price deal I got, feels totally worth it. Again, in part because it’s a formal living room where we don’t frequently watch TV. Perfect for this. 

By the way, I should note it also comes in the box with a custom wall mount that mounts the TV flat against the wall.  It was actually one of the easiest installs I've done, and it looks great hanging tight against the wall like that.

Anyone want to find me a TV to purchase this weekend?

Its for the living room, replacing a 43” LG plasma that’s on the fritz and too small. The new one needs to be 65” and around $1000. 

Primary uses are 1) sports; 2) gaming; and a distant 3) movies

It will sit on a wall directly across and 10’ away from a couch. Behind the couch is an East-facing window, but it never gets direct sunlight. The TV will sit on a stand for now  

I’m a BJ’s member, but have all the big box stores nearby. 

I can also buy a reasonable soundbar if recommended

Thanks friends!

This Samsung The Frame TV is totally awesome. It really looks like a picture on the wall. Highly recommend. 
My FIL visited this weekend. In our living room he looked up and says “wow, got rid of the TV in here huh.”  He had no idea the Frame TV was not a painting or photo. Was blown away. Thing is great. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Its for the living room, replacing a 43” LG plasma that’s on the fritz and too small. The new one needs to be 65” and around $1000. 

It will sit on a wall directly across and 10’ away from a couch. Behind the couch is an East-facing window, but it never gets direct sunlight. The TV will sit on a stand for now  

Thanks friends!
Some others can chime in on sports, but I have the previous version of this TCL and it is great. Considered one of the best buys for picture quality. Sound sucks, so you would definitely need a sound bar or stereo system. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204551.p?skuId=6204551. Also, here is a great review, and a good resource to look for TV's that are great with sports. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-r617-2018.

Edit to add: this is a Roku TV. I like it, but some folks may not.

Some others can chime in on sports, but I have the previous version of this TCL and it is great. Considered one of the best buys for picture quality. Sound sucks, so you would definitely need a sound bar or stereo system. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204551.p?skuId=6204551. Also, here is a great review, and a good resource to look for TV's that are great with sports. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-r617-2018.

Those TCL TVs are a great value. I have the 55 inch one.  They get good reviews for gaming.

We have two TCLs in my house. For cord cutters especially it’s a no brainer. The 65” picture is fantastic. 

Thanks I just bought it. Great reviews and $700! Wow. Now I need a sound bar

shadyridr said:
Hmm thats weird. When I checked Amazon it was $100 more expensive. Oh well. Most of my viewing habits are Fios anyway
It’s showing a price of $819 for me at that amazon link 

randall146 said:

Thanks friends!
I suggest doing some research on this site:  https://www.rtings.com/

They are really good at recommending options for every price point.

shadyridr said:
Thanks I just bought it. Great reviews and $700! Wow. Now I need a sound bar
One thing I failed to mention. The first TV I got had a bad screen. It was as if the screen had a warp in it. Took it back and the second one was fine. Be sure to check the screen thouroughly (I noticed it prominently when I had my PS4 on with the light blue background). Also, I used RTings recommended settings using the Roku app as @Mile High mentioned.   https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-r617-2018/settings

This TCL is a great TV and awesome value, but the remote sucks really bad. 

Bump for Black Friday TV deals.  I have a 55” Samsung LED in the bedroom that I’m considering upgrading to 65” OLED.   Think we’ll get a sub $1k OLED this Black Friday? 

Just got back from Best Buy and looked at some 8k tvs.  Just flat out amazing. The 82in Samsung was under 7k--but give it a year and I bet it drops closer to 3k. 

The 98in Sony was selling at $70,000!!  :no:

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
We have two TCLs in my house. For cord cutters especially it’s a no brainer. The 65” picture is fantastic. 
I did some network analysis tools and found the TCL to just obliterate the wifi when streaming.  So much so I pulled cable to hard wire it.  It's a nice TV, but if you bump into wifi bandwidth issues while using it, just be aware.

Question:

If one has a 4k TV and a 4k media player and one wants to play a regular 1080p blu ray, is it better to let the player handle the 1080p natively when sending to tv, or is it best to let the player up convert it to 4k?

Question:

If one has a 4k TV and a 4k media player and one wants to play a regular 1080p blu ray, is it better to let the player handle the 1080p natively when sending to tv, or is it best to let the player up convert it to 4k?
My understanding based on my lurking days at AVS is it shouldn’t matter unless you are running a low end tv.  

Walking Boot said:
:blackdot:

Looking at upgrading. I was considering a 65" but I might go up to 75". Right now the TCL 75R617 is my frontrunner, but also considering the Sony X800G if I go that big. 
That was my final 2 choices as well. Ended up with the Sony and zero regrets. TCL was tempting, but figured the Sony would last longer

I love our TCL but the standard remote is really really bad. When I purchased, there was a model that was $50 more than the base version that included a Bluetooth remote. Definitely get that. 

I have a Tivo so that's the only remote I use. I haven't touched the remote that came with the TV in years. 
That would work too. I paired the TV with our Comcast remote, but control is very limited with the Comcast remote and doesn’t work navigating any of the apps. I should probably look into another universal remote. 

I'm a little concerned about the TCL "vertical banding"/bad panel issue. I'd hate to have to go through three or four rounds of returns hoping to get one without a panel that should have been rejected by QC.
I grabbed the 75 TCL a month ago. No banding issues whatsoever. Been very happy with it, especially at its price.  Picture is fantastic (full disclosure this is my first 4K, upgraded from standard HD). Love the Roku system. Highly recommend.

I grabbed the 75 TCL a month ago. No banding issues whatsoever. Been very happy with it, especially at its price.  Picture is fantastic (full disclosure this is my first 4K, upgraded from standard HD). Love the Roku system. Highly recommend.
Got mine 2 years ago, no issues so far.

The App based remote is awesome.  Almost magical.
What’s this now

Ahh, you mean the remote app.  It’s a PIA to get my phone out every time and go find the app.  And then on top of that you can’t feel for the buttons, you have to look down at it.  The regular remote isn’t the best, but it’s pretty easy to navigate in total dark without having to look at it.  

Users who are viewing this thread